Sign in to follow this  
pochp

[CP1.1] µ12: In Depth Q&A

This thread just contains answers to questions that explain topics in a bit more depth. I thought it would be a good resource to be able to easily access these. The information in this thread can be updated, and won't necessarily match the original posts. If you have any questions you're looking for an answer to, ask them in the Gameplay Discussion thread.

I'll probably be editing this thread's format for a bit, to see what works well. If you have any comments... Gameplay Discussion thread.

Question :

How do I do the charged stein midscreen combo?

Answer :

Generally delaying j.b j.c j.2c will help make it work. I feel like in some situations though, you're better off not delaying too much, as it causes the laser to miss.

If you do it from like starting positions, dash 6b 6c etc. on Jin, iirc you don't need to delay j.b j.c j.2c, so it should at least help you figure out if that's what you're screwing up.

Maybe this video I made, or the description's content will be able to help you : https://www.youtube....h?v=MzNXhtS6MnQ Note that although I try it in casuals very often, I think I only successfully finish it less than half the time. It becomes really awkward when you go for it on stuff like roll catch 2b 5c 6c etc. I also don't use this combo in tournaments yet.

Question :

How do I oki?

Answers :

check this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osJTW0O4T6c

Midscreen

...6c j.xd 9JC Safejump j.b - The classic, falling j.b will catch rolls under most circumstances and combo into a grounded 5c, allowing a full combo.

...Tachi j.xd 2b Meaty/Crossunder - The move might be new but the situation isn't, applies near identically to old j.2c midscreen knockdown.

...SoD xx2d 214d - Now that SoD is stein cancelable and has an extended untechable period due to slide, it's more realistic to meaty a bomb shot. Can be picked up with dash 5c/2b

...j.2c (j.236d)/(j.214d)/(j.xd) - j.2c's old gravity cancel aspect is gone, so it's no longer possible to cancel into drive at the lowest heights. However air specials still completely stop your air movement, and you're just far enough from the ground to get the fastest possible recovery as if they were TK versions.

Corner

...j.c j.2c j.2d j.5d ADC j.b - j.b WILL safejump every uppercut in the game, including ID (as it has been slowed down to 9f) Works great as a DP bait as the answer to most airdash mixup is to uppercut. On block the j.b can be chained into j.2c for an overhead, or j.2c whiff for even more ambiguous mixup. In the event that you do block a reversal, blocking will cause the steins to cancel warming up, allowing for an uninterrupted 2c CH 7.6k punish.

...j.c j.2c j.5d j.6d Meaty 2b - After confirming respect, chain 2b into any JC'able move into IAD :j.c. The steins will allow a combo in the event of a hit, interrupt a jumpout or AA 5a attempt, and push them out of the corner, giving j.b the ability to cross them up if they remain crouching, as mu will shoot over them. If they stand up to block the IAD j.b, all your mixup options get an extension, as now you have access to reverse chain j.a/j.2c and the like.

More stuff :

Midscreen :

There are characters/players that you feel like you can beat at neutral. Don't bother running oki on them, just end combos with Sword of Decimation, and set up a lot of steins. You don't want to take the risk that you'll guess wrong and give up the advantage. Ex :

2a 2b 2c 5c SoD 5d 4d 236a

Otherwise, here are a few things you can do :

2a 2b 2c 5c SoD dash meaty 2b - you can do the 2b earlier to catch rolls, it's not very tight, but worth it against valk, haz, tao, and staffless litchi, at least.

...6c 5d 2d SoD - they block SoD, then the lasers from 5d and 2d come out and keep them in place.

...6c 5d SoD dash 2d 214d - if they don't wake up right, they'll get hit by 5d and it'll combo into 214d.

...6c 5[d] j.c - depending on height and character, can be a safejump, and then you get good mixup options. - see https://www.youtube....h?v=Spdcw1ZK00M

...not lowest j.2c j.5d dash meaty 2b - same as first one, except you have a laser to hitconfirm or continue your blockstring. Ex : ...2b 5b 3c ]d[ airdash j.c j.2c

...j.2c dash crossunder 2b whiff - alternative option on j.2c, the crossunder gives a nice mixup, and is also the same timing to catch back rolls. You can also 2b earlier to fake the crossup.

...6c ikutachi j.5d dash crossunder 2b whiff - mix of the two ones above, you get a mixup and a laser to help get a full combo. ex : 2b 3c ]d[ j.b j.c j.2c etc.

Corner :

The advantage here is you can generally cover more options than midscreen, so it's usually worth going for. There are once again too many setups to list everything, so here are a few ideas to get you started. First, here's a basic setup for a bad starter :

-2a 2b 5c SoD 5c 6c 2d 623c jump forward barrier, then either airdash j.b/j.2c or land 2b - safejump, as you're blocking, and then if they don't immediately reversal, they block the laser from 2d, and you can mix them up. If they block this mixup, you're still in a good position.

Here's how to safejump 9f reversals off anything :

-throw 5c 2c j.b j.c dj.c j.2c land j.b/j.c

-6b 6c SoD 6a 5c 2c j.b j.c dj.c j.2c land j.b/j.c

-2b 5c SoD 5c 2c j.c j.2c 2b 6a 6b 5d j.a j.b j.c dj.c j.2c land j.b/j.c

Standard setups, these are all done off a j.2c that is higher than minimum height, so either like j.c j.2c, sj.2c, dj.2c, delay j.2c, etc.

-2d 6d 2b 3c neutral jump (block) - baits counterassault, then, on hit, wait for the steins to hit, keep blocking in case they burst, then do like j.c j.2c etc. on block you can do an airdash mixup, so either late airdash j.b, or land 2b, or late j.2c.

-2d 6d 2b 3c forward jump (block) - same as above, except it'll drag the opponent out of the corner allowing for a cross up or any other dirty tricks you can think of. Don't do this if they have a burst, a good chance they'll use it, which knocks you down in the corner.

-j.5[d] (2a 6a 2b 3c)/(2a 6b) gives you one mixup, hitconfirms on hit, and allows you to keep the string going on block.

-j.5d 2b - catch rolls, and still get a single laser, so similar options to the midscreen one afterwards.

-j.2d j.6d walk late DP - Confirms on hit, and on block you keep the advantage due to the steins. Feels kind of gimmicky but works rather well.

There's an old setup from CS that I haven't tried in matches yet but seems really solid, as I see some Jp players go for it, requires a more specific combo ender though (which is why I didn't know you could do it in this game yet), ex :

-2b 5c SoD 5c 2c j.2c 2b 5c 2c sj.2c j.5d 2b 6a :2c j.c j.2c j.5[d] (2b) - the 2b at the end will catch rolls, and will whiff if they neutral tech. It'll also place you out of range of some reversals, like inferno divider, so they can't even RC. You lose your meaty though, but get a charged laser which gives you similar options to the previous setups.

Most of these corner setups I listed end with you having the advantage, you can usually go for one more ground mixup, so like high/low/throw/throw bait, and then eventually go into 236d/214d, keep the advantage, maybe get another mixup. Do your best to keep them in the corner, take minimal risks, stay at the range where if they airdash they still land in front of you.

update : new video with more setups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnUui0h5QZc

Question :

When is usually the best time to use Blessed Mirror, and what are some usual ways Mu tends to use meter save for Wisdom of The Divines to go for the kill?

Answers :

I like to use blessed mirror after one of those ambiguous neutral situations, where it's not clear who has the advantage, but you know there isn't anything your opponent can do about this, and you might even catch him doing something. Ex : you get hit by a normal hit counter assault, tech in the air, they're pretty far, and you have a stein behind them, plus two more somewhere else. It's also a pretty reliable way to beat certain moves that are kinda hard to beat with other moves, such as Valkenhayn's wolf cannons, taokaka's drive, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by saving meter. Don't use supers in combos unless you're going for the kill? Besides that, I mean I don't hesitate to use meter for mixup (6b RC, 3c RC, j.2c RC), counterassault, dp rc, bait bursts and counterassaults, crush trigger as mixup, and RC combos if the starter is decent, to get some corner carry and a good setup (also, considering super doesn't add that much compared to the ~1.5k min you should get from an RC combo). I'll occasionally use it in a corner combo if I'm at this range where after SoD I'm so far that I'll only get 5c 6c (not 5c 2c nor 2b 5c), and it would give me a considerable damage difference. Mmm I guess about counterassault, I don't get reckless with it either blocking a bit then backdashing or DP gives meter too. I prefer other defensive options, unless my opponent might force me into a 50/50, and I still sometimes use it as a panic button (and get baited and die) ;_; ... Oh I guess another thing you could do is try to have creative and long blockstrings, they'll build you more meter than you'd usually have.

Question :

How should I place steins and use the specials that go with them?

Answers :

How to place steins... it's kind of ambiguous, they let you do multiple things, but you also have to be careful when you place them. They can :

-Shoot to prevent your opponent from getting close to you.

-Shoot your opponent to provide cover for you to get in.

-Force the opponent to move in a particular way or take a particular action, anticipate, and counter.

After they are placed, there are a few things you can do with them too

-If they are well spread out, a 236d could be good (tk if you can).

-If there are some where you think your opponent might go, 214d can control space nicely.

-If one of them happens to be on your opponent during a blockstring, 214d can be used to extend your pressure. 236d as well if you're feeling a bit greedy.

-If your opponent happens to be on one while you were attempting a jump in, you can 214d to beat their anti air.

My rule of thumb for the placements is :

5d : fastest recovery and good in all aspects.

2d : Mainly used when to prevent them from getting close imo. Great placement to alternate with 5d for a good 236d, also on the ground so practical for 214d in pressure later.

4d : Mainly used to provide cover, alternating with 5d. Not as effective for 236d. Good at controlling air space with 214d if that's important for the matchup. Also nice when used close to others with 214d in pressure as it'll prevent jumping opponents from escaping.

6d : Very useful as a first laser for 236d, since opponents tend to jump when they see it come out, and it tags them right where they were going. Not as effective as the others in other aspects imo.

j.d, j.4d same as 4d. j.2d similar to 2d, depending on height. j.6d kind of like 6d but not as effective.

So now that you have all this information, the question remains, how do you place them? Easy answer : depends on the matchup, and what you want to accomplish. Here are some quick examples.

-use 2d when running away from valk. one at a time so you aren't forced to block a cannon. He has enough mobility to cross over to the other side of a 5d or 4d which has a good chance of screwing up their aiming completely. The shot itself is unreliable, but since he can't block as a wolf, good awareness of where and when it'll fire can help you block some of his movement options.

-use 6d 236d when playing against rachel. If they block, the pumpkin goes away, so when they see the projectile, there's a good chance they'll try to avoid it, and jump straight into it (obv, if you have more than one stein out so even if that misses you'll get more out of it).

-against Nu, use 5d from fullscreen (out of 5d range), while looking at them. you can then cancel into a jump if you see their 4d, or into another stein if you see a 6d whiff (or I guess 236a if you see 214d~c but I doubt it). Then, time your approach with the shots. Similar vs izayoi in normal mode, or any character that is throwing fireballs.

In any case, your specials' effectiveness is maximized once all your steins are out. A nice 5d 2d 236a 5d 6d tkj.236d pattern, for instance, will cover a lot of the screen for a good period of time, most likely keep your opponent there, and let you get in and start your pressure. However, if they are spaced poorly, it will just be a long startup move that won't give you much in return. Similarly, you don't want to use steins at any given point. First, you want to make sure your opponent is respecting your range, so it comes down to a lot of gauging them and using normals to keep them out (2b 5c j.c mostly). Once they give you a little too much room to breathe, you can use steins to force them into something. Don't forget, if you blocked before the shot got fired, that placement worked against you. Your objective at neutral isn't only to place steins either, I mean, if they just keep getting hit by normals keep at it.

As for the specials themselves, I explained some of what they can be used for, but you don't also need to use them because you can. While you're doing a mix of running away and setting steins, it's pretty annoying to your opponent. Once you use a special, the steins are consumed, so they can see it as a chance to do something, as they know that no lasers are coming for the next small period of time. So sometimes, you just want to stick to steins, as to never give up your advantage.

If you're getting started, an important step would also be to know the various ways to convert off random individual stein hits. It's kind of useful to know which hits you can actually convert into a combo, and which hits you can't. Trying to convert and whiffing a move through their recovery can actually lead to a loss. I like to try with j.a j.c j.2c and then adjust depending on the height, if I can dash 2b or not, or just go straight for oki. Sometimes, straight j.c if I'm sure of it and they're too far for j.a, but it's risky.

Question :

Round openers?

Answers :

I feel like the basic Mu stuff would be something between 5c, backdash, or air backdash. So, most opponents would expect one of these and do something that counters them. Lots of other characters have button that could specifically beat our 5c at the beginning (some would whiff if we don't extend our hurtbox with 5c), not having the most recovery, this is kinda safe on their part. Slightly riskier would be to simply dash forward and catch up with our backdash, start some pressure. Safer would be to either do nothing, jump back, or backdash themselves, minimizing the initial risk and trying to find a safer way in eventually. Of course, there are other options, but assuming it's the first time I face someone, I doubt they'd try something else. Also, some characters have some special stuff, obviously.

To counter these, here are some of the options I like to use :

-walk back, then dash 2b : this has to be done fast enough so you can whiff punish a ragna starting a round with 5b let's say. It also does good against other options, as if they're dashing forward they don't usually expect you to be that close, and if they back off, 2b recovers fast enough that you aren't at much of a risk. If for some reason they try a slightly slower but longer range poke, you'll also block it, which is nice. Off the top of my head, it's also good against litchi 5b, litchi itsuu, tsubaki 5b, tsubaki 22b, probably many others.

-jump forward (optional barrier or j.a) : if they whiff a move, you press a button and punish, if they back off, you can start playing neutral but with more space behind you, if they don't do anything, depending on your assertion of them, either airdash back to avoid the anti air, or try to press a button. I like it vs valk 5b, amane 3c. Barrier if they might start the round with a normal that can hit where you are, or j.a if they don't and think they might jump forward, iad forward.

-super jump back : then if they ground dash forward, just airdash forward over them. If they stay there, you're at a good distance to start neutral.

And other stuff :

-if I'm sure they'll airdash back : start the round with iad j.c and start pressure.

-if I'm sure they'll jump forward j.a at the start : slightly delay a jump forward into j.a/j.b to punish their whiff.

-against relius I like super jump back j.d, hard for him to catch, if you see 214b, airdash forward to avoid it.

-against bang I like to start with 2b, if they dash forward they get hit, it's kind of hard for them to specifically beat it at that range, recovers fast on whiff, and if they somehow beat it, I'm crouching so they don't get too much, I think.

-against tager I like to IAD back j.d then backdash. places me at the right spot to start zoning them, not much they can do about it, I think?

-if they try to get fancy and forget about 5c, I'll throw it out every now and then.

-sometimes I just feel like doing j.2c, it just feels right and might work. kinda risky but good reward.

Of course, sometimes I go for the other options I listed, like ground dash forward, backdash, iad back, but rather rarely, and mostly when running a long set, just to throw out something "new" and unexpected.

Question :

What are Mu's reversal options?

Answer :

Omo and DP both have their uses, there's also the universal mechanics like backdash, and more advanced techniques like fuzzy jump that can be added. Always important to vary your wakeup itself (vary the delay, occasional roll or quick getup. rolls are especially strong midscreen) too, as since your reversals can be safejumped, you want to make it hard for them to do so.

Omohikane has lots of invincibility and more range than DP. The superflash however means that if the opponent was going to delay (or mistime) their meaty, they can reconsider or kara cancel into barrier during the super flash if it isn't too late. It's also slow enough that it's not hard to safejump. If it's blocked you need 100 meter to stay safe, which can be kind of hard. Due to the superflash, the opponent might do something to make it whiff, and then you won't even be able to RC. Strong threat against Valk since he'll usually meaty at a safe distance where DP won't hit him, but super will reach, he can't block in wolf form, and the superflash can cause his OS to work against him. Don't abuse, can be called out.

DP doesn't cost 50 meter, so you can RC to make it safe on block, or get a combo into a setup on hit. The range is pretty bad though, and it has a slow startup, so a standard safejump will beat it, the opponent can time a meaty to be safe (kind of like against Jin's C DP). Really great against doll meaties (carl, relius, even rachel's george), as you can "guarantee" that your DP will hit something, allowing you to RC even if it doesn't hit the character, and then pick your escape.

Backdash is kind of what makes Mu's defensive options decent, as the opponent usually has to go out of their way to bait it (meaning they'll be vulnerable to the other options). It moves back kind of quickly and far, so even if the invuln frames don't look impressive (1-5 inv, 22 total), it's strong. Also doesn't put you airborne, which can reduce the rewards on certain characters calling it out. A successful backdash that makes a move whiff will usually put you at a range where 5c is strong, which is a great plus. An OS I like doing with backdash is if I think my opponent might cross me up on his oki, I tap 446AB or 664AB. I either get backdash or barrier. Doesn't work if the setup is perfectly meaty, but being able to delay your tech makes it rather hard for them to do so.

Fuzzy jump is the other solid option in my opinion. It's a technique where you hold down back, then tap up back during the gaps in your opponent's blockstrings, and then quickly down-back again. That way, if there is no gap, you don't jump, and don't expose yourself to low attacks (like up-back would). If there is a gap (ex: opponent does 2a throw), you jump away. Vulnerable to frame traps, but you can backdash those, so whatever. Although it's not a reversal option, I felt like mentioning it, as it's something to consider on your defence too.

Then in the more gimmicky and fun stuff, you can do wakeup j.2c which is great at calling out opponents who will delay their meaty to call out your backdash, or meaty throw. Some people like to jump in as if they were going to safejump your DP, then jump back with the intention of making it whiff once you have 50 meter. You can call this out with wakeup jump throw, or just do nothing then dash forward and anti-air them as they won't have their air options. You can also wakeup 2a, and I do it sometimes if I feel my opponent is too scared of something or sloppy, but the risk/reward really doesn't compare with the other options I've mentioned.