Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whimsikal

Newbies of P4A, unite!

Hey,

so this thread kind of evolved into a place where less skilled people (like me) look for sparring partners. Apparently there are plenty of people who have abandoned P4A some time ago (or have never played it) and want to get in shape for P4U. 

This thread has an apropriate title and is posted in the regarding subforum, so I guess it could draw even more rookies in, who look for somebody to improve with together.

So: If you are searching for some fun matches with people who are as unexperienced as you are, then go ahead and post your online ID here :)

edit: Totally forgot to post mine, haha :D I am on PSN only: Okidoki_Sir

edit2: I guess posting your main would be a good idea aswell, so that people can contact you if they are looking for specific matchups. Mine is Chie, obviously :D

How much of a beginner are you looking for? I've been playing for a year but I don't consider myself to be especially good.

Well, then you are definetely not the kind of beginner that suits my needs (but maybe someone elses :D). I am still struggling with basic execution, so I guess it would be boring for you :D

Dive-slam, you down for some games tonight? Will be on around 6:45pm and pretty much only have week 1 Yu, but I'm hoping to get back into things and play some. Been on the original thread that Whimsikal is talking about as well: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8822-p4a-worth-playing/

Well, then you are definetely not the kind of beginner that suits my needs (but maybe someone elses :D). I am still struggling with basic execution, so I guess it would be boring for you :D

You should accept help from all who offers regardless of skill. Dive might be a better player but there are things that he can teach you.

You should accept help from all who offers regardless of skill. Dive might be a better player but there are things that he can teach you.

I didnt notice him being a Chie player, in which case you are right. But in general, I would say: You can't learn much from a player that is far better than you. This is because he will just kill you with his super long combos and the only thing you can do is watch. A newer player on the other hand needs more combos to finish you off and therefore there is much more neutral play. Apart from that: Losing 30 matches in a row is not fun, as it is not rewarding.

That being said: Dive, wanna teach me a thing or two about Chie?

I can...kind of agree with Whimsikal on this one. A player that's slightly more skilled can be excellent for learning, there's no denying that. But if you're a low rank up against an S and you can't even get a move in, you're not really learning much. I guess it may be helpful in that it teaches how to block and deal with set ups and stuff. Maybe.

I lost 40 matches to ccrocker58 one night. (I did get a few rounds and put him into Awakening sometimes. That's my victory right now.)

But I'm a month or so into FGs, I don't care if I lose so long as I can put up a fight, and, honestly, you just have to take your losses if you want to improve.

I'm not a beginner, but I have a pretty crappy SLab and Mitsuru I'm willing to use vs new players if anyone wants to add me.

I'm not a beginner, but I have a pretty crappy SLab and Mitsuru I'm willing to use vs new players if anyone wants to add me.

If you want to join in, you're welcome; I've been running sessions that feature novices (new to FGs, working on bringing up various skills bit by bit until they converge -- that would be... me), experienced players new to P4A (several people), intermediate-level (illness690 says intermediate but he's pretty high-level "intermediate") players coming back to P4A... it's a nice assortment and everyone is rocking a different main. No one has a Shadow Labrys, though, and we only have one Mitsuru (lots of people looking for experience with that MU), so you're more than welcome. I keep my mic on, and so do some others, as that makes it easier to coordinate and allows everyone to share tech, feedback, match analysis, etc. If that sounds good to you, let me know so I can add you to the list.

I usually put "DL" somewhere in the room name and keep slots private. If you want in, I'll just invite you if I'm running a room and I see you log on. No need to apologise if you can't make it or would rather train. (If I'm "unavailable," I'm in training, not hosting.) If people want rematches or rotation needs to be shaken up, I try to stay on top of requests. (That includes music and stages. Feel free to ask for anything but "Spirited Girl.") No one wants to wait eight matches for their turn, so it's usually 2/3 rounds, loser out, three-match limit for winners, the goal being that we get variety in MUs.

We have: Labrys (one very solid main, one equally solid sub); a boss Mitsuru; an excellent Akihiko ("get hit and die" Akihiko); an Aigis who doesn't retreat if overheated (me); a ungodly good non-netplay Narukami (no sweep > 5DD bullshit all match); and then some subs -- I have a half-assed Yosuke, we have some Chie subs and a Narukami sub that's great at the Izanagi Sandwich ... I know some others expressed interest in sparring but I haven't seen them yet (one plays Yukiko).

If you want to join in, you're welcome; I've been running sessions that feature novices (new to FGs, working on bringing up various skills bit by bit until they converge -- that would be... me), experienced players new to P4A (several people), intermediate-level (illness690 says intermediate but he's pretty high-level "intermediate") players coming back to P4A... it's a nice assortment and everyone is rocking a different main. . .

Can I be part of this group? I play Yosuke since December 25 :D

Sure! I'm not going to be bringing my signature Yosuke out much any longer (and by signature I mean OH GODDAMNIT FULL SCREEN AWAY GARUDYNE I WANTED SUKUKAJA), as I really need to focus on my main (Aigis), and while I've met a few good Yosukes in ranked, I need to work on that MU (and Yosuke's awesomeness... I am probably going to legit sub the guy come Ultimax). So you're welcome to join the party. If you feel like helping me with my Yosuke game, that would be most awesome.

As a general FYI, I'll probably be on in about an hour and a half, so, yes, there will be a meet-up later tonight. I had to finish baking PokePuffs for a birthday party... icing everywhere... never again.... Sweet merciful Jesus, pass the salt.

Sure! I'm not going to be bringing my signature Yosuke out much any longer (and by signature I mean OH GODDAMNIT FULL SCREEN AWAY GARUDYNE I WANTED SUKUKAJA), as I really need to focus on my main (Aigis), and while I've met a few good Yosukes in ranked, I need to work on that MU (and Yosuke's awesomeness... I am probably going to legit sub the guy come Ultimax). So you're welcome to join the party. If you feel like helping me with my Yosuke game, that would be most awesome.

As a general FYI, I'll probably be on in about an hour and a half, so, yes, there will be a meet-up later tonight. I had to finish baking PokePuffs for a birthday party... icing everywhere... never again.... Sweet merciful Jesus, pass the salt.

I'll be on in probably around 20 minutes if you want to play. And I know someone that mains Yosuke that would probably be willing to help you out if you ever decide to learn Yosuke better. Though I agree with your idea of focusing on your main for now.

How I wish I was from your timezone, too :/ Anybody from Europe in here?

I'll be up for a little while longer if you want to play. I also played against someone in the UK for a GAF tourney recently and the connection was fine, so it won't necessarily be bad.

I'll be up for a little while longer if you want to play. I also played against someone in the UK for a GAF tourney recently and the connection was fine, so it won't necessarily be bad.

Haha, it's 9AM where I am and I gotta work till 5PM :D I guess you wont be able to be online THAT long :D

Haha, it's 9AM where I am and I gotta work till 5PM :D I guess you wont be able to be online THAT long :D

Most likely not! Though you'll be getting off work around the time I'm waking up. I don't know how much time I'll have for netplay today though. 

My face when I woke up seeing this after blacking out yesterday evening  :v:  #GradSchoolStruggles

Oh well, since it's July 3rd - I'm all but guaranteed for the next 3 and a half days so...

I can't teach you Yosuke but I can teach you every last stupid detail about Aigis. If anybody ever wants to just learn stuff or have me yell about how neutral works hit me up.

AnneIFrank: I'm floored. That's amazingly kind of you and I will definitely take you up on that offer. I'll try to shoot off a PM in the next few days.

For those asking about meeting up: tomorrow, I will start a room no later than 9PM EST (for those of us who are no longer entranced by things going BOOM). Monday, same deal, so if you made it last Monday, please come again! Tonight is ... not likely.

You don't have to RSVP, but it is nice to know who to expect and who definitely can't make it, so do post if you're so inclined.

It's no biggie, I don't really netplay but I like to teach people and help where I can. If you're into Aigis read the wiki cause movement, then hit me up and I can drop lots of combos and random tiny details not covered there. I won't be available tomorrow cause muricah day, and probably not Saturday. Sunday/Monday/Wednesday are the best days to catch me.

Not exactly a beginner myself, but I'm currently in the process of learning Labrys after focusing solely on one character for almost a year. I main Yosuke, and I'd be glad to share what I know if you're interested.

Those were nice matches today . . . and sorry. I didn't know when did I came to this level of playing (intermediate), it's just that I'm used to lose most of the time.

Those were nice matches today . . . and sorry. I didn't know when did I came to this level of playing (intermediate), it's just that I'm used to lose most of the time.

Intermediates are welcome. To be honest, I'm the only true novice (about a month of FG experience), so I feel bad that I can't offer much in the way of competition sometimes. (I mean, it's gotta be pretty dull to fight someone that free.) But watching stronger players is always a treat and I learned so much just observing your matches. (Goddamn, I love Yosuke.)

illness690 is very strong, ccrocker58 is newish to P4A but not FGs, HDT is ridiculous... good players are welcome if they'd like to contribute. The only thing I don't want is for lower tier people to be constantly put in "get hit and die" situations, because while you have to lose to learn (particularly when learning MUs -- I haven't fought many Yosukes), if you're losing at first hit, you may not even understand what's happening or what you did wrong and that doesn't lead to much "learning."

Intermediates are welcome. To be honest, I'm the only true novice (about a month of FG experience), so I feel bad that I can't offer much in the way of competition sometimes. (I mean, it's gotta be pretty dull to fight someone that free.) But watching stronger players is always a treat and I learned so much just observing your matches. (Goddamn, I love Yosuke.)

illness690 is very strong, ccrocker58 is newish to P4A but not FGs, HDT is ridiculous... good players are welcome if they'd like to contribute. The only thing I don't want is for lower tier people to be constantly put in "get hit and die" situations, because while you have to lose to learn (particularly when learning MUs -- I haven't fought many Yosukes), if you're losing at first hit, you may not even understand what's happening or what you did wrong and that doesn't lead to much "learning."

Maybe you already know, but Aigis (IMO) is the hardest character in the game to use. You use her as main, so put as much effort as you can, because she is top tier and has a lot of good things (overall those crazy mixups).

Edit: I just started this week to train how and when to Glide with Yosuke.