Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WakeUpDP

[CPEX] Relius Clover Q&A Thread

BBCP_Header_Q&A_Thread.png

This thread is for Relius gameplay/combo related questions.

May turn this in FAQ as well as time progresses.

Near top tier, if not in the top tier.

Near top tier, if not in the top tier.

Really?  I would have thought he was high tier maybe, but top tier?

Turns out, 3000+ damage anywhere any confirm, near infinite pressure, customizable frame traps, one of the quickest longest and most damaging pokes in the game, unblockables, strong neutral and zoning, godlike oki, and the other plentiful miscelaneous tools Relius has like j.xD and led ley baiting, harmonize very well.

Thanks to the addition of Gad leis he can even do solo combos from quite a few confirms, gauge-less if he's point blank.

I'd put him near Koko post patch, but that's just me.

Turns out, 3000+ damage anywhere any confirm, near infinite pressure, customizable frame traps, one of the quickest longest and most damaging pokes in the game, unblockables, strong neutral and zoning, godlike oki, and the other plentiful miscelaneous tools Relius has like j.xD and led ley baiting, harmonize very well.

Thanks to the addition of Gad leis he can even do solo combos from quite a few confirms, gauge-less if he's point blank.

I'd put him near Koko post patch, but that's just me.

Hm, you have some good points. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the wolf. Or because I haven't played Relius seriously since Extend. Damn you Izayoi for being so much fun. Or I could just be naturally terrible with him.

Hm, you have some good points. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the wolf. Or because I haven't played Relius seriously since Extend. Damn you Izayoi for being so much fun. Or I could just be naturally terrible with him.

Nah it just takes some good quality time to do well with him. Also you have to overcome the limitations of the puppet bar and his sub-par mix-up and defense.

Well bad defense and meter mannagement seems to be my specialty. I mean, I'm pretty comfortable with him, it's just that I'm used to LOL mixup/oki/vortex/good game. But Relius is fun as hell to use.

I believe so. If you can get halfway through them by the time they fling out their second move you can beat it completely.

I remember successfully testing it on a meaty deadspike, I've also beat a Ragna's meaty 2B>5B by pulling it out randomly, but I haven't been able to get it down pat in the lab since...

It should work the same way as Haz's 2362366B, having frame 1 invuln, and I KNOW that one beats meaties.

So I'm messing around with Relius and I got to say I don't really understand his neutral.

It's kinda clunky. I have a hard time anti-airing people and fighting people air to air. What often happens is that I'm fullscreen and i'll do 214C, they'll then jump over and just get in. Ground Zoning/Rushdown makes some sense due to 5B and 214A. but when it comes to aerial play, I feel really lost. My air normals don't feel very suited to hitting horizontally or above me, my anti airs (mainly 2C/6B/4D) don't seem to do well vs anyone with any kind of mobility, as they usually end up getting baited/avoided. I try using standard D drives, but I feel like they always just get mashed out, and I struggle to whiff punish them. Sometimes them hitting me because hitting the doll seems to increase the hitstop and thus the active frames. I have a really hard time getting people to respect me midscreen, only 214A seems to do a standard job at it, and it still gets messed up by some stuff like Wolf Cannon.

Any basic suggestions on how to play the neutral game?

Relius always has bad issues against high mobility characters imo (Tao, Valk, Bang, etc...). Firstly, against Tao and Valk, 214C isn't as useful as you'd like it to be. Also, 214x series aren't our necessarily "best" neutral tools. Honestly, j.xD I'd say is his best tool for screen control. It covers three different angles, can pause your momentum from an airdash to disrupt AAs, its just a really good move. Also, you can catch people wanting to jump over 214C with 22C. If you use 214A to get ignis out and close to them, you could do 22C to possibly catch them in jump startup, or 4D to smack them out of bad air approaches. Its not really clunky at all once you get use to it, just don't think 214x are his only ignis moves.

So I'm messing around with Relius and I got to say I don't really understand his neutral.

It's kinda clunky. I have a hard time anti-airing people and fighting people air to air. What often happens is that I'm fullscreen and i'll do 214C, they'll then jump over and just get in. Ground Zoning/Rushdown makes some sense due to 5B and 214A. but when it comes to aerial play, I feel really lost. My air normals don't feel very suited to hitting horizontally or above me, my anti airs (mainly 2C/6B/4D) don't seem to do well vs anyone with any kind of mobility, as they usually end up getting baited/avoided. I try using standard D drives, but I feel like they always just get mashed out, and I struggle to whiff punish them. Sometimes them hitting me because hitting the doll seems to increase the hitstop and thus the active frames. I have a really hard time getting people to respect me midscreen, only 214A seems to do a standard job at it, and it still gets messed up by some stuff like Wolf Cannon.

Any basic suggestions on how to play the neutral game?

There are various ways around the pitfalls of Relius' neutral. during air to air, you can get a much bigger range on your j.6D by instant backdashing and using j.6D, as the backdash pushes Ignis in front of you. If their move whiffs and j.6D or j.2D connects, or better gets a counter hit you can land and use an instant Tus (as j.XD will have put Ignis right on top of them) and you can get in for free. Other than that, try to be above the enemy using j.A/j.B/j.C or directly below them using j.B.

For anti airs, add j.A, 5A, and j.B+C to your stock to fill the gaps and learn to use 2C to the very best of your abilities. Or just hold out for a CA. Relius is pretty bad on the defensive...

When you have space and want to seal air mobility, do superjump and then land and Tus and Ignis will fly through the air sealing their air options while you rush in on the ground with your god poke 5B.

214B is a fun tool it doesn't get hits very often, but if blocked you get in for free, and if dodged they are between you and Ignis. On her way back to you you can do 214A/214C/236236D while she's right over them to do an instant version of said move or 4D to snipe them out of the air.

To not get hit out of 236A, wait until the actives of their move are over before using 6D or use 2D.

For air to ground approach bait out anti airs using j.D or j.xD.

Umm that's what I got right now, if  you find it insufficient, ask again soon and I'll have more info for ya. =D

Quick questions about Relius. Why do the combo thread sometimes recommend just one j.B when you can get two in for a little bit more damage?  

Ex:  5B > 6B > 5A > 2C > 6C > 41236B > 5B > 5C(2) > sj.B > j.C > j.236C > j.214B   [2850/20/1000] [sW]

Also how do his SW works? I do the combo with sj.B but I stay on the same side as I finish the combo.

Because doing 2 j.B's sacrifices a lot of oki options since you use your second air option. Usually you want to air dash after j.214B to close the distance and punish rolls. You can still do this from no airdash, but it becomes more expensive. It also removes some corner oki since even safejump j.C after j.214B ender requires a double jump. Its just not worth throwin away momentum for that extra like 100 damage.

Necro ninja'd my first answer.

Ex:  5B > 6B > 5A > 2C > 6C > 41236B > 5B > 5C(2) > sj.B > j.C > j.236C > j.214B   [2850/20/1000] [sW]

Also how do his SW works? I do the combo with sj.B but I stay on the same side as I finish the combo.

To expand from the little info in the notation description: "Side switch possible. Generally 6B>j.B>j.C>66 6B>sj.B>j.B>j.C>j.236C>j.214B after 41236B"

If the combo is not that long you can most of the time be able to side switch after 41236B with either 6B>j.B>j.C>66 6B>sj.B>... or  5C(1)>j.B>j.C>66 6B>sj.B>

I'll go ahead and just ask this here since I dunno how often Lich gets on. Is the j.2D crossup oki for catching back rolls midscreen after j.214D tight? I think I've been incorrectly using this on mashy opponents, but Lich says it vrosses up DP inputs.

Depends on what you wanna use it for. It gets good corner carry and prevents ignis from dying most of the time, but it doesn't give him a significant damage boost. The good thing about our OD is that we can use raw OD in our corner combos easily, so evem though it only gives us like an extra 500 damage compared to a normal combo, you wont use up much ignis and its unburstable.

Also gives him a significantly boosted neutral game since a lot of people are afraid to mash on ignis during OD. j.214B now tracks opponents, and with the change to its CH properties can really hurt. 214A becomes a lot faster and can lead to a full combo even on regular hit in OD, so even trades with it aren't a good thing for the opponent.

Generally, how useful is Relius's OD?

I would say it's very useful.

It makes Ignis not die even when running on zero.

It can refill a idle, dead, or put away ignis in a flash.

It makes 214A travel at lightning speed often taking the opponent by surprise.

It gives damage a okay-ish boost, it makes screen carry a breeze.

It freezes the timer.

It can act as a un-bait-able grab invincible led ley.

It can turn any 3C into Damage Ignis or no.

But is it more useful than a burst for a defense impoverished character like Rel? Rarely.

When one scores a hit with j.2D (air to ground), is there a good way to confirm it into a combo? Last time I played another person, I managed to hit quite a bit with that move, but I wasn't able to follow it up.

If there are no combo paths that start with j.2D, will it at least put Ignis in a good position to use safely Tus or perhaps Lyra to start pressure?

In what manner? If you're using it as a crossup, you just hit falling j.B and go into the standars BnB. If its a neutral hit, typically your best bets are to IAD after or land into another ignis normal. Typically they can mash out of tus even if they were hit (not so much the case id it CH's).

My favorite way to use j.2D is to IAD>Immediately j.2D>j.B>665B>stuff

Baits anti-airs, confirms into combos or pressure easily, covers tons of area. If you use j.xD and you're out of range of follow-up 4D will usually peg them once they tech, and from there 214C will hit their guard or get them in a combo (even though it doesn't look like it will.)

Since for most characters airdashing=commitment, they will almost always try to anti-air you.

If Ignis gets hit you can do 5B>6B>j.B>j.C>2C>6C>41236B>5B>5C>sj>j.B>j.C>j.236C~214B for damage and a full Ignis I think

If she does a normal hit you can just do the usual 3C route

If they jump I think you might be able to catch them with j.B>2C>6C

If j.xD counterhits you can land and use Tus and they will tech into pressure or be blue comboed.

Someone should do more reasearch into j.xD to see what situations it can be used in.

I'm really confused on this blockstring, 5B>2B>3C>jump cancel and 6D>AirDashForward>j.B>j.C. Is Relius supposed to dash past them or into them? 

Also is there a visual anywhere for this combo? 2A > 5B > 3C > 236C > 214A > 214B. I can't seem to get the 214B to combo.