Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

King of Fighters (TBA)

If this is what they're making, I hope they bring back the old announcer with his pronunciation of "Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash"

SNK has filled/renewed quite a bit of trademarks lately, I meant they recent did "KOF", "King of Fighters", and now with "Maximum Impact" I think they're covering their bases as the new project is likely in a place where it is easily malleable to their needs at this point. It might also hint at the possibility they are indeed co-developing a spin-off and flagship title. Heck, it might just be for redistribution, but until we get more solid information, enjoy The King of MOBAs '98! Starring Kyo, Iori, and Athena.

a refilling for the "Last Blade" oh god, I'll take a re-release or a brand new game!

I don't wanted to be that guy, but seeing that people are falling for this...

Snk basically is filing trademark registration request for almost everything they own, including old titles like Beat Busters, Gekka no Kenshi (last blade), old pachinkos, name of characters, logos, etc. You will find all of this in the same trademark bot that people are linking (for example, Samurai Spirits/Samurai shodown was just filled yesterday https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/504375238751051776  ).

Someone maciously laser aimed what would be more controverse to create this "news". And other sites (like reddit, neo gaf, shoryuken dot com, etc) started to reproduce this "news", for not verifying it properly or as a clickbait. Unfortunately, it's more probable to be as a clickbait, seeing that they are reproducing every "rumor" as "news".

So SNK probably isn't filling all this because they are going to make new games of them (like a new beat busters). They just want to be sure to mantain their IP. This is in the realm of speculation too, but of all the trademark registration requests, the only ones have a chance to be a new game in development are 3 different logos with the name Asamiya Athena, maybe a reedition of psycho soldiers for cellphone or something.

I don't wanted to be that guy, but seeing that people are falling for this...

Snk basically is filing trademark registration request for almost everything they own, including old titles like Beat Busters, Gekka no Kenshi (last blade), old pachinkos, name of characters, logos, etc. You will find all of this in the same trademark bot that people are linking (for example, Samurai Spirits/Samurai shodown was just filled yesterday https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/504375238751051776  ).

Someone maciously laser aimed what would be more controverse to create this "news". And other sites (like reddit, neo gaf, shoryuken dot com, etc) started to reproduce this "news", for not verifying it properly or as a clickbait. Unfortunately, it's more probable to be as a clickbait, seeing that they are reproducing every "rumor" as "news".

So SNK probably isn't filling all this because they are going to make new games of them (like a new beat busters). They just want to be sure to mantain their IP. This is in the realm of speculation too, but of all the trademark registration requests, the only ones have a chance to be a new game in development are 3 different logos with the name Asamiya Athena, maybe a reedition of psycho soldiers for cellphone or something.

well KOF did say they was making a new game awhile back , it could be the MI series they're bringing back from the dead , thats why they got the trade marks filed for it . we'll know once TGS come around

2? The only canceled Maximum Impact game that is publicly know is MI3, which was speculated to be canceled due to the development of KoF XII. The North American localization of Reg A on PS2 was canceled most likely for similar reasons and less than desirable sales projections. Falcoon even stated that reason that the Ash saga began to bleed into MI was due to the fact at one point MI was going to be converted into the next flagship title.

As I sated before and Caiooa reiterated upon, trademark filings don't mean much on their own as companies fill out dozens, some of which never see the light of day. This are most likely brand renewals but may also lead into renewed interest in projects as well [realistically I'd expect the Last Blade to maybe see a new pachislot game, as those bank in alot of money. Also, interesting tidbit, none of the titles featured in the numerous fillings have been featured in SNK's Rhythm of Fighters title, so they may be re-licensing in order to re-lease soundtracks].

Regulation A2 was a planned update to Reg A that got canceled. It was going to have a standalone PS2 release.

From that preview of the Kyo render it's 99.9% certain that the next KOF is going to have full 3D graphics, but after the wide success of SFIV and Marvel 3, it's also very likely that it's going to be 2.5D and play much more like previous main series KOFs than the Maximum Impact spinoffs.

Watch the new Maximum Impact thing be a pachinko game, while the actual KOF they're working on is a new dream match game.

I want Geese. And Adel. And Oswald.

We really don't need any more dream matches right now (people forget that XII was one), and XIII already brought Mature and Vice back to canon anyway long after they were supposed to have died for good.

Now that Sacred Treasures has ended, KOF needs a new saga, preferably not associated with Orochi or NESTS as these have been thoroughly concluded. Casuals coming from SFIV who finally take interest in KOF XIV because it has 3D graphics are gonna need some semblance of a story to stay interested.

When I first saw that Moba youtube I thought omg the next KoF is a 3D powerstone brawler, then I realized it was just a league of legends clone. Might have to try it though. Does SNK even still have the game design staff it had at its peak?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We really don't need any more dream matches right now (people forget that XII was one), and XIII already brought Mature and Vice back to canon anyway long after they were supposed to have died for good.

While I strongly disagree with XII being a dream match game (non-canon =/= DM), I would like to see them progress the plot.  The problem with this recent trend of fighting game reboots is that the rosters tend to stagnate.  Let's keep things moving forward and introduce some new characters!  Evolve the series!  People are still playing '98 and 2002:UM anyway, so it's not like KOF needs another dream match title right now.

Does SNK even still have the game design staff it had at its peak?

Pretty sure that no. After the asian financial crisis (97-99), every company (not just vg one's) where in a bad situation. Bandai-Namco-Sega maked mass layoffs and merged with each other, Capcom abandoned arcade development, Snk had to declare falence, abandoned the old office at Esaka (Osaka's train station area) and recreate itself as playmore.

At that time, Hiroshi Matsumoto (sf1, aof, last blade) moved out (his last work in snk was last blade 2).

Takashi Nishiyama (sf1, fatal fury, kof) created his own company to make 3rd party jobs for other groups, as the mass layoffs affected their productive capacity. Even today they do it, his group was the responsable for sf4 3d models.

Some other guys from the old snk (like daisuke) moved to ASW, that at the time started to make their own games instead of 3rd party jobs.

edit:but it should be noticed that Hiroshi and Takashi moved from capcom to snk in the first place to have more freedom in development process, and maked sure to give this freedom to the employees of their development groups. This is, they have gone the extra mile to not have a hierarchy and let people working under them to propose things and decide things.

Some other guys from the old snk (like daisuke)

Where does this silly myth come from and why do people keep perpetuating it? Ishiwatari was only 23 when he started work on Guilty Gear, meaning he was a recent graduate at that time. There is no way he could have done any significant work prior to joining ASW.

Daisuke Ishiwatari worked on the original Last Blade, true, he didn't do anything nearly as glamorous as his roles over at ARC (pretty sure he did concept art and worked on backgrounds) but as you said he was still pretty green at the time.

Also, relating to an earlier post, A2 and MI3 were the same project. A2 was originally to be a moderate update but it was withheld in order to helm a full sequel which was halted due to development on XII taking up the entire staff.

I'll never understand the contempt for XII, I mean, outside of being a more basic and simplistic game, there was nothing wrong with it, but people are so hard to please nowadays lol.

And in relation to the next story arc, XIII single handedly screwed up the KoF continuity, and that was BEFORE the ending essentially erased the entire Ash saga. There are still plenty of sub plots to pick up (like the stuff involving the Ron/Lon family) but as far as main story goes, I really do hope they finish out MI's story. But only if Falcoon returns, because MI without him is just . . . odd lol. But assuming they are kept separate, the new flagship arc can literally go anywhere.

XII was a beta test for XIII.

I disagree with this because XII plays very differently from XIII. The bigger sprites, blowback parries, simple DM meter, weightier physics, and Critical Counter make the game quite distinct from its successor. A better way to put it is that XIII is a considerably improved sequel.

And dream match = non-canon. Especially since Mature hadn't returned to KOF's canon at the time. I consider the Tekken Tag games to be dream matches.

I disagree with this because XII plays very differently from XIII. The bigger sprites, blowback parries, simple DM meter, weightier physics, and Critical Counter make the game quite distinct from its successor. A better way to put it is that XIII is a considerably improved sequel.

And dream match = non-canon. Especially since Mature hadn't returned to KOF's canon at the time. I consider the Tekken Tag games to be dream matches.

The purpose of a dream match title is to make a game combining a bunch of different characters that couldn't normally appear together due to their conflicting placement in the games' canon storyline.  Not only does every character in XII reappear in XIII, but XII has one of the smallest rosters of any numbered KOF game, essentially making it the opposite of a dream match.

XIII is what XII was originally intended to be.  SNKP was running desperately low on resources at the time, to the extent that the only way they could continue development was to release their work-in-progress to the public.  The engine was still being designed at the time; all the stuff you mentioned was either the result of a rushed development cycle (Liz and Mature were added because they happened to be finished as the home port was being finalized) or a planned gameplay feature that ended up being removed from XIII because everyone hated it in XII (such as the CC system).

Pretty sure that no. After the asian financial crisis (97-99), every company (not just vg one's) where in a bad situation. Bandai-Namco-Sega maked mass layoffs and merged with each other, Capcom abandoned arcade development, Snk had to declare falence, abandoned the old office at Esaka (Osaka's train station area) and recreate itself as playmore.

At that time, Hiroshi Matsumoto (sf1, aof, last blade) moved out (his last work in snk was last blade 2).

Takashi Nishiyama (sf1, fatal fury, kof) created his own company to make 3rd party jobs for other groups, as the mass layoffs affected their productive capacity. Even today they do it, his group was the responsable for sf4 3d models.

Some other guys from the old snk (like daisuke) moved to ASW, that at the time started to make their own games instead of 3rd party jobs.

edit:but it should be noticed that Hiroshi and Takashi moved from capcom to snk in the first place to have more freedom in development process, and maked sure to give this freedom to the employees of their development groups. This is, they have gone the extra mile to not have a hierarchy and let people working under them to propose things and decide things.

Hiroshi Matsumoto is credited as executive producer on SF IV and Super SF IV so looks like he want back to capcom. DIMPS is also credited on Ultra SF IV too as noted, Hiroshi might be working for DIMPS. Hiroshi is also listed as a producer on dimp's inu-yasha game so it appears he does work for dimps.

If anyone wants to add credits to the last blade 2:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/last-blade-2

Mobygames is in need.

Lol had no idea Swery65 was on the last blade 2 staff can only imagine what the storyline was like.

Had no idea DIMPS did an inu-yasha fighting game:

http://youtu.be/KaIu88t42RA

Amongst other anime licensed fighters.

I thought Ono was the Exec for SF4

According to mobygames (credits for ps3 version)

Executive Producers

Executve Producers Keiji Inafune, Takashi Nishiyama, Hiroshi Matsumoto

Project Manager

Project Manager Masatoshi Washimi

Assistant Producer

Assistant Producer Natsuki Shiozawa

Producer

Producer Yoshinori Ono

Kenji Inafune was an exec. Producer?

Link: http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/super-street-fighter-iv/credits

Credits list Ono as producer for xbox and windows versions too.