Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

Pokken Tournament

http://youtu.be/p7Cs4L1JALY

A Pokemon fighting game developed by the Tekken team over at Bamco? Is this reality lol

Currently only planned for arcades, but given this has an official English trailer and the immense marketability of the franchise, a console release (WiiU most likely) is imminent.

Wish they used Machoke instead kue kue kue ( ' . ' )

Important excerpt from Siliconera:

Harada says he wants Pokkén Tournament to be a game that can be enjoyed by both casual and hardcore fans of Pokémon and fighting games, but most of all, he wants it to be a game that feels great to play.

According to Harada, the game doesn’t use Tekken’s engine, and is something completely new. It won’t focus as much on the fighting game genre’s technical aspects, and will be mainly about the action.

There won’t be any Tekken characters appearing either [...]

So I'm guessing they're going for simple controls and low execution barriers with more flash than substance. Should've just went to CC2 then :v:

I knew from the time of the earlier teaser announcement that this was going to have to be casual as shit if it was getting slapped with the Pokemon branding, since it means they have to sell it to little kids and people with no fighting game experience. Might be a fun diversion to screw around with in between Smash 4 sessions, but I'm not expecting to see it at EVO.

Despite what they said, it really looks like this is running on the Tag 2 engine. That game's already on the Wii U, so it would make for an easy porting job.

I'm actually surprised they're going with an arcade release. What are the chances it ends up in those miniature, kid-sized cabinets used for Data Cardass games and the like?

What I want to know about is the roster. There's over 500 Pokemon, and while a good amount of those are unevolved and thus worthless, there's still a good amount left.

There are actually quite a few Pokemon games already in arcades (spin-offs, like Trozzei and Medal League, of course) and game centers/arcades are still wildly active in Japan, plus fighters are pretty much guaranteed continued revenue by their coin-op nature. So this hitting arcades is pretty much a no brainer.

Also how does not having an evolution make a Pokemon suddenly worthless, Agni?

As far as roster is concerned, I imagine it will be a pretty simple process of elimination. For example, if they were to include a bird Pokemon, we can cut down a large number of creatures and look at say the 3 most publicly liked ones and make a choice from their. Also viability for this type of game will likely be a factor, so something like a Diglett probably isn't high on the list. And of course you have instantly marketable favorites that are pretty much guaranteed in. At the end of the day, I think they'll go for quantity of quality, which plays into wanting to make this less technically focused, and [at least from the vid we have] the models don't seem that high quality. So I think we'll see a good 30~50 characters by the time the console version releases.

There are actually quite a few Pokemon games already in arcades (spin-offs, like Trozzei and Medal League, of course) and game centers/arcades are still wildly active in Japan, plus fighters are pretty much guaranteed continued revenue by their coin-op nature. So this hitting arcades is pretty much a no brainer.

Also how does not having an evolution make a Pokemon suddenly worthless, Agni?

As far as roster is concerned, I imagine it will be a pretty simple process of elimination. For example, if they were to include a bird Pokemon, we can cut down a large number of creatures and look at say the 3 most publicly liked ones and make a choice from their. Also viability for this type of game will likely be a factor, so something like a Diglett probably isn't high on the list. And of course you have instantly marketable favorites that are pretty much guaranteed in. At the end of the day, I think they'll go for quantity of quality, which plays into wanting to make this less technically focused, and [at least from the vid we have] the models don't seem that high quality. So I think we'll see a good 30~50 characters by the time the console version releases.

I didn't say that not having an evolution made a Pokemon worthless, but that no one cares for anything but the final stage of an evolution. We're not going to see Charmander in this game, we're going to see Charizard if they go that route.

Yeah you're right, that's why Raichu, Wigglytuff, Blastoise, and Venesaur were so popular in Smash . . . Oh, wait . . .

I get where you're coming from, but I wouldn't rule out a basic/1st stage Pokemon just because of that.

What if it's only Fighting types? There's plenty of variety between them, from Hawlucha to Gallade to Hitmonlee to Heracross to Breloom and more.

I didn't say that not having an evolution made a Pokemon worthless, but that no one cares for anything but the final stage of an evolution. We're not going to see Charmander in this game, we're going to see Charizard if they go that route.

eviolite made some pre evolved's good for a long time. chansey was better than blissey with this for example. zweilous had the highest attack in the game as a pre evolve a while ago. whether they are still good with the new generation, dunno.

just how beginner friendly are they talking...

I just want a playable Fairy type. I wouldn't mind if the majority of the roster is fighting types though, there's a quite a few I like.

I'm already expecting Blaziken to be a shoo-in.

those stats might be irrelevant because this is a fighting game, and dodging could be a thing, no more 100% hit rate but something that is likely but avoidable. Of course if they go the Naruto route it could be ugly lol

Maining Magicarp on day 1. Wait, I don't even have a WiiU. Maybe if they're going to include more than one pokemon I care about (i.e., someone other than Blaziken).

I dunno, as much sense as a strictly all Fighting type game would make, why limit yourself when dealing with one of the biggest franchises of all time?

There are easily some adequate non-fighting types at fighting. The 2d poke indie-fighter proves this. They better have a Snorlax. 

Gardevoir would be cool. In terms of selfish choices of mine who would never get in the game, Darkrai please. And have him put opponents to sleep and be stupidly broken :v:

The comments on the video alone show the "quality" of potential players that this game will have :v:

I dunno, as much sense as a strictly all Fighting type game would make, why limit yourself when dealing with one of the biggest franchises of all time?

Fighting types alone would allow around 30 separate Pokemon to be included, using only one per evolutionary line other than the Hitmon's. 30 characters in a fighting game would be a lot and I'd imagine most people who like Pokemon have at least one Fighting type they really like. I don't think it'd really be that much of a "limit." You can't exactly just make >500 characters for a game like this.

As usual, my words are being misinterpreted.

By "limit" I mean, if you are given the entire Pokemon license to play with, why would you be so short sighted? This is a game for the fans, so you want to reach as many of them as possible, this includes your selection and how you handle that source material. No doubt a Fighting type only game would be diverse, but there is no reason to needlessly narrow your scope like that.

Heck, just look at the broad spectrum of Pokemon selection in the Smash series.

Seeing all the hype boners over this trailer reminds me why I love Nintendogs so much.

"A whole minute of pre-alpha footage of a dumbed-down Tekken 6 with Pokemon skins?!  BEST GAME EVER WHOOOOOOO!!"

This has the potential to be pretty cool, but I'm keeping my expectations low for the time being.

Even if you strictly use fighting types, you can still have a decently varied roster

-Medicham/Gallade

-Toxicroak

-Scrafty

-Hawlucha

-Chesnaught/Breloom

-Heracross

-Blaziken/Infernape/Emboar

and then pure fighting types with different niches like Hariyama, Conkeldurr, Hitmonchan, etc.

Finally, a Pokemon game that probably won't have a competitive community that bans things that aren't blatantly broken.

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to seeing the interactions between competitive Pokemon players and the FGC.