Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ludwig van

[P4AU] Naoto vs. Mitsuru

D trap is extremely good in this match up. Her 5A AND J.B both do absolutely nothing to it which is a drastic change from Arena when she could just derp J.B in. However when setting jump or super jump traps be wary of J.A cause it's still one of the best air to air jump ins ever. Pressuring her is a bit annoying since her dp is the best in the game but a simple jump back is a perfect bait. On defense is a bit of a problem since if you get hit it's going to hurt ALOT I think instant blocking is important since it makes her stuff punishable. Also don't be afraid to block or be on defense but also don't be afraid to call her out as well. So I personally believe zoning her out is the must effective way of fighting her since she has to actually disarm traps this time. Hope this helps somebody!!! ^_^

I feel that on defense, you're simply going to have to get comfortable with reading what she's going to do next (Sweep, Sweep feint into grab or 2A reset for more pressure, 5B, 5, etc.) and committing to an answer that will either reverse the momentum or at least return it back to neutral because being on defense against this character is no fun at all (then again, being on defense with Naoto is never fun lol).

Also be wary of her new move, Tentarafoo, hits low, pretty quick and it travels quite a distance. A simple downback would be the end of it but if you get too comfortable with setting up a fortress of traps you could get hit with it. If you do read it, I think hitting her out of the startup causes Fatal Counter.

Oh yeah forgot about tentarafoo. SB reaches full screen, D reaches about 90%, C is around 60%. DP+6 will not punish it either. And when I said call her out I meant to guess her next move on defense as well.

Tentarafoo is definitely something to watch out for. I usually just try to look out for it and block, but if you can actually react to it, Awakening super is a funny punish when it's available.

Oh yeah, and the throw/fuzzy jump OS is really great to know when you're on defense against Mitsuru. It's good to know in general, but especially so against Mitsuru, who relies so much on throw/throw bait mixup. If the Mitsuru player is aware you're using it, they can punish it hard with a 2B, but you'll probably get free wins with it against the average netplay Mitsuru.

Does fuzzy grab her out of 5B?

After playing shtkn's Mitsuru at casuals last night, yes it does I think? But more often than not I upback air grabbed. Also this is pretty obvious but fuzzy jumping gets blown up by well spaced 5A staggers as well as 5C since the hitbox on Artemesia's whip is huge.

Naoto vs Mitsuru

Neutral Strats

General things to do as Naoto: Set up C traps to create space initially, look for bigger openings to set up D traps and camp behind your traps. Shoot her to punish the persona or Mitsuru herself when possible if she does 5D/2D. j.C and j.D are hard for Mitsuru to deal with as Naoto seeing as she has a slower 5A and a worse 2B to stop these attacks. Stay moving but don't take risks in neutral and force her to get impatient on her approaches and be ready to whiff punish where possible and go on the offensive if you force her to block a trap or something. Use sweep as your main ground poke. 

Vs Mitsuru's attacks

vs 5A: Easiest way to deal with Mitsuru's 5A is to Sweep under it. 4-11f are Chest invul on Naoto's sweep so from most spacings except max range, Naoto's sweep should be able to beat Mitsuru 5A. Mitsuru's 5A does not have many active frames either, so backdashing through it is a viable tactic in many situations to avoid it when you are in range expecting them to hit the button and then whiff punish her for it. Outside of these two things, staying out of 5A range and playing from fullscreen and forcing mitsuru to approach is the ideal way to avoid dealing with this move.

vs 5D(D): If you read that this attack is coming or you react very quickly, Naoto can dash right through 5D and just hit Mitsuru from most ranges. Naoto can also crouch under this attack and then run at Mitsuru, but you probably won't be able to punish if you do this. If you wind up blocking this attack, IB the 5DD hit to reduce the pull in effect to prevent yourself from being forced closer to Mitsuru. It is also possible to just DP and use the projectile follow up to hit mitsuru for using this attack.

vs 2D(D): Assuming that this is being done to stop you from moving around in the air or setting traps, just air block or space yourself outside its angle and range. Remember that if you used up your air options and you block 2D(D), you get back your air options. Just like 5DD, if you IB the whip follow up, you reduce the pull in effect which is important to avoid getting sucked into her range. 

vs Droit: Have traps out, she cannot Droit in safely if any of them are out on the ground. 

vs j.A: Zapper, AA Sweep and 2B both beat this attack, just have to recognize the ranges to use the appropriate move. 

vs j.B: Zapper or hope she flies into a trap or lands on a D trap. Still can't really AA this with 2B reliably without being super ready to 2B her on time.

General Pressure Notes 

-IBing mitsuru is super important in this version because of her new auto combo. Mitsuru heavily relies on using her auto combo to set herself up spacing wise to pressure you safely and from ranges where most characters can't disrespect easily. Messing up her spacing i.e keeping her super close by IBing all of 5AAA is a great tactic.

-Fuzzy jumping her pressure: Most Mitsuru STILL run the week one mix up of 4B/Throw. To avoid this kinda crap and most of her throw set ups, fuzzy jump (17C+D1) works wonders in avoiding the 4B and jumping/teching throws. Mitsuru players generally have to go out of their way and make a read on this with 2B or pressure in such a way to catch jump start up like 5AA 5C or something. 

- If you can react in time to sweep feints, you can mash Mitsuru out of pretty much anything she does after this. Likewise, if you react to Marin Karin resets, you can mash her out of most things she is gonna do afterwards. Like everything Mitsuru does, its her spacing that matters so IBing helps to throw it off and open herself up to easier punishes for trying to reset her pressure. 

-If you must DP Mitsuru out of her pressure, use DP+Throw OS aka B+D~C to do it just to be safe. Generally avoid DPing her because you really don't want to get fatal'd for no good reason.

-Guard cancel attack is pretty good vs Mitsuru since she doesn't have pressure starters that inflict a lot of hitstop. Just gotta watch out if she decides to sweep/sweep feint and block as I think those go under Naoto's guard cancel iirc. 

-Roll can work vs Mitsuru but it has to be done in anticipation of like 5C or 5 otherwise Mitsuru can easily 5A punish most roll attempts so be careful with that. 

tl;dr be really annoying in neutral, be patient vs Mitsuru when she's on the offense. She doesn't convert into significant damage until she has meter so don't sweat getting hit for making educated guesses on defense from time to time. She also doesn't have any real mix up until she gets 50% meter too so don't be too concerned with getting blown up for blocking until then.