Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan422

King of Fighters 98 UM & 2002 UM: Steam Edition

Well, I'm hoping [and that's a BIG hoping] that maybe, just maybe they can be unique ports like the planned version for Metal Slug 3 on PS3/4/Vita

Yeah, but the only problem I'm seeing as SS6 wasn't released stand alone in the US, only as part of the SS Anthology, so yeah, we'll see how this will work out either as PS2 classics or unique ports, or instead...X3

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/18/snks-king-fighters-games-samurai-shodown-vi-coming-playstation-platforms/

I wish SNKP hadn't abandoned Neo-Geo Station right when they were finally getting into the less outdated parts of the Neo library (Slug 2 and KOF 96 were the last releases). They're some of the most professionally handled porting jobs ever, with stellar netcode that almost no one took advantage of. Every minor option setting is accounted for, and they even finally fixed the crippling slowdown in Slug 2.

Um, well guys, either be happy, or be worried, cause after that short announcement, 98UM, SS6, and even MS3 (yeah, I know its not a fighter, an example however), (KOF XI isn't on there, yet.) are out on the JP PS Store as PS2 Classics, and are not unique ports, and they cost 1000Y each (close to about US$10).

MS3 is definitely confirmed to be getting proper ports with online features on PS3/4/Vita, though. Odd that they'd also roll out the PS2 version, but I guess they might not be planning on carrying over its extra modes.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-17/charges-filed-against-16-in-square-enix-hi-score-girl-manga-case/.81120

In regards to the Squeenix case.

"Square Enix needed rights from 20 companies; only obtained 3"

They have powerful lawyears, but I don't know how it would be possible to get out of this court case. Their defense is basically "Yes, we used character likenesses, names, and IP's without permission, but we didn't actually violate anyone's copyright." Fuck money, fuck attorneys, SE isn't walking away from this one unscathed.

No way in hell that a Japanese jury won't be biased towards the company that brings their kids Dragon Quest. It's like when Apple went to court against Samsung and won, despite the latter clearly having the stronger case.

In the US they could easily argue for fair use/parody. I think the laws are more strictly defined about this in Japan, though, and if any company wanted to they could come down on the doujinshi scene real hard. Thankfully, there seems to be an industry-wide unwritten hands-off policy when dealing with such fan works, but that doesn't apply when one commercial enterprise uses another company's characters without permission.

We'll really just have to wait and see.

The Steam version of '98:UMFE is now set to be released on December 12th.  There's currently no concrete release date for 2002:UM based on what I can see.

You forgot the most important bit. It's being ported by Code Mystics, who are known for royally screwing up the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection (it has severe input lag even played locally, and terrible netcode on top of that). They also did the Xbox One ports of Killer Instinct 1 and 2, which I haven't heard much about but I would imagine ended up similarly.

Why SNKP didn't just do it themselves when the NESiCA version already has a natively PC-compatible codebase is beyond me. Maybe hiring these guys was a last resort measure to get it out before the end of the year, because they're preoccupied with their legal standoff. I would have been happy with Iron Galaxy, who I used to have a low opinion of at the time of 3S Online's release, but have done some really solid fighting game porting jobs since. At any rate, it's a shame that a formerly arcade-only revision of the game isn't getting the perfect treatment it deserves.

You forgot the most important bit. It's being ported by Code Mystics, who are known for royally screwing up the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection (it has severe input lag even played locally, and terrible netcode on top of that). They also did the Xbox One ports of Killer Instinct 1 and 2, which I haven't heard much about but I would imagine ended up similarly.

Why SNKP didn't just do it themselves when the NESiCA version already has a natively PC-compatible codebase is beyond me. Maybe hiring these guys was a last resort measure to get it out before the end of the year, because they're preoccupied with their legal standoff. I would have been happy with Iron Galaxy, who I used to have a low opinion of at the time of 3S Online's release, but have done some really solid fighting game porting jobs since. At any rate, it's a shame that a formerly arcade-only revision of the game isn't getting the perfect treatment it deserves.

I can't say i've tried the netcode for the KI ports, but the actual gameplay works just fine.

Did Code Mystics really work on the vanilla version of MKAK? One of the devs at Steam forums claims they worked on the netcode after the 1.2 (IIRC) patch.

Really hoping this game has the Arrange Soundtrack that was missing from the 360 version.

At the very least, this version has the Ultimate-style selection menu translated in English.

The netcode for UM:FE will be based on input delay, equal to 1/2 of ping.

We just got some more information in regards to the netcode of the upcoming Steam release of KOF 98 UM Final Edition.  According to the Code Mystic, the netcode will not be a rollback style netcode, but rather an input-delay type, with delays equal to 1/2 of ping.  Ping numbers will be displayed before matches.  The reasons for this decision was due to the fact that the XBLA/NESICA source code was not built for rollback.

Hm.

Must have been delayed at the final hour. Better that their customers complain about a four-day delay than about whatever bugs or netcode problems they're removing, though.

Ah, good old SNK Delaymore.

As usual, lol, kinda sour on the same day as Xrd overseas as I mentioned before, oh well, at least enough time for that, and the sale its going for, would have been nice to know today if this was gonna be a port with the included PS2 content (Color Edit/Gallery/Etc). But oh well...

Screenshots have already shown that the 3D backgrounds from the PS2 version are in, as is the Neo-Geo version of KOF 98 (which will not have online play).

Looks like we probably won't be seeing this before 2015. They must not have been able to iron out the bugs in time.

I kinda feel bad for Code Mystics likely being underfunded and not being given the original source code to work with, though.

probably the problem was with steam this time. And nobody in japan was there to contact them (it was 4am there). Same thing happened with yatagarasu beta last week. But now it's avaliable