Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan422

King of Fighters 98 UM & 2002 UM: Steam Edition

So played a few matches online. Went well for the most part with 100ms.

But at times, I'd be getting half a second input delay while it seemed like my opponent wasn't getting any. Did this happen to anyone else?

I wish it had been delayed again, because this port has some SERIOUS issues. Half-circle motions never coming out (they're fine in Neo-Geo mode, oddly enough), random crashes, online ping ratings unnaturally spiking, no option to unmap or override keys on the control menu. At least there's no local input lag that I can notice, which was a problem with the MK Kollection. Also, the 3D backgrounds shown in some screenshots on Steam are nowhere to be found.

Here's Code Mystics' forums if you want to voice your complaints. They've already addressed some of them and have said there will be a patch.

Funnily enough, I got to play their port of KI1 on Xbone recently, and it turned out to be an excellent piece of work. I guess that's what funding and dev support from Microsoft will get you.

I just checked out some footage on nycfurby's stream and...it's based on the 360 version, which explains the netcode issues.

And there's no arranged soundtrack.

And there's still only 1v1 lobbies.

Faith officially lost.

They should have recruited M2 again. On a technical level, their Neo-Geo Station and Capcom Arcade Cabinet ports rank among the all-time greatest home ports of arcade games. They might not have enough experience with PC though.

Ugh, just based on the 360 port...No 3D BG's (unless otherwise noted), or even Arrange BGM/Gallery/Color Edit that the PS2 version had. Oh well. <_<

Oh HELL no, the 360 port of '98:UM was garbage!  I can't believe they used that as the basis for this version...  Did they at least translate the win quotes?

Oh HELL no, the 360 port of '98:UM was garbage!  I can't believe they used that as the basis for this version...Did they at least translate the win quotes?

After looking quite a while for some sources, I'm happy to say, yes, the win quotes are in English, lol. X3

it's based in nesica umfe....there's no umfe in xbox....

Code Mystics themselves said it's based on the 360 source. The NESiCA source is being used for Tencent's Chinese PC version, because they paid for exclusive rights to use it.

There goes another port ruined by SNKP itself :v:

You could have said that about the XBLA version of 98 UM, since that was internally developed, but this port was farmed out.

You could have said that about the XBLA version of 98 UM, since that was internally developed, but this port was farmed out.

But you just said Code Mystics was given the XBLA version as a base for the port.  They can't work miracles, man.  I don't know if you played the XBLA port, but it was seriously shit.  I downloaded the demo day one with the mindset of being 80% sure I was going to buy it.  Without even experiencing the online component or being aware of how many features and modes they axed, two matches against the AI was all it took for me to nope my way out of that mess.  The controls are almost unplayably bad.

Thankfully, 2002:UM was a much better port, at least as far as the single player experience goes.  If they can work out some of the kinks in the netcode, then we still have a chance for a decent KOF title on Steam.

Wow, they're actually patching the game based on community feedback.  Good for those guys!  Hope they're able to successfully fix some of the issues plaguing the game.  It would be awesome if we finally had a BS-free definitive version of KOF '98 available outside of arcades.

Well, if anything, this is something, that, and hopefully to wait on 02-UM coming soon. (Though kinda silly 98UM-FE isn't part of the Steam Winter Sale, since yeah, we know, it just came out, but come on...>_>)

The finished 1.01 patch is now released. Huge improvement, pretty much everything is fixed, including the netcode (which no longer has the ridiculous ping spikes).

If they can release 2002 UM in this state from day one, I'll consider Code Mystics redeemed.

EDIT: It still sometimes crashes upon getting a game over in arcade mode, but this only happened to me once.

I dunno if that's his model for KOF XIV or just a promotional material. Needs some work if it's his model for the game.

Beyond that though, i'm waiting on 2002UM still, though I am having a better time with 98UM on Steam than I did on 360.

It's not promotional, it's a call for new employees to work on KOF XIV (and presumably the new Samurai Shodown that has also been mentioned). The model could be scrapped before release, but right now it's very likely planned for in-game asset use.

I agree that Iori's model and the Kyo one they showed earlier seem a bit rough if this is gonna be on PS4/One, but I'm betting they'll look better after being run through whatever filters and shaders the game will use.

Yeah, and inb4 anyone asks, yes, its samely coded from the 360 port, so no extras from the PS2 version into this, though I guess this might be the latest version of 02UM (Tougeki ver.), but who knows. And hopefully everything works day 1 and hope that Code Mystics don't screw this port up at the start.

Tougeki version . . .?

Are you talking about that highlights/combo video compilation? Because there has yet to be a different version of '02:UM [differences in PS2 and XBL versions aside] like there was with '98:UM

Tougeki version . . .?

Are you talking about that highlights/combo video compilation? Because there has yet to be a different version of '02:UM [differences in PS2 and XBL versions aside] like there was with '98:UM

No, there is a revision of 2002UM, which is Tougeki Version. It contains some balance changes and bug fixes, nothing substantially different though.

lol, I've only seen the SBO DVDs that apparently share the same cover as the update, hmmm now I feel out of date lol

Well, since '98:UM was based on the Final version, I think that's a good sign to expect the final version for '02:UM

02UM on XBLA is indeed based on the Tougeki edition, which was an unsubstantial update primarily made for bugfixing purposes, much like Accent Core Plus Append. It's not like 98UM Final Edition, which exists to rebalance mechanics that were considered cheap but not buggy.

Since it hasn't been specifically mentioned yet, it's up for pre-purchase on Steam now.