Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pichy

I'm Writing Words About Learning Guilty Gear. Feedback Appreciated.

Whenever I've played with people new to Guilty Gear or talked to someone who's watched some matches and has no clue what's going on, there's certain subjects that have cropped up time and again. We've already got videos explaining the base mechanics and terminology of the game, but I still don't feel they quite answered the questions I've been asked over the years. As a result, I'm writing some blog posts about them, aiming to provide information that is relevant to both XX and Xrd (so nothing about, say, FRCs at this point). I've written two posts so far. Feedback is always appreciated.

http://pichyandpals.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/lets-learn-guilty-gear-part-1-combos.html

http://pichyandpals.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/lets-learn-guilty-gear-part-2-not.html

I found both post easy to read and simple to understand. Guessing those new to fighters would feel the same way. For players (like me) who come form a Capcom background they help immensely. Look forward to reading more.

And here's an essay about throws. http://pichyandpals.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/lets-learn-guilty-gear-part-3.html

I've always been shaky about things like using button priority to win same frame throw situations by pressing 4K+H and so on, so I left it out. Further clarification is always appreciated on such matters. I wanted to hammer home a mentality of "I should be away from bad situations instead of looking for direct counters to everything all the time", so I mostly advised to jump away from throws. Good habit to have against command grab characters anyhow.

Good stuff, I really liked the throw article.

However, as somebody who was unfamiliar with GG's throw mechanics (my mentality used to be throws are things you do by pressing two buttons and all throws have animations), I found the 6/4K+H thing suuuuuuuuuper helpful to make my throw game not utter crap.

I used to be really horrible at landing throws, so I really wanted to practice it. However, when you go out of your way to throw more than you should intentionally, you end up throwing out a ton of 6/4H and being punished, as you've said. Having a K come out instead of the H often saved my ass during this period when I was trying to squeeze throws into any situation I thought it was possible, because it does get annoying when you continuously get punished while trying to learn something new. The K+H trick allowed me to keep annoyance at my failures managable for the most part.

And here's an essay about throws. http://pichyandpals.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/lets-learn-guilty-gear-part-3.html

I've always been shaky about things like using button priority to win same frame throw situations by pressing 4K+H and so on, so I left it out. Further clarification is always appreciated on such matters. I wanted to hammer home a mentality of "I should be away from bad situations instead of looking for direct counters to everything all the time", so I mostly advised to jump away from throws. Good habit to have against command grab characters anyhow.

Doesn't 4K+H give you FD instead of a kick/grab OS? Like, shouldn't it be 4K~H or something or just 6K+H? Away from game so can't test.

Notice he said, "...to win same frame throw situation...", meaning inputting 4K+H on the same frame as the opponents throw. In #R, it would read the 4H as a throw input, so neither throws would happen (resorting back to using the 4/6H that was used to input the throw) and because you were already holding buttons for a FD, you'll just FD.

Not to steal Pichy's thunder, but here is a short video I did because it's 5 a.m. and wanted to demonstrate. Ky jumps in and does 4H~K, so he'd kara the 5H into FD if he didn't get throw. Sol gets thrown, to show it throws, inputs the 4K+H like Pichy said, and then does BR to show the OS against a normal unthrowable attack instance I suppose. Expecting to get a 1F counter against something the opponent may not even do isn't the most practical of things.

As my last post no doubt indicated, my memory was way shakier than I thought. The input was 6K+H, not 4. Since the Xrd Tutorial confirmed once and for all that the thing is back, I wrote about it.

I just want to pop in and say I appreciate what you are doing Pichy. Hopefully this gets a lot of exposure out there(specially the new generation). 

You can try piano-ing the inputs after you do the motion. More importantly is to watch for when your character actually gets up, though. Record the dummy sweeping and then doing a meaty and look at what your character looks like just before you get hit, and then dp just before that.

Thank you Pichy for taking the time to explain the basic mechanics of this game.  I come from SF and wanted to know, does plinking work in this game?  This is the first GG game i've ever put my hands on, or anime FG i've ever put my hands on.  So the whole burst concept is pretty new to me too.

Nope! Plinking to get out links won't help you. If you're playing Slayer, just learn the timing for f.S into cl.S and f.S into 2K through practice. Do keep in mind that there is more hitstun on crouching opponents, so those links are much easier when you land such a hit!

EDIT: Oh, you're playing Bedman. Even easier then - he's pretty much just chain to 3H then do Sumo Splash!

Nope! Plinking to get out links won't help you. If you're playing Slayer, just learn the timing for f.S into cl.S and f.S into 2K through practice. Do keep in mind that there is more hitstun on crouching opponents, so those links are much easier when you land such a hit!

EDIT: Oh, you're playing Bedman. Even easier then - he's pretty much just chain to 3H then do Sumo Splash!

Actually that isn't really true, his corner D combo is a reasonably tight link into 6HS.

Also combo into 1HS xx 235HS only works from absolutely point blanc.

More often confirm into 236S or just sweep.

Still running into people having trouble getting their head around GG's button layout, so I wrote about what each button actually does so people can work out where they're comfortable putting the things.

http://pichyandpals.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/guilty-gears-buttons-heres-rundown.html

Thanks!
I know some (mainly SF4-playing) guys who think BB/GG is ultra-complex to learn because of all the different buttons you have to remember.

Ironically for me it feels the other way round with 6button-fighters...

Will show them this, maybe it'll help! :)

It also gave me some new ideas (2S after 5S for example..)

Great blog as always!

4h ~ attack button USED to be an option select in #R, and was removed in slash.  It was a horrible stupid option select, thank god it's gone.

How I learned Guilty Gear:

*mashes buttons till the other guy stops moving*

...But seriously, playing SNK games like KOF and Samurai Showdown helped.

I've really enjoyed reading the posts so far. Hope that more is coming! It's been really helpful to me (as somebody who started with Xrd).