Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HGhaleon

PS3 vs PS4 GGXrd Graphics/Sound Quality Comparison?

Man, I feel sort of cheated. I've been rabidly anticipating this game for like a year and a half based on the arcade footage, and I was expecting a decent port on PS3, at least something close to the arcade experience. I figured it was going to have the same clean look the original game has, which is essential to pulling off its amazing illusion of appearing to be 2D.

Instead we got this blurry, sludgy mess with no anti-aliasing and all kinds of subtle graphics issues. And yeah, I can tell the music sounds awful too. It's hard to consider the PS3 version of the game a proper port, honestly. It barely runs. I am considering buying a PS4 now just to play Xrd in its real glory, but the fact that they aren't using Lab Zero's driver to make it compatible with PS3 sticks annoys me a lot. Arcsys should not be partnering with stick manufacturers to screw players out of another $200. It's too greedy.

Man, I feel sort of cheated. I've been rabidly anticipating this game for like a year and a half based on the arcade footage, and I was expecting a decent port on PS3, at least something close to the arcade experience. I figured it was going to have the same clean look the original game has, which is essential to pulling off its amazing illusion of appearing to be 2D.

Instead we got this blurry, sludgy mess with no anti-aliasing and all kinds of subtle graphics issues. And yeah, I can tell the music sounds awful too. It's hard to consider the PS3 version of the game a proper port, honestly. It barely runs. I am considering buying a PS4 now just to play Xrd in its real glory, but the fact that they aren't using Lab Zero's driver to make it compatible with PS3 sticks annoys me a lot. Arcsys should not be partnering with stick manufacturers to screw players out of another $200. It's too greedy.

Well, the arcade hardware is significantly more powerful than a PS3, it is a proper port but you can only do so much on weaker hardware. they even said in an interview that it was a hard port to make. honestly it looks much better than I was expecting. BTW the madcatz the "stick manufacturer screwing people out of another 200 dollars" fully supports the driver. Markman has talked about it several times.

BTW the madcatz the "stick manufacturer screwing people out of another 200 dollars" fully supports the driver. Markman has talked about it several times.

Not only that but Xrd was probably finished long before Mike Z even announced the driver.

Also the PS3 version captures the feel of 2D just fine. Hell if anything worse resolution makes the characters look more like sprites than less. 

Music thing sucks; though for me personally (being a person who lacks a speakers system), it doesn't matter.

I'm saying this because I'm reading from several people saying that their connection when they are playing against PS3 people is really bad, even like "thank goodness that there's actually an option to forbid matches against PS3". It would be good if someone can compare between matches of PS4 vs PS4 and PS3 vs PS3 so that maybe this only happens when people with different consoles are playing against each other.

Considering how inconsistent the netcode is testing it would be hard.

I'll just say I'm in HI and I've found a few PS4 people in ranked with whom I've had 2F super smooth connections, which is incredibly rare for me.

I know this is not the correct discussion thread but I had some pretty good 2-4 frame matches last night vs. a ps4 user. 

I wouldnt want to see the online playerbase splinter unnecessarily when the crossplay is not the issue.

I can confirm playing vs PS3 players is UGH. At least that was the case 2 days ago, when PS4 version was patched. For some reasons I get a lot of hiccups vs them.

Not only that but Xrd was probably finished long before Mike Z even announced the driver.

Also the PS3 version captures the feel of 2D just fine. Hell if anything worse resolution makes the characters look more like sprites than less. 

Big deal. They could easily patch the game to include the driver, and they're aware that it exists.

And no, horrible jaggy 3D with blurriness and tearing does not look like pixelated sprites.

Sorry if I sound overly negative or mad but I've anticipated this game more than any other in the past five years, and now apparently I have to spend $700 to play it right.

I don't understand how anyone expected the PS3 version to be "definitive" or "arcade perfect". I had a strong feeling it was going to have issues considering the massive difference in hardware. (and considering the developers already said they had trouble with the port)

Of course the PS4 version would be much better, its not only similar to the arcade hardware, but substantially more powerful as well.

The PS3 is not only significantly weaker, but has hardware completely different and alien in comparison. There haven't really been any fighters built from scratch on hardware substantially more powerful than PS3, and the few that have had been less hardware intensive games.

And no, horrible jaggy 3D with blurriness and tearing does not look like pixelated sprites.

It does though.

Also, your anger should be on Sony primarily for not having PS4 auto-compatible with PS3 stuff.

People should seriously stop with all this false flagging, claiming that the PS3 version doesnt run perfectly fine. 

I am not surprised that console players werent able to anticipate the blurry look though. Shows how little most of them understand when it comes to computers (which consoles basically are, they just use a shittier structure). Spoiler Alert: consoles use hardware that usually is 1-2 years old by the time they are released. Doesnt take a genius to understand what that means for a game that is released almost a decade after the console came out. It runs at a permant 60fps, thats all people should be wondering about.

Yes, it looks worse than the PS4. Get over it and maybe ask yourself why you were expecting it to look differently in the first place.

Get over yourself, lol. Everyone expected a drop in quality, but even I was caught off guard by just how much of a hit the game took.

There's plenty of games on the PS3 that look better than PS3 Xrd and run at 60FPS. I think that one dude hit the nail on the head when he said they didn't optimize the implementation of UE3, because other UE3 games (including UT3) run better than this. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect the game to look better than it does.

That being said, it was developed on a pretty tight schedule, I'd imagine. The game went from arcades to two very different consoles in under ten months. They probably focused more on the PS4 version, and rightfully so.

I've consistently had high ping (7f-14f) with locals, but the really weird thing is that all my opponenets will have 2f when we're fighting.  The difference is not just in the numbers, too.  I get unplayable lag and whomever my opponent is will report a near-offline experience

Yeah heard exactly the same claims from my opponents. I had 12f, they had 2... Something is screwed up right now and you get desynchronised from the match, but your opponent doesn't. They can move freely and for me the game is unplayable.

Well let's hope the new patch fixes something this time. 

One of my friends came over and we played for a while, and I realized that the real problem with the PS3 version is the netplay. As some other people mentioned, the UI elements like character portraits and health/tension bars get blurred out as if they were being swapped for lower-res textures, and the same thing seems to happen to the character models during heavy action. It's most noticible when it doesn't happen, because things will be really smooth and crisp for a few seconds and then go back to the blur. While I was playing 2-player offline this stuff barely happened, and I didn't see the UI elements blur at all. I guess running the netcode and whatever else is going on in network mode is just a bit too much for the PS3 to handle. This also might explain the cross-platform issues people said they were having.

Guess ill chime in since i have the game for both systems:

The ps3 version (the version which i play the most since its the only version i have a stick for) is balls out ass. Yeah, flatly saying it. I noticed the difference the instant i played the ps3 version because i DL'd the ps4 version first.

I dont know what the "frame rate" problem might be but the instant i started playing the ps3 version i was struck by a small sense of lag (i might be hallucinating though) when compared to the ps4 version... My method of testing? Completely unscientific. I generally test for lag by making my character crouch a lot and see the difference in timing, if there is any. Idk if there is lag on the ps3 version or not (besides the inherent lag that the system comes with) my eyes may be deceiving me because of other factors that go into it (I'm not talking about netplay, obviously) but besides glaringly obvious things like the character sprites being smooth as silk on the ps4 and grainy as heck on the ps3, I'm having timing certain things consistently on the ps3 like simple venom ball summons into 5p. And about venoms ball summons... On the ps3 they are terrible looking. When i summon a ball on ps3 the ball kind of jaggers its way across the screen... Its very jittery and gives at least the "illusion" of a dropping or bad framerate. Compared to on the ps4 the ball moves as smoothly as water running down a glass hill... The ps3 version is like water running down a rocky hill for shitty comparison.

Anywho yeah. Thats just my opinion on how the games feel, owning both of them. I literally hate the ps3 version after having played the ps4 version.

Imho the definitive version is by far the ps4. Which makes evo complicated because it is on ps3... So who knows whats going on with that. But all i know is that if i were to ever get close to high level at the game, i couldnt take the ps3 version very seriously, at least for myself.

I do know however that there will be people out there not in the least affected by the differences in the 2 consoles... All i can say is they are some lucky people.

-edit

Upon reading that over i went a bit to in on ps3 versions crappiness. Instead of saying the the ps3 version is ACTUALLY terrible... I should have said that in my opinion it isnt that great but is still a very good game and more than likely just as "arcade perfect" as the ps4 version, with of course some performance issues that the ps4 doesnt have.

I still hate the ps3 version though, its just that its only an opinion. More power to you if you love the ps3 version or it is the only version you have access to.

PS3 ain't so bad. it works better with widescreen HDTV's than the ps2 version.

The netplay is better too, even with the ongoing issues people are having.

Finally got PS4 version. Jesus the difference between the 2 is night and day. The graphics are insanely better than PS3. PS3 version is so blurry. PS4 version is crisp with tons of details and backgrounds are hella active. It's definitely worth the purchase.

I suspect the ps4 handles input lag better.  The ps4 version of xrd at least definitely has at least 1 less if not a few less frames of input lag.

Didn't Teyah already test and confirm otherwise? :v:

Edit: nevermind, only confirmed that PS4 (demo version) is 4f delay. Nothing about PS3 or double-check on retail versions.

on the same display I practice combos with my ps3 on, I was consistently early on my links/jump cancel combos when switching to ps4. This has happened on 3 different days.

Fwiw, i felt inherent lag immediately on the ps3 version. I was one of the people that campaigned high and low about the ps3 version being slower than the xbox version of sf4 ( it was immediately noticeable to me and some others) but for a couple of years people said we were crazy and they had all kinds of tests to prove it (which all got subsequently debunked) until finally a definitive test did actually find that the ps3 was a frame slower than the xbox version.

I wont be saying that the ps3 version of ggxrd definitely lags behind the ps4 version, ive been known to interpret framerate drops as lag, nor will i be arguing the point because at the end of the day i dont care quite as much as i did when i was younger, but i will just say that "something" about the ps3 version feels quite off when compared to the ps4 version, for me.

Fwiw, i felt inherent lag immediately on the ps3 version. I was one of the people that campaigned high and low about the ps3 version being slower than the xbox version of sf4 ( it was immediately noticeable to me and some others) but for a couple of years people said we were crazy and they had all kinds of tests to prove it (which all got subsequently debunked) until finally a definitive test did actually find that the ps3 was a frame slower than the xbox version.

I wont be saying that the ps3 version of ggxrd definitely lags behind the ps4 version, ive been known to interpret framerate drops as lag, nor will i be arguing the point because at the end of the day i dont care quite as much as i did when i was younger, but i will just say that "something" about the ps3 version feels quite off when compared to the ps4 version, for me.

I never played the ps4 version, but I believe you for the simple fact that I've experienced this exact same thing myself. But yeah, I basically came to the same conclusion as you about not even arguing about it anymore. lol.

Until someone actually tests it, I don't really care. PS3 doesn't feel noticeably slow compared to AC+R, which is also 4 frames.