Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HGhaleon

PS3 vs PS4 GGXrd Graphics/Sound Quality Comparison?

Circ - I'm waiting for my PS4 LE to arrive so I can run some PS3/PS4 game and arcade stick lag tests. You can blame Canada customs and/or the California shipping strike for the delay. :(

FWIW, for now I'm practicing on the PS3 version on my HDCRT with input delay set to 1, and it feels roughly the same as playing +R on an LCD.

only stage that ive noticed seems to lag or at least is visually disturbing is potemkins stage. But ive never played the ps4. But that stage on ps3 ive deff noticed some hiccups, that are at least graphically disturbing while playing that throw me off.

I have both PS4 and PS3 versions. Obvious differences for PS4 over PS3 is higher base resolution @ 1080p, no render size reduction during high-sfx situations. There appears to be more bloom in PS4, not much as far as antialiasing goes, probably just FXAA which I would rather just not be used at all. The hard edge/black outline shaders have the same aliasing as in the PS3 version.

It is not really a big IQ bump over the PS3 version unless you are terribly offput by the render target upscaling during high sfx parts of the game. My Sharp Aquos has a gentle resize filter even in game mode that makes the PS3 version look fine even when it is running in the reduced size render target mode. In the unreal engine, the input thread operates separately from the game update thread. Depending on how they coded input interpretations, there should be no reason for dropped inputs in UE3 or 4. If there is, they can fix it. If they can't then they need to hire a dev that has their head on their shoulders.

IMO the game looks great in both versions.

I think probably the main reason the PS3 version visuals look so jarringly bad is because of Xrd's graphical style.  The drop in quality from the PS4 to the PS3 wouldn't be nearly as noticeable if it weren't for the fact that the models were designed to look like 2D spites.  The graphics were made so precisely to achieve a certain look that downgrading their quality even slightly completely obliterates the appearance the artists were going for.  On the PS4, the pseudo-2D effect on the characters is convincing enough that you can easily mistake them for super high-res sprites; on the PS3, you can simply glance at the screen and it's very obvious you're looking at 3D models made of polygons.

If you've followed this game's development since it was announced, you've spent months and months looking at the game as it appears on the PS4.  Seeing the PS3 version for the first time is pretty damn jarring.  While it's an exaggeration to say the game looks hideous on the PS3, it doesn't really look good either.

Whether or not it's worth buying a PS4 solely for Xrd will depend on how important graphics are to you and how much disposable income you have sitting around.  If you already own both consoles, however, then definitely get the PS4 version.  The difference in the quality of the visuals is more than enough to justify the price difference.

What I wanna know is what's with there being no scaling type options for the PS4. My TV is set to full resolution and the edges are clearly being cut off and the PS4's internal "application display safe area" thing does nothing. The PS3 version has the option. What gives?

What I wanna know is what's with there being no scaling type options for the PS4. My TV is set to full resolution and the edges are clearly being cut off and the PS4's internal "application display safe area" thing does nothing. The PS3 version has the option. What gives?

I had that exact problem as well.

Some were able to fix it through their tv settings. Unfortunately mine had no effect :(

I ended up just playing it on my ps3 instead.

Well, I just lowered the lifebars a little and it basically looks okay. Just ignore the words cut off on the character select screen and the sidebar button inputs in training mode getting cut off in a strange way at the bottom.

But, I kind of hope the next game in the series upgrades the floor and some of the particle textures. The ground shadows look kind of jank, too. I keep forgetting that this is basically one of those borderline, PS3.5 type games.

I just hope the next GG is PS4 exclusive, so they can actually improve the effects and stuff way more (models are nice the way they are now) without having to worry about inferior hardware.

If they ever implement Johnny I wonder how they'll do Mist Finer effect without looking weird. Same for most of Testy's bloodish attacks.

... wait, did anyone else notice this game lacks blood? Is that effect hard to implement?

If they ever implement Johnny I wonder how they'll do Mist Finer effect without looking weird. Same for most of Testy's bloodish attacks.

... wait, did anyone else notice this game lacks blood? Is that effect hard to implement?

Mist Finer never drew blood, iirc. It is weird that they took blood out of the game, though. Maybe trying to make it more kid-friendly?

Mist Finer never drew blood, iirc. It is weird that they took blood out of the game, though. Maybe trying to make it more kid-friendly?

No, no, I mean the mist effect of Mist Finer :v: The blood and things are a totally completely thing I was referring lol

Considering I-no exists in this game, I don't think this game will ever be E-friendly

I think the move you're thinking of is "Bacchus Sigh," the one that looks like Alucard's mistform from SotN. You'd hope they'd be able to make a decent-looking mist cloud in Unreal Engine...

Also, you've given me the sudden mental image of I-no as a kindergarten teacher. LOL. Just imagine her talking to little kids in that voice, asking them if they want to be cuddled.

If I remember correctly they already removed blood in Accent Core. I always thought it was because of the ESRB rating, but it was always considered Teen ever since the first games.

I really missed the blood effects of GG.  It looked visually appealing and made moves look like it had more impact.  First thing I noticed in AC was the lack of blood, instead they added stupid hit effects instead.  I thought Xrd might add it back but nope.

I remember hearing a story about a kid killing someone with a knife saying he was influenced by Samurai Shodown V special.  So I thought they got rid of the blood because it wasn't a popular thing to have in arcades after that?  But that doesn't make much sense when I think about it. 

Still salty that they got rid of the blood >_>.  Also how SSV special never had a port with blood either after that incident lol.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA9FmpXgHtY   Thats the SSVsp fatalities for those wondering how violent it was.  Not much really.

I really missed the blood effects of GG.  It looked visually appealing and made moves look like it had more impact.  First thing I noticed in AC was the lack of blood, instead they added stupid hit effects instead.  I thought Xrd might add it back but nope.

I remember hearing a story about a kid killing someone with a knife saying he was influenced by Samurai Shodown V special.  So I thought they got rid of the blood because it wasn't a popular thing to have in arcades after that?  But that doesn't make much sense when I think about it. 

Still salty that they got rid of the blood >_>.  Also how SSV special never had a port with blood either after that incident lol.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA9FmpXgHtY   Thats the SSVsp fatalities for those wondering how violent it was.  Not much really.

Would you happen to have a link to the story. And yes, I too am a bit disappointed that there wasn't any blood in Accent Core, I also didn't like how "basic" the announcer for AC sounded in comparison to the one used from the very first iteration of XX to Slash. But alas, both are simply cosmetic changes so I'll live.

Back on topic, seems like the character models PS3 version seems a bit more "jagged" and "blurry" than the PS4 version?

I'm just grateful there IS a PS3 version as someone who's pretty much done with console gaming after this gen (I only have a PS3 because someone gave it to me.) I'm holding out for a PC port (would probably be the best version if it happens) but if not, I'm satisfied for now with the PS3 version. 

It's definitely there in Chapter 10 of story mode. The ESRB rating already covers blood, so I doubt random blood spurts during gameplay would raise the rating any, Not having it during gameplay must be an aesthetic choice like in AC. 

The ESRB rating already covers blood, so I doubt random blood spurts during gameplay would raise the rating any, Not having it during gameplay must be an aesthetic choice like in AC. 

Since it's got a T rating, it only covers minimal blood and bloodless violence, and the description on the ESRB site indeed mentions only blood as an aftereffect of violence. Having blood spurts during gameplay would have a real risk of bumping it into the M category.

There actually is still blood in the game, it just has a very bright neon color and looks more like part of the hitspark now. Try doing Sol cr.S on someone and you can see the blood. It's kind of a bright orange, but there's definitely some liquid there.