Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheRealBobMan

[Xrd] I-No Video Critique Thread

I have two videos of me playing on the Final Round Stream

Against Marlin-Pie 

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/v/3928035?t=2h26m13s

Against Lord Knight

http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/v/3929481?t=58min35s

I feel that I didn't exactly play my best, (not being patient enough at neutral, dropped set-ups/combos, ect)  But I'll try to give myself some slack as I've still got a lot to learn.  Any notes/criticisms are welcome, if you feel so inclined :-)

I have two videos of me playing on the Final Round Stream

Against Marlin-Pie 

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/v/3928035?t=2h26m13s

Against Lord Knight

http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/v/3929481?t=58min35s

I feel that I didn't exactly play my best, (not being patient enough at neutral, dropped set-ups/combos, ect)  But I'll try to give myself some slack as I've still got a lot to learn.  Any notes/criticisms are welcome, if you feel so inclined :-)

it also didnt help we had to play teams at 3am jesus.  

So my local scene just put up a ft7 MM I did with our Ky player PurifyWeirdSoul or PWS|Brent as he goes by sometimes. It's an ok set but it is from a couple months back (before the 1.1 patch). Anyways it may give people some ideas or see some situations in the Ky match up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CP2IwOOaw78

Edit - I would have some videos of me playing at TCW tournament that just happened in VA but my first top 8 match wasn't streamed and my second top 8 match was a picture in picture inside winners finals set lol. Anyways more Inos in top 8 yay!

Someone who wanted a critique from my ask.fm page. Thought it would be better served here where they could have multiple eyes-on their gameplay.

Random Guy:

----I've recorded the replay of 4 of my worst matches against my firend's Ky https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx6npwK53gCIC46HU-kbkE5na2SoEcrgp tho since I don't have a capture card so it's by phone, sorry.----

http://www.twitch.tv/mtlfgc/v/12130441?t=1h13m50s

http://www.twitch.tv/mtlfgc/v/12130441?t=1h57m21s

halp, what to do vs Potemkin? FDB destroys I-No's projectile game, his normals beat ours at midrange and close range is a huge gamble. One good backdash guess and you take a potemkin buster for 1/3 of your life with a buster vortex to follow. Of course when Potemkin has 50% meter, he can escape the corner for free with heavenly potemkin buster and catch your VCL YRC while he's at it. Or he could just YRC heavenly pot buster startup and get through anything for 25%. He has a ton of tools to escape the corner and many chances to do so while 2 bad guesses on your part and you're practically out. I don't know what to do.

2P is Pot's standard round opener because it'll stuff pretty much all of our ground game options and may recover in time to block a dive if you're too slow.  It's mostly used to encourage you to jump out or backdash so he can go for something more rewarding.  IB it and try to gain a better position, or take a risk to deal with it.

jump > dive can work, but he can bait with 6P (into a combo) or Heat Knuckle (corner push)

j.D FDC low airdash or j.D FDC into some kind of punish kicks ass, but it's also high risk per the difficulty and the fact that you're spending the little meter you get for jumping forward on the j.D FDC, so if he pushes a different button you get wrecked.  That said, if you do the low airdash to j.S > j.H, if they panic burst the j.S you'll block in time.  This option also gives you a full combo with corner push, whereas j.D FDC > into a 2K or other whiff punish might not have as big a reward.

I'm on break at work so I'll have to do more when I get home.

So per your game:

1.  Shoot notes just over his head in this matchup.  This might bait him to use (and whiff) FDB instead of doing something more useful.  It also restricts him from jumping, though he can still do that.  I noticed you tried that at least once, but when you attempted to drop the note on his back (which is what you would do in AC/+R) he was able to FDB it.  I guess you can really only go for that once you've conditioned them to stop using FDB.  At 1:16:23 you shot a note at him, then tried to punish FDB with HCL, but FDB gets 1-22 Strike Invul when the reflect wave goes active.  Don't do that.

2.  At 1:15:23 you tried to knock down with 2D instead of HCL.  That whiff could have cost you more than it did.

3.  At 1:15:47 you dropped a combo that was pretty critical.  You also took a big risk by diving right after you teched his punish, and lost the match.  In a situation like that, the strategic move would have been to back up and figure things out.  He didn't have the meter to catch you with HPB.  Grind that combo out and make sure you wont drop it.  If you just know you're going to drop it, go for HCL ~ D instead and just take the knockdown + oki.  That combo wasn't going to kill, but the follow up on oki could have even if you went with the lower damage option and gotten the knockdown.

4.  At 1:16:50 you probably could have punished the Slidehead on reaction with TK Psycho Crusher (Hdive).  You were sitting back there blocking, so it's not like you had to watch for a mixup or something.  If Pot was a little closer and you weren't blocking, 5H would have also worked.  If you're looking specifically for Slidehead and you're not forced to block something, you can reaction with 5H since I-No leaves the ground right as Slidehead would hit, and since Pot leans forward when he does this you can hit him from a little more than 1/2 screen.  Confirm into STBT-H near the corner for a full combo or at mid screen for some corner push and 5-hit note oki, or you might be able to IAD into j.K > j.S > j.H > and get a full combo that way.

5.  At 1:16:57 you did a HCL RC confirm and went for j.S > j.H.  Dashing into FFVCL > 5H > IAD stuff gives more corner push and damage.

6.  I noticed that you rarely use j.D in your mixup.  Use j.D in your mixup a little more often.  You also don't really use dash j.H / feint j.H into 2K mixup much.  Part of what makes I-No hard to block is the sheer variety of things to watch for and timings to adjust for if you're just fuzzy blocking.  Dash j.K > 2K, dash j.K > j.S, dash j.S > 2K, dash j.S > j.K > 2K, etc.  Dash j.H and feint j.H are best on oki when covered by a note because they're slower in this game than before.

7.  You frequently go for IAD FFVCL options during neutral or pressure.  Use the IAD stuff a tad less.  Coming back to this, yeah at 1:20:03 you get HPB'd for it.  And again at 1:20:41.  Stop please!

8.  Lots of HCL in neutral.  He has FDB, so cut that out.  Don't be afraid to block if he's at that range since he can't really mix you up when you're that far away.  2D/5D mixup isn't very strong.  If he goes for anything else he opens himself up to something.

9.  Sometimes you use HCL ~ D knockdown when you don't need to (since Pot is heavy you can get away with HCL knockdown in more places).  This causes your Note to come in late on oki and let him get out with FDB.  You can get away with it in other matchups, but not in this one.

10.  1:18:55 you drop a combo again out of 2S by not using HCL.

11.  1:19:45 I think you could have followed the FFVCL with 5H > j.H > Pdive instead for better damage.

12.  1:20:27 not sure if you had enough time to leave the ground normally (HCL on frame 1 vs jumping on frame 3), but TK Hdive would have clipped him there and either led to a tech chase or gave you knockdown.  This also discourages continued use of Slidehead.

13.  1:21:07 could have c.S > VCL > c.S > whatever instead of going for a j.S link.  Better damage too.  No Burst, so if that was a Burst bait you made a huge tactical error.  A few seconds later you drop the knockdown with HCL again.  I think this is because Pot is crouching, though I'm like 98% sure it still hits him because he's tall, and if not you could go into STBT for damage + meter and returning to neutral.  Better than whiffing and giving him initiative.

14.  1:21:15 should have been your round off of that confirm.  Even a super safe option of dash FFVCL > c.S > j.S > j.H > Pdive > dash j.H > FFVCL would have killed.  Optimal damage would have involved FFj.D into VCL loop.

15.  You need to instant block.  Get more tension pulse, create more openings.  I think the standard way of dealing with Pot j.D is jump IB > airthrow or throw on landing.  At least it's less risky than early VCL, 6P, etc.

Taking a break, I'll probably use a second post for the second video.

So my 2 cents about your Pot matches @Rhannmah:

Three biggest issues:
1) predictable strings 
     Especially when you had him in the corner he was just waiting for you to jump to score some of those Heavenly Busters.  Just mix it up more and dont be afraid to let the match go back to neutral, especially if you have the lead.  you threw away many a match by being over aggressive when you didn't have to.

2) low damage/meaningful conversion on hits you got
     Many times after scoring a hit in the corner you would just string to 2s > 2Hs > hcl.  This string gives you small damage and just decent oki.  I'd like you see more damaging combos or at least combos that give you better positioning and set up (specifically set ups where you don't have to deal with that heavenly YRC BS or his godly backdash).  There are also many useful Pot specific combos that you may want to look into such as:

* corner: 2k > 6p > Hs > iad j.k > j.s > vcl > (land) Hs > jump forward Hs > p-dive > air dash j.Hs > vcl > (land) cl.s or 2s or 6hs > hcl > [set ground note/air note for 6hs] 
         * crouching: j.s > cl.s > Hs > iad j.k > j.s > j.Hs > (land) cl.s > ender depending on location on screen  [with this one you can actually land another rep of Hs > iad stuff but the Hs link is difficult]
         * midscreen: 2k > 6p > Hs > super jump iad j.k > j.s > j.Hs > (land) jump forward j.p > j.s > dj.s > dj.Hs > HCL ~D

The first combo is to replace the double vcl combos in the corner since Pot usually falls too fast, but does more damage than the one vcl into j.s > j.Hs > p-dive stuff.  The second two give ridiculous corner push allowing any hit to turn into Pot having to walk full screen again through notes, HCL, short hover Hs, ect.  

3) lack of Pot specific tech
     The main thing I'm going to say here is something you already know.  Practice the flick wiff punish with HCL.  The timing is weird, but this technique can dominate the neutral if he's going to let you throw notes and try to flick them.  The technique I do if just set the note to barely miss Pot at the last minute by going too high, then short dash into immediate HCL.  Done correctly this is a punish to the flick giving you the knockdown and initiative to go in or continue  ranged game.  
     Another great technique to help you out would be fuzzy jumping the set ups he was using to land those empty jump busters on you.  In case you (or others) don't know to do this you simply block on wake up then immediately hold up back + FD, then immediately back down to the down-back position.  There are ways to beat this, but trying it out when you think a tick set up may happen gives you a low risk response which is hard to deal with unless specifically meant to punish your attempt.
     Last things that you may already know, you can blitz shield heat knuckle. You can os Pot's backdash with well timed hoverdash into safe jump normal - tap kick or 2s and it should only come out if he tries to backdash, punishing the attempt.  The chain 2s > 2Hs that you ended up wiffing a lot (2Hs wiff) can instead be done as 2s > 2d.  This hits at a further distance and still allows you to hit HCL or cancel into note.  Learn high damage punishes for people who like to guess blitz shield on wakeup (universally you can just 2hs (CH) > hoverdash j.s > (land) into things.  To prevent heavenly wake up from grabbing vcl yrc and super just do the input early so you'll have enough time to land before the grab becomes active or just YRC in general to mess up their inputs.

So yeah, that's just a bunch of stuff you might already know, but hopefully some of it helped!  Sorry if I sound dry or judgmental in my post, I liked watching your Ino play! 

EDIT - since I noticed you talking about neutral/midrange.  By virtue of pot getting hit crouching by HCL, this puts you in the great position of being able to punish every one of Pot normals if he wiffs them.  Slash, Heavy Slash, 6P, 2S, ect can all be hit by hcl in their recovery by out spacing the move.  Ino can also travel under Pot's go to pokes with STBT, this includes heavy slash, far slash, 6p. and 2s.  Any normal Pot hits that STBT cannot go under (2p, 2D ) you can hoverdash over them.  

If he goes aerial your 6p can deal with most angles, but you can also look for double/super jumps then dash forward and command grab him as he lands since he can no longer change his trajectory without doing something unlikely.  Also, hcl and vcl beat his j.d clean which is pretty awesome :-)  

Second Set

1.  At 1:58:05 you hit with 2S and don't confirm anything.  At that range 2D would have worked for knockdown.  You also have 50% for RC and you're near the corner.  2S > HCL > RC > dash FFVCL > 5H > corner combo would have hurt, and at that low health may have taken the round or forced him to burst.

2.  At 1:58:24 you oki and bait a BS, but then don't punish him because you went for STBT-S instead.  Pay more attention and try to confirm on your oki when you go for a bait.  You also could have shot a note and probably would have baited a dead angle instead, which costs him more meter and prorates meter gain.  I mean yeah, he could have BS'd that too, but he'd just get some invul and would have had to block your dash-in mixup anyway.

3.  At 1:58:28 you jump and go air-to-air for what looks like a throw attempt that fails.  I noticed that you don't go for air-to-air j.P very much.  On regular hit you combo into j.S and on CH you can combo into j.H, followed by either Sdive or HCL ~ D for knockdown.  Pot's air normals are slow, so j.P does a good job in this matchup.  It also would have helped at 1:58:32 when you jumped back and saw that he also jumped toward you.

4.  At 1:58:40 you do nearly full-screen backdash into random HCL.  By the time you're committed, he's already going for ICPM.  He had meter to YRC it on startup too, so the HCL was a huge risk.  At that range it wouldn't have even hit him, and if he had moved forward with Hamerfall he might have had enough health to armor through it.  You had the meter for Note YRC, which could have really helped to lock him down if you had aimed it up.  Not even being Captain Hindsight here.  Moving along the floor with Hamerfall YRC would have been slower and more expensive.  He knows you have the tools to try to chip him out, so he's either going to advance slowly on the floor to tank it with FDB, or TK ICPM YRC to get in with his 50% left for FD on reaction.  It also would have helped if you didn't backdash.  If that backdash was because you expected Slidehead, you need to pay more attention to his animations on oki.

5.  At 1:58:42 I don't like your Burst.  It's nearly the end of the round.  If you had held onto it you'd have had the option next round, rather than taking the risk here against a Pot with full meter who could have used any sort of YRC/RC/PRC shenanigan to bait it.

6.  At 1:59:36 if that 2S was a callout for that backdash, I'd have used 5K instead.  Starts 2 frames faster, active 5 frames longer, gatlings to 6P to set up a full combo whereas 2S would get a smaller reward on hit.  If the 2S was just mistiming a 2K > 2S string, then that's a thing also and I'm guilty of little timing things like that a lot.

7.  At 1:59:39... just going to call out that Reversal Desperation is a big risk in this matchup since he can flick it and wreck you in the corner.  This was really predictable, a bad strategic move, and just a poor call in general since you had plenty of time to react to his safe jump and realize it wouldn't have worked anyway.

8.  At 2:00:17 you Sdive unexpectedly.  If you thought Pdive wouldn't work there, take the safe knockdown with Kdive.  Since Sdive scales RISC by 19 you get shit damage afterward, especially that late in a combo.

9.  At 2:01:03 TK Psycho Crusher.  Scare Pot into not using Slidehead.  It may put him more on defense to look for "random" Hdive use, which has him blocking more in neutral at long range.  This gives you additional time to set up Notes, or even just to walk forward/backward to a good range.

10.  At 2:01:20 that CH 6H happened.  It looked like it hit meaty, so you should have been able to react to the startup and block.  At that range most of his stuff shouldn't have been a worry...  PB/6H/Heat mixup was probably the worst of it since he was too far away for 5K and didn't have time for a jump in, and if you had backdashed you wouldn't have been dizzied.

11.  Additional general comments for this matchup:  5Px2 is useful at times since it'll beat Hammerfall and some other things, and gives you time to confirm into at least knockdown.  Airdash late j.D is good for catching Pot backdash.  After a 4-hit airdash string, sometimes you may want to VCL YRC to frame-trap.  If it works, in the corner you go into VCL loop for huge damage, and if it's blocked you get to go into a mixup.  That said, sometimes you need to j.D/2K mixup at the end to bait BS.  Or random Fortissimo to bait BS.  If you have 50+% meter on your oki, sometimes it's worth doing random Fortissimo.  Just make sure you mix it up and do 23663214S sometimes, and 23632147S other times to bait from different situations.  Cover both the token "I'ma stand right next to you on oki and then jump/VCL at the last second to bait a throw" as well as the "I'm dashing in for a mixup that's probably an overhead" angles.

I enjoyed the commentary saying that to adapt you need to stop getting hit by 5D and that's pretty much it.  I think you got hit by that maybe twice across both sets?  Most of your mistakes were in neutral or during your own pressure.  They did call out that you SHOULDN'T HAVE JUMPED though.

Sometimes you need to not be afraid to just walk forward.  It's risky in this matchup, I know.  If you learn Pot's range you can get him to whiff, then punish him with various things.  If you have meter those punishes can be pretty huge.  Stop jumping and stop IADing in.  On defense, learn to IB to create gaps to escape and FD to create room to breathe.  Pushback increases with each successive hit in a blockstring, so while most Pots will probably react with PB if they see you FDing the first hit of their pressure, they might keep going if they see you using IB, at which point you can FD the third or fourth hit to push them out.  Also learn where the natural holes are in his pressure, such as after 6K.

If a Pot is using 6K in his pressure in the corner, he either has to let it recover or go into a special move, and the fastest he has besides Heat is FDB at frame 19.  6K is level 4 so it's normally safe to do this on block, but if you IB you create a 4-frame hole.  I-No can't really punish at that range, but if you were to FD to push him so that FDB whiffs, you could punish that.  Once he starts letting 6K recover, it's normally -9 and would be -13 with IB, so you should be able to whiff punish with 2S.  If you have 50% you can RC that into a confirm and push him out of the corner, and if not you can at least take the initiative away.  These are the kind of situations you need to figure out if you want to expand your defense and not be jumping all the time.  Yeah, Pot Buster is scary, but he only really hit you with it when using frame traps.  All of your running away set you up to be punished by other things most of the time.

just something to correct, Pot can cancel 6K into instant Hammerfall Break which is +3 on normal hit and -1 on IB. Trying to interrupt the 6K also contain the risk of getting Hammerfall CH RC into massive damage

Hm...  if he goes for Hammerfall from too far away, 5Px2 would work out, but otherwise you could use the gap to FD-jump out.  If he's too close after 6K > Hammerfall Break, you can attempt to throw (since 6H first hit is frame 5, it would stuff Pot's poke options if your timing was on point).  Desperation is risky since it's not throw invul and he could just flick it, but if Pot is feeling comfy he might continue to push buttons and get hit by it, and this will work from further away than throw/6H.  I don't remember if STBT goes under 6K or Hammerfall right now and I don't have the ability to check.

Still, more reason to learn to IB to deal with his stuff.  Letting Pot reset pressure with a 3-frame advantage when you're cornered is not good.  Pot probably wont be going for Hammerfall unless he has the meter to RC (he'd let you escape on block and there's less reward without the RC anyway), but you can count on Hammerfall Break / FDB as his main options if he corners you and uses 6K to try to keep you there.  Also, most of his ground normals are slow, so if you IB the 6K you still have decent options to poke out.  2K will out speed most of his options, and you can crouch under his 5P.  The big one to watch out for is his 2P and any following traps.  Even with Hammerfall Break and 6K moving him forward, there's eventually a point where he's pushed out too far to do anything meaningful (if he doesn't hit you first), and you can try to create this earlier with calculated FD use.

Thanks for calling that out Flick!  I was up late working on this so I wasn't fully attentive.

btw, thanks for the replies guys. I was looking more in terms of general matchup info since i feel that i-no loses at all ranges. Trying to force a block with a combo of note + HCL might be an idea. Just a thing though, Potemkin can't FDB supers anymore, thank god

Just some more recent videos of me playing in tourneys:

--At TFC--

vs NerdJosh (Elph)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMnASNvXWGI

vs Slim (Bedman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzUb2oFierU @26min

--Random Online things people have uploaded---

vs _hdcloudstrife (Pot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UlhrzoqU1Y

vs Brandino (Leo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz0HbIYYeMo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kywPgGfC8W0 

I wouldn't say any of these matches is that great for me, but I can at last see a progression from where I started with the character.  Need to work harder on committing to my match up strategy and not getting lost in the scramble.  As always feel free to critique or tell me I'm terrible :-) 

I just got a chance to make it out to a VA event yesterday and got on stream a couple times, here is the playlist:

Matches include - vs. MOB|Ursine (Axl)
                             vs. Jin (Millia)
                             vs. AngryBlack (May/Axl)
                             vs. BZB (Chipp)

feel free to let me know what you guys think ect ect ect  Also, be on the lookout for me streaming some Ino stuff on twitch.tv/pacstrife :-D