Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stellarcircle5

Millia vs. Venom: Pitching and catching V.2

(Reposted from gameplay thread because relevance. And we should probably get matchup discussion going as it is.)

What am I supposed to do against Venom? Pin isn't reliable against him anymore as it gets stuffed by balls and his 6P. Neutral feels like a real (mad) struggle. And if if he sets up ball spam I can barely get in now that roll gets wrecked by projectiles. Anti airing him with anything that isnt j.K feels really hit or miss. Finally, it feels nigh impossible to win a poke war against him, he has the range advantage, and H-Stinger RC confirms REALLY hurt. It feels a lot harder than it was in +R, although Venom is definitely a stronger character now.

Also throws. 

THROWS! What can I do against a Venom who is adept at reactionary YRC > air throw? It makes jumping a really scary decision.

I too would really like some pointers in this matchup. I find the hardest thing to do is get in since he can keep Millia out with both balls and the reach of his pokes. I don't find the pin to be completely useless though so long as it is VERY well timed. I usually end up getting stuck and hoping that he leaves an opening or something for a lucky roll>digitalis hit or iron savior. Sometimes 6H can catch him if you're preemptive enough with it and if it manages to hit I usually do Secret garden. It is imperative that you catch ANY opening you can to set up oki because once chance may be all you get.

One thing I've been doing is using hair car right outside of his poke range, it has longer reach and if you can space it right they'll whiff their normal and get hit by it.
That and random roll > digitalis when you can get them to 2nd guess poking at you seems to work out for me.

I'm definitely no expert in the match but it's soothing that has helped me before.

This matchup has gotten more annoying in some ways.

First, antiairs. Millia's best AA against Venom was reactionary 5P, which is pretty much nerfed to the point of not being a viable AA against Venom air normals now. 6P still remains a bad AA due to Venom being able to change his air trajectory of flat out beat it with j.H. 2H can work, but also loses to j.H sometimes and can be avoided and punished with MS, so I don't go to this either. Instead, it's probably best to use IAD j.K just before you think Venom will land: if it whiffs, backdash immediately or try for instant rejump K depending on what Venom was doing.

I would avoid challenging Venom ground normals or rolling your way in. Instead, you have to rely on air movement and pin to get close. Venom's 6P is still really good (more so in a game with nerfed 6Ps) as it will beat all of your air normals, but will lose (CH) against Silent Force.

So use the threat of pin to get in. Jump forward and use pin just before landing if you anticipate a 6P. Mix this up with just j.S (which he can no longer low profile) when he starts respecting it, or air dash back/forward if he uses movement to get out of the situation. You can also try a max height pin, then low AD immediate j.K-S, if you're close enough. Or if you're within his sweep range, try an occasional IAD pin (land on other side) > dash.

Without pin, if you see Venom not charging a stinger and no balls are set up, you can attempt a (backdash) Secret Garden to clear a path in.

Finally, as a desperate measure you can try a super jump or double jump Turbofall YRC to get in fast, but then you'll have to be ready to airdash to avoid throws or normals if you end up too close.

Speaking of throws, you shouldn't be getting thrown on the ground - if you are, it means you're running in too far or jumping or air dashing carelessly. You don't need to get to point blank range at neutral to be effective in this (or any) matchups as Millia.

Air throws are a real possibility, but if you can see the common setups that are getting you thrown, you can air dash backwards at that time to cause a whiff j.H, and then potentially punish the whiff with a 5K AA into corner carry. If he's YRCing to help him land throws, you can always start baiting it with early air dash back and be safe, or if you were doing something you could YRC in response and then airdash back and go for a whiff punish.

There's a lot to consider in this match and I've only played it a handful of times, so I can't say much on it for now.

Found a cool method of getting in on Venom when he is trying to zone you out. Approach from about half screen length and follow up with a jump into late IAD Pin. The pin will snipe whichever ball is immediately in front of him. When the pin hits, immediately YRC and run forward to counter hit him out of his next move. This should help in keeping Venom more willing to stay in your kill space (which is also his, but hey, it's an even trade.)

Don't do it too much of course, last thing you want is the Venom player growing wise to your shenanigans.

If he sticks you in the corner and gets that ball + great normals pressure going.. can you get Barrier Guard to find some space to have a chance to jump out? Sick of his 6H smacking me down lol.

you could try. i prefer to just block and see if i can find a away out. you could try to mash out of his ball setups. i do feel like CA works good but its costly. you could also use this opportunity to do winger (remember that move. its a reversal just letting you know incase you forgot) it has tremendous reward on him because now he is in the corner.

idk he is a real problem in the corner. i really need to play more good venoms