Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hollysmoke

[Xrd] I-No Q&A/FAQ/101 Thread

Some characters like Millia and May can tech more quickly than others, in those cases you have to either charge P Dive or delay the air dash, I prefer doing the last because is more easy and safe to get a guaranteed knockdown that way than if you charge P Dive, but again it depends of the situation and the character you're facing.

they don't tech more quickly, they just float more so they might still be in the air when the hitstun ends compared to other heavier characters

They do tech more quickly, test it for yourself. Slayer and Venom for example that are not heavier characters, and Potemkin and Bedman that they are, it makes no difference. They are unable to tech more quickly than Millia and others, weight has nothing to do with it, same goes with the wakeup of each character.

No. There isn't any difference in untech time from character to character. For example, for ANY I-No combo going into airdash>j.S(11th hit)>j.K(12th hit)>VCL(would be 13th hit), the VCL will ALWAYS blackbeat, on ANY character. If there were untech time differences from character to character, you'd see different results there. Wakeup time is NOT the same and varies from character to character.

Lighter characters are more floaty, therefore they spend more time in the air, therefore they get the chance to tech out of some combos since they have more time to do so compared to heavier characters.

It also depends on their body as they hit the floor.  Johnny was easy to combo in AC/+R because he lies down in the air, but that also meant that he had to fall a little further to actually hit the ground.  You could connect Pdive from much further away from the corner than with other characters (like Sol), but you'd have to get him pretty close to the ground if you were going to attempt a Pdive knockdown on him in that game.

Which was possible, but you really needed at least 50% meter for it to be worth it.  You'd push yourself out far enough for FBnote to hit 10 times, which cranks GB to flashing, and so with 25% more you had the j.S/2S mixup into HCL 6FRC6 for like 50-75% combos.

And for the record there were some situations where you'd knockdown with Sdive in AC/+R instead of Kdive, but it was difficult to set up because Sdive floats, so you needed to do it to heavier characters, or mid weights that you already pulled low to the ground.

But yeah, Venom, Zato, Millia, I-No, etc are all skinny, fall with different hitboxes, and have differing weight.  I find that I have to Pdive immediately against Zato, whereas I'd have to hold it against other characters like Millia.

Ok guys, this question is about note oki. I feel like their are a variety of ways it has to be applied. When im testing in training mode it feels like some characters need IA note and others the IA note moves too fast so you use grounded note?  Also It looks like I should delay grounded note then press down so it travels faster? Then theres wake up timings to account for. Im generally confused about this. Maybe its me but it feels more than just get a knock down and fire a note. Can anyone explain this to me? Maybe im over thinking it 

Generally speaking the two factors in getting note oki are the opposing character's wake up speed and hitbox. On your end you must also be cognizant of how much advantage your different knock downs give you and the distance you are left away from the opponent. For example, if you do a grounded, midscreen throw then you must always do immediate tk note to get the meaty. In this same situation you can also ground note YRC and still dash into a meaty aerial move, with the note behind you.

So common knockdowns that usually need immediate tk note are ground throw (midscreen) and HCL on grounded opponents (you get slightly more time here if you pop them up with 6p first). Also, corner knockdowns after p dive usually require the TK note.

Some times when you can do grounded note are when your knockdown with a chain into 2D (affected by character wake ups and hitbox size so may have to delay the note cancel on Venom, Elph, Chipp, Sin, ect) and knockdowns that leave you close in the corner like 2d ->HCL on Eddie.

Hopefully that gives you a basic idea of what type of note and timing you should be using. Feel free to ask about specific combo enders or set ups if your having a specific issue with one.

hey, GG newbie here..
i have a question :
is there a page on dustloop with all of the shortcut notations like i-no's FFVCL etc ?
sometimes i don't know which move is meant or what the FF before the vertical chemical love means..

hey, GG newbie here..

i have a question :

is there a page on dustloop with all of the shortcut notations like i-no's FFVCL etc ?

sometimes i don't know which move is meant or what the FF before the vertical chemical love means..

There's literally an entire tab that says "Guide Specific Notation" in the combo thread.

FFVCL is free fall VCL, which is on the wiki as well. Don't be lazy, thanks.

Sry elite commander holly for asking something on a forum.. how could i ? I am the last person who writes something because i usually look through the forums first.. and my bad for that one time not seeing a tab.

And thank you Rhannmah

Hey this may be a dumb question but i dont understand VCL YRC oki that well... when i do it I-No seems to float a bit after the YRC so i cant continue preassure inmediatly, should i be doing FFVCL YRC? I read in the wiki about ffvcl but i wanted to ask, does it only work at the start/end of an airdash? or does it also work out of a hoverdash?

Sry if its a dumb question, im just kinda confused here cuz i watch the videos and see the crazy amount of frame advantage and i dont seem to have that when trying it myself :(

When you use VCL YRC on oki, being put into the air is actually one of the greatest strengths about that option.  VCL is active for 10 frames so most characters can't backdash it when meatied.  You'll be put into the air, but because you can FD while the active hitbox is on top of them, this is reversal safe (DPs, Supers), and since you're airborne you don't have to worry about reversal throw.  If they don't try to DP or BS to get out, you can j.K before landing or 2K after landing for a near-unreactable mixup.  You can also confirm the hit if they tried to disrespect and poke out (some characters can reversal 6P through meaty j.K and will get caught by the VCL) and go into j.D > VCL loop for huge damage in the corner.  If they go for BS it's a little more complicated, but that's risky for them to do if you actually mix up your oki since they have to read the high/low correctly.  It also doesn't protect them from silly walk-up > throw shenanigans, and you can call them out with Fortissimo oki to plow through the BS.

FFVCL only works during airdash frames, and it seems that you lose the landing recovery if the VCL is done during the last frame of the airdash (which happens to be set up such that if you dash > j.K > j.S > FFVCL perfectly frame tight you'll be on that frame).  You will not FFVCL during hoverdash.

Not that I know of.  I never get on Skype, but maybe we should make one.  I know there's a GG chat that sort of turned into a general FG chat though... I'm 'in' that one even though I never use Skype.  On the one hand, I like the idea of having a chat like that to facilitate real-time conversation when people are practicing, but on the other hand I don't like the idea of info getting buried in the chat instead of being put here for people to reference later.  I guess as long as someone helps to move valid info over to the forum it'd be worthwhile.

Hey guys could anyone explain how to safe jump with I-No?

I keep reading everywhere and also in commentary people talking about safe jumping with I-Nos j.k... but how? Does it only work after specific types of knockdowns? Do i have to whiff a button (a la SFIV) in order to time it correctly? Im really confused about that one and i really want to learn that. I keep getting stopped in my tracks against Leo by his flashkick and if i could safe jump that it would be... really great ^_^

Thanks for the help guys :)

To get safe jumps, you need to know your opponents wakeup timings relative to what distance and where you got the knockdown from. To safejump leo, is relatively easy. His DP is on the slower side and his wakeup timing is fairly typical.

Try this for an example:

Hit Leo with HCL from about max~close to max range. This is an example of a range where you typically can't get a meaty note without meter. Go Hoverdash~Hoverdash j.K. While you're doing j.K, hold down 1 so that you will block. If you time it right, your j.K will hit meaty and it will also hit pretty low. If you do this from too high, it will not be a safe jump.

Now. Record yourself doing that setup (pick Leo for p1, I-no for p2). HCL > Hoverdash~Hoverdash j.K (hold 1). Play Leo, and try to DP on wakeup after you get hit by HCL and wake up from it. The j.K should "wiff" because of the invulnerable frames on Leos DP, but I-no will land and be able to block before the active frames of said DP.

Now, run the record again, but this time, only block as Leo or don't block at all. The j.K should hit you. This is what a safe jump is.

Once you have the timing and the concept down, you can run safe jumps from pretty much any knockdown that gives you enough time for a meaty hoverdash>j.K (or j.S/j.H).

When you're doing the j.K (or j.H/j.S), you need to confirm fast that the opponent did not DP and run whatever you wanted to after it. If he did DP, run your max punish. For Axl, it's typically Hoverdash>j.H. For pretty much anyone else, it's (walk to close gap)c.s>6P>5H>iad bnb.

I started playing I-no a few days ago. I'm now familiar with all the basics, but one aspect I am not comfortable with is meter combos.

Which combos do max damage for 50 meter in the corner and mid-screen from a a one hit -> 6P ->5H launcher?

Sorry, been busy, and it seems like activity has dropped off of Dustloop.  Most people prefer to post on twitter, where it's not easy to access information and you can't post long information dumps.  It's good for seeing videos I guess?

Anyway, attacking during time slow adds a prorate, so most of I-No's RC based combos aren't damage optimized.  You'd use RC more to get confirms off of stray hits or long-range hits where you couldn't without spending meter.  Other characters have attacks with huge amounts of hitstun, so they can convert to max damage with RC because the time slow runs out before the combo drops.

Going into super is the better way to spend meter for damage, but supers scale faster than regular hits, and I-No's supers each hit 3 times, so they scale themselves.  You want to confirm into super as early in a combo as possible.

In the corner, a good opener would be to open with 2D > 632146H (Desperation super) > combo.  To make this a strong mixup, pair with something like j.S > 2363214S (Fortissimo Super).  You go high, they get nuked, you go low, they get nuked.

If you open someone up mid screen with something that goes into 6P > 5H, you're probably better off just going for the IAD into corner push.  If you open someone up and think it'll kill, link your opener (probably 2K or j.S/j.H?) into probably c.S > TK Fortissimo, then follow that up with the IAD stuff for corner push.  I'm pretty sure you can link Fortissimo into IAD j.K if you did the super low enough to the ground (since you have to land before you can IAD and that eats time).

IMO I-No does better spending her meter on neutral than on combos in general, but the threat of unprorated damage off of 2D (a low) into Super into a combo is worth using.  Makes her kill threshold off of a corner mixup pretty high since you can save the meter if you hit with j.H, or spend it for the same (maybe slightly better) damage if you feint j.H to go into 2D.  Raw Fortissimo to call out BS also leads to huge corner damage, and good mid-screen damage.