Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hollysmoke

[Xrd] I-No Q&A/FAQ/101 Thread

GGXrd_Header_Q&A_Thread.png

Information
  • Have a question regarding I-No in Xrd? Feel free to ask in this thread for an answer! Check the Dustloop Wiki I-No Page please to see if it covers your question before asking!
  • Stuck on how to do a combo? Need help completing a challenge or learning a particular tech? Ask here and we'll try our best to lend a hand. Please be respectful to one another and follow the forum rules.
  • Please keep combo-related and gameplay discussions in their respective threads.
Collapsed: F.A.Q:

Hey guys I picked up i-no since they didn't add Baiken or Jam.... Anyways I'm having trouble linking the IAD j. K from the 6P 5HS. I've tried doing the super jump method but the opponent would just recover b4 the j. K would hit am I dashing too slow? any tips on how to execute faster and this consistently?

There are a number of ways to mess this one up.  You can do the IAD out of the 5H too early and have the input drop (no dash), or too late to link the j.K.  Now, if you do the IAD right, you'll either input j.K too early and have the input not come out, or you'll do it too late and they'll tech.  I recommend doing the j.K > j.S > FFVCL follow up when you're practicing since that's used in combos vs everyone at mid screen, and the j.S will help you determine what you're messing up.  If you do IAD > j.S, the j.K input was too fast and dropped, but if you see the j.K and they tech, either the j.K was too slow or the IAD was too slow.  You can feel it out from there.

As for the input, the window is a little more lenient than before, so you can IAD with 956 or 9566.  Either seems to work fine, so do whatever is comfortable.  Should be the same if you super jump.

I hope that helps.

Hey there, super new I-no player
I'm having difficulty with trial 30 (iirc its 214H 235P 66 J.S J.K VCL 5S etc etc) 

In that before I land to do 5S after VCL, the dummy techs in the air. 

In this particular trial, is there anything about the timing of P sultry, the following airdash, or the air normals that I need to intentional delay in order to be low enough to prevent this? 

If so, where is the recommended place to delay? 

You can delay both the P Sultry Performance/P Dive as well as the airdash j.K after it! Slight delay before it and a longer delay after it so you get closer to the ground should do the trick.

Note, when I say delaying the Dive, I mean waiting before doing it and not holding down the button, just to be clear.

I think what you are probably doing is not getting a fast fall chemical love.

When you do VCL with air momentum, it should quickly drop you downwards, if you are popping up and then slowly falling after it, you are doing it too slow and need to do the chain into it much faster out of the airdash so you maintain the momentum and get a fast fall VCL.

STBT has low profile frames so you can go under stuff with it.  However, IIRC you can't go under Ramlethal's Toranshi super (the blender super that makes Dark Angel look like a joke because you can actually go under that one and it doesn't have as many hits).  There's plenty of stuff you can go under (like I-No's 2D :gonk:), but also a lot of stuff you can't go under (like Elphelt's shotgun stance anti-air or shotgun blasts).  Regarding YRC, you'll cut off the low profile frames and risk getting hit in the next STBT's startup which isn't low-profile.

In regards to airdashing out of her wave dash, is the input simply 6666 as fast as you can because I keep trying that and it doesn't seem to work.

If you mean hover dash > air dash.

You can either do 66(5)66 but it isn't fastest timing, you need to get to minimum airdash height OR 66956.

I do 6666 on 1P side and 66956 on 2P side.

Cleared Trial 30. I think the big issue for me (And this may seem like a really obvious thing) was I didn't realize how generous the untech time was off of P Dive! Having enough time to actually fall a bit before dashing made this way more consistent for me to get FFVCL as well. Thanks guys 

As far as I know, I-No's only "throw invul" moves are her Dead Angle and the middle portion of STBT (both versions).  Even her supers are only "strike invul".

That said, if you're in the air you can't be ground thrown.  VCL and HCL leave the ground on frame 2, so VCL is a good option to avoid being ground thrown in most matchups (unless the other character's 5H/6H start up really fast), and HCL can work in others (stuffing Pot Buster, but it's risky without YRC because of Hammerfall, and he can also read your HCL/VCL with HPB).  Odds are you'll get a Counter Hit if you read a throw properly and wind up with a nice combo.

STBT being throw invul in the middle helps, but odds are that if you use this move incorrectly they'll throw you out of it anyway.  S version is only throw invul from 6~15 with 20f startup, and H version is throw invul from 11~23 with 28f startup.

Is there any solid punish / combo in the corner that doesn't include the IAD j.lk string? I'm trying some basic launch string to finish with a dive loop like 6P, c.S, j.S, j.H, dive, or maybe c.S, 6P, 5H, j.H, dive, but the 1st dive will whiff like 50% of the time for reasons I can't describe... the timing seems really restrict and I can't never tell if the dive will connect or not. Should I just drop this string and focus on the execution of the IAD?

Also, could someone describe the timing of 66956?

Thank you!

While the IAD string works at mid screen and in the corner, the main corner string you want to go for if you want damage is VCL loop.  Setting it up is tricky since you need them above you.  The main corner string to get some damage and possibly set up a VCL loop would be Pdive > dash into a linker (j.H does the most damage but makes them fall further to where you might not be able to loop VCL very much or at all) > FFVCL > c.S catch.  Some heavyweights might require a j.S linker into FFVCL, but in most cases I go for j.H since that helps prevent the lightweights from floating out.

Pdive is hard to link in the corner so you'll have to get a feel for what characters you can use it on in which situations.  If you can combo c.S against a grounded opponent into 5H, which doesn't always work, you can go right into j.H > Pdive in a lot of cases.  If you do it this way you're replacing the j.S that you would have had to use for a 5H which is way better damage and scaling, and in some cases it makes the Pdive link easier.  Otherwise, if you have to c.S > j.S, sometimes you'll have to Super Jump to get Pdive to connect.  This is problematic since you wont really be able to get much if you go for the FFVCL route, and so if you're doing a super jump for Pdive you generally have to go for the knockdown at this point (Pdive > dash j.H > Kdive or Pdive > Kdive).

In some situations you'll have to use your dives immediately, in some cases you do the input late, and in some cases you do the input immediately and hold for a few frames.  Dive loops are a lot more complicated than they look.  Just have to practice.

But yeah, if bait a burst in the corner or something and you're close enough for VCL to hit, VCL > YRC > j.D is probably going to lead to the most damage for only 25%, or going into Fortissimo > VCL loop is our max damage at 50% (since it doesn't prorate meter gain this would be the optimal thing if you have the meter up front).  If they burst out of a VCL loop like an idiot and wind up way in the air, you can probably just start another one without spending meter.  If you're a little further away and they burst in the corner it's harder to punish without the IAD loop if you don't have meter, but if you do you can HCL > YRC > dash in and set up a VCL loop.  In all cases, these optimized VCL loops (starting with one instead of going into one late) should lead to 50%+ base damage in the corner if you don't mess them up.  The lower bound (Pot and Bed) is above 210, which is the 50% mark for health in this game, and the upper bound gets pretty close to 300 on Millia and Chipp.  Get Rocked.  The basic mid-screen stuff on the wiki is almost done, so I can start working on some corner stuff soon and then get into more complicated stuff.

The IAD loop will help you a lot at mid screen and does work in the corner, but if you want more optimized damage you'll want to work on Dive loop setups too.  Just remember that Sdive scales damage terribly now and has the same damage as Pdive and Kdive, so unlike AC/+R you don't want to try to combo into Sdive early.  Instead you want to avoid using it unless you're trying to knock down or corner push in a way that you relaunch into better oki than HCL ~ D, which means it's mostly a mid screen tool.  Or uh, I guess if you flub the early portion of a combo and realize that the only way to salvage it is to go into Sdive (IE you wanted to jump forward into j.H to set up Pdive but you jumped backward by accident and the j.H still hit).  That's better than dropping a combo and getting owned.

Think of the 66956 input like this.  If you were just to dash into airdash normally, the full input is 6565656.  Compare that to 656956.  You're saving a bit of time on the input by removing a step, and some of the effort of an extra press since you just roll your finger from that second 6 to the 9.  Just dash normally, roll the input up to a 9 kinda casually, then let go of the stick and press 6 again.  While you can do this input really fast, you don't have to.  Taking it slow after the initial dash helps you reach the minimum airdash height anyway.

Im having trouble with the corner 5S>jc>j.S>J.H>Pdive>Dash>J.H>Pdive>land>note ender i can't get the first Pdive to connect i've tried delaying the dive and the J.S>J.H but i just can figure out how to get it consecutively.

It really depends on the character.  Sometimes you have to do the Pdive immediately, sometimes you delay the input after j.H as much as possible, and sometimes you do the input immediately but hold the dive as much as possible.  There are also some situations where you have to super jump into j.S > j.H for Pdive to actually connect, and usually from that height it's really hard to get a second Pdive to connect and still knock down, though the added untech time in this version really helps with that.  Pdive loop is hard on small + lightweight characters, but also gets difficult vs characters will wonky hitboxes like Potemkin and Sol.

Hi all, so I am having a bit of trouble doing this combo on EL: J.D > VCL > 5K > J.S > DJ.H > S dive > 5P > c.S > sj.S > sj.H > K dive. I can't seem to get the 5P to connect because they tech out after Sdive. Any advice for this?

Thank you

Any combos involving Sdive for the wallbounce from mid screen are REALLY tricky.  She probably needs to be closer to the wall when starting, or you might need to delay or hold the Sdive slightly.  The main reason to use the Sdive combos from mid screen is because you'll get better oki if you can get the follow up Kdive ender than if you went for the simple HCL ~ D knockdown, but the difficulty in getting the wall bounce into the 5P link just for the oki (since damage is only like 1-2 points higher with Sdive's horrible scaling) isn't worth it most of the time.  I mean, of course there are times where you have to go for it (or just want to style on someone), so you should still learn it, but you might want to prioritize other things over it once you've gotten it a few times and have a general idea of how it works.  j.D FDC will add a lot more to your game than that combo will.

I have trouble with the sj IAD j.K: most of the time I've got a sj IAD K Dive. My input for super jump IAD is 2369 then 6, unfortunaly I can't do the super jump without 236 even if I try to start from 1, is there a way to avoid the special move to come out (like using the D button like in Garou or finish the move with a special direction like in KOF 13)? 

Bonus: when i manage to do it, I can't do sj IAD j.K > FFVCL , fortissimo comes out instead of VCL lol

Input the SJ without inputting a 236. Takes practice, but it's not that bad. Just make a conscious effort to not hit 3 and develop the muscle memory. If you're getting UF, then you're inputting 236214S in some way.

Make it clean!

Think of the 66956 input like this.  If you were just to dash into airdash normally, the full input is 6565656.  Compare that to 656956.  You're saving a bit of time on the input by removing a step, and some of the effort of an extra press since you just roll your finger from that second 6 to the 9.  Just dash normally, roll the input up to a 9 kinda casually, then let go of the stick and press 6 again.  While you can do this input really fast, you don't have to.  Taking it slow after the initial dash helps you reach the minimum airdash height anyway.

I have to test this after work and if this is all it takes I love you.  I've been pulling my hair out trying to get 66956 consistent and could only ever get it once or twice at the start of a training session and then never again.  I'd been wondering why the input display was ending on 9(5)6 but I was only getting a double jump (I have no problems with normal IAD timing), and this makes perfect sense.

It's utilizing the way hover dash is designed to work with note. As long as you don't return to neutral from the 6 that initiates the dash, you can slide up to 9, or 3 without stopping the dash. 956 still works for the airdash, so it's one input less you need to do after returning to neutral from the hoverdash.

I have to test this after work and if this is all it takes I love you.  I've been pulling my hair out trying to get 66956 consistent and could only ever get it once or twice at the start of a training session and then never again.  I'd been wondering why the input display was ending on 9(5)6 but I was only getting a double jump (I have no problems with normal IAD timing), and this makes perfect sense.

It's utilizing the way hover dash is designed to work with note. As long as you don't return to neutral from the 6 that initiates the dash, you can slide up to 9, or 3 without stopping the dash. 956 still works for the airdash, so it's one input less you need to do after returning to neutral from the hoverdash.

Yup that's all it took, I love you guys.  I went from <10% consistency on 66956 to >90% in like 10 minutes.  Something that really helped get the smooth motion down for 6 to 9 was to think about where my hand had to go instead of where the stick had to go (think about the motion, not the input); ironically this is exactly the same way I got the TK Fortissimo consistent for her final challenge combo but I never thought to apply this logic to the dj.IAD.  Before this I was doing 6(5)6(5)9(5)6 which doesn't work, now I'm doing a smooth 6(5)69(5)6 and it works every time unless I get impatient and mess up the timing.  Thanks again guys!