Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teyah

Millia vs Sol: The more things change...

Not much appears to have changed in this matchup since the XX days.  Some cliff notes:
  • Far 5S is your main ground poke as always.  It does wonders against Sol, beating the great majority of his ground normals and specials when done near max range.
  • 2D is your secondary poke, which will beat Sol's risky options to your 5S, like 2D and Fafnir.
  • Basically you want to be on the ground most of the time, in between maximum 2D and maximum 5S range.  If Sol runs in closer, either stand your ground with 5S, or backdash to get back to your optimal range.
  • Silent Force, which was always not so great against Sol, is even worse now that it travels slower, has a worse angle and is immediately disabled when Millia gets hit.  The chance of scoring a CH against Sol's amazingly fast anti air 5K is extremely low, so don't use it to beat AAs in this matchup.  You can use it early to force a block, then try to come in with a low airdash which has a better chance of not being reactionary AA'd.
  • Coming in from the air can be tricky, since if you end up in the air in Sol's 5K range, it will cleanly hit you out of every air normal save for maybe a max range j.P (which isn't exactly a great jump in).
  • If you throw Sol in the corner, you can combo far 5S xx 236S > j.KSD IADF j.SH (relaunch with Pin), so it's definitely worth going for throw occasionally once you've got Sol cornered.
  • End air combos with Secret Garden.  An easy setup for one is to end with IADF j.S into delayed j.H(2) xx 214S, 6H xx 214H.  Good patterns to use here are 1646 and 2828, depending on if you're closer or farther away, respectively.  Don't forget to tap down for a frame to pick up your pin before doing a mixup!
  • You can easily Blitz Shield the 2nd hit of Bandit Revolver on reaction, so watch for this if you're getting pressured hard.

If you watch enough videos on this matchup you'll see how important far 5S is for Millia to handle Sol's aggressive offense.  So here I'll break down some ways on how Sol can counter your 5S and what you can do to deal with these counters.

Sol can use his 6P to beat 5S if you're being way too predictable.  But if you didn't 5S and he uses 6P and whiffs, you get to run up and kill him on reaction.  So if they're using 6P, just start doing nothing on occasion and wait and punish.  Tthe risk/reward is still far in your favour.

Alternatively he can try to Fafnir, which can go through 5S if timed correctly, or get CH if not.  Millia's 2D should always beat Fafnir, so mix this in on occasion as well, as the reward for landing 2D is pretty high as well.

Another way Sol has to dealing with 5S is his amazing 2D, but even on CH at max range, he doesn't get much off of this unless he spends the bar to RC.  Millia's 2D shuts this down too, if Sol is looking to counterpoke with it outside of its range.

Now for some notes on Anti airs, which have changed a bit from previous games:

2H is a little nerfed against Sol, as his j.H seems to cut through it easier.  So you can't throw it out at the last second and get a trade / CH like you could before in the XX games - you need to do it a bit early now.  But it still works well enough.

6P is a good idea when Sol is right in front of you and not on top of your head, as it'll beat most attacks and beat or clash with j.H then beat it out for the 2nd hit.  If you happen to trigger Danger Time against j.H (which has potential for happening a lot actually), simply let the 2nd hit of 6P connect as it will beat out whatever Sol tries afterwards, VV notwithstanding.  Then go to 2H and carry him to the corner.

5P - Don't use this as a reactionary anti-air, it simply doesn't work this way anymore from my experience.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong though, if you can give examples.  Woshige likes to use this as an alternative to FD stop to stop his running, which saves tension and can score random hits at times.  He does take the occasional hit to the face for this though, but it's probably a good idea to try out.

Overall, I feel like this matchup has become tougher, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad matchup for Millia.  Looks like 5-5 at the moment but my opinion will probably change as I watch more of it and get more experience myself.

Can anyone give advice on the Millia vs Sol matchup? Like, what to do against certain moves. When to poke out. How to pressure. Any setups that work against dp, etc? I figure this matchup is going to be common, but I just have absolutely no idea how to approach it.

Can anyone give advice on the Millia vs Sol matchup? Like, what to do against certain moves. When to poke out. How to pressure. Any setups that work against dp, etc? I figure this matchup is going to be common, but I just have absolutely no idea how to approach it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns16EGTJhpo&list=UUyV9c57z3v5Ot5d4PklDxeA#t=1636 (Woshige vs. to-ru)

I would say just try to play Neutral as best as possible, not going jump crazy but definitely looking for the knockdown so that you can get in his face. 6P works on his flying kick (sorry, new to GG) careful of his 6H. 

Merged Sol-related posts from the main gameplay thread into this one.  And wrote up a quick summary.  Discuss the matchup here!

OK...it seems that the match up that i have more problems with is Mr. Sol Bad-dude

First problem is that this is my first GG ever, been playing it for about 2/3 weeks by now.

i know that there is a lot of things that might be not in my check list of how to approach a match up in this game, so the help from the pros is always highly apreciated.

so....from the data perspective....

Millia's faster normals are

5K-----5 frames startup

2P-----5 frames as well

Sol's faster normals are

5P-----4 frames

5k------3 frames

and a couple more that the start up is 5 frames

trying to approach the match up with the attitude of blocking the strings and punish after an unsafe move......well...it didnt as well as expected.

move.........................on block

gun flame__________-4

bandit revolver_____-5 DI ground +4

bandit bringer______ 0

Kudakero__________+2

Riot Stamp________+6

Fafnir_____________+4

well so everything he does puts him in frame advantage over Millia. Online free pressure by any random Sol is what i find usually.

Grand viper is invincible at startup, more or less and low profiles. So bye bye to some mixups....

Obviously, FD to push him away and find an opening, just defense certain moves to get some advantage on block and one blitz shield here and there...but for the most part i feel pretty helpless against this char.

I feel more confortable playing against Zato or El than Sol......

I guess im doing something very wrong, so if any of you can point it out for me i would be very grateful.

oh, one more thing........

HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

>:(

Don't get really hung up on frame data as a lot of moves are negative on block but are can be cancelled into other attacks. Also certain moves, while negative, can be considered safe if done from the right range. Millia's fS is -4, however properly spaced it is hard to punish. Again gunflame is actually pretty safe in most cases as it's done as a meaty and even in pressure it's pretty safe if sol has 25 meter to yrc it. 

Sol's pressure is pretty safe as long as he's in close, you can FD to get some breathing room. If you have 50 meter you can opt to counter assault, which is actually a good option for millia as it leads to 236H setups. 

In terms of 236H set ups that are safe against DP, you can try doing an IAD on his wakeup since that will cause his DP to whiff. 

i played one Sol today that was activating Dragon Install everytime he had meter....

millias half life went by getting hit by grand viper once, also i notice there is a loop in the corner that uses kudakero>JS (i think) and repeat..17 hit red combo and 70% of life bar said goodbye....

this is the first time i face a Sol that abuses DI so much.....most of the time he was recovering from it, or it was a max range or i was recovering from somehting so i barely got to punish him.

Read all the tips in here, staying neutral and a good use of 5S and 2D works miracles, but the problem i see is that Millia is always too close to loose half of her lifebar from one Sol's simple combo

i find this match up pretty hard TBH

Not much appears to have changed in this matchup since the XX days.  Some cliff notes:
  • Far 5S is your main ground poke as always.  It does wonders against Sol, beating the great majority of his ground normals and specials when done near max range.
  • 2D is your secondary poke, which will beat Sol's risky options to your 5S, like 2D and Fafnir.
  • Basically you want to be on the ground most of the time, in between maximum 2D and maximum 5S range.  If Sol runs in closer, either stand your ground with 5S, or backdash to get back to your optimal range.
  • Silent Force, which was always not so great against Sol, is even worse now that it travels slower, has a worse angle and is immediately disabled when Millia gets hit.  The chance of scoring a CH against Sol's amazingly fast anti air 5K is extremely low, so don't use it to beat AAs in this matchup.  You can use it early to force a block, then try to come in with a low airdash which has a better chance of not being reactionary AA'd.
  • Coming in from the air can be tricky, since if you end up in the air in Sol's 5K range, it will cleanly hit you out of every air normal save for maybe a max range j.P (which isn't exactly a great jump in).
  • If you throw Sol in the corner, you can combo far 5S xx 236S > j.KSD IADF j.SH (relaunch with Pin), so it's definitely worth going for throw occasionally once you've got Sol cornered.
  • End air combos with Secret Garden.  An easy setup for one is to end with IADF j.S into delayed j.H(2) xx 214S, 6H xx 214H.  Good patterns to use here are 1646 and 2828, depending on if you're closer or farther away, respectively.  Don't forget to tap down for a frame to pick up your pin before doing a mixup!
  • You can easily Blitz Shield the 2nd hit of Bandit Revolver on reaction, so watch for this if you're getting pressured hard.

If you watch enough videos on this matchup you'll see how important far 5S is for Millia to handle Sol's aggressive offense.  So here I'll break down some ways on how Sol can counter your 5S and what you can do to deal with these counters.

Sol can use his 6P to beat 5S if you're being way too predictable.  But if you didn't 5S and he uses 6P and whiffs, you get to run up and kill him on reaction.  So if they're using 6P, just start doing nothing on occasion and wait and punish.  Tthe risk/reward is still far in your favour.

Alternatively he can try to Fafnir, which can go through 5S if timed correctly, or get CH if not.  Millia's 2D should always beat Fafnir, so mix this in on occasion as well, as the reward for landing 2D is pretty high as well.

Another way Sol has to dealing with 5S is his amazing 2D, but even on CH at max range, he doesn't get much off of this unless he spends the bar to RC.  Millia's 2D shuts this down too, if Sol is looking to counterpoke with it outside of its range.

Now for some notes on Anti airs, which have changed a bit from previous games:

2H is a little nerfed against Sol, as his j.H seems to cut through it easier.  So you can't throw it out at the last second and get a trade / CH like you could before in the XX games - you need to do it a bit early now.  But it still works well enough.

6P is a good idea when Sol is right in front of you and not on top of your head, as it'll beat most attacks and beat or clash with j.H then beat it out for the 2nd hit.  If you happen to trigger Danger Time against j.H (which has potential for happening a lot actually), simply let the 2nd hit of 6P connect as it will beat out whatever Sol tries afterwards, VV notwithstanding.  Then go to 2H and carry him to the corner.

5P - Don't use this as a reactionary anti-air, it simply doesn't work this way anymore from my experience.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong though, if you can give examples.  Woshige likes to use this as an alternative to FD stop to stop his running, which saves tension and can score random hits at times.  He does take the occasional hit to the face for this though, but it's probably a good idea to try out.

Overall, I feel like this matchup has become tougher, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad matchup for Millia.  Looks like 5-5 at the moment but my opinion will probably change as I watch more of it and get more experience myself.

Really good stuff Teyah, sound advice all around. 

I do feel a little different in a few areas though...

- I feel pin still works really well in this matchup, I've gotten a lot mileage out of it vs every Sol I've played. No question it's not xx levels of broken but still works amazingly well in most matchups, even vs Sol.

- As far as BS vs bandit revolver I would recommend using 5p instead since its free and also gives you a full combo. 

- Secret Garden oki vs Sol is amazing, to add to this I recommend saving meter for H disc YRC, the YRC DESTROYS their reversal timing. Using these two options for oki can really neutralize his reversal game. 

- One more tip, do not let Sol put the fear in you (usually happens via his DP), if you are scared of Sol he jumps to S tier.