Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

Anyone else experience freezing and sometimes the "please wait" screen is just stuck forever?

Yes. On PS4 trying to join rooms in lobbies. Is extremely annoying.

Ahoy hoy.  While j.D FDC is a technique that benefits everyone (if you don't have a burst you can 4/6j.H+j.D to OS air throw with j.D and then FDC on the next frame to block), a character specific question like this is more suited to either the I-No Gameplay Discussion thread or the I-No Q&A thread.

Anyway, I-No can't FDC her j.D when it's been gatling'd into from another move, but she can do it when jump canceling into j.D or using it from Hover Dash.  So if you made someone block a note and went in on them with, say, j.K > j.S, and wanted to use another overhead without leaving the blockstun gap that j.D leaves, you could then dj.D > FDC > j.K.  This means that j.D FDC can't be used out of j.P, j.K, or j.H, but on the plus side if you dj.D FDC out of a regular j.D, the landing recovery from the first j.D (the one you didn't cancel) is also removed.

Now, the input is basically j.D > back + two buttons (4P+K for example).  However, you run the problem that the window to j.D FDC is extremely tight, and flubbing the input by 1-frame is enough to cause you to Burst.  An alternate method that's not as versatile but removes the issue with accidental bursting entirely is to hold two buttons ahead of time, so that the input becomes dj.D > 4.  It's more difficult as you have to learn to hide button inputs in other inputs (we Zato players now), and the window seems to be even tighter.  It also has the problem of needing to do specific things with the stick, so while the other method has you holding back (blocking) until you press the buttons, this method requires you be at neutral for a period before hitting back.  This makes strings like 'j.D FDC > low airdash' at neutral much more difficult.  Or... well... pretty much anything done from neutral, like oki crossup, becomes more difficult since you have to FD to hide the button presses without wasting a bunch of time, then go back to whatever you had planned to do.

So learn both methods.  This technique is way stronger if you don't have a Burst, but still plenty useable if you have one.

So... Has anybody in the US gotten their Limited Edition version yet?  The GS where I pre-ordered mine still has the LE listed as "in transit" even though they were supposed to get them in on the 23rd.

So... Has anybody in the US gotten their Limited Edition version yet?  The GS where I pre-ordered mine still has the LE listed as "in transit" even though they were supposed to get them in on the 23rd.

Mine arrived on the 22nd or 23rd, forget which exactly.

can i play against leo whitefang (maybe in arcade mode or online) if i don't buy the character?

Yes.

I have a few questions for people who own the game.

Are 1f jumps still in, in some form?  I know you don't get the verticle non smoke jump, but does it still have the post 1f protection?

What happens when both people throw at the same time? I don't seem to get the double H anymore.  

Is there anywhere I can find the RISC gauge depletion of moves?

Are 1f jumps still in, in some form?  I know you don't get the verticle non smoke jump, but does it still have the post 1f protection?

1 frame jump is somewhat of a misnomer (it actually reduces jump start-up by 1 frame, but the jump itself was only 1 frame back in vanilla XX, when most characters had 2 frame jumps), but yes, Faultless Defense jumps are still in the game, as far as I'm aware.

Is there anywhere I can find the RISC gauge depletion of moves?

It's all in the frame data. Just consult your character of choice's frame data page on Dustloop Wiki. Unfortunately, R.I.S.C. Level increase on block is currently unaccounted for.

I've also been unable to reproduce same throw double H. throws on same frame appears to be random.

And I haven't been able to determine if -1f jumps are still in. I've done some experiments with old -1f jump escapes and mostly get a standing FD. Not sure if I'm screwing up or if it's just not int he game any more.

One frame jumps don't reduce jump startup at all actually. Your characters hurtbox is smaller when air FDing. This property is still in.

One frame jumps don't reduce jump startup at all actually. Your characters hurtbox is smaller when air FDing. This property is still in.

:v:

I guess I'll retest my escapes when Johnny is back in the game then.

And we should stop calling them 1f jumps.

The netcode is really good (for delay based at least) now. Ranked is still full of bullshit lying bars, but playing people in my region gets me 1-2 frames at worst, and I get 5 frames at worst when playing people around the continent.

The netcode is really good (for delay based at least) now. Ranked is still full of bullshit lying bars, but playing people in my region gets me 1-2 frames at worst, and I get 5 frames at worst when playing people around the continent.

yup, whatever magic they did made the online better than sf4 is. somehow. even if its delay based.

They were certainly affecting the jump in a way differently than just jumping and fding as fast as possible, as noted by the lack of smoke and inability to move forwards and backwards.  Even the jump acceleration I believe was different.

speaking of jump changes, i highly suspect you can't attack on the 1st airborne frame anymore. so you are forced to fd jump and consume meter as opposed to, say, immediate j.P which also has the hurtbox-raising effect. rip bdc jump.

I have a great deal of respect for John Bain/Total Biscuit so I'm happy he loves the game.

I guess it doesn't matter too much and I know a lot of people despise him for his opinions but I believe he has impeccable taste, even when I don't agree with his opinions.

Also here's hoping he makes a full recovery since I guess he recently finished/is finishing his chemotherapy.

RC question: can you attack instantly out of RC? Based on videos it looks like things slow down but the cancelling character has an animation that takes a few frames to complete before they return to normal.

:v:

I guess I'll retest my escapes when Johnny is back in the game then.

And we should stop calling them 1f jumps.

This is why I just refer to it as just FD Jumping.

RC question: can you attack instantly out of RC? Based on videos it looks like things slow down but the cancelling character has an animation that takes a few frames to complete before they return to normal.

Yes, you can act instantly out of RC once the screen freeze ends.  There's no cooldown on any of the cancels.  The game pauses for the character to pose, but that animation occurs with the game stopped.

More information about cancels can be found on this wiki page.  Just scroll down to the Roman Cancel section.

Edited by TheRealBobMan

IIRC FD jump does cancel the very last frame of jump startup in previous games. There was in fact a detailed tutorial regarding it with frame-by-frame comparison. As far as whether or not it's still in Xrd, no way to tell without something similar. Air FD does typically seem to make your hitbox smaller, so it is likely still beneficial to use it.

Even getting off the ground with ground defense is helpful, but it's nice to know before I use the meter if I am saving a vulnerable frame.

Honestly it shouldn't be in the game though.

boy everything i found in the game people just giving it diff names. Soon shin akuma etc wont even be the same names anymore. And ya watching for the dust effect when you jump is very useful for many things to tell if you are doing it right. And thanks for the shoutout earlier destin.

As for the argument than it doesnt actually make you jump faster it just changes the hit box. Well the thing to remember in GG though(at least past games havnt tested it most in XRD)is there is a area when you are just above the ground that the game counts you as both in the air and on the ground anyway. Doesnt mtater if its the start of the jump or the end. Its why you can alpha counter in the air, ground throw jump attacks etc. Many many bugs are based off this property as a bases.