Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

I have to do this scheme on my fightstick:

K   S   HS

P   D   R

I can't do pinky dusts and don't like moving my ring finger, so I place D next to P so my thumb alternates between one and the other as necessary. 

I prefer not moving my fingers around as much as possible.
6 button fighters on the other hand, those I just slam my palm on all the buttons and see where my fingers go from there, which is all over the place.

To people who have been playing Xrd more seriously than I / people who have followed videos since the Japanese release: does this sort of thing happen often in danger time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXmR4Mu5Q-0

Because I don't quite know how to feel about it. On one hand, it's hilarious...on the other, shouldn't projectile freeze when danger times activates? Seems like an oversight. Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse, because I honestly didn't follow the game at all until the console release.

You can cancel DT startup into FD, so that Zato player had no excuse for getting hit.

I'm not saying DT isn't dumb, but there are parts of it that people don't realize. You can only get DT once per round, you can cancel it into FD, the buffer window starts at "1", etc.

there is no limit on how many times you get danger time, it happened back to back with a gap of about 5 seconds one round for me 

Small vent time.

I know no one cares about Challenge mode combos, but they seem to have a dumb habit of not telling you when you're supposed to dash in-between moves in order to keep a combo going. The funny thing is, they require the dash input sometimes for challenges (like Sol's #37 iirc [and I'm not 100% convinced the first dash is necessary]), but then 9 times out of 10, they just don't tell you (like Chipp's #23 and #30, for instance).

You can just watch the sample to see where it supposed to happen if they left it out and it's not working for you, but...why wouldn't they just tell you if it's not going to work otherwise? They clearly have the capability. I don't understand why it's not universally applied.

there is no limit on how many times you get danger time, it happened back to back with a gap of about 5 seconds one round for me 

That's odd. We've had rounds where we intentionally tried to trigger it, and still wouldn't get it after clashing 2P for like 30 straight seconds.

I find the default button configuration works great on Hori layouts. It's something like this:

P   S     D

K   HS   R

The arcade layout feels strange to me.

ugh this is why I have to redo my controls every time someone else plays on my console.  Why are asw games the only games people just refuse to learn the default layout on?

K S H

P    D

rainbow, from weakest to strongest.  plus the added bonus of having sweep in the same place as street fighter.  I've never seen somebody have a fucked up layout on sf, incidentally.  Hang on guys, gotta bind my custom layout that makes so much more sense to me:

P2 K2 K1

P3 K3 P1

ugh this is why I have to redo my controls every time someone else plays on my console. Why are asw games the only games people just refuse to learn the default layout on?

Because the default layout is unstreetfighterish in many ways... While being streetfighterish in some ways. It makes for alot of musclememory overlap when playing different games so i imagine some people like to completely depart from streetfighter controls so the muscle memory doesnt overlap as much.

Me personally ive got it as streetfighter as possible:

P S H

K....D

arcade layout with P and K switched. For me its obvious:

P is a jab and its where jab is on streetfighter.

K is a short and its where short is on streetfighter

S is a strong and its where a strong is on streetfighter

H is a fierce and its where a fierce is on streetfighter (and its also the throw button like oldschool streetfighter games)

D is a roundhouse and its where the roundhouse is on streetfighter (and is the sweep button like in streetfighter)

So all in all with that setup all i have to remember is that standing roundhouse is a slow overhead, and there is no forward kick (medium kick)

Once i changed my buttons to that layout everything was good.

It's 100 Yen a pop, IIRC. I've got an HK version, as well, and luckily, I still had around 700 Yen in my wallet since buying BB DLC.

How much is full color pack?

My classical layout was this

D S H

-  P K

because it was closest to the orientation of a Playstation pad (I first played GG on the PSone). When I played X2#Reload on PC I used that configuration on a keyboard and I kept playing that as I had no PS2 and my PS3 was broken when AC was released on PSN (apart from the few times I could play X2 SLASH and AC at arcades.

Now I have Xrd and a HRAPV4 and I'm drilling myself to learn the arcade layout. I think it might be worth it in the long run.

ugh this is why I have to redo my controls every time someone else plays on my console.  Why are asw games the only games people just refuse to learn the default layout on?

K S H

P    D

rainbow, from weakest to strongest.  plus the added bonus of having sweep in the same place as street fighter.  I've never seen somebody have a fucked up layout on sf, incidentally.  Hang on guys, gotta bind my custom layout that makes so much more sense to me:

P2 K2 K1

P3 K3 P1

I play Persona 4 Arena using the default layout; when I play SNK games, I reassign the buttons to the classic rainbow layout. The reality is that I'm used to these layouts. I've never played Guilty Gear on a cabinet and I doubt I ever will so there's no real reason to change my buttons from the game default. In fact, there's an advantage to using the default layout if I'm in a tournament setting. I also don't like having a dead button in the center of my panel. I'm the kind of player who removes extra buttons from my stick to avoid the clutter so, at most, my sticks have 6 buttons.

I'm actually preferring BB pad default on stick right now - just feels right so far. I haven't played "rainbow" enough in other games to get it down.

P K D

HS S

You can cancel DT startup into FD, so that Zato player had no excuse for getting hit.

I'm not saying DT isn't dumb, but there are parts of it that people don't realize. You can only get DT once per round, you can cancel it into FD, the buffer window starts at "1", etc.

Boo! So it wasn't as stupid as I thought. Oh well, I just really found the sight of the beach ball slowly approaching amusing.

Online play in this game has been frustrating for me, because obviously I'm not going to be good at a game I just picked up, but I can't tell you how many matches I've had down to the wire, only to win by chip damage and see that the opponent has full meter. It's like, YAY I barely won...he doesn't even know how to FD!? I'm THAT BAD that I barely won against someone who doesn't know how to FD? 

[edit] although this particular guy probably did know how to FD and just didn't know he could've done it there, I've beaten people buy doing raw super right in their face forgetting it's not street fighter, or full screen projectiles...

Yea need that taunt button. How else are you supposed to Rakusyo?

My ass has that old gg stick that came out 15 years ago, with the taunt button off to the side.

(I did drill a new hole for a 6th button.)

I'm actually preferring BB pad default on stick right now - just feels right so far. I haven't played "rainbow" enough in other games to get it down.

P K D

HS S

My layout is the same for you on stick but my D and S are switched

so mine is

P K S

HS R D

It's a lot easier for me to RC with this layout, since I use type-b style for BB

I make a point of always using the default stick layout for any fighting game with an arcade standard, macros not withstanding. (KOF is a grey area, as official cabinets have used both a horizontal line of buttons and a Tekken-esque square from time to time; and Mortal Kombat's classical X-shaped layout is impossible to duplicate on a standard stick.) GGXX's layout did not feel natural to me at first, but I stuck with it and adapted.

So who wants to take early bets on which characters will be made playable for the next iteration of Xrd, assuming they don't pull a Blazblue and make an "Extend" edition first? My predictions:

-Johnny (all but confirmed by inclusion in story mode)

-Dizzy (see above)
-Dr. Paradigm (see above)

-Jam (another popular veteran cast member with sex appeal, like Dizzy)

-Robo-Ky (can re-use Ky's model with modifications, and his appearance won't conflict with the story like Order Sol)

-Raven (already made playable appearance in Overture, long-requested character)

-1 completely new character

I wouldn't advise anyone to hold their breath for Bridget. I think he's gonna be their trump card they pull out for Xrd's final iteration, to boost hype levels back up after they've waned substantially. I'm sure this is how Mori has been treating Jubei.

What Vastedge designs do you think will make it to Xrd? May, Chipp and Millia have more or less followed the Vastedge concepts. Story mode Dizzy looks like the Vastedge Dizzy as well.

So who wants to take early bets on which characters will be made playable for the next iteration of Xrd, assuming they don't pull a Blazblue and make an "Extend" edition first? 

Zappa, but only because I really want it... And mainly because I really want to see what Raoh looks like in Xrd.