Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

On one hand, awesome that more people will pick it now. But on the other, I have this terrible feeling that the game bombed hard everywhere. :(

Its sales are the best since any version of X2. Considering that game was kept alive for about 8 or so years, I think we're safe for another 8. It's good to have a flash sale like this since it's such a niche game and has a reputation for being difficult. A lower price point may make it easier for people to swallow. It's the community that keeps the game alive ultimately, so new players = growing community = more people to "TEYAH!" on.

On one hand, awesome that more people will pick it now. But on the other, I have this terrible feeling that the game bombed hard everywhere. :(

Pretty obvious why though:

Missing too many iconic characters that a lot of veterans play with exclusively.

That's like a Street Fighter game being put out without Guile, Dhalsim, E.Honda, Sagat, M. Bison, and Akuma.

Do you remember the time when Street Fighter 3 first came out? It wasn't pretty.

You don't hold favorites for hostage.

You keep making NEW characters instead.

You reap what you sow.

PS3 is $20 and PS4 is $24 on PSN flash sale for GG Xrd at the time of this posting. If you have friends who wanted to buy the game, now's the time to tell them to step on it! 

I figured this counts as news so I posted it here.

Just got myself Xrd. Thank you for notifying me of this chance!

Missing too many iconic characters that a lot of veterans play with exclusively.

That's like a Street Fighter game being put out without Guile, Dhalsim, E.Honda, Sagat, M. Bison, and Akuma.

Do you remember the time when Street Fighter 3 first came out? It wasn't pretty.

You reap what you sow.

They're not holding them for hostage, they're under development. It's important to understand that this game is developed using the Unreal 3 engine. Modelling, skinning, texturing, bump/displacement/vector mapping, rigging, weight mapping, dynamics (such as Millia's glorious hair or pieces of clothing), REDOING EVERYTHING WHEN YOU DISCOVER SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE CHANGED UGH, animating, effects, lighting, and scripting take more time and cost more money to make compared to a 2D game which is drawing, key-framing, inbetweening, cleanup and coloring. Since it's a fighting game, they have to get these perfect, frame by frame. It has to be optimized, it has to be as bug free as possible. By releasing Leo and Elphelt as DLC characters, it helps bring in extra funding for what is essentially a high-budget niche game. 

As to the point of which characters were chosen, a popularity contest was held to determine which characters were going to make the cut. The developers also made choices independent of the poll due to the importance of certain story characters and elements. Then they gave us a handful of NEW characters to keep things fresh. Yes, there is a favorite character or two people are going to miss; it sucks, but with the wealth of new changes and plenty of new characters to experiment (or oldies to give a shot), I'm sure you'll find something.

Please don't complain about the industry if you don't understand how it truly works in the background. Really, please no. 

You reap what you sow.

You can't really compare this to SF3, that literally only had 2 returning characters. Of the 17 characters in this game, 12 of them are returning characters, that triple the number of returning characters in the 3rd edition of SF3. The situations aren't even slightly similar. I'm sure the game is doing fine, GG has always been a niche title so it selling less than persona arena doesn't really mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Others have already said most of what I was going to say in response to that post, but I'll just add that Street Fighter 3 having only two returning vets was only one of several reasons that game initially failed to gain traction—and not even the biggest reason.

Xrd is doing quite well in North America given how abysmally it was marketed over here.  Between the lack of advertising, the delayed release of the Limited Edition, and the fact that you had to pray for a miracle from God to even find a copy of the game in stores before Christmas, I'd say it did better than anyone could have reasonably expected.

so Ram gets to keep those mid-screen 15 sec meterless combos and no more Rense > YRC for Axl?!  this feedback...

A lot of people play Ram, not so much Axl. That is what a lot of balancing boils down to.

Potemkin now got a new loop thinks to the Trishula buff.

Any juggle into 6K Trishula 6K Trishula in the corner.

Oh shit really? I like the sound of this.

From what I'm hearing, that might be its only use right now. FAB is apparently saying that it's still not that good overall, as it's hard to follow up if it hits an opponent who's too low and it doesn't give knockdown, so he thinks it's not that useful unless it's against a character Potemkin can fight well enough at neutral.

From what I'm hearing, that might be its only use right now. FAB is apparently saying that it's still not that good overall, as it's hard to follow up if it hits an opponent who's too low and it doesn't give knockdown, so he thinks it's not that useful unless it's against a character Potemkin can fight well enough at neutral.

I have been in the location test most of the day and i didn't see him until i reached Mikado.

*sigh*.... what was their gameplan when they introduced that move? Because I'm getting the feeling they have no idea what the move is supposed to add to potemkins arsenal.

*sigh*.... what was their gameplan when they introduced that move? Because I'm getting the feeling they have no idea what the move is supposed to add to potemkins arsenal.

More vertical space control and a DP of sorts. Potemkin used to be good at maintaining momentum. He's not so good under pressure though. Potemkin is in that awkward spot where they're trying to balance him without him blowing up. Anime grappler + cancellable whiff attacks can potentially be true terror.

Since I'm kinda fresh into GG, maybe I'm wrong, but this is still a first iteration in a new GG series under new system mechanics. I'm not surprised its taking a bit of figuring out how to make Potemkin work well without making him... at the very least, infuriatingly frustrating.

Has anyone confirmed whether 1.0 will be played at EVO?

It's possible, but difficult to say at this point.  Hell, they haven't even finished the lokes yet.

Random thought about "fixing" Danger Time:

What if DT no longer occurred randomly, but could be triggered by pressing the RC command on the instant of a clash for 50% Tension? The person who triggered it would get a slight frame advantage, though it could still be turned against them.

Random thought about "fixing" Danger Time:

What if DT no longer occurred randomly, but could be triggered by pressing the RC command on the instant of a clash for 50% Tension? The person who triggered it would get a slight frame advantage, though it could still be turned against them.

Or they can get rid of it completely and put it in P4U where it belongs. An idea I suggested once to someone was to make it a toggled option so if you want to derp around with it in casuals you can, and not have it ruin high level tournament play. It's awful watching rounds get stolen because of RNG.

Has anyone confirmed whether 1.0 will be played at EVO?

Well unless consoles get the arcade update (which isn't even finished yet), 1.0 will be the only version that we can play at evo.