Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

Long story short, could you guys give me your definition(s) of "high level play" and what it means to "outplay someone"? I know the two terms aren't mutually exclusive, but I would like to see a concrete definition to show him. And it would be an interesting discussion since these terms we use a lot in these games without truly defining what they mean :)

High level play is a match between players who are able to capitalize on opportunities and maximize damage.

Outplaying someone is when you capitalize on opportunities and maximize damage more frequently and reliably than your opponent.

sl2nab.jpg

Good posts, so then how does someone deal with high level play, knowing that your opponent is looking to maximize the smallest mistake oriented decision you make.

And how should someone see themselves as being outplayed by another player? Personally, I can tell objectively when I am being outplayed by my opponent and know they are simply better than me and it's not a fact of me being a bad player, but they are just a more experienced player who is better at making all the right decisions. Simply put, I make more bad decisions than them, so they have more to capitalize on, so I need to keep playing at this level to make less mistakes. By me making less mistakes I'll have, at least in theory, more opportunities to capitalize on their mistakes.

Thoughts? How should someone see themselves as being outplayed at high level competition?

dat lk vs spark... OMG, i will never forget that match xddd i enjoyed the sg(nakkiel) vs spark on last saturday slugfest because of that,.. nakkiel really had the balls and mental strenght to make it 

Whew, just had my first online matches today. Some dude came in my lobby, handed my ass to me with Axl for a couple matches. Asked if I was new, then started using random characters, he still knew what he was doing but I did manage to win a few rounds at least. Progress.

Oh wow. What an enlightening story.

For future reference, the xrd match finder and gg thread is where you should document said progress.

Maybe they will make an announcement regarding new chars then...fingers crossed ladies n gents

Fingers, toes, hell even my eyes are crossed

Unless they want to do a Xrd Extend on consoles (and I don't think Team Red rolls that way), there won't be any new characters announced until the successor to Xrd is revealed.

Unless they want to do a Xrd Extend on consoles (and I don't think Team Red rolls that way), there won't be any new characters announced until the successor to Xrd is revealed.

Team Red will roll whatever way their bosses want them to, and if they feel the Extend route is best, that's what they'll tell them to do. And it's doubtful they won't unless CPE fails and they actually have to come up with something else.

I'm ok w buying an extend hell sf did it w 4 how many times now. Either way is coo w me lol

Super Street Fighter 4 doubled the content from vanilla, and everything else has been available as DLC.

Arcsys would make you pay full price for the disc and have 15 dollars in DLC characters anyway :v:

Um.... CPE is just console CP2, so it's the successor anyway

I think by "successor," TAI-X means the next game, not another update.

People are hungry for the Johnny and Dizzy DLC lol.

They really should've just been released before 1.1, but ASW is apparently getting too comfortable with this kind of release style.

If it's an arcsys game with new chars which were not made to be out near the initial release, it's way more likely that they will be included in a future physical release than sf4-style patches/dlc. People need to accept this reality already. It being a bad or a good thing is besides the point, it is what it is. Also, remember that team red made +R a whole new physical release for the vita and it didn't even have online, lol. They're no saints.

Super Street Fighter 4 doubled the content from vanilla, and everything else has been available as DLC.

Arcsys would make you pay full price for the disc and have 15 dollars in DLC characters anyway :v:

It doubled the content by mostly bringing back chars they had cut out so the work in coming up with a concept and a style and a moveset was already done and a re-used asset. BB was making up new chars and whole visual novels worth of story and all that stuff counts as "content" too, it's just a different sort of content.

I personally value new char creation much more than 3d-izing old already-established chars. Even if it's like how it was in CS1 where you got fewer, original chars than more, old chars with a new look. Quality over quantity. This is why I like how Xrd made a concentrated effort to bring in new characters and ideas rather than relying on their old fame too much despite that being the safe option that everyone would be happier with. It's the brave option and thanks to it a lot of people tried and ended up liking new chars that maybe they wouldn't have if their mains of 10 years had been in. (and I say this while being someone whose main is not in Xrd)

Also, remember that team red made +R a whole new physical release for the vita and it didn't even have online, lol. They're no saints.

Just a quick correction, +R wasn't Team Red. It was Yamanaka and, like, one or two other people. They're only select members of what turned out to be Team Red.

I personally value new char creation much more than 3d-izing old already-established chars. Even if it's like how it was in CS1 where you got fewer, original chars than more, old chars with a new look. Quality over quantity. This is why I like how Xrd made a concentrated effort to bring in new characters and ideas rather than relying on their old fame too much despite that being the safe option that everyone would be happier with. It's the brave option and thanks to it a lot of people tried and ended up liking new chars that maybe they wouldn't have if their mains of 10 years had been in. (and I say this while being someone whose main is not in Xrd)

The CS1 comparison is rather poor, considering it was the second game in the series, which didn't lack anyone from its predecessor's roster and didn't undergo a complete visual overhaul. You're also forgetting that it was explicitly said that story roles played a part in who got chosen for the roster, and that it takes a while (four months total, according to the 3D lead) just to make one character for the game.

Furthermore, Satou and Ruu confirmed at NEC that there are indeed players who haven't been playing the game precisely because it doesn't feature their mains and no one in the current roster appeals to them. And then they just decide to do an update only four months after the console release to add new characters instead of at least bringing back the two they've essentially teased us with beforehand? I'm sorry, but that reeks of being a short-sighted decision that was made because of comfort with their release schedule rather than that they put much thought into it.

It's kinda annoying seeing people comparing BB and P4U which are being done by the same director and team.

To GG which is being done by different people!