Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

I'd have to see those matches. TBH, Xrd Ky's j.S alone makes me want to toss the whole character in the trash bin. 

-Kimosabae

I guess I just don't feel either players really dominate competition like when machabo is playing Ky, there are many moments when machabo would OCV teams in AC/ACR (more so AC) which had crazy strong players like teresa and sanma. I often don't see that being the case with those two, I wouldn't call them weak by any means.

Maybe it's just me on that issue.

It's pretty to OCV in AC when you're playing Testament, yeah.

Snarky quips aside, the reason you're not seeing Ky run through people in five seconds flat is because his offense is built around pressure. He makes you block so he can train you to think he'll only do certain things and then catch you with something that breaks the pattern or trap you with a false opening. He's not about throwing a flurry of instant overheads mixed with fake overheads that can sometimes become real overheads mixed with ambiguous crossup mixed with fake crossup mixed with low-invul overheads that are +3 on block mixed with some ridiculous frametraps because the hell not? Nor does he have a command throw backed up by an antiair hitting at the same time so no matter what, you're getting hit by an unblockable on your next wakeup. Nor does he have ways to capitalise on the madness that is wallslam -> restand jank in Xrd.

Or for AC and +R reasons, he doesn't have 15 unblockable setups for every occasion, a 2f zoning tool that starts combos, a fullscreen high/low game or a dog.

Ky's a good character, but he's one who relies on solid decision making and conditioning the player. It gets you wins, but requires more work than grinding out a bag of tricks that will guarantee you meet your KPIs for the week. And that's why Machaboo always switches away from Ky - he prefers the higher chance of a win regardless of what the opponent does over taking the risk that the player won't get conditioned the way you want them to.

Since there doesn't seem to be a bug or glitch thread for GGXrd, I thought I'd report this:

Apparently in GGXrd if you use Potemkin's Instant Kill on Sol during "Dragon Installed state", Sol's head will be missing!!!

It's pretty to OCV in AC when you're playing Testament, yeah.

Snarky quips aside, the reason you're not seeing Ky run through people in five seconds flat is because his offense is built around pressure. He makes you block so he can train you to think he'll only do certain things and then catch you with something that breaks the pattern or trap you with a false opening. He's not about throwing a flurry of instant overheads mixed with fake overheads that can sometimes become real overheads mixed with ambiguous crossup mixed with fake crossup mixed with low-invul overheads that are +3 on block mixed with some ridiculous frametraps because the hell not? Nor does he have a command throw backed up by an antiair hitting at the same time so no matter what, you're getting hit by an unblockable on your next wakeup. Nor does he have ways to capitalise on the madness that is wallslam -> restand jank in Xrd.

Or for AC and +R reasons, he doesn't have 15 unblockable setups for every occasion, a 2f zoning tool that starts combos, a fullscreen high/low game or a dog.

Ky's a good character, but he's one who relies on solid decision making and conditioning the player. It gets you wins, but requires more work than grinding out a bag of tricks that will guarantee you meet your KPIs for the week. And that's why Machaboo always switches away from Ky - he prefers the higher chance of a win regardless of what the opponent does over taking the risk that the player won't get conditioned the way you want them to.

So then why does he eventually go back to Ky in every version of GG thus far? He also seems to get amazing results with Ky on top of that.

I also acknowledge Ky's weaknesses as a character as well. I think this si why they're had such a hard time balancing him in the past, and this being one of his better versions without being braindead. Reminds me of how they have such a hard time balancing Hakumen as well, but that's a bit off topic. I feel like Ky's design, essentially a street fighter character who was given better damage and ex fireballs, does not belong in the build and design of GG as a fighting game. So they have a hard time giving him the right tools he needs to deal with the more wackier options other characters have.

And I feel like this bleeds into what you said about why people don't really play Ky at high level. I mean if anything his major buffs are street fighter-esk buffs lol, ex fireballs, that says a lot in my opinion.

Ky is the bread to his butter, the peanut butter to his jelly, the ham to his cheese, the cup to his water, the pen to his paper, the

Since there doesn't seem to be a bug or glitch thread for GGXrd, I thought I'd report this:

Apparently in GGXrd if you use Potemkin's Instant Kill on Sol during "Dragon Installed state", Sol's head will be missing!!!

o-oh... Is there a vid of this happening? Sounds a bit morbid that he would be missing an entire head.

Where is there recent footage of Mach using Ky in Xrd? The only time I've seen him use Ky in this game is during an online session streamed back in December. 

Let's avoid basing our opinions of the Japanese scene on the limited amount of footage we have available. Just because we don't get to personally see Ky players beasting doesn't mean that they aren't.

This is probably the strongest Ky's been since Slash. He's just not the type of character that can dominate out of nowhere like say, Millia. Being dominant with Ky is as much knowing the other player as it is knowing the game, IMO.

Let's avoid basing our opinions of the Japanese scene on the limited amount of footage we have available. Just because we don't get to personally see Ky players beasting doesn't mean that they aren't.

This is probably the strongest Ky's been since Slash. He's just not the type of character that can dominate out of nowhere like say, Millia. Being dominant with Ky is as much knowing the other player as it is knowing the game, IMO.

Not forgetting that he got buffed in 1.1 although he was already good in 1.0!

o-oh... Is there a vid of this happening? Sounds a bit morbid that he would be missing an entire head.

Sorry but I only just recently discovered it.  Try it for yourself and you'll see what I mean.  I'm going to try IK'ing D.I. Sol in different IKs to see if anything else is missing later.

Yes, I've realized I've gone for mains that only excel so long as you, yourself are a skilled player. Ky himself isn't a very dominating character, he doesn't have dominating tools, hence why it's been hard to balance him and give him the proper tools to match up with wacky tools, like a character summoning a second character to attack you, or teleporting and doing 50% off one CH.

Not forgetting that he got buffed in 1.1 although he was already good in 1.0!

He's good in 1.0 so long as the opponent isn't using vanilla Valentines, Zato1, Millia, Venom, and Sol lol.

I think he's speaking mostly from the matchup perspective.

I mean, I still find Sol-Ky to be pretty tough at times. I don't think it's the end of the world. May not be 100% even anymore, but I don't think it's any worse than 5.5-4.5 in Sol's favor.

Okay, just checked... aside from the "Headless DI Sol" for Potemkin's IK here's some other things I noticed...

Sol has no "DI Ball" and uses the normal "Sol Ball" state in Venom's Giga Machina.

In Zato's IK, if Sol is in Dragon Install state, his "shadow" is still in its 'normal' state too.

He's good in 1.0 so long as the opponent isn't using vanilla Valentines, Zato1, Millia, Venom, and Sol lol.

Lol Wut ?

Karinchou said that Ky is one of Rams worst match ups!

Beside Ky does pretty well in all of these match ups!

Especially Zato and Venom because they don't have any reversals.

I guess you really need to work on your Ky!

I really want to know why the Ram V. Ky matchup is one of her worst because when I have heard Kys talk about it, it's pretty sadlife.

We are talking about 1.0 right?

What on God's green earth could possibly make that matchup anything remotely resembling good for Ky?!

Lol Wut ?

Beside Ky does pretty well in all of these match ups!

Especially Zato and Venom because they don't have any reversals.

I guess you really need to work on your Ky!

Venom does a better job at screen control than Ky, forcing him to blitz him. This is something Ky isn't designed to do, as stated before, Ky doesn't have wacky tools to open people up. It's always been a pretty uphill matchup for him in GG.

Zato-1 can capitalize off neutral more as he can trap Ky in block strings and ruin him very quickly, Ky's reversal is almost piss poor in terms of getting out of pressure.

^Reversals or not have nothing to do with how well Ky does against another character or not. Dizzy has no reversals, yet she is a bad matchup for Ky in both AC and ACR. Same applies to Justice in ACR, according to other players, I personally haven't played a strong Justice yet so I can't say.

Ram has all the right tools to shut Ky down, I honestly don't know what Karinchu is talking about, when I've heard Japanese Ky players just gave up on the matchup. Summon Swords>Stun edge/CSE/Durandal Call, 623p blows up a lot of Ky's specials on instant block no matter how well they're spaced, swords virtually lock Ky down once on knockdown and leave him blocking for the rest of the round (again, due to having piss poor reversal options)

^I'm sure there's more to it than that as to why this matchup is ass, but it's far from even. Ky has virtually no neutral game against her own clearly superior neutral game. He's forced to rush her down and has no options or ways of playing negative and allowing her to hang herself.

We are talking about 1.0 right?

What on God's green earth could possibly make that matchup anything remotely resembling good for Ky?!

Just double checked!

actually it was the other way around and Ain is the one who said that.

Still the match is definitely winnable even if your opponent is better than you.

https://youtu.be/xOOJPOkNdsg

Of course, I would also possibly argue that SE YRC makes it much easier for Ky to initiate offense in Xrd, which may mitigate some of the neutral troubles he would face in other games.

Just double checked!

actually it was the other way around and Ain is the one who said that.

Still the match is definitely winnable even if your opponent is better than you.

https://youtu.be/xOOJPOkNdsg

Of course Ky can win. In a 3-7 matchup, you are still expected to win about three times out of ten. Getting one chance per round means sometimes you win off that one chance.

Ain saying that it's つらいつらい and worse than the +R Justice matchup and abandoning Ky for Leo speaks volumes about how rough that matchup is though.

As for myself, I would rather encounter a high level Faust or to some extent, even a high level Elphelt than a high level Ram in tourney.

The Sol/Venom/Zato matchups are not remotely as bad.