Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

"KULA DIAMOND CONFIRMED FOR XRD"

"That's just another costume for Johnny, obviously."

are also retweeted.

you really think it's a sock puppet holding character that is secretly kula diamond who is secretly angelia avallone who is secretly johnny in an alt costume?

are also retweeted.

you really think it's a sock puppet holding character that is secretly kula diamond who is secretly angelia avallone who is secretly johnny in an alt costume?

Still makes more sense than Bedman.

are also retweeted.

uhoh, didn't actually consider the ridiculous non-image retweets...

But i bet on the sock-puppet sleep-related (like in related by blood?) character anyway, can't turn that back now ^_^"

are also retweeted.

plausible

Ishiwatari just spoke during the ArcLive that Johnny's model from Story Mode couldn't simply be turned into playable character, but they had to pretty much re-create that model from a scratch in order to make him playable for Revelator. So, it has pretty much taken half a year to create Johnny...

Also, balance isn't apparently changing much because people have really loved 1.10 balance.

So I guess that means that a character having a model doesn't automatically confirm them playable after all.

RIP Dr. Paradigm .

It probably should be mentioned, when Ishiwatari was asked what "Revelator" means, he avoided the question and just said the change in name is for story reasons (I KNEW IT).

And apparently Mori thinks it's a "sugoi chuuni" sounding name, that being brought up by Pachi caused Ishiwatari to talk about Mori having an amazing naming sense and that "Chronophantasma" is a really cool name.

This was all before he made the statement about Johnny being a completely new model and not the one used in story mode.

Damn, really? I wonder why that is? Is it to do with the rig? Or how the textures worked? With this new revelation, it seems more likely that Johnny and Mystery Silhouette Waifu are the only 2 additional characters we're gonna get.

Anyway, glad to hear that 1.1 is proving popular enough that they're not changing too much balance-wise.

And that reasoning for the name change means that I'm most certainly looking forward to more Story Mode chapters.

Looking at story mode models, there's not much of this "imperfect bones moving" that was mentioned in the artstyle talk. Story mode models are, for the most part, static. Even when action happens, it's noticeably less dynamic than actual gameplay (it actually looks 3D for the most part). I guess that they have to rework the rig for Johnny to include more movable points, to create this "real 2D sprite" feel. Also, considering all animations are 100% handmade key frames, this is a lot of work even if the model would be ready.

I'm glad 1.1 stays (for the most part). It gets my hopes up for Johnny and the new character potentially being just a DLC addon released quite soon after arcades. Better not get to excited though...

Some minor balance tweaking I don't mind, but I'm overjoyed they're not taking the Team Blue approach and randomly changing a whole bunch of stuff for no reason other than to make the game different for the sake of it being different.

I'm just hoping it's a dlc update. If we gotta pay for the chars, whatever not a big deal. But if they are putting 4 to 6 new chars (which would be nice) it's def gonna be a new disc (sf iv did it 5xs lol). So my eyes depending on what they are doing they will prolly have more announcements if it's a new disc based update. Look how they did xrd at 1st.

So I guess that means that a character having a model doesn't automatically confirm them playable after all.

RIP Dr. Paradigm .

Them having the story mode models never meant anything, since a lot of work has to be done with gameplay design even if the model is usable, and it never was. However, them being featured in the story mode does mean that they're currently more important than, say, Zappa or Anji, so they have better chances of becoming playable simply thanks to that.

Looking at story mode models, there's not much of this "imperfect bones moving" that was mentioned in the artstyle talk. Story mode models are, for the most part, static. Even when action happens, it's noticeably less dynamic than actual gameplay (it actually looks 3D for the most part). I guess that they have to rework the rig for Johnny to include more movable points, to create this "real 2D sprite" feel. Also, considering all animations are 100% handmade key frames, this is a lot of work even if the model would be ready.

I'm glad 1.1 stays (for the most part). It gets my hopes up for Johnny and the new character potentially being just a DLC addon released quite soon after arcades. Better not get to excited though...

A lot of Johnny's model looks geometrically identical to the story mode one, except for the higher definition face and some decals here and there, so I'm thinking you're right about the rig. UE3 doesn't support bone scaling, so it's a real pain to create deformation "helpers" (these scale parts of the model in X, Y and Z space) on top of the regular bones (which govern rotation and position) manually. It's a lot more complex technically, but I really don't feel like digging up the 3D models and reverse engineering them again.  :v:

Plus Johnny has words written on his belt now so he's officially an Xrd character

I thought "By Your Side" and "The Midnight Carnival" were pretty cool subtitles. Sign and Revelator are just kinda.... japanese....

I thought "By Your Side" and "The Midnight Carnival" were pretty cool subtitles. Sign and Revelator are just kinda.... japanese....

Revelator's actually a rather obscure word that means "one who reveals, especially one who reveals the will of God". I think it's actually pretty cool. With regards to Sign, I agree with you.

There's also a few songs out there that have "Revelator" as part of title or as the whole title.