Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

Seriously. In this game, just as in nearly everything, being good doesn't immediately make you successful. We all know the stories of less skilled players beating better opponents. Haven't you ever seen Marvel in action?

Daigo's always been good enough to win. Not top level, just functional. 

It really depends on the format. The GG gods are pretty consistent even in a one-game each 3v3 format, when you put them in a double elimination tournament with best of five finals, it'll be way tougher. Especially since Guilty Gear has a large emphasis on setups and tricky pressure, it's going to take much more than just fundamentals to take down a GG god.

The way I see it, the more talk there is of these celebrity players "representing" Guilty Gear, the better.

Maybe it'll get some Street Fighter Mainstreamers to notice us more.

I dont expect anyone to care at all what daigo does in the video. If Machaboo is coaching, the level of gameplay is usually top notch (i'm assuming machaboo is actually playing and showing the stuff).

The way I see it, the more talk there is of these celebrity players "representing" Guilty Gear, the better.

Maybe it'll get some Street Fighter Mainstreamers to notice us more.

Well it's got a decent number of entrants at evo and I feel like it's only getting more popular. Especially if top 8 is at awesome as CEO.

I should've been more specific with my quote. What I'm responding to here is 

and nothing more. That said, what you said about the exposure it gives Xrd is absolutely right and it will make more people look at the game, which is a huge boon. I'm just pointing out that Daigo hasn't played this game in over 10 years, he has a LOT of catching up to do to get on the same level as the GG gods.

I agree with you on that part, I just hope that Capcom fans or casual players won't see Daigo get destroyed and instantly get a bad impression of the game or something.  Even though he played a lot of Vampire Savior, it's no secret that he doesn't perform nearly as well at chaotic games like GG compared to SF and such.  We all remember what happened when he tried to play Marvel 3.

Well it's got a decent number of entrants at evo and I feel like it's only getting more popular. 

How do I get my local scene to stop saying the game looks fucking sick and to actually play THE GOD DAMN GAME

How do I get my local scene to stop saying the game looks fucking sick and to actually play THE GOD DAMN GAME

In our area we use to hold casual at friends house, so invite people and hang out ectera make the experience more social than just rocking up to tournament.

In our area we use to hold casual at friends house, so invite people and hang out ectera make the experience more social than just rocking up to tournament.

We have casual setups at every event, casual or otherwise. We can get people to button mash or watch the few of us who know what they're doing, but when it comes time to put in the work to learn things they just go back to capcom.

Daisuke's Panel was today as Anime Expo. I'll try to sum up everything he said.

- Those images we saw with Vastedge Sol Badguy and weird goofy looking Sol Badguy was a proof of concept video the team did to pitch the idea of a 3D designed Guilty Gear. We saw footage of it in action, but weren't allowed to record. The reason why goofy looking Sol Badguy is there is because they only had Sol's model designed and decided to just reuse it and change his face to have a second character to show the battle system.

- When asked about PC and Xbox One port Daisuke said he was not allowed to speak about it.

- Obligatory question about GG vs BB with same obligatory answer.

- That Man's servants with their strange concepts based on Masochist, Sadist, and Bondage was not intentional whatsoever and Daisuke simply just made them up as he went along.

- The Valentines differing animal motifs were also unintentional.

- Emphasized several times that the team really wants to bring back all the old characters. Eventually.

- Zato-One's design was based on Ninjas from mangas Daisuke used to read.

- Big Blast Sonic was made just for the trailer at TGS, which is why we never hear it in the game. Still doesn't explain why it's labeled as "Console Opening" though....

- We got him to scream Dragon Install. It was amazing. He was quite embarrassed.

- He gets Burst Grabbed all the time.

- Those images we saw with Vastedge Sol Badguy and weird goofy looking Sol Badguy was a proof of concept video the team did to pitch the idea of a 3D designed Guilty Gear. We saw footage of it in action, but weren't allowed to record. The reason why goofy looking Sol Badguy is there is because they only had Sol's model designed and decided to just reuse it and change his face to have a second character to show the battle system.

- When asked about PC and Xbox One port Daisuke said he was not allowed to speak about it.

- That Man's servants with their strange concepts based on Masochist, Sadist, and Bondage was not intentional whatsoever and Daisuke simply just made them up as he went along.

- Emphasized several times that the team really wants to bring back all the old characters. Eventually.

- Big Blast Sonic was made just for the trailer at TGS, which is why we never hear it in the game. Still doesn't explain why it's labeled as "Console Opening" though....

- We got him to scream Dragon Install. It was amazing. He was quite embarrassed.

Should've asked him where he got the inspiration for Jack-O besides RTS stuff.

I am so jealous I couldn't go lol. Dammit work!!!:(

When I said I liked Overture, he was shocked, like 0:

When I asked about BDSM, he was shocked, like D:

When I said I liked Overture, he was shocked, like 0:

When I asked about BDSM, he was shocked, like D:

If I was a profilic Japanese game developer who travelled overseas to meet his American fans and was asked about sexual fetishes I'd respond the same way : U

Can someone explain what this is supposed to mean? Theres going to be a new Guilty Gear? What?

Can someone explain what this is supposed to mean? Theres going to be a new Guilty Gear? What?

There was an early alpha (and even that is an overstatement) of Xrd that was created strictly to demo elements of the game. It looked somewhat like this 

http://www.4gamer.net/games/216/G021678/20140703095/SS/012.jpg

You can see more pictures here:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/216/G021678/20140703095/

Also went, but yeah, as Layer mention, I guess that was all on the Q/A so far, and I thought the panel was supposed to be more on Xrd or something, but it was mostly Q/A. Sorry "Blade", I guess not a single Q from any of your 50 Questions weren't mentioned. (Except for #25 which was already answered a while back.)

Did anyone make sure to tell him about that Option Select?  I mean, that was the prime opportunity to make sure it'd get fixed ASAP.

If I was a profilic Japanese game developer who travelled overseas to meet his American fans and was asked about sexual fetishes I'd respond the same way : U

"Man, this place is weird. People like Overture here!"

Also went, but yeah, as Layer mention, I guess that was all on the Q/A so far, and I thought the panel was supposed to be more on Xrd or something, but it was mostly Q/A. Sorry "Blade", I guess not a single Q from any of your 50 Questions weren't mentioned. (Except for #25 which was already answered a while back.)

4. Music References

Somebody asked about Leo's, but I forgot the name of the band. He'd probably answer these one a time if they were asked, but he's not going to explain all of them in a single question, and I doubt he's going to make any sort of public statement or even in-game info about it. He might have forgotten some considering some moves are from 98, but he seems pretty passionate about it, so who knows?

7. BBxGG when? + 50. Other Mori collaborations?

"When Mori finishes BlazBlue and I finish Guilty Gear, then we'll make a crossover"

...BB's nearing completion, but there's a ways to go for Guilty. It'll be a while.

8. Overture remake?

He's stated in another instance (I think it was an interview) that he's interested in at least working on Overture again. Considering I told him I liked it, I also did so with the hope that he might want to try again.

10. Advice for those pushing themselves to make great art/music/games?

He gave a typical, humble jpn game dev answer: "I can't give much advice, but if I can do it, so can you."

17. Daisuke hates Soul Calibur

Respect

18. Would you bridge casual/competitive ideals?

He's also stated before (no source again, sorry), that part of the reason why he likes making the game more difficult is because it's more rewarding to pull off. That's an entirely different topic in terms of risk/reward, depth, and the like, but gleaning from this answer, the response would likely amount to "no".

22. Bridget's Brother when? + ALL FUTURE STORY QUESTIONS

A: He's obviously not going to answer questions like these. This is future story material which is NDA territory. He said the same thing this time, "we can't answer those questions"

That's what I can give you based on what he's said before.

Did anyone make sure to tell him about that Option Select?  I mean, that was the prime opportunity to make sure it'd get fixed ASAP.

FUCK

They probably know already. I think one of the JPN players discovered it and posted on Twitter.

I also wanted to ask if he was aware of Minus R, but BDSM questions take precedence

Should've asked him where he got the inspiration for Jack-O besides RTS stuff.

He said it involved a Toy Box concept of opening up a box and discovering random things.

If I was a prolific Japanese game developer who traveled overseas to meet his American fans and was asked about sexual fetishes I'd respond the same way : U

To be fair, he reads manga like "Bastard!!" and probably stuff like Kentaro Miura's "Berserk" as well.  Japanese are actually more open about hard core stuff than Americans are, which is probably what surprised him, since we're typically portrayed as conservative.

Can someone explain what this is supposed to mean? There's going to be a new Guilty Gear? What?

Concept with "Sol Fakeguy" video was mostly for GGXrd in production... meaning GGXrd Sign/Revelator is the "new" GG.

@Kaizen, thanks for the feedback on my 50 questions.  I'm pretty happy with how he responded to much of it, but I guess we'll have to wait for Revelator to learn more!

Still bugs me about the whole Axl Low/Raven paradox thing though and not really delving much in to OutRage/Saint Oratorio/Frasco.

And I hope he does remake Overture, or make a sequel/spinoff of sorts (maybe involving Jack-O' in particular).

The main reason Daisuke doesn't like Soul Calibur has more to do with the uber fanservice DLC content it gets (similar to problems SFxT and Tekken were plagued with, DOA5 is even worse too), rather than the gameplay itself... since Blitz Shield is pretty much an ersatz form of SC's parry system if you think about it.

And yeah the whole "mentality" about ignoring players who can't do inputs and then changing that philosophy about game design is pretty evident when you think about Dizzy's inputs:

GGX to GGXX: Necro's Anger input: 341236+P  

GGXXAC Onwards: 632146+P standard

Well, the very idea of making a fighting game play like an action game means you have to think about a couple things:

---Players are going to want to pull stuff off and show off. (Like "whoa that was cool" moments)
---Technical Execution tends to be a barrier that makes players feel haughty about their skill level (and discourages others from playing), when in reality Fighting Games are 2 player in nature, so there's supposed to be a form of "positive" interaction between players.
---Just being able to pull off moves doesn't determine a match, as that's only scratching the surface towards the goal of winning.  So execution was just getting in the way of that fast-paced sense of competition that players want to experience.  That includes stuff like FRCs which became YRCs.  FRC strict timing was just getting in the way of tactics and methods people should be able to fluidly come up with on the fly.  Even Blitz Shield was something that surpassed Slashbacks but also had to be adjusted and given more concrete rules (like not being able to BS Overdrives).
---Unlike action games that can be played offline, fighting games these days are an online beast, so that has to be considered as well, that's why YRCs and BS inputs are lenient in timings, that's also why things like the bar system and "frequent d/c'er" systems are in place.  To improve the experience even if players live far away from one another.
---They also wanted to give players a sense that what they accomplished also involved "Luck".  Things like Faust's Items, Danger Time... random stuff.

We have casual setups at every event, casual or otherwise. We can get people to button mash or watch the few of us who know what they're doing, but when it comes time to put in the work to learn things they just go back to capcom.

Well speaking as someone who just started playing with the release of Xrd I can say there isn't much you can do to convince someone to start playing this game. This is not an easy game to learn, so unless a person is commited to investing the time in I don't think there's much you can do. Especially coming from something like SF4, I can't imagine how fast this game seems to someone whose only ever played that game.