Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

I got called the best Bedman someone ever played once too.

The problem: I was the ONLY Bedman they ever played : (  

I have been playing the game for 8 years and still don't consider myself a good player.

Maybe your 3rd strike scene was stronger than your current GG scene or you're just a genius!

I been playing fighters in general since before I even knew how to read and I still can't even instant block consistently.  

What does this mean for me, someone who can very easily go "well, I know i'm not good honestly, but, I have a lot of fun playing with my friends anyway regardless of who wins"?

There's no problem with enjoying a game however you see fit. The most enjoyment I'm ever going to personally glean from Starcraft is from filling the stage with Protoss Cannons; I don't care about my APM or build orders, and have other games I already devote more time to than I can probably afford.

What I have a problem with is being told that, apparently, the way I play games isn't fun. Fun is obviously subjective and I'm not going to expand on this argument when I've seen it over a hundred times. This clearly wasn't anybody's intention here, but when you come from a Smash background, trust me when I say it's a lot more prominent for casual players to outright state "You're better at this game than me, but you take a game seriously, so you're beneath me" (despite having no knowledge of my lifestyle whatsoever). It's turned into a kind of reflex.

I once had a melee match that came out of me running into the player who had knocked me into losers bracket. My execution in that game is pretty piss-poor, and due to some stupid technicality, I had to beat him in two sets despite him already being in losers bracket with me. The game was so exhausting for me that after I won the set I literally could not stand for several minutes (the fact that we had to stand at the setup for half an hour didn't help). I find that kind of trial an unparalleled enjoyment, and I'm not going to get that from mashing with the majority of my buddies who don't understand the significance of using Faultless Defense, but it is obviously not for everyone.

Anybody got any nasty pools for EVO? We've got a local Sin player whose first matchup is Nage, so I spent about four hours last night airthrowing him. It probably didn't help.

"Seriously guys, humble pie is misleading and annoying as heck around here, especially since we're pretty much preaching to the choir about good competitive gameplay. (Meaning: there's already a forum full of good players here, so why say you're 'not good' when in reality you're better than average casual players?)"

Somebody is preaching about the mentality of humility is annoying. I took this as "you're better than casual, so stop showing humilty because it's annoying".

Telling somebody of a competitive mindset to stop being humble because you don't like it is in a similar vein of calling somebody a tryhard with the intent of putting them down.

If it's good enough for you to be above average, fine. But don't preach to those of us who want to take it as far as we can.

I too went to Daisuke's panel at Anime Expo. Shame I was one of the unlucky few who couldn't ask him a question but I enjoyed every minute of it and I'm glad I was able to go.

And while this may or may not be obvious, but one person asked "When's Jam?" and Daisuke replied that they really are planning on adding everybody in Xrd, it's just that they're a small team and it will take some time for this to happen.

... Even though Gazou Faust won ArcREVO?

My bad, all Faust players kinda bleed into one for me

What an adorable scuffle you've all embroilled yourselves into.

Just imo, but SF4 is about as accessible as SF has always been, in that its always been the popularity of the franchise, not the ease of the mechanics/characters, Xrd particularly is better as anime games are on average more fluid and easier to move without being punished, throw in a small buffering window (fuck plinking) and YRCs (like em or not they're made to be more accessible) and you've got yourself a game that is easier to pick up and play, because lets face it your entry window SF player will be jumping around and doing 236 motions without the rhyme or reason to understand neutral, and knowledge of neutral is imperative to everything in SF, and it's also very barebones in SF, more options (like ones usually presented in anime games like barrier blocking, double jumps, air dashes, more lenient and abundant special cancels, more gatlings and less links, air blocking, running, instant blocking) are going to be more welcoming to a newer player, because you can fake it til you make it a lot easier.

Somebody is preaching about the mentality of humility is annoying. I took this as "you're better than casual, so stop showing humilty because it's annoying".

Telling somebody of a competitive mindset to stop being humble because you don't like it is in a similar vein of calling somebody a tryhard with the intent of putting them down.

In context I meant that players who say they're not good around here are selling themselves too short.  

Trying and effort are good and all, but developing an inferiority complex that you're never good enough isn't good either.

As far as it being "annoying" I meant that the fact people say it to the point of it being 'misleading' was annoying.  Not that they themselves were annoying to me.  Sorry about that.

#humblebrag #netplaystories

cool story.

what does that tell us about sf4 besides the fact that you don't like it?

If you read the rest of my post you'd notice I didn't let what netplayers said go to my head.

Also, what part of "accessibility" doesn't involve "liking or not liking" aspects of a game?

If you want specifics, SF4 hardly had a decent training mode with many options that I wanted... heck, even UMvC3 has more options to train with.  I didn't like it (and its lacking options, even despite playing it), therefore I sold it.

Well, back on topic, I hope Revelator comes early.  Any news announcements recently?

Also, what part of "accessibility" doesn't involve "liking or not liking" aspects of a game?

The part where liking something is subjective

@Revelator: Again all we know in terms of a release is "Summer 2015" and we still have about 2 months of that left.  Beyond that I don't think we know much.

I personally value the times when someone told me I'm the worst Sol they've ever played, but they still press buttons in my blockstrings, go 10-0 and ragequit on the last one. By netplay standards, that's some hardcore respect. Makes me feel like I'm pretty good. 

I personally value the times when someone told me I'm the worst Sol they've ever played, but they still press buttons in my blockstrings, go 10-0 and ragequit on the last one. By netplay standards, that's some hardcore respect. Makes me feel like I'm pretty good. 

Hey now, we all know that one of those days the mashing will prove successful.

On a note of "playing the game" vs. "being good at the game". I think there's a certain spot a player will hit if he's determined enough to really level up. It's the point where you spend time in training mode NOT pressing buttons, but with a notebook on your lap and drawing some algorithm that's grossly overestimating what your opponent can do* just so you have all your/his options mapped. What I'm saying is one can play the game for ten years and be decent, easily enough to wreck intermediate players, but being actually good requires more than just vs exp.

*I like pen&paper tech, your experiences may vary.

Ninja edit - I don't think that's set in stone. Ofc results are what counts the most.

Hey now, we all know that one of those days the mashing will prove successful.

Not getting Wild Throw because people don't respect stuff online makes me sad. 
signed:

- A Guy Who Doesn't Respect Stuff Online. 

What I'm saying is one can play the game for ten years and be decent, easily enough to wreck intermediate players, but being actually good requires more than just vs exp.

Beyond that though, you're only as good as the sum of your opponents. 

Not getting Wild Throw because people don't respect stuff online makes me sad. 

signed:

- A Guy Who Doesn't Respect Stuff Online.

huh?

Beyond that though, you're only as good as the sum of your opponents. 

Again, true in general, but as we all know there are exceptions to the rule. While I agree for the most part I must say that with enough determination one can still level up by oneself. It's easy to say "I can't get any better, my opponents suck!", but that's just taking the easy (uh... normal?) way out.

Alternative would be a long, tedious and, by my standards, very boring process. Sitting around with youtube/notebook/training and painstakingly preparing yourself for every possible situation in every possible matchup can and will be hard. Ultimately however, it's possible and it happened before.

Some solid data of the game sales, no data from this year or digital, just last year and retailer.

Media Create Sales: 2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28}

RANK. [sYSTEM] TITLE <GENRE> (PUBLISHER) {RELEASE DATE} (PRICE) - YEAR-TO-DATE SALES / LIFETIME-TO-DATE SALES (FIRST WEEK SALES <FIRST WEEK SELL THROUGH>)

189. [PS3] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2014.12.04} (¥7.538) - 38.956 / 38.956 (27.278 <73,05%>)

310. [PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2014.12.04} (¥7.538) - 18.649 / 18.649 (12.638 <58,42%>)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076342

huh?

Again, true in general, but as we all know there are exceptions to the rule. While I agree for the most part I must say that with enough determination one can still level up by oneself. It's easy to say "I can't get any better, my opponents suck!", but that's just taking the easy (uh... normal?) way out.

Alternative would be a long, tedious and, by my standards, very boring process. Sitting around with youtube/notebook/training and painstakingly preparing yourself for every possible situation in every possible matchup can and will be hard. Ultimately however, it's possible and it happened before.

I learned a good chunk of the game from theory fighter.  I had talked to Final Showdown and he said much the same (in his own, Final showdown way).

In terms of accessibility, one of the few good things that MKX did that I wish Xrd would steal are a few of the training mode options, namely being able to set your opponent to automatically reversal with any number of options as a switch.

Afaik in MKX you can only set the AI to reverse with specials. Using AI and recording gives you similar/better power in Xrd.

If anything MKX should steal an idea from Xrd, like working on release.

Some solid data of the game sales, no data from this year or digital, just last year and retailer.

No surprise that it sold about twice as much on PS3. Just like the PS2, the system is going to die a long, very slow death in Japan - I expect it to still maintain an active release schedule there well into 2017.

Bodes well for the likelihood of Revelator ending up on PS3, unless Sony wants to moneyhat current-gen exclusivity to drive system sales further. Wouldn't put it past them after they bankrolled SFV.

Bodes well for the likelihood of Revelator ending up on PS3, unless Sony wants to moneyhat current-gen exclusivity to drive system sales further. Wouldn't put it past them after they bankrolled SFV.

That would be most unfortunate. Sony would have to pay Arcsys a lot of money for that exclusivity to make up for the lost PS3 version revenue, but I suppose it could be possible. I guess I'd better start praying for that PC version.

That would be most unfortunate. Sony would have to pay Arcsys a lot of money for that exclusivity to make up for the lost PS3 version revenue, but I suppose it could be possible. I guess I'd better start praying for that PC version.

PC releases of ArcSys fighters will always be an iteration behind, to stave off the pirates and Chinese arcade bootleggers. We'll probably get Xrd Vanilla on PC around the same time that Revelator hits consoles.

Also, "glad" to see that ArcSys USA are still acting like cheeky-ass mofos on social media. Don't know what makes them think they have the privilege when they've already had so many fuckups in their short history - AC+R's US PS3 release delayed well past its promised deadline, BBCP's localization farmed out to some idiots no one's heard of (who couldn't be bothered to translate Library Mode until the Extend version), and now Battle Fantasia's PC port being a complete disaster. ASW really shouldn't have bothered staffing an overseas office if it was going to end up full of incompetent assholes, they should have just kept on relying on Aksys for everything, even if it was more expensive.

Whoever's manning their twitter is dope. I like the cut of his jib. Not every company has the balls to make fun of their fans.