Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

While I fully respect your disappointment with the lack of changes, not changing the matchups etc. was 100% on purpose by Arc. 1.1 is still somewhat fresh, so I'm glad they're not jumping the gun and changing everything already. I expect a fully fledged balance patch when they drop Jam or maybe the console version. At this point there's no use balancing the game that has not been fully tested, at least let Johnny and Jack-O' sink in before they tweak the others around. 

I understand.  I won't dispute that leaving the balance alone for such a young game is the right thing to do, just that I don't like it in this case.  Recognizing it as a personal problem and not an objective one is what I'm trying to do here.

Hopefully that patch comes before releasing the console version so the game doesn't get stuck on store shelves. It's going to be hard playing the outdated version with Revelator now being played. I'll tell ya, they are horrible at keeping their international community together.

But if there's no balance changes is it really that bad playing an outdated version?

The announcement is that people can vote for the next playable character using the Player's Guild. Spend your World Dollars on votes for a character to become playable. Called the "Player Character Selection General Election".

The announcement is that people can vote for the next playable character using the Player's Guild. Spend your World Dollars on votes for a character to become playable. Called the "Player Character Selection General Election".

Meaning no one outside of Japan can vote I guess?

No. I feel the same way. How can you have a new version of a game and not adjust gameplay so that every character gets closer to the equator of balance? You would want every character to see around the same frequency of use in your game. Some characters are still missing that 'something' to get them more use in current tournaments. High tiers can be adjusted to need more risk-taking to succeed. Who wants to spend $40-60 for JUST for 2-3 extra characters and some extra story? I also expected the removal Danger Time with it's randomness and momentum-killing attributes. Without changes in balance, there's really not much that's going to change matchups.

Hopefully that patch comes before releasing the console version so the game doesn't get stuck on store shelves. It's going to be hard playing the outdated version with Revelator now being played. I'll tell ya, they are horrible at keeping their international community together.

wut

I hope you realize by not having balance changes for revelator, you're inherently not playing the outdated version outside of the system mechanics (which aren't changed drastically) and the new characters.

wut

I hope you realize by not having balance changes for revelator, you're inherently not playing the outdated version outside of the system mechanics (which aren't changed drastically) and the new characters.

That is actually a very good point. While adjustments will have to be made and matchups learned, at least we can safely say that our knowledge will not go to the thrash the minute Revelator drops. 

BTW, make a Bridget subforum already. 

The thing you have to remember is that there are still people learning this game and its matchups. Constantly switching stuff around and tweaking and adjusting and changing characters isn't very helpful to those people who are still picking up the strats.

In the old days arcade games took slightly longer to update, as I recall there was at least a years' gap between SFII: World Warrior (February 1991) and the Championship Edition (March 92'), but even as it got followed up with Hyper (Dec 92'), it didn't get Super (93') and Turbo (94') until a long while after.

By the time Turbo came out, most people "got it", the fundamentals of Street Fighter II.  But still, it took a while, and not many major changes were made to characters until years later in the Alpha series.

The point is, when games DO change, it's a subtle thing, and it should be, because players need to learn stuff.  Changes should be made to keep things interesting, not frustrate players.

The thing you have to remember is that there are still people learning this game and its matchups. Constantly switching stuff around and tweaking and adjusting and changing characters isn't very helpful to those people who are still picking up the strats.

In the old days arcade games took slightly longer to update, as I recall there was at least a years' gap between SFII: World Warrior (February 1991) and the Championship Edition (March 92'), but even as it got followed up with Hyper (Dec 92'), it didn't get Super (93') and Turbo (94') until a long while after.

By the time Turbo came out, most people "got it", the fundamentals of Street Fighter II.  But still, it took a while, and not many major changes were made to characters until years later in the Alpha series.

The point is, when games DO change, it's a subtle thing, and it should be, because players need to learn stuff.  Changes should be made to keep things interesting, not frustrate players.

That's a moot point considering that arcade Xrd is over a year old unless you count 1.1 as its own entity.  If they wanted to keep the balance I really don't see why they didn't just wait to make a new game.  I guess people are that thirsty for new content.  

If they're that thirsty for changes, I suggest they do what I did and wait and see if there's an EX Mode or Gold Characters or something in the console version, otherwise just play M.O.M. for now.

This poll is outdated.  The last time they polled across the entire Arcsys library, Sol was the most popular male in GG and Dizzy the most popular female.  There's also the fact that only people with players guild cards will be able to vote, and Bridget is a bit more rare than most characters to see in actual play.  Not saying nobody uses him, but he certainly isn't as well represented as some of the others.

God I friggan hope not.  This poll better respect Western and Europe fans too.

That is extremely unlikely.  Considering the arcade release only exists in Japan, and you need in game currency to even vote in the first place...

NOT for $40. If that's the case, then they need start doing downloadable updates for $15-25 like what was done with Street Fighter 4 Ultra.

Xenophobia at it's finest.

Not xenophobia, just unfortunate circumstance.  Xenophobia would be "nobody is allowed to vote unless they are pure Japanese."  The reality is that you can vote ONLY if you play the arcade version, which only exists in Japan.  So theoretically if you are American and you are in Japan, if you've won enough world dollars from playing the game, you can vote.  It's actually brilliant for two reasons.

1.People who rage quit GG because their character wasn't in Xrd will now show up and learn the game so they can get them there faster.

2.The poll can't be sabotaged with stupid joke votes like the Smash Bros character ballot probably is.

Either way, get ready for Robo Ky when Dogura bodies enough people on his own to get enough world dollars to single handedly carry the guy to the top lol.

Edited by Poultrygeist

To be honest:

1. World Dollars seems like a cash cow since you have to plunk quarters to play the game to earn it.
2. Even if players DO vote, we can't really say for sure what the selection of characters they have to vote for is (unless someone has a list of the candidates).
3. To be even MORE honest this is just for one more character in Revelator, and I can bet you Revelator isn't the last GG game, so even if a character gets voted for, the "priority" of their production goes up.  And once they get bumped in to the roster, that's it, any future elections won't include them.

The latter is what I'm just gonna hope for now.

Edited by Blade

Not xenophobia, just unfortunate circumstance.  Xenophobia would be "nobody is allowed to vote unless they are pure Japanese."  The reality is that you can vote ONLY if you play the arcade version, which only exists in Japan.  So theoretically if you are American and you are in Japan, if you've won enough world dollars from playing the game, you can vote.  It's actually brilliant for two reasons.

1.People who rage quit GG because their character wasn't in Xrd will now show up and learn the game so they can get them there faster.

2.The poll can't be sabotaged with stupid joke votes like the Smash Bros character ballot probably is.

It IS xenophobia my friend. This is 2015. We have too many ways to connect to each other. Why are they only using an arcade for info that's going to effect US, Europe and the rest of the world as well? America and Europe are potentially far bigger markets for their IPs if they would act like we exist.

Market profiling is not xenophobia. REVELATOR, at this point, is an ARCADE product, whether we like it or not. The game will not be available in the arcades outside Japan, so Japan is their marked. There will be a console release at some point, sure, but from a marketing standpoint, it's a separate product, not the same thing. 

I'm not happy about it either, and I would love for them to acknowledge the Western/console audience. But calling it xenophobia is a little too heavy. 

To be honest:

1. World Dollars seems like a cash cow since you have to plunk quarters to play the game to earn it.
2. Even if players DO vote, we can't really say for sure what the selection of characters they have to vote for is (unless someone has a list of the candidates).
3. To be even MORE honest this is just for one more character in Revelator, and I can bet you Revelator isn't the last GG game, so even if a character gets voted for, the "priority" of their production goes up.  And once they get bumped in to the roster, that's it, any future elections won't include them.

The latter is what I'm just gonna hope for now.

1.Well...I'm sorry but that's kind of obvious.  That's been the case forever though, what do you think people were using to buy all those cute little avatars and titles for their player cards?

2.The poll doesn't go up until tomorrow.

3.That's also obvious.