Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

Like I said, it's a cash cow, in the same vein as Fund It or Kickstarter.  You can't expect these things to be free, and Arcade is typically their number one source of cash (god I wish it wasn't but that's the truth).

On the plus side it's JUST ONE CHARACTER.  This isn't the last GG folks, we can expect more of our TRUE favorites with each successive game.

It IS xenophobia my friend. This is 2015. We have too many ways to connect to each other. Why are they only using an arcade for info that's going to effect US, Europe and the rest of the world as well? America and Europe are potentially far bigger markets for their IPs if they would act like we exist.

Because arcades are still their primary focus. Additionally, they're encouraging more of their people to go to the arcades and play the game. Holding a character poll for people outside of Japan gauges interest and potential sales, but not everybody who votes for that character is actually going to go out and buy the game regardless as opposed to using in-game currency that is earned through playtime in the arcade that participants have to spend money for.

Yeah, it's shitty for people outside of Japan, but Arcsys is a japanese business first with a niche audience for Guilty Gear in the west while having a stable core that can be tapped into in japanese arcades. So what option do you think they'll take?

Market profiling is not xenophobia. REVELATOR, at this point, is an ARCADE product, whether we like it or not. The game will not be available in the arcades outside Japan, so Japan is their marked. There will be a console release at some point, sure, but from a marketing standpoint, it's a separate product, not the same thing. 

I'm not happy about it either, and I would love for them to acknowledge the Western/console audience. But calling it xenophobia is a little too heavy. 

It's an arcade product currently that's going to eventually be made into a home game that will be shipped across the world. The ironic thing about it is their origins are from so-called Africa. Like I wrote earlier, they are horrible with keeping the international community together. What better way to get the other regions of the world hyped for your product than to give them the opportunity to affect game development? No. Japan (smaller than California) is the world...

Oh yeah and I should also add this tidbit:

---Only reason Bridget was popular was because:
1. Nobody hardly knew about GG back in the day and they knew more about Bridget than they did GG itself (because of sites like 2chan or 4chan).
2. Mainstreamers got to vote in the poll.

This current poll is about the people who actually PLAY THE ARCADE VERSION of GGXrd, so basically they eat sleep and breathe GGXrd.  If someone wants Bridget for Xrd they're going to have to "really" want him, because I know there's lots more viable Xrd characters to play as that people WANT.

To say nothing of the "inevitable" boss fight with Justice (lol).

It's an arcade product currently that's going to eventually be made into a home game that will be shipped across the world. The ironic thing about it is their origins are from so-called Africa. Like I wrote earlier, they are horrible with keeping the international community together. What better way to get the other regions of the world hyped for your product than to give them the opportunity to affect game development? No. Japan (smaller than California) is the world...

The issue with that is, by the time it BECOMES a console home product, the poll will be over, since the console product is a port of the arcade one.  Is it the most ideal practice?  No, not really, but arcades will always be the prioritized version of the game to them, as it's where the vast majority of the play comes from.  Yes, that small subset of gaming culture in a tiny country gets more GG play than the rest of the world put together, funny enough.  If the arcade version existed outside of Japan, the poll would likely include them as well.  In fact, remember that the Nesica Live service that carries USF4 and BBCPE just recently hit a few select US locations.  But then you'll have even more problems where in order to get world dollars to vote, you'll have to drive out to very specific arcades in states that may be very far away from where you live.  And even then, there's no guarantee you'll play well enough to be eligble to vote.  It's a mess.

Also just a small correction and nitpick, but Arcsys are not from South Africa, that's just where Ishiwatari (who doesn't own the company) was born.

This poll is outdated.  The last time they polled across the entire Arcsys library, Sol was the most popular male in GG and Dizzy the most popular female.  There's also the fact that only people with players guild cards will be able to vote, and Bridget is a bit more rare than most characters to see in actual play.  Not saying nobody uses him, but he certainly isn't as well represented as some of the others.

Bridget was the second most voted GG male character on the most recent poll, Sol was first but Sol is already in the game, Bridget more or less was the most popular character that is not in the game. You have point about the players guild, they may have a different taste than the general fan. I think is going to be Bridget, Dizzy or Baiken, but we will see :)

Again, like I said, Mainstreamers (people who don't know about GG) got to vote in that particular poll.

People who actually play the game will not be so merciful to Bridget.

That's why I don't expect Bridget to do well.  He's not a very popular pick so unless players that do well vote for him just for the hell of it I don't expect the few top Bridget players alone to be enough to get him up there.  We must also consider however that there will be players who already have their character and are using their world dollars to vote for a new character anyway, so on the other hand Bridget might still do well.

If it were me I'd probably vote for a GG2 character, just for a little variety's sake.

Though, frankly speaking there's Testament and A.B.A. and they have a decent following too.

Though the ton of Baiken fanart out there tends to tell me it might come down to her.

You know what xenophobia is? Making the Japanese sound like corporate devils for not catering to your market that doesn't even have the game yet.

What exactly are quests in Xrd?

From what I understood from the stream, challenges. Clear this characters episode mode, win a match with this character and so on.

I believe there are daily and weekly quests.

Someone please correct me if I got the wrong impression.

The issue with that is, by the time it BECOMES a console home product, the poll will be over, since the console product is a port of the arcade one.  Is it the most ideal practice?  No, not really, but arcades will always be the prioritized version of the game to them, as it's where the vast majority of the play comes from.  Yes, that small subset of gaming culture in a tiny country gets more GG play than the rest of the world put together, funny enough.  If the arcade version existed outside of Japan, the poll would likely include them as well.  In fact, remember that the Nesica Live service that carries USF4 and BBCPE just recently hit a few select US locations.  But then you'll have even more problems where in order to get world dollars to vote, you'll have to drive out to very specific arcades in states that may be very far away from where you live.  And even then, there's no guarantee you'll play well enough to be eligble to vote.  It's a mess.

Also just a small correction and nitpick, but Arcsys are not from South Africa, that's just where Ishiwatari (who doesn't own the company) was born.

I see where you're coming from. Still, their potential with this product is incredible. It CAN reach Street Fighters levels, but their focus is just Japan. You can't grow with just that mindset. Capcom gave America/Eu the home version of the last update first. Did that affect Japan in a negative way? No. They just continue to play it in the arcade until it did hit home. Arks' priority to increase their potential sales should be to capitalize on the Japanese arcade scene and the rest of the world's console scene at around the same time. Mainstream People lose interest when they're not participating.

[winter 2016] "Revelator? Wasn't that the update they released in Japan in the summer of last year (2015)? Yeah, yeah I remember they were letting Japanese players vote on who to put in the cast. How did that go? Oh, I forgot all bout it man. Been so caught up with all the stuff Capcom has been revealing and doing with Street Fighter V. Are they releasing Revelator outside of Japan? They are? Where can I find info on it? On their Japanese official site. Hopefully I can use my browser to translate the info."

Real brief on their origin (pm me if you want more):

Google>images:

1. Negrito

2. Black Ainu

ASW was genious with this strategy fot the next character, i can easily imagine the whales spending loads and loads of money to get they beloved waifu or husbando in the game and overall having several people spend much more money that they would normally spend since they are motivated to get certain character in the game

The thing you have to remember is that there are still people learning this game and its matchups. Constantly switching stuff around and tweaking and adjusting and changing characters isn't very helpful to those people who are still picking up the strats.

In the old days arcade games took slightly longer to update, as I recall there was at least a years' gap between SFII: World Warrior (February 1991) and the Championship Edition (March 92'), but even as it got followed up with Hyper (Dec 92'), it didn't get Super (93') and Turbo (94') until a long while after.

By the time Turbo came out, most people "got it", the fundamentals of Street Fighter II.  But still, it took a while, and not many major changes were made to characters until years later in the Alpha series.

The point is, when games DO change, it's a subtle thing, and it should be, because players need to learn stuff.  Changes should be made to keep things interesting, not frustrate players.

Have a couple of issues here.  First is that there's (at least) two big differences between how a fighting game evolved in the early nineties and how a fighting game evolves now.  In the broadest sense the internet accelerates the rate at which information (kind of like what we're doing now) about a game is disseminated and more specifically the degree to which Youtube has allowed tech to evolve.  This drastically changes how quickly a game is, while not perfected, taken to a very high level.  The sort of information that it took SF players in the early nineties years to figure out can now be derived in months if not weeks (even less for some games).

The second issue I guess is one of content delivery and value.  If there aren't any real significant system or balance changes and the only major changes to the game overall are a few new characters then why am I being asked pay $40 for it?  Additionally on this subject ASW, as perhaps the last real holdout on this issue, really needs to get more on board with digital distribution.

Disseminating information isn't the same as ingraining it.

Unless you can download martial arts into your brain ala The Matrix.

The second issue I guess is one of content delivery and value.  If there aren't any real significant system or balance changes and the only major changes to the game overall are a few new characters then why am I being asked pay $40 for it? 

Just have to point out that Throw Breaks and the new Blitz Shield are fairly significant system changes. It's not that much, but it ain't nothing.

I wish I could share that enthusiasm, Revelator to me so far has just been one massive disappointment : / I guess I feel happy for the guys who only care about getting their characters back, but to me the fact that they didn't adjust the gameplay just makes me sad.  I don't know if saying that is considered trolling or not.

I'm actually glad they didn't go the "teehee you have to relearn everything every year" route. It gets annoying pretty fast.

All I want to know is the vote list, through the list, maybe we can know characters are already planed to be added in revelator console version, like maybe Raven is not in the list?

Lol, people are never happy w/ these kind of decisions. Its not our fault our arcade scene is dead in the US for the most part. I have no problems w/ what they are doing..but im sure everyone needs a reason to bitch about something. Regardless, im liking the way Revelator is looking and excited to play it. Im sure when it comes to console they will have some kind of update along w/ new chars. But remember the game is just dropping, they dont know what to fix yet...sheesh

Good quality footage of a new mechanics breakdown. The new Elphelt intro looks like Assasin's Creed lol. 

Here's what I got out of that:

THROW CLASH
- You can clash throws. The timing window is notably tiny.
- Airthrows can also be clashed.

BLITZ SHIELD
- Crouching Blitz Shield no longer Rejects mids (attacks that can be blocked both crouching and standing).
- Successfully Blitz Shielding an attack now regains a small amount of Burst Gauge.
- Blitz Shield can be charged, after which an attack will be performed. During the charge, Blitz Shield remains active and will Reject any attacks that can be validly Rejected.
- Blitz Strike itself has no invuln or Reject.
- Blitz Strike can be blocked at any level of charge.
- Fully charged Blitz Strike cannot be Blitz Shielded, but all partially charged versions can.
- Hitting with Blitz Strike will both regain a small amount of Burst Gauge as well as reduce a small amount of the opponent's Burst Gauge.
- Partial charge Blitz Strike causes a nearly full-screen blowback that will cause wall-stick if near enough to the corner.
- Fully charged Blitz Strike causes crumple.

DUST HORIZONTAL HOMING DASH
- A new animation has been added for a horizontal followup dash from Dust.
- If you choose this followup, the opponent flies backward for a little bit while falling, then enters sliding state once he hits the ground.
- Like the vertical followup, you have a short time in which you can gatling normals into any other normals including themselves.
- During this time, EVERY hit you land refreshes sliding state.
- Once this special Dust state ends, sliding state also immediately ends.
- Like -Sign-, connecting with an attack while in the corner during this state causes wall-stick.

SLAYER
- Is now voiced by Toki from Hokuto no Ken.

BURST OVERDRIVE
- You can now enhance the damage of certain Overdrives (supers) by spending your Burst. Press D instead of the usual button to do this.
- If you are able to perform a Burst Overdrive, your character will have lightning effects.
- When you perform a Burst Overdrive, it shows BURST in the bottom corner during the cinematic startup.
- Using a Burst Overdrive spends ALL of your Burst gauge, but hitting with the Overdrive will refill about 1/3 of the gauge.
- Hellfire Burst Overdrive will deal damage to your soul. Don't get hit by it.