Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

I just realized they kept that same garbage ass announcer. That's it. I'm done. Back to Street Fighter.

It's a step up from Accent Core's announcer at least.

Maaaan these guys are discovering really cool stuff with Johnny already lol. j.D loops, double air Mist Finers Zweihander YRC shenanigans.... god I can't wait to see how he looks months from now.

Personal wish-list would be for Baiken to make it since she's kinda been around since even the original GG1. But, I doubt her popularity exceeds that of Dizzy or the memetastic "Everyone if X for" Bridget. As a side note, I am not fond of this method for picking character additions. ASW fighters is the sort where virtually every character has a devoted fanbase and them being denied their character of choice (when they tried as best as they could to get them included) is just bound to disappoint. And if the vitriol that resulted in the Skullgirls DLC campaign is an indicator, people can get really nasty when denied their..."prize".

In more gameplay related news, I love Jack-O'. Easily my favorite new blood. I cannot wait to see what her mirror match will be like. Oh God the possibilities...

Personal wish-list would be for Baiken to make it since she's kinda been around since even the original GG1. But, I doubt her popularity exceeds that of Dizzy or the memetastic "Everyone if X for" Bridget. As a side note, I am not fond of this method for picking character additions. ASW fighters is the sort where virtually every character has a devoted fanbase and them being denied their character of choice (when they tried as best as they could to get them included) is just bound to disappoint. And if the vitriol that resulted in the Skullgirls DLC campaign is an indicator, people can get really nasty when denied their..."prize".

In more gameplay related news, I love Jack-O'. Easily my favorite new blood. I cannot wait to see what her mirror match will be like. Oh God the possibilities...

I personally like it because it gives a voice to the consumer in a way and it's better than dealing with characters put in due to being the creator's favorites. My main(s) haven't been in a game for a while (Dizzy and Bridget) so even if they don't make it again I don't have a problem with it because I love Guilty Gear that much. No matter what ASW does (like put every character in the game) someone is going to complain or be nasty so I'm prepared for it. I.E. "WHY is my main nerfed but X character isn't?!"

Oh and Jack-o's voice is squeaky like my own in real life so I'm slightly amused. And Leo has buffs in this version?

Edited by Naotomato

As someone who always liked the roster regardless of who was in it, regardless of what mechanics or changes it had... I don't particularly care much about what anyone thinks about one character or another.  To me it's not even about looking forward to having one favorite character to use.

To me it's about having ALL my favorite GG characters to use!  (Haters can go Hate elsewhere).

Oh sure, we might never see Fanny, Mizuha, or Tyr (or even Geena she was hawt), but it's the world they live in, it's the characters that are created and born in Guilty Gear that I fancy.  It's that Rockin' Style that I prefer in general, over the miscellaneous SF and KOF boxing clones I see year in and year out.

I just like the roster as a whole and the potential variety it brings to the table (even when characters come across as annoying types).

Any day a new character or returning character is announced is like Christmas for me!

Those of you going back to Street Fighter... buh-byeeeee!  I don't think you'll be missed much.  *waves*

What's with the effect that happens when somebody gets hit with a blue burst? Like it's giving them some sort of energy?

EDIT: Oh nevermind I guess that's to show that you get 30% burst back for not missing. Kinda unnecessary no?

Edited by Mumm-Ra

Anyone know wow long is the voting period is?

the dustloop article mentions that no end time was stated.

What's with the effect that happens when somebody gets hit with a blue burst? Like it's giving them some sort of energy?

EDIT: Oh nevermind I guess that's to show that you get 30% burst back for not missing. Kinda unnecessary no?

Revelator literally has effects for and on everything (VS screen fire, sparking effects on character, burst, and tension gauges, etc) it's all pretty unnecessary outside of making a flashier spectacle for audiences and showing off the breadth of the upgraded engine.

I could live without most of it, but they certainly don't hurt.

I don't know how to feel about new Slayer voice...He sounds like he gives Too much of a crap when doing moves.

Throw tech addition is welcome.

Even though this is early to say, I can't imagine them making a PS3 version with the amount of effect details added to things.

Revelator literally has effects for and on everything (VS screen fire, sparking effects on character, burst, and tension gauges, etc) it's all pretty unnecessary outside of making a flashier spectacle for audiences and showing off the breadth of the upgraded engine.

I could live without most of it, but they certainly don't hurt.

That's... not true. Regarding the "BURST" particle effect in particular. Believe it or not, there's a lot of players that play the game till' this day that didn't know that whiffing a Burst attempt garners you a "black" BURST meter. The particle effect helps players make the association and understand the consequences of landing burst or whiffing it. 

-Kimosabae 

Edited by SynikaL

Very much agree on the first part.  People get very (see also: way too) invested in this sort of thing and, if I'm reading articles about how this is going to be decided correctly, the people voting have a chance to have a significantly higher financial "investment" in their character voting than those involved in the Skullgirls voting did.  Also as you mention that since practically every character has a longtime loyal fanbase it wouldn't be a surprise if the voting is quit close.  Lastly due to the sheer number of candidates it's going to be virtually impossible for any character to achieve an actual majority.  IMO a smarter (see also: less likely to incite nerd rage and/or result in death threats to the developers) way to do this would have been to make the voting less consequential by say making the top 3 (or 5 or whatever) candidates receive consideration for being added to the game rather than a guaranteed ticket to entry.  ASW would still get their market research while being more likely to avoid the nasty fallout that pissing off passionate fan bases usually results in.

Also agree on the second part.  Jack-O represents a very interesting approach to character design that I look forward to seeing more of in action.  I do however get this sinking feeling that she will be a very difficult character to balance.

Very much agree on the first part.  People get very (see also: way too) invested in this sort of thing and, if I'm reading articles about how this is going to be decided correctly, the people voting have a chance to have a significantly higher financial "investment" in their character voting than those involved in the Skullgirls voting did.  Also as you mention that since practically every character has a longtime loyal fanbase it wouldn't be a surprise if the voting is quit close.  Lastly due to the sheer number of candidates it's going to be virtually impossible for any character to achieve an actual majority.  IMO a smarter (see also: less likely to incite nerd rage and/or result in death threats to the developers) way to do this would have been to make the voting less consequential by say making the top 3 (or 5 or whatever) candidates receive consideration for being added to the game rather than a guaranteed ticket to entry.  ASW would still get their market research while being more likely to avoid the nasty fallout that pissing off passionate fan bases usually results in.

Also agree on the second part.  Jack-O represents a very interesting approach to character design that I look forward to seeing more of in action.  I do however get this sinking feeling that she will be a very difficult character to balance.

That was exactly how Daisuke said in the interview about Jack-O balancing. He had a difficulty time to balance her. Her gameplay was like RTS Tower Defense and some Overture element. Those who likes RTS will likely be a boss with her thanks to her godly minions.

In that stream is Jack-O's instant kill shown? I saw Johnny's but I figured I'd ask so I don't navigate 13h of video for no reason if it isn't there.

You can see Jack-O's IK here: 

edit: I haven't seen Johnny's IK yet so if someone has a link his IK to share I'd be grateful.

Edited by SQNR

You can see Jack-O's IK here: 

edit: I haven't seen Johnny's IK yet so if someone has a link his IK to share I'd be grateful.

I don't have a link but in the stream above skip to 10:30 and it's there

That's a weird reference to something but I can't put my finger on it.  Yatterman maybe?  Gulliver's Travels?  Gunbuster?

Yatta is something like "We did it!" or "It's done!" in japanese

also