Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

It would be ****ing awful if Aksys dragged their feet at localizing a major ArcSys fighter release again. I still have zero regrets for my decision to import BBCP after how ridiculously long it took to be brought over, and I'm sure they lost a significant number of sales from their lethargy, including mine. I won't import a GG game except as a last resort though, because I'm much more invested in the storyline. Hoping for a US release no more than two months after the Japanese console debut, and even that would be pushing it.

There's also a chance that Sony will throw some moneyhats Aksys's way to make the US localization PS4 exclusive. I wouldn't rule it out after what happened with SFV; they're a longtime EVO sponsor and have been aggressively pushing for the FGC to adopt the PS4 en masse (although the Sony-developed PS4 version of USFIV is a piece of shit, lol). Though Guilty Gear probably isn't a big enough deal for them to care.

Why not take the most relevant example here instead of wildly spitballing?  When Xrd -SIGN- was released, it took them ~2 weeks to release NA version.  I expect the same out of Revelator.

I suppose now would be a good time to note that there's very little functional difference between the JP and NA versions of Xrd -Sign-, even in terms of language. Hell, the JP version even defaults to English text and voices if it notices your PS3's regional setting as NA. I'm actually not entirely certain what was done for the localization specifically that took two weeks to release (I guess PSN puts you down as playing Guilty Gear Xrd instead of GUILTY GEAR XRD), but it'd be a strange turn of development if they didn't bother with supporting the NA scene for Revelator.

At this point I have no idea why localization a) takes so long AND b) if it legitimately takes so long why it isn't started earlier in the development process.  I would say that the post below, in hoping for a release difference of no more than two months, is being overly pessimistic.

It would be ****ing awful if Aksys dragged their feet at localizing a major ArcSys fighter release again. I still have zero regrets for my decision to import BBCP after how ridiculously long it took to be brought over, and I'm sure they lost a significant number of sales from their lethargy, including mine. I won't import a GG game except as a last resort though, because I'm much more invested in the storyline. Hoping for a US release no more than two months after the Japanese console debut, and even that would be pushing it.

Umm that might be a problem, as if the US release is two months after the Japanese release then depending on when in 'Spring' said Japanese release occurs we might be looking at a second year of Xrd -SIGN- at Evo.

Why not take the most relevant example here instead of wildly spitballing?  When Xrd -SIGN- was released, it took them ~2 weeks to release NA version.  I expect the same out of Revelator.

Aksys only kicked their localization team's asses into overdrive with Sign because it was a highly anticipated all-new fighting game that was not simply an expansion of an already existing one. Calamity Trigger received similar treatment, reaching the US a mere five days after Japan (though non-limited edition buyers had to wait a month). Revelator doesn't have that benefit to ride on, it's purely an iterative update with no balance changes, and thus has no chance of recapturing the same hype levels and sales numbers that Sign garnered. The odds are still in favor of a speedy localization, but it's not nearly as much of a given this time.

Well, that's an odd perspective to take, since as I mentioned, there were very little actual noticeable differences between the JP and NA versions of Xrd -Sign-. Whether Aksys was already actively collaborating with ArcSys throughout development or something else, the only things I saw that changed were:

- In PSN, players with GUILTY GEAR XRD -SIGN- are playing the Japanese version, and players with Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- are playing the North American version

- The NA version, in addition to all the other company logos, also features the Aksys logo.

I imagine the extra two weeks were spent on simply finishing up all the publisher work (box and manual/codex localization, getting the game on the PSN Store).

ASW USA is the one to blame for BBCP original piss poor localization. That was the first time they gave the localization job to Strangely Compelling while Aksys was doing the publishing only. They took a sweet 6 months in finishing the job and didn't even bother localizing library mode.

Ever since, they've keep hiring them but something tells me that they now receive some sort of support from Aksys. The fact that NA Xrd released so closely to the JP release date and that BBCPE's library mode was fully translated inspires a bit more confidence.

That being said, BBCPE's NA release date was around 2 months after the JP release date. Personally, I can wait that long. But I know that for most of DL that is an eternity.

Whether Aksys was already actively collaborating with ArcSys throughout development or something else

It's pretty obvious that they were, and that this was not the case with BBCP. Also, the Japanese version of Sign would have most assuredly not had English on it if they were at all concerned about losing Western sales to imports, which they weren't, since they put in a huge preemptive effort to ensure that the releases would be very close together with no content missing. (They didn't translate Sign's library mode in time for it to go on the disc, but it was patched in almost right away.)

Still no PC version in sight. Not that I expected one, but this is making me dread the day Arcsys finally drops its PS3 support and I will either have to get a PS4 or stop playing new Guilty Gear games.

I'm expecting a PC version eventually, but it'll probably be Sign and it'll most likely only be released after Xrd super turbo Extend: electric boogaloo hits consoles.

Edited by SQNR

There's also a chance that Sony will throw some moneyhats Aksys's way to make the US localization PS4 exclusive. I wouldn't rule it out after what happened with SFV; they're a longtime EVO sponsor and have been aggressively pushing for the FGC to adopt the PS4 en masse (although the Sony-developed PS4 version of USFIV is a piece of shit, lol). Though Guilty Gear probably isn't a big enough deal for them to care.

I wouldn't blame Aksys for that if I were you.  ARCSys does most of their localization in-house last I heard.  They only consult with Aksys on a few things to make sure terms and other stuff sync up with older stuff like what Aksys did with terms from GG2 Overture.  There's still some inconsistencies, but they're working on that.

I'd go in to details but it's a translation thing, so just appreciate that they're trying to be consistent with all U.S. incarnations of Guilty Gear.

Edit: That goes for BlazBlue as well, Aksys is lobbying to get more consistency out of all of ARC's games, so they're willing to cooperate whenever they can (not that I'm an Aksys rep or anything, they just told me when I asked).

Edited by Blade

InB4 Xrd-Revelator- turns out to be JPN only. Or becomes a PS4 exclusive everywhere else after 9 months. Hey, it happens sometimes :v:

Inb4sarcasm, seriously, ASW and Aksys do work, lol.

Except that a couple days later from the JP release, there were copies of the PS4 version of Xrd (PS3 ver. and the LE weren't available at that time) out of nowhere at GS's and broke street date.

Is it too much to hope for a Western-exclusive Xbox One version of Revelator? Unfortunate that CP Extend's XBO release was probably a one-and-done experiment that failed, and that wasn't by Team Red anyway.

That's what I thought too, if I wonder, there was CP:EX for the X1, then what if Rev comes to that too, but I guess it won't happen at all (Even though X1 can also play BD discs). Even though for reasons western exclusive as an example, P4AU at least did come over. But that was different, I guess. Oh well.

But yeah, I wait to see if and when it'll come by overseas one of these days as usual, and sport the "update" prices (usually $40-PS3 and $50-PS4), and if possible, maybe an LE, but maybe that will be skipped (since they didn't do that for CP:EX in JP and US, but at least EU/PAL did, lol.).

Edited by NeoStrayCat

Because people are idiots. No other reason

It has shitloads of new systems, the graphics engine was greatly improved and it'll probably feature newer 1P content. But people don't realise that.

People here complain that without any change to the balance it should not be a new disk, but why bother changing a good stable thing which may ruin the new system and badly affect player base. Also you can keep all your training and match-up exp this way while exploring new mechanic, new characters, new looks, new story, isn't that better?

I am trying to figure out why people think of Revelator as BBCPEX to BBCP.

It's more like BBCF to BBCP.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah this is a terrible comparison.

CPEX had actual new content of substance!

Okay but in all seriousness yeah it's not really comparable.  Extend is an update while Revelator is an expansion.

Edited by Poultrygeist

Yeah this is a terrible comparison.

CPEX had actual new content of substance!

Okay but in all seriousness yeah it's not really comparable.  Extend is an update while Revelator is an expansion.

You managed to play the console version of Revelator ?

I am impressed!

Why are people still talking about consoles. ArcSys already announced which consoles wil get Xrd-R, what's left to debate.

Anyways I'm curious about people's opnions on Jack'O and especially Johnny's return, compared to his #R, AC, ACR counter parts. Also why does Karinchu keep changing mains?

Why are people still talking about consoles. ArcSys already announced which consoles wil get Xrd-R, what's left to debate.

Anyways I'm curious about people's opnions on Jack'O and especially Johnny's return, compared to his #R, AC, ACR counter parts. Also why does Karinchu keep changing mains?

Karinchou was originally a Johnny player from the very beginning.

Arc System Works Universe, the oversea department of ASW, published a lengthy patch note list of the 1.01 and 1.02 patch for -Revelator- on their Facebook page:

For those that are curious about what's happening with Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator- here's an English translation of what's been changed in the Arcade Location Test Version 1.02
Ver 1.02 Changes
▼General
・Updated to display version “1.02”.
・The range limit of the “Dramatic Finale” when both characters use an attack at low health, has been shortened.
・Fixed a bug where activating Sin’s “Beak Driver” after a high jump would make it impossible to use a normal jump afterwards.
・Fixed a bug during Elphelt’s “Judge Better Half” hit animation where both characters would receive projectile effects.
・Fixed a bug when, while aiming Elphelt’s “Miss Travailler”, the “Pine Berry” throw animation is interrupted, it loses the ability to self-destruct.
・Johnny’s invulnerability time when using back step has been slightly reduced.
・Jam’s invulnerability time when using back step has been slightly reduced.
・Jam’s ground throw and aerial throw damage bonus has been increased.
・Fixed a bug where, when Jam’s ground throw stage 2 misses, she would take hits in unnatural positions.
・Fixed a bug where, when Jam’s aerial throw connects at minimum altitude, she becomes uncontrollable.
・Fixed a bug where certain quests in Episode Mode could not be completed. Details will be mentioned further below.
・Some typos have been corrected.
Ver 1.01 Changes
▼General
・Updated to display version “1.01”.
・”Jam Kuradoberi” is now a playable character. She can be selected in all modes, but she does not have unique events in Episode Mode.
・A new mode, “M.O.M Mode” has been added.
・During Episode Mode, pressing the Start button while the attack button is held will now not open the pause menu.
・Updated the confirmation message asking if the player would like to use previous settings, when using an Aime Card.
・Corrected some typos and omissions.
▼Battle
・Modified the light effect when a Dust Attack activates.
・Concerning Millia’s prone down status, the damage determination time before hitting the ground has been slightly increased.
・Slayer’s battle voices have all been increased in volume.
・Fixed a bug where, when Slayer’s “Pile Bunker” and “Dead on Time” activate after inputting a high jump, it would become impossible to use a normal jump afterwards.
・Concerning I-No’s prone down status, fixed a bug where the appearance and actual position were extremely different. No changes have been made to the damage determination time.
・Fixed a bug where after Ramlethal activates “Trance”, the behavior of her greatsword would become unnatural. This change slightly alters the nature of her abilities, and is now easier to knock back horizontally.
・The invulnerability time during Ramlethal and Leo’s Burst Awoken Specials has been corrected, they are now invulnerable until the attack activates.
・Fixed a bug where Elphelt’s standing HS extra attack input time and performance would fluctuate.
・When inputting Elphelt’s “Miss Travailler” from “Pine Berry” at high speed, the input of “Miss Travailler” has now been prioritized over “Judge Better Half”.
・Fixed a bug where Jack-O’s battle voices could be interrupted by servants.
・Concerning Jack-O’s face-up down status, fixed a bug where the hit determination was unnaturally off from the actual position.
・Fixed a bug where Jack-O’s ground version of “Forever Elysion Driver” would be able to hit an opponent who was unnaturally distant in the vertical direction.

Sweet they fixed the typos.  I was waiting for them to fix winquotes as Slayer would "say" one thing and what was written was something else.

I wonder if balance is getting touched, also when is 1.02 being implemented then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You shouldn't wonder about balance adjustments for the rest of the cast until Jam has officially been out(not loketest sessions) for a while. Probably won't see them until early next year or with a new character.

Some people here seem to think that localizing a game doesn't take that much time, but having been working in the game localization industry for several years now I can tell you that the localization process is far from being an easy and quick task, especially for a medium-sized developer such as Arcsys.

Simply translating a game the size of Xrd should take at the very least 2 full months (wild guess on my part here) to be done properly. Many game companies especially in Japan underestimate the time needed for a proper translation and cut this time period to say, a mere 1 month. This of course leaves less time for a proper proofreading and only brings more problems for later, thus delaying the whole thing even more. I don't believe Arcsys is any different (although they may have done things differently for Xrd) and even big companies who should know enough about localization often come up with completely retarded impossible deadlines for translating their game, which means having to use 5, 6, 7 or more translators and several proofreaders just to complete the job on time with all the problems that ensue.

Anyway, once your game is translated you can't simply release it like that. You need to "debug" the localized version of your game that is to say having native speakers of the translated language check the implemented text of the game for text overflows, implementation errors or context mistakes. When the translators work on the translation, they don't necessarily have access to the game and don't always know where the text they are translating will be used and how long it should be, and even if they do they don't have time to check this for every single line. This is why such problems have to be fixed at this step no matter what. Add to this the fact that the writing style is probably very different in some parts due to having used many translators, and that some typos or grammar errors have probably slipped in, and you have even more things to fix during debug.

The above mentioned translation bugs need to be reported to the developers, who then have to fix them and update the version of the game, and then the native testers have to check again in-game that every bug they reported have been fixed. This process can drag on for weeks or months, especially since fixing some problems can sometimes create other problems elsewhere.

Then once your game is "ready" you have to send the rom to Sony for review, and these guys are absolutely unforgiving if you don't respect their terminology rules for Playstation-related terminology to the letter. Failing to pass the review can delay the game some more, which means that in any case you need at some point to spend some more time just checking very thoroughly if the Playstation terminology has been properly adhered to throughout the game.

And in the case of Europe, this is even worse, because you need to do this for a lot more languages. Some countries in Europe just require that you localize the game in their language to release it there. I believe you can get around that somehow with a digital release but I'm not even entirely sure. Oh and you also pretty much need to have a publisher for the countries in which you want to release the game, and to localize at the very least for digital release the store description in each language in Europe that is supported by the PSN (IIRC, English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Polish, Finnish, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Turkish). So here it is... Now you know why Xrd still isn't even really entirely released in Europe. lol For many developers this is just too daunting of a task.

Anyway that's my two cents, but just to say that localization is something that takes time to be done properly. Although for the case of Xrd in particular, considering that they managed to release their game in English almost simultaneously with the Japanese, I'm pretty sure that they are taking the localization of this game very seriously and that there shouldn't be too much worry about Revelator. (at least for North America that is, Europe will probably end up getting screwed as usual lol)

Edited by Dream Maker