Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

Some people here seem to think that localizing a game doesn't take that much time, but having been working in the game localization industry for several years now I can tell you that the localization process is far from being an easy and quick task, especially for a medium-sized developer such as Arcsys.

Simply translating a game the size of Xrd should take at the very least 2 full months (wild guess on my part here) to be done properly. Many game companies especially in Japan underestimate the time needed for a proper translation and cut this time period to say, a mere 1 month. This of course leaves less time for a proper proofreading and only brings more problems for later, thus delaying the whole thing even more. I don't believe Arcsys is any different (although they may have done things differently for Xrd) and even big companies who should know enough about localization often come up with completely retarded impossible deadlines for translating their game, which means having to use 5, 6, 7 or more translators and several proofreaders just to complete the job on time with all the problems that ensue.

Anyway, once your game is translated you can't simply release it like that. You need to "debug" the localized version of your game that is to say having native speakers of the translated language check the implemented text of the game for text overflows, implementation errors or context mistakes. When the translators work on the translation, they don't necessarily have access to the game and don't always know where the text they are translating will be used and how long it should be, and even if they do they don't have time to check this for every single line. This is why such problems have to be fixed at this step no matter what. Add to this the fact that the writing style is probably very different in some parts due to having used many translators, and that some typos or grammar errors have probably slipped in, and you have even more things to fix during debug.

The above mentioned translation bugs need to be reported to the developers, who then have to fix them and update the version of the game, and then the native testers have to check again in-game that every bug they reported have been fixed. This process can drag on for weeks or months, especially since fixing some problems can sometimes create other problems elsewhere.

Then once your game is "ready" you have to send the rom to Sony for review, and these guys are absolutely unforgiving if you don't respect their terminology rules for Playstation-related terminology to the letter. Failing to pass the review can delay the game some more, which means that in any case you need at some point to spend some more time just checking very thoroughly if the Playstation terminology has been properly adhered to throughout the game.

And in the case of Europe, this is even worse, because you need to do this for a lot more languages. Some countries in Europe just require that you localize the game in their language to release it there. I believe you can get around that somehow with a digital release but I'm not even entirely sure. Oh and you also pretty much need to have a publisher for the countries in which you want to release the game, and to localize at the very least for digital release the store description in each language in Europe that is supported by the PSN (IIRC, English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Polish, Finnish, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Turkish). So here it is... Now you know why Xrd still isn't even really entirely released in Europe. lol For many developers this is just too daunting of a task.

Anyway that's my two cents, but just to say that localization is something that takes time to be done properly. Although for the case of Xrd in particular, considering that they managed to release their game in English almost simultaneously with the Japanese, I'm pretty sure that they are taking the localization of this game very seriously and that there shouldn't be too much worry about Revelator. (at least for North America that is, Europe will probably end up getting screwed as usual lol)

The Europe part is something really worries me: why do they need their games to be released in so many languages? Isn't English just enough? (and English is not my mothern language).

It's very possible. My memories from being a tester are hazy but I do remember SCEE (Sony's Europe Division) is a lot stricter than SCEA in general about things (Probably because of a lot of badly done localizations in the distant past).

It's very possible. My memories from being a tester are hazy but I do remember SCEE (Sony's Europe Division) is a lot stricter than SCEA in general about things (Probably because of a lot of badly done localizations in the distant past).

One thing is being strict aboung localizations for one language, but for many languages is a completely different story.

Oh, if it's not EU LAW, but Sony law, they should just make it possible to release english only versions in EU as well - with a huge warning somewhere, because in germany there are lots of people that want their stuff in german and flip if it's not available.... well, screw them, get those games over here!
Still waiting for +R i think...

It could be both or either. It could be EU law and/or it could be something Sony has decided is a requirement for them to deem a game to be of sufficient quality to put their stamp of approval on. I've never been to Europe before so I don't really know how big of a deal it is to expect people in France, Germany, Italy and Spain to be ok with just English.

It's kind of both... I don't think all the countries in Europe have that requirement but France for example has the Toubon Law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toubon_Law) and others probably have the same kind of thing.

And yeah SCEE's regulations are also a pain in the ass for the reasons I explained above. Plus Sony terminology for the same language can also change sometimes depending on the region (Britsh English vs American English, French vs Canadian French, etc...).

Oh, if it's not EU LAW, but Sony law, they should just make it possible to release english only versions in EU as well - with a huge warning somewhere, because in germany there are lots of people that want their stuff in german and flip if it's not available.... well, screw them, get those games over here!Still waiting for +R i think...

Atm the only non-import way to play +R in Europe is through Steam.

It is enough if the in-game text is in English. If it would be an EU law or something like that, every indie developer or publisher like Revolver Digital could publish their games only in the UK, which is only a tenth of the possible customers (if you consider that every resident of Europe is a potential customer).
Currently they are 13573 games available on Steam. However, of these games only 2331 are containing German text/language. If any kind of regulation exist, be it either EU wide or only specific countries, the catalogue of the available games would shrink dramatically and this would hurt both customer and publisher/developer. But not only games, every pop culture media would be affected by such a law. Sorry, but it is just insane to even think about that.

The only reason why many games of the PS1/PS2 era contained more than English was because SCEE wanted to target as many customers as possible, even if the quality of the localisation of smaller games was disastrous. Gladly they realized that a bad localisation rather hurts their image than fill their wallets. But like Antaiseito already mentioned many (casual) customers would not buy a product if it does not contain their native tongue, so (big) publisher try to translate their products into as many languages as possible.

However, ASW is not one of the big guys in this hard business; their products are from a niche genre which has a niche fanbase. They tried it with Calamity Trigger, Continuum Shift and earlier Guilty Gears until they realised it. (BTW, CT and CS contained English and Japanese voices. Only the written content was translated). Doubtfully they try it again with -SIGN-, even if it is kind of a big opportunity for them because of the big media turmoil they gained because of Xrd's art style. The reason why it takes so long for them is unknown.

It's kind of both... I don't think all the countries in Europe have that requirement but France for example has the Toubon Law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toubon_Law) and others probably have the same kind of thing.

To be honest, I have no idea how the situation in France is, but I know that at least in German speaking territories nearly every game which has a retail release has at least their back page in German, even ones from the smallest publisher (for example Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2) It roughly explains the content, what is necessary to play it and even has a sign which languages are available [right under "Playstation TV-kompatibel"]. Oh, and before anyone asks why HDN R;B2: I couldn't find a more "appropriate" example.

Even in France games still come out in English despite the Toubon Law with only localization of manuals and promotional materials, especially for digital platforms such as Steam. But strictly speaking they should be localized in French.

I don't know why many games are still released in English despite this, maybe they just don't bother suing the publishers who don't respect the law since there are many, or maybe some EU law overrides it somehow. Anyway some publishers like EA for example interpret the law very strictly and never release non localized games or contents in France.

Also, not directly law-related, but not releasing a game in French can actually be a big deal for many of the French player base. Not for the fighting hardcore game fans of Guilty Gear of course, but attracting other people to the game is difficult without a localization. Just guessing here, but the hardcore player base alone probably won't sell the game well, so they also have to consider the cost of localization and/or local publishing vs the potential benefit they can get.

Edited by Dream Maker

Solid trailer, I guess they can't do something more with the console release so far.

Yeah, definitely was just a trailer to let you know it's coming. Still nice tho.

I wonder if balance is getting touched, also when is 1.02 being implemented then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

most likely it will follow the current trend, once all the new characters are implemented in the arcade ie the new poll character. Console characters to arcade patch with all the changes.

Why does it feels like the arcade is for testing system changes while the console release is design to test character balance.

The gameplay on the TGS trailer looks like what I assumed the PS3 version will be. It doesn't appear to have any dynamic lighting or fancy new special effects at all. Either that, or they're in the early stage of porting the new stuff over to the console version. Either way, looks good. 

Is the purple-eye guy Raven?

Here's the video uploaded by ASW with English subtitles.

Is the purple-eye guy Raven?

That's Slayer, but the one that appears to be talking with him seems to be really Raven, not that surprising though since That Man and Slayer already know each other for a long time.

That's Slayer, but the one that appears to be talking with him seems to be really Raven, not that surprising though since That Man and Slayer already know each other for a long time.

Look at the hand, its Zato.

Here's the video uploaded by ASW with English subtitles.

Aria is ... Justice ?