Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

So this is kind of unrelated to the discussion but I thought It'd also be important.

I checked on the wiki for the 1.1 patches changes and there a couple characters missing their changelogs. I think it's just Ramlethal, Sin Kiske, Leo and Elphelt?

I don't play XRD that much myself but I think that it'd be a good idea to post the changes there too so someone "new" to the game doesn't have to dig in 4 different subforums (or find the original posts in this thread about the changes) to find out what's different about the characters this time around.

Sorry for interrupting the discussion. Here's the link to the page I've mentioned: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Guilty_Gear_Xrd_-SIGN-_1.10_patch_notes

On 10/30/2015, 11:42:38, Blade said:

You mean the "Problem" of the gap between JP and U.S. releases?

They say it's a "problem" but they're not exactly doing anything everything they can to solve it, especially if you're from Europe (not to sound cynical or anything).

I suppose it can be argued that because "Sign" and "Revelator" don't have much in the way of major changes that there isn't much 'new' to learn besides new characters, so the time it takes for people to pick Revelator up wouldn't be so bad, but even so there is a gap of time.  Not only that but it doesn't account for the new changes made to BlazBlue: Central Fiction (which DOES have changes).

Fixed that for you.  At this point digital distribution IMO completely undermines almost every argument against why a game cannot be simultaneously distributed worldwide.  Hell, for most people to be satisfied with a release all that would really need to happen would be to localize the menus and maybe if it's really super important add subtitles to cut-scenes and/or story mode.  It really feels like ASW is scared of changing how they do things and, I guess, that's fine for them but they also shouldn't be surprised when the results at tournaments skew so heavily in favor of the audience that they favor.

On 11/3/2015, 2:31:22, Nobus3r1 said:

Fixed that for you.  At this point digital distribution IMO completely undermines almost every argument against why a game cannot be simultaneously distributed worldwide.  Hell, for most people to be satisfied with a release all that would really need to happen would be to localize the menus and maybe if it's really super important add subtitles to cut-scenes and/or story mode.  It really feels like ASW is scared of changing how they do things and, I guess, that's fine for them but they also shouldn't be surprised when the results at tournaments skew so heavily in favor of the audience that they favor.

At least they're working with Aksys Games to do something about making their content comprehensible and bringing that content overseas.  That's almost 10x more than anything they ever used to do back when Sega was in charge of their IP.  They're probably scared because it's the first time they've been in charge of their own product after such a long time and want everything to go smoothly.  Once they get used to doing this, things will come out faster, I think.  Just gotta stay optimistic.

10 hours ago, This Man said:

Revelator character usage (screen grab from jonio's stream).

Surprises for me - Potemkin no.9 and Bedman so low.

Usage =/= Skill.  There be some killer Bedmans out yonder.  Scrub Sols should be expected.

6 hours ago, youcanwonder said:

I was hopin for some kinda announcement over halloween...oh well lol

Halloween Colors, based on what I saw (I think Elphelt and Jack-O' players were already using them in the stream).  Orange Pumpkin colors I think.

1 hour ago, Blade said:

Usage =/= Skill.  There be some killer Bedmans out yonder.  Scrub Sols should be expected.

Not sure why you felt the need to say that, but yeah, no sh!t.

I was just posting it for information's sake. My comments were to do with how popular I perceived he characters to be before I seen the actual usage. And Bedman seemed plenty popular. Potemkin not so much.

Are you kidding me? Nobody plays Bedman. Because Bedman is for nerds and naruto fans.

Everyone plays Sol, because he is cool. That's a fact.

I'm assuming the 3 new characters play rates are high because they are new and being tried out. Part of me expected Leo, Faust and Zato to be a little higher though.

5 hours ago, Blade said:

At least they're working with Aksys Games to do something about making their content comprehensible and bringing that content overseas.  That's almost 10x more than anything they ever used to do back when Sega was in charge of their IP.  They're probably scared because it's the first time they've been in charge of their own product after such a long time and want everything to go smoothly.  Once they get used to doing this, things will come out faster, I think.  Just gotta stay optimistic.

I actually just looked at the release dates for the entirety of the series and assuming I can count, the gap between the arcade release and the console release for Xrd was the second longest that any Guilty Gear game has ever had.  That, combined with the fact that we don't actually have a release date for Revelator makes it very difficult for me to believe that they're giving serious consideration to changing how they do things.  I mean I and I assume pretty much everyone but the Japanese players who treat non-Japanese events like the free money they are would likely appreciate a change in release practices but I don't really see that happening.

@This Man: I was pointing it out to anyone who easily confuses a Usage % List with a Tier List.  Because it's important to know that, even if you already knew that.

@Sergeant Dull: Chipp is for Naruto fans, I have no idea why people think Bedman has anything to do with Naruto.  Also, a beginner is going to play Sol because he's the first guy you learn in Tutorial, not because he's just "cool".  People pick who they want to pick.

@Nobus3r1: Sure, the release dates were closer together back when GG was bare bones, that should be obvious.  GGXrd has a lot of content (maybe not as much as BlazBlue, but still a lot), and the first game "Sign" took a lot of work for them to figure out how to make the game in the first place, so it SHOULD be obvious it took the longest time between games.  I mean, if you think about it, GG2 looks nowhere near as pretty as Xrd does, so of course they worked on it more.  Now that the groundwork foundation of Xrd is taken care of, the next game shouldn't take as long (Spring 2016 for U.S.), same should also go for any consecutive games IN this series.

I mean think about it:

GG1 > Playstation
GGX Series > PS2, Didn't take long between sequels (GGX was bare bones), probably the longest one coming was ACPlusR because of the roster/content fixes.
GG2 > Came after Accent Core, but Accent Core Plus (Story Mode) came later.
GGXrd (Series) > PS3 First one took a while to come out, but consecutives shouldn't be a big deal unless you live in Europe.

Seriously, just because we don't have a solid date doesn't mean their projected date won't happen.  Spring 2016 is pretty generous if you ask me.

13 hours ago, Sergeant Dull said:

Are you kidding me? Nobody plays Bedman. Because Bedman is for nerds and naruto fans.

Everyone plays Sol, because he is cool. That's a fact.

I'm assuming the 3 new characters play rates are high because they are new and being tried out. Part of me expected Leo, Faust and Zato to be a little higher though.

Every single Guilty Gear character is for nerds, dorks and losers.  If we were cool we would be palying Mortal Kombat or Smash, but instead we're sitting at the lunch table that none of the popular kids want to touch.  But hey, at least we aren't Virtua Fighter players #kappa

2 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

Every single Guilty Gear character is for nerds, dorks and losers.  If we were cool we would be palying Mortal Kombat or Smash, but instead we're sitting at the lunch table that none of the popular kids want to touch.  But hey, at least we aren't Virtua Fighter players #kappa

Don't be such a miserable git, Guilty Gear is one of the best stylised games out there. None of the characters are for nerds. Maybe I should have added /s at the end of that post.

Also Blade, about my Sol comment, that was also satire against the entire conversation that was happening there. I think the play rates of characters is fairly self explanatory, you don't need a thesis on it.

18 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

but i'm a Badguy

On 11/5/2015, 11:48:03, Sergeant Dull said:

Don't be such a miserable git, Guilty Gear is one of the best stylised games out there. None of the characters are for nerds. Maybe I should have added /s at the end of that post.

Also Blade, about my Sol comment, that was also satire against the entire conversation that was happening there. I think the play rates of characters is fairly self explanatory, you don't need a thesis on it.

Do note the #Kappa in Poultrygeist's post.  Sarcasm intended.

Only people who don't give a crap about GG make fun of it or say it's for nerds.

Also satire doesn't work on the internet.

Also I do theses on GG all day because nobody gets it.  I have to explain everything because nobody gets it (or cares to).

Get it?

Probably not.

On 11/5/2015, 12:43:02, Blade said:

@Nobus3r1: Sure, the release dates were closer together back when GG was bare bones, that should be obvious.  GGXrd has a lot of content (maybe not as much as BlazBlue, but still a lot), and the first game "Sign" took a lot of work for them to figure out how to make the game in the first place, so it SHOULD be obvious it took the longest time between games.  I mean, if you think about it, GG2 looks nowhere near as pretty as Xrd does, so of course they worked on it more.  Now that the groundwork foundation of Xrd is taken care of, the next game shouldn't take as long (Spring 2016 for U.S.), same should also go for any consecutive games IN this series.

I mean think about it:

GG1 > Playstation
GGX Series > PS2, Didn't take long between sequels (GGX was bare bones), probably the longest one coming was ACPlusR because of the roster/content fixes.
GG2 > Came after Accent Core, but Accent Core Plus (Story Mode) came later.
GGXrd (Series) > PS3 First one took a while to come out, but consecutives shouldn't be a big deal unless you live in Europe.

Seriously, just because we don't have a solid date doesn't mean their projected date won't happen.  Spring 2016 is pretty generous if you ask me.

Firstly, the bolded part makes no sense in the context of what we're talking about, which is the gap between the arcade release and the console release, something that the actual development time of the game has no real bearing on (i.e. I don't care how much of a gap there was betwen AC+R and Xrd).  The part that I italicized is the only thing that should really have an effect on how long it takes to localize.  Which kind of undermines the 'groundwork is done' so Revelator will be released sooner as unless the game drops on literally the first day of spring (March 20, 2016) then the gap between the arcade and console release is going to skew towards the longer gap between arcade and console versions that I, for one, am already expecting (my expectation is an April or May release date followed by the Japanese bodying fools at Evo).  Also the underlined part doesn't really make sense either.  We have a season, not a date so there is merely a range to speculate on with regards to where the release will fall with the hope that it doesn't turn into Summer 2016 and we end up with either Sign at Evo again or Xrd getting dropped from the lineup.

The gap between arcade and console versions of Xrd is still significant because they're basically converting everything that was in the Arcade version in to a PS3 and PS4 version AND adding new content to boot.  That takes time, and given PS3 was initially hard to develop for... a lot longer than you'd think.

Even in Revelator's case, even with a "foundation", they still have to make sure everything that needs fixing GETS fixed while adding whatever they have planned for the Console version.  Still going to take time.

Oh yeah and they're working on BlazBlue Central Fiction while doing this AT THE SAME TIME.

That's a lot on the schedule to juggle, so be sensible.

Even if we don't have a solid date, they're shooting for Spring, which is what they said they'd do.  If they don't make it, it's not going to kill people to wait.

I waited for ACPlusR patch, I can wait for Revelator.

If you don't want to get pwned by Japanese players at EVO so badly, learn your mains (unless you plan on maining Revelator exclusive characters, which I doubt will be supported at EVO anyway).

18 hours ago, Blade said:

1) The gap between arcade and console versions of Xrd is still significant because they're basically converting everything that was in the Arcade version in to a PS3 and PS4 version AND adding new content to boot.  That takes time, and given PS3 was initially hard to develop for... a lot longer than you'd think.

2) Even in Revelator's case, even with a "foundation", they still have to make sure everything that needs fixing GETS fixed while adding whatever they have planned for the Console version.  Still going to take time.

3) Oh yeah and they're working on BlazBlue Central Fiction while doing this AT THE SAME TIME.

4) That's a lot on the schedule to juggle, so be sensible.

5) Even if we don't have a solid date, they're shooting for Spring, which is what they said they'd do.  If they don't make it, it's not going to kill people to wait.

6) I waited for ACPlusR patch, I can wait for Revelator.

7) If you don't want to get pwned by Japanese players at EVO so badly, learn your mains (unless you plan on maining Revelator exclusive characters, which I doubt will be supported at EVO anyway).

1) Decent ports (i.e. not Ubisoft, Capcom, NRS, etc.) happen all of the time and in a hell of a lot less time than we're talking about here.

2) Given how little has been changed it shouldn't take that much time. 

3) I'm pretty sure that's not how these things go.  Usually there are separate teams working on separate projects.

4) See #3

5) You're correct that it's not going to kill people to wait but given the fact that they're going to be competing with SFV not having a solid release date might kill the scene.

6) I'm glad you don't mind getting jerked around by a publisher.  Some of us do.

7) Wanting something and actually getting it are two different things.  I'm pretty good at martial arts but if you told me I had to fight Fabricio Werdum I might not want to get beaten up but I'm pretty sure that it's going happen regardless of my wishes.  The Japanese players have an incredible head start on this game and an ambiguous release date isn't helping close that gap.

I'm kinda surprised at Jack-O being top 5 in the usage list tbh. But then again so are Johnny and Jam so it's probably new character hype (plus Johnny is good sooooooooo)

1 hour ago, Destin said:

Can we stop talking about this and resume conversation about dizzy?

I hope the pizza cutter (j.2S) makes it in but I'm not holding my breath.  

On 11/5/2015, 10:36:35, Poultrygeist said:

Mortal Kombat is gross  and unappealing ( seriously why do Americans think they can make fighting games ?  lol) as for Smash in my eyes its not real hard core its just a fun little party game nothing to take serious    

@Nobus: I don't entirely agree with your point. But the fact that a fellow GG old man would mention Werdum (or any obscure MMA/UFC champ) makes me think we now have to be Dustloop best buddies.

5 hours ago, BladeOfJustice7 said:

This thread tho...

Am I the only one who finds Jam underwhelming compared to her AC/ACR versions. @ GG vets, how was she in #R and slash?

Everyone find her underwhelming. Because she is.