Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

9 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

So they put Raven on the poll

And then put him in the game?

Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's finally playable but I can't help but question what exactly was going on with that poll.

Naturally, we'll never know for sure, but I personally feel that Raven winning the poll would simply mean that they would choose the last Revelator character on their own. Or take the one that took second place, which can still be seen as them picking the character on their own. Or they just didn't have any faith in Raven to begin with, since he was only playable in Overture, which little to no one cares about, and veteran players are more likely to care about the characters that were taken out in Xrd.

Cool, I've always been interested in how Raven would play, though I can't help but feel what we're getting now is possibly vastly different from what we would've got a decade ago.

Interested in seeing what transfers over from Overture since Sin had a nice convergence.

On the unnecessary subject of the poll:

IMO the poll was slight of hand, but that might just be my own distrust of such "competitions". I believe ARC was confident in a range of results (especially coming off of the popularity poll a few years back and the unfulfilled teases of SIGN's story). At the very least everyone on the poll probably had a gameplay design doc full ready for implementation and they just developed the ones they were already doing, feeling assured a set amount of results were already going to fall in their favor. Not that we can honestly judge the validity of the tallies, even with the tracker.

11 minutes ago, SolxBaiken said:

Cool, I've always been interested in how Raven would play, though I can't help but feel what we're getting now is possibly vastly different from what we would've got a decade ago.

Interested in seeing what transfers over from Overture since Sin had a nice convergence.

Judging from the scan he does have the "take a hit" move Pachi mentioned when he talked about each character in the poll. Looks like the move can be followed up in two ways. Though that's just my guess. I never played Overture, but from the sounds of Pachi, it seems like he wanted Raven to have a similar playstyle to his Overture counterpart.

raven.PNG.f4a8a407be6b56d5fc64aab0aaeb0f

If he joined the cast?

In Guilty Gear 2 Raven had a style to fluster the opponent by attacking the opponent from long range with projectiles, slowing them, and attacking them from behind. I think in GGXrd with the addition of some updates he would be able to do so at mid range. And fitting with his personality, I’d like to give him a move where he intentionally takes the attacks.

Maybe his masochism Gauge simply functions as a Revenge Gauge/X Factor giving Raven his own special comeback mechanic? Would be pretty cool.

And holy shit his giant belts look epic welcome home buddy

On 16.2.2016 at 3:18 PM, Jocelot said:

Maybe his masochism Gauge simply functions as a Revenge Gauge/X Factor giving Raven his own special comeback mechanic? Would be pretty cool.

Magazine leaks say that,
"Raven's characteristic is the long reach of his attacks. However, his biggest feature is that by taking damage during his special attack 'Hit me there' accumulates a special meter. That meter can be used to boost his other attacks. Health management will be more crucial than with other characters."
(Not really sure how to translate ここにされたい well enough, so that the message gets across..."I wish you'd hit me there" is just too long...)

EDIT: Screenshot in lower right part seems to shows a Special called "Schmelz Berg" (シュメルツ・ベルク) which was one of Raven's moves in GG2. Other moves seem like new ones based on what you can make out of the names in this low quality preview picture.

Move names are:
Gerd Leier (ゲルトライヤー)
Backen Zweig (バッケン・ツヴァイク)
Schmelz Berg (シュメルツ・ベルク)
And then there's a picture of his airdash (空中ダッシュ)

EDIT: Fixed a typo. Thanks, Tokkan.

6 hours ago, George Costanza said:

So they put Raven on the poll

And then put him in the game?

Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's finally playable but I can't help but question what exactly was going on with that poll.

The poll was to determine one of the console Revelator characters, which turned out to be Dizzy. It was never meant to be anything else, and you absolutely should not expect them to release future characters in their order of popularity from that poll. It'll probably factor into future decisions, but it's not going to get in the way of them doing what they want to do. And, frankly, they're bound to withhold some of the popular characters to use as selling points for later installments.

1 minute ago, youcanwonder said:

So we have the 6 news chars...what u guys thinking..any surprises at launch???

Wouldn't count on it, unless you like being disappointed.

Anyway, really glad to see Raven finally make it into a proper Guilty Gear fighting game, and glad that they're incorporating his personality and story into his fighting style. He really is Revelator's Sin: an Overture transplant on-disc DLC character with a revamped moveset and a unique subsystem.

2 hours ago, Jakestation said:

Sounds like he is just aba 2.0. "spending hp" you hit harder and its most likely possibility to regen some hp back.

Don't think that's quite right, from my understanding, Raven only build his special meter from being hit during a specific action. This already greatly separates him from A.B.A as this means the move likely acts sort of like a "counter" or (more likely) something with either super armor or auto guard properties.

If anything, conceptually, he sounds closer to Painwheel from Skullgirls and even that is a stretch.

Also the comment about HP management makes me ponder if ARC is bold enough to make a self inflicting charcter without a means of recovery. If anything I'm hoping for a move where he can hurt himself to raise his gauge as only through a certain move sounds like it could land on either side of the balance spectrum. Also hoping the enhancements come in more forms than a simple damage buff (would like to see something like Kamui's 22+X from Arcana Heart )

I'd also like to see them do something with his GUTS rating; either naturally (give him highest value, even beyond Potemkin) or through the use of his gauge (low or below average natural rating but can raise it significantly). Both to coincide with his motif and to balance out requiring him to be hit on purpose (generally the antithesis of fighters)

Also saying he'd be "just" an A.B.A substitute is quite silly. Look at Sin, people thought he was just going to be Order Sol and the two couldn't be more different. (#gunblaze2k16plz)

Well, there he is, besides another in-game model appearance like Sin was guessed here more a plenty, I mean, yeah, being playable in Overtrue was something, to an actual fighter, this is something to see.

And yeah, there's Dizzy, I mean, something, even as a silhouette, at least there's news of her now, until her actual model appears.

1 hour ago, Suzaku said:

The poll was to determine one of the console Revelator characters, which turned out to be Dizzy. It was never meant to be anything else, and you absolutely should not expect them to release future characters in their order of popularity from that poll.

Be that as it may, going with the character that came in 12th out of 16 barely managing to edge out Fanny and Dr. Paradigm still seems like an odd choice.

2 minutes ago, 9:02 PM said:

Be that as it may, going with the character that came in 12th out of 16 barely managing to edge out Fanny and Dr. Paradigm seems like an odd choice. 

Except that he's a pretty integral to the story they're trying to tell and was That Man's only lieutenant not playable in Revelator. I'd also actually say he did pretty well in the polls, considering how obscure he is compared to heavyweights like Baiken and Bridget. Though it's likely he was in the works even before they started the poll.

What some people may not know or seem to forget is that the poll was meant for characters people wanted to see in the arcades BEFORE console release. This was likely meant to include 1.) characters who were already in the works for the console version, 2.) veteran characters, 3.) fan service/wishlist-y characters, and whoever else. The first case can be seen as a "which planned character do you want to see first? (i.e., before console)" sorta deal, and the other cases are more like "which veteran character do you want to see in general?" sorta deal. Raven likely belongs to the first case. So in other words, no promises were broken; we just didn't get Raven in the arcades before consoles. On that note, Dizzy is implied to belong to the first case as well.

The introduction of the poll just seems to have sort of led many of us to assume things that were never said or implied.

The reason why Raven and other characters like him did so poorly is because their only playable appearance was in Overture.  If they had prior appearances in fighting games like the others they would have done much much better.  It's easy to tell when you want a fighting game vet back because you know their playstyle, but when they've only been in a spinoff (albeit a canon one) it's not so easy to tell, and all you can go off is what might be (based on Pachi's notes) or how you like their character/personality.

9 hours ago, Suzaku said:

The poll was to determine one of the console Revelator characters, which turned out to be Dizzy. It was never meant to be anything else, and you absolutely should not expect them to release future characters in their order of popularity from that poll. It'll probably factor into future decisions, but it's not going to get in the way of them doing what they want to do. And, frankly, they're bound to withhold some of the popular characters to use as selling points for later installments.

Wouldn't count on it, unless you like being disappointed..

No no, I meant if he was always planned to be in the game why put him on the poll?

Like SoWL said, maybe they just had THAT little faith in him winning. But it's still odd. What if he DID win the poll? Would we have gotten Dizzy or something?

Don't you think it would be suspicious if he wasn't on the poll?  Like, literally every playable character in all the canon GG games is on there except for one dude, that's going to raise some eyebrows for sure.

So... Uhm...

Dizzy got skinnier, her hair ribbons are way bigger now, wings got smaller (Range nerf confirmed) and her pigtails got long as hell. Loving the new design things that you can appreciate from the silhouette/tease.

6 hours ago, MX_Engellier said:

So... Uhm...

Dizzy got skinnier, her hair ribbons are way bigger now, wings got smaller (Range nerf confirmed) and her pigtails got long as hell. Loving the new design things that you can appreciate from the silhouette/tease.

Speaking of Dizzy's design, don't forget that we have the pachinko designs to compare it to. It doesn't seem to be too similar, but she seems to still have that weird wing clothing. Doesn't sound too practical with Necro and Undine constantly transforming back and forth.

21 hours ago, youcanwonder said:

So we have the 6 news chars...what u guys thinking..any surprises at launch???

Nah, this is already more than I anticipated tbh. I was expecting just 4 at launch so I'm more than satisfied with 6 overall. I'm just hoping we won't have to wait till June to see gameplay of Raven and Kum. 

Just now, jak d ripr said:

Nah, this is already more than I anticipated tbh. I was expecting just 4 at launch so I'm more than satisfied with 6 overall. I'm just hoping we won't have to wait till June to see gameplay of Raven and Kum. 

IIRC, there is an event on the 27th, to which Daisuke Ishiwatari will assist.