Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

In case someone thinks that Raven is not manly enough with his current design, don't forget that he's voiced by the same voice actor as Azrael. I think he's just fine.

Whenever I see you guys "discuss" the dated insecurities of "masculinity" I always think about the one true example of red hot manliness that Guilty Gear owes 50% of its existence to: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure . Then I think about the other half of the series' inspiration, rock n' roll culture dating back to the 70s.

I just chortle from the shadows at that point.

33 minutes ago, SolxBaiken said:

Whenever I see you guys "discuss" the dated insecurities of "masculinity" I always think about the one true example of red hot manliness that Guilty Gear owes 50% of its existence to: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure . Then I think about the other half of the series' inspiration, rock n' roll culture dating back to the 70s.

I just chortle from the shadows at that point.

Well, it's also hard to nail what "manly" is.

51 minutes ago, TekkamanArk said:

Well, it's also hard to nail what "manly" is.

Perhaps that was a bad word for me to use. But like I said I wasn't sure how to put my finger on it, so you're right about that. I'll just say that in the old design he looked older or more mature or something, and more imposing. But the general point is still that I just like the old design overall better.

Also man ya'll gotta calm down with this weird conspiracy shit. I'm not part of some squad of boogymen out to shit all over "modern anime" or "masculinity" or whatever. I'm just saying it feels weird to not get the kind of character design I was always "promised" for Raven back when I first saw him and thought "man, it'd be cool if he was playable." And if you don't think there's a big difference between this new Xrd design and his old X, XX, and even GG2 designs, well, that's fine for you I guess. But I see a difference.

My point seems to have gone over some heads, at the risk of (further) derailing this thread . . .

I simply tried to point out that GG is fully inspired by concepts of sexual ambiguity. I don't think most of you truly remember (know?) just how flamboyant nearly ever form of rock used to be.

It cannot be denied that Xrd is obviously taking cues from modern anime sensibilities; I mean, why wouldn't it? It has been a whole generation since the last true entry and the climate of the entertainment industry has changed drastically. I understand people's resistance to these shifts (hell, to a degree, I'm one of them) it's hard to overcome long ingrained nostalgia and the generational gap, but at the end of the day it's a moot point. We're simply arguing about semantics we have no control of for something that was not created nor developed for our regional tastes.

We should all just be happy GG is a thing that continues to exist (especially after all the legal fiasco). Things could have ended up much, Much, MUCH worse . . .

14 hours ago, Calamitus said:

It's not a theory, it's a retcon.

Based on Ishiwatari's comments in the GG2MC, he didn't even know that storyline was written into #R, since he said he doesn't remember ever setting anything like that up. The XX#R story modes were written by Kaihou Norimitsu, so it's possible he just went off the rails a bit.

Anyway, Kum Haehyun and Raven are going to be shown off at a meet & greet event at the Rakuten HQ on Feb 27: http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/portal/post-479/

1 hour ago, Suzaku said:

Anyway, Kum Haehyun and Raven are going to be shown off at a meet & greet event at the Rakuten HQ on Feb 27: http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/portal/post-479/

Nice, though I doubt we'll have either of them being playable at Anime Ascension (Aksys Tourney event) or not (Same weekend as the Rakuten event) and only have a demo build with only the baseline characters. (Previous Xrd cast along with Johnny, Jack-O, and Jam.)

Sweet, looking forward to the 27th. Can't wait to see Kum n Raven in action I hope Raven makes weird 'caw caw' noises

10 hours ago, Jocelot said:

Sweet, looking forward to the 27th. Can't wait to see Kum n Raven in action I hope Raven makes weird 'caw caw' noises

In Overture he used the infamous "HYOOOOUUU!" noise used by many anime and VG characters, but specifically Rei from Fist of the North Star/Hokuto no Ken and Vega (Claw) from SF. Should be close enough.

11 minutes ago, Vulcan422 said:

In Overture he used the infamous "HYOOOOUUU!" noise used by many anime and VG characters, but specifically Rei from Fist of the North Star/Hokuto no Ken and Vega (Claw) from SF. Should be close enough.

For a second I thought you were talking about Kum, lol.

3 hours ago, TD said:

How is Kum's name pronounced?

It is likely to be pronounced "koom." Although seeing as it appears to originate from Korean, I have no idea how to pronounce it in that particular language. Pretty sure a lot of people are/are going to be pronouncing it "come," though (which for a fact I know is wrong af).

1 hour ago, Jocelot said:

All I know is the in game announcer will definitely pronounce it as wrong as possible.

"P'chumkin"

2 hours ago, Darlos9D said:

"P'chumkin"

That's actually pretty close to the Russian pronunciation.

Then considering the Potemkin was a Russian battleship I believe...

1 hour ago, DaiAndOh said:

That's actually pretty close to the Russian pronunciation.

Then considering the Potemkin was a Russian battleship I believe...

Even if the t was pronounced like a "ch" it'd still sound like "Puhchemkin." Ain't no "chump" to be found. Unless we're talking current tier lists :(

EDIT: Hrm, perhaps it is I who is the chump. http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=potemkin

Then again maybe Ashimriat knows something I don't. I guess its more of a "cheum" sound than a flat "chem" or "chum" sound.

Not sure how long the mods are going to let this conversation go on for, but I think the [Russian] "t" in Potemkin seems similar to the way that "t" is sometimes pronounced in Portuguese* where it sounds something like a cross between the t-sound and the ch-sound. It's hard to conceptualize it if you don't speak Russian (or Portuguese like my example) as at least a first language, since people tend to think that pronunciation rules from their native language are the same in other languages. This is far from true. And then there's all the different dialects and blah blah blah...

* Example: The "t" in the Portuguese word caatinga.

Most of the times, wherever a new character is announced, I tend to see the character select roster to see how they will fit new characters and if it has space for more.

After Raven and Kum (Dizzy too) announcing I went to the official page, specifically, the characters (obviously), and after comparing how it works in-game, the console release will only have an option: Do a new design to fit everyone, which can give us hope to more characters come into the bay.