Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

11 minutes ago, Pomparomp said:

Who do you think is doing things "correctly?"

Honestly? Killer Instinct. It took a while to build up steam due to the small amount of initial content and lower install base on the Xbone, but a couple seasons and an amazing PC port later it's now one of the most fully featured and competent fighters out there. It also doesn't get the flack most other fighters do when it comes to updates because there's a variety of bundles to choose from, and the price points have always been reasonable.

ArcSys is a special case in terms of fighting game devs because Japanese arcades are still a very lucrative business for them and are adamant about staying in that market, while most other companies have moved on to prioritizing on console/PC.

4 hours ago, solidscheme said:

That's soooo inconsistent. It would've been fine if sign was the same, but they had English voices. Things like that can seriously hurt sales..

i remember this person stirring up a mess before with posts like these awhile back . /vg/ worthyness 

5 hours ago, solidscheme said:

That's soooo inconsistent. It would've been fine if sign was the same, but they had English voices. Things like that can seriously hurt sales.

Maybe that is the problem, the sales, of the first game. Is a fighting game not an RPG, I don't think that many people will care enough to the point of not buying the game because the lack of English dub.

As someone who uses English voices in all of his fighters, quite enjoyed the -SIGN- cast and even bought a couple of System Voices, since I could ACTUALLY understand them, I'm certainly a bit disappointed.  Especially since I was wondering who might play Jack-O' with her multiple personalities, but as others have said, it's not a deal-breaker by any means, so long as the text is in English, which it will be.  I'll just miss having the option for the sake of options.  Glad to hear Dizzy's abound midway through her development.  I've enjoyed the Valentines, I-No, Milia and Leo, but I'm ready to get my girl back!  Hope she'll be worth the wait.

I'm pretty heart broken to hear them remove the English dub from GGXrd completely. That really makes me sad. I was looking forward to the new character voices. English Dizzy for example was pretty good in Sign story line. Now we'll never hear it. Also, this is just a prelude of things to come. Next, BBCF will get the dub removed probably as well and BB's dub imo is exceptionally good. Not cool Arc System Works. I'd pay to have an English dub for DLC at this point. 

2 hours ago, HGhaleon said:

I'm pretty heart broken to hear them remove the English dub from GGXrd completely. That really makes me sad. I was looking forward to the new character voices. English Dizzy for example was pretty good in Sign story line. Now we'll never hear it. Also, this is just a prelude of things to come. Next, BBCF will get the dub removed probably as well and BB's dub imo is exceptionally good. Not cool Arc System Works. I'd pay to have an English dub for DLC at this point. 

what's the point of having a english dub for japanese game? Never used it... For me it's just a nuisance when I have to download the game on the japanese store... So i really hope they do the same for bbcf...

Because some of us buy English versions of games and like having the audio in the native language we speak?  Like I said, it's not the end of the world, but to ask why someone would want this seems a bit silly, especially when they broke series tradition and did it last time.

1 hour ago, antonymichiru said:

what's the point of having a english dub for japanese game? Never used it... For me it's just a nuisance when I have to download the game on the japanese store... So i really hope they do the same for bbcf...

I dislike the vast majority of the BB JP cast, so the day we get a BB with no dub is the day I keep the game muted. 

Dubbed BB started out so good. Then in CS2 people started getting recast and by CP almost ever character was voiced by Cristina Vee. I didn't even give the GG dub a chance. Wasn't going to let them break my heart again. :(

The fact that some of Capcom's recent fighters have contained multiple language tracks seems to have created the perception that dubs are now a standard feature in fighting games. As it pertains to GG specifically, however, I see Sign's dub as a bonus feature, as no other installment in the franchise (barring GG2, which was unique in a lot of ways) has been dubbed. You could make the argument that an English language track might have helped sell more copies of the older games, but the same could theoretically be said for any number of hypothetical features that could've been added. The point is that very few people have expressed an interest in Guilty Gear and then rejected it on the basis that the characters spoke Japanese.

An English language track for Revelator would've been nice to have if for no other reason than it'd make for another selling point outside of Japan, but I don't imagine it being a deal-breaker for 99.9% of the playerbase. So from a purely financial perspective, I'd say ASW made the right call not paying for a dub this time around.

The number of people who would refuse to buy a game for lacking a dub is probably similar to the number of people who refuse to buy one lacking the Japanese voice track.

i.e., not significant enough to impact sales.

3 hours ago, Epic said:

I'm surprised anyone actually liked Sign's English dub, as it was just plain terrible. 

Sean Connery Slayer, non-ear-bleed May, Axl with British accent, Johnny with Texan accent, etc. There were clear perks not to be found in the Japanese track.

No matter how bad a dub may ne (Signs wasn't even that bad) I will always use it just to understand everything. Without a dub, I won't understand battle quotes, and I am not happy about that.

1 hour ago, ___Chester___ said:

A doubt about trophies...

Crossroads
"Witnessed the Dramatic Finale."

What is it?

In Revelator, when both Players are at very low health (like "next hit wins") the camera will occasionally pause for a moment if they swing at each other at the same time, to emulate a "photo finish" effect.

It's actually my favorite addition lol

2 hours ago, werewolfgold said:

Sean Connery Slayer, non-ear-bleed May, Axl with British accent, Johnny with Texan accent, etc. There were clear perks not to be found in the Japanese track.

To you it's a 'perk', to me it's poorly done voice acting. But to each their own.

To you it's a 'perk', to me it's poorly done voice acting. But to each their own.

I mean, before you could have just ignored the English dub if you didn't like it but now I don't even have a choice. I had been listening to the Japanese dub since the first GG and it was cool to switch it up for once. Even if I didn't like all of the English voices. But, hell, I don't like all of the Japanese voices either.

I'm pretty crushed that there's no dub (and confused that this is happening after only one game) since it would have been fascinating to see the voices over time. For what it's worth they made it sound like it was more due to the practical scheduling mess rather than any critical reception.

To be perfectly honest, I feel ike Arc System Works has been shitting the bed with their localizations ever since Chronophantasma, when they moved localization in-house and started contracting Strangely Compelling instead of having Aksys Games do everything.

I recognize that dubbing is expensive and that the sales figures may not justify the cost, but whereas it always felt like Aksys was going above and beyond with the localizations, it now feels like Arc System Works is only interested in doing the absolute bare minimum. Which is a real shame, considering we've been getting pretty consistently dubbed ASW games for nearly a decade now, going back to GG2.

The dub wasn't perfect but it was mostly solid, and some of the characters were excellent. The most disappointing thing is that there's a shitload of dialogue in all the Guilty Gear games that isn't subtitled and so won't be translated. The number one reason to use the dub, IMO, was to be able to easily understand all the character banter during matches, not to mention the system voices.

I really, sincerely hope that they consider releasing a dub as DLC once the scripts for the DLC story episodes are finalized.

To be honest the dub being removed may be because of them being cost-effective to not having to keep scheduling and re-hiring the VA's based on how the dlc Episodes are done.  Getting in contact with VA's and getting them to  redo their roles may be hard too do depending the type of projects they may doing at the time.  I won't deny the dub getting mix responses compared to their other flagship title Blazblue may also played an hand on them getting a dub isn't worth it.

Don't care about eng dubs, as most of us non-english native speakers feel, so having them removed will save me the work of going to the options and re-enable the original voice work. I'd say something about the hilarious texts translations in Sign, but eh...

No big deal. 

40 minutes ago, Kyosuke Kagami said:

Don't care about eng dubs, as most of us non-english native speakers feel, so having them removed will save me the work of going to the options and re-enable the original voice work. I'd say something about the hilarious texts translations in Sign, but eh...

No big deal. 

The best option is always to have both languages available, but if there's no choice but to leave one out, then it's better to stick to the original one.