Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

13 hours ago, antonymichiru said:

what's the point of having a english dub for japanese game? Never used it... For me it's just a nuisance when I have to download the game on the japanese store... So i really hope they do the same for bbcf...

Speak for yourself. If you like Japanese voices, that's fine; but not everyone wants to hear it.

How would Street Fighter feel if everything just went into the Japanese language? Yoga Flame....in Japanese. Spinning Bird Kick....in Japanese. Cannon Drill....in Japanese. Sonic Boom....in Japanese.

They couldn't even do English voices for just the matches. I don't believe they're that hard up on cash. They've pretty much have said, F the rest of gaming market. Japanese customer/gamers are the only ones that matter. Take our scraps! Talking about money when they have zero problem trying rip money out of people for things that could easily be in the actual game from the start (freakin' colors). Well, they deserve to stay niche. You don't gain any ground alienating people.

5 hours ago, Epic said:

To you it's a 'perk', to me it's poorly done voice acting. But to each their own.

Better than non-Japanese characters speaking chaotic Japanese.

12 hours ago, White Man said:

The fact that some of Capcom's recent fighters have contained multiple language tracks seems to have created the perception that dubs are now a standard feature in fighting games. As it pertains to GG specifically, however, I see Sign's dub as a bonus feature, as no other installment in the franchise (barring GG2, which was unique in a lot of ways) has been dubbed. You could make the argument that an English language track might have helped sell more copies of the older games, but the same could theoretically be said for any number of hypothetical features that could've been added. The point is that very few people have expressed an interest in Guilty Gear and then rejected it on the basis that the characters spoke Japanese.

An English language track for Revelator would've been nice to have if for no other reason than it'd make for another selling point outside of Japan, but I don't imagine it being a deal-breaker for 99.9% of the playerbase. So from a purely financial perspective, I'd say ASW made the right call not paying for a dub this time around.

THIS series was supposed to be starting fresh remember? Changing up the complexity of the mechanics for new players. Adding tutorials designed for new players. Bringing in new players is going to be hard when you tell them the most common language on the planet is not worth it. "Just read the subtitles and if you don't understand what a character said in a match, maybe you can look it up if you know how to spell it."

18 hours ago, kosmos badgirl said:

Maybe that is the problem, the sales, of the first game. Is a fighting game not an RPG, I don't think that many people will care enough to the point of not buying the game because the lack of English dub.

There's a FULL story mode in this game. The characters are constantly talking during a match. Of coarse non-Japanese-speaking people will care. You think an American teenager who decides he/she wants to give air-dashers a chance and understand the world of Guilty Gear isn't going to feel disconnected? Them and their friends are playing a game with a foreign language taking priority. A game marketed to his/her region especially when his/her region is the biggest gaming market on the planet (potential growth)? Once again, English is the most common language on the planet. It seems Arc doesn't understand that fact yet. Their pride is showing.

Wow, their biggest mistake seems to have been trying out ENG dubs in the first place. If XRD were JAP only to begin with, there likely would not have been any problems or outcries from fans. Welp. Arc/Aksys, if you're viewing this thread, for future reference and success, make sure to avoid testing the waters or experimenting with new and/or different things, especially voice acting, 'kay?

GODSGARDEN had their usual stream on Revelator's release (featuring Kazunoko, Souji, Dogura and Machaboo) and they had troubles finding empty lobbies. All Tokyo lobbies were full (Kazunoko actually took out his phone to "screenshot" it), Osaka lobbies apparently had more people than all Sign lobbies combined back on its release and even the beginner lobbies were busy, so I'd guess the release was a success over there.

39 minutes ago, solidscheme said:

Better than non-Japanese characters speaking chaotic Japanese.

I guess people like you are the reason why most western FG dubs haven't evolved past the "who cares about personality and looks of the character, let's hire a guy who can do a stupid fake accent of the supposed nationality" phase.

3 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Wow, their biggest mistake seems to have been trying out ENG dubs in the first place. If XRD were JAP only to begin with, there likely would not have been any problems or outcries from fans. Welp. Arc/Aksys, if you're viewing this thread, for future reference and success, make sure to avoid testing the waters or experimenting with new, and/or different things, especially voice acting, 'kay?

That's all there is to it. It seemed like they were trying to gain a bigger market share and having English dubs was a smart move for Sign. Then they go and get greedy/lazy and think English doesn't matter in this day and age? Right after giving these new gamers that experience with the dub. We have all of these fighting games coming on the scene at the same trying to get a piece of the pie. This' no time to become a....badguy in the industry.

8 hours ago, SolxBaiken said:

In Revelator, when both Players are at very low health (like "next hit wins") the camera will occasionally pause for a moment if they swing at each other at the same time, to emulate a "photo finish" effect.

It's actually my favorite addition lol

Nice. Is there an easy way to see this effect? I never saw it...

36 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Wow, their biggest mistake seems to have been trying out ENG dubs in the first place. If XRD were JAP only to begin with, there likely would not have been any problems or outcries from fans. Welp. Arc/Aksys, if you're viewing this thread, for future reference and success, make sure to avoid testing the waters or experimenting with new and/or different things, especially voice acting, 'kay?

Is your argument really that no one should ever add new things to a game because if they take it back out later, people will be angry? Do you know how many things this could be applied to? Of course, that's what happens. lol

14 minutes ago, Penguinator said:

GODSGARDEN had their usual stream on Revelator's release (featuring Kazunoko, Souji, Dogura and Machaboo) and they had troubles finding empty lobbies. All Tokyo lobbies were full (Kazunoko actually took out his phone to "screenshot" it), Osaka lobbies apparently had more people than all Sign lobbies combined back on its release and even the beginner lobbies were busy, so I'd guess the release was a success over there.

I guess people like you are the reason why most western FG dubs haven't evolved past the "who cares about personality and looks of the character, let's hire a guy who can do a stupid fake accent of the supposed nationality" phase.

People want to UNDERSTAND what they're putting their attention/dedication to. Is that really too hard for you or anyone else to....understand? You can go into fetish or cheerleader-mode all you want, but the average person wants to have a connection to what they're infesting in. It's no different when a non-Asian game is bought to Asia:

solidscheme, you are totally kidding yourself if you believe the lack of a dub is a make-or-break deal for the series. That's neither the issue that kept it from growing during the XX days nor what would've contributed to its growth with Sign. And that's not even getting into how there are games that only get released with an English dub that don't get the boosts you seem to believe just having one would have compared to others that only had Japanese voice work, despite having far greater appeal than a 2D fighting game.

16 minutes ago, redsilversnake said:

solidscheme, you are totally kidding yourself if you believe the lack of a dub is a make-or-break deal for the series. That's neither the issue that kept it from growing during the XX days nor what would've contributed to its growth with Sign. And that's not even getting into how there are games that only get released with an English dub that don't get the boosts you seem to believe just having one would have compared to others that only had Japanese voice work, despite having far greater appeal than a 2D fighting game.

We'll see about that.

51 minutes ago, Fenris said:

I know you're being sarcastic but that's a really crappy argument to make. People should comment on what they don't like.

26 minutes ago, redsilversnake said:

lol!! If Capcom was dumb enough to keep Street Fighter exclusively in the Japanese language, all of it's universal appeal wouldn't exist today. Do you disagree?

Dudes, by any chance... has ASW announced any newer Xrd-R arcade stick or controller or anything? 

I'm a bit surprised they haven't released more merchandise for this game, though. When Sign was released they were selling shitloads of silly stuff like keychains and etc. And that glorious arcade stick that costed more than 300 monies.

2 hours ago, solidscheme said:

Speak for yourself. If you like Japanese voices, that's fine; but not everyone wants to hear it.

How would Street Fighter feel if everything just went into the Japanese language? Yoga Flame....in Japanese. Spinning Bird Kick....in Japanese. Cannon Drill....in Japanese. Sonic Boom....in Japanese

These are iconic quotes from SF, i bet you wouldn't want "hadouken" translated as soulfist ki-fist or whatever. Just like how i really don't want May saying mrDolphin after 12+ years of "iruka-san" and "taishtakotonasasoudane", but even if i have to play in english i really don't mind at all.

34 minutes ago, XXXDC said:

These are iconic quotes from SF, i bet you wouldn't want "hadouken" translated as soulfist ki-fist or whatever. Just like how i really don't want May saying mrDolphin after 12+ years of "iruka-san" and "taishtakotonasasoudane", but even if i have to play in english i really don't mind at all.

I was hoping someone would play that silly Ryu and Ken card. BOTH of the characters were trained in....Japan. Every other character has an ACCENT that fits where they come from. Since English is the most universal language, that accent comes with a English dialect. Japanese is FAR from universal. ALL of the fine details are completely lost to the non-Japanese speaker.

People can act like others don't see this as a disservice to the rest of the gaming market, but people are talking about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guiltygear/comments/4lg6vf/kinda_confused_about_the_why_gg_xrd_revelator_has/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/181102-guilty-gear-xrd-revelator-/73796831

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=1223953

http://anothrwintr.tumblr.com/

Does Japan really care that much about a home version of this game? Did they really need it ahead of everyone else?

Hey man, instead of moaning at us (how many posts have you made in the past 3pages!?), how about getting on to ASW or Aksys?

The lack of dubs is a bummer for those who use it, but maybe if people show enough support, they could introduce it in future.

1 hour ago, XXXDC said:

I can't help but think of this video IGN did before SF4 came out on console about SF having an English dub, and their fears of what it'd be like

34 minutes ago, TekkamanArk said:

I can't help but think of this video IGN did before SF4 came out on console about SF having an English dub, and their fears of what it'd be like

That's funny. Seriously though, Rising Dragon Fist, Wave Motion Fist and Hurricane Kick wouldn't sound right in English?

12 minutes ago, solidscheme said:

That's funny. Seriously though, Rising Dragon Fist, Wave Motion Fist and Hurricane Kick wouldn't sound right in English?

No, it wouldn't. But, also, calling out the names of attacks is a Japanese thing to begin with. It doesn't culturally make sense for any English speaking country, so it's not going to make any more sense to say Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku, Hurricane Kick, or I'd Like Some Poundcake.

5 minutes ago, TekkamanArk said:

No, it wouldn't. But, also, calling out the names of attacks is a Japanese thing to begin with. It doesn't culturally make sense for any English speaking country, so it's not going to make any more sense to say Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku, Hurricane Kick, or I'd Like Some Poundcake.

How's it any different from a character saying Sonic Boom, Psycho Crusher or Soul Spark?

Just now, solidscheme said:

How's it any different from a character saying Sonic Boom, Psycho Crusher or Soul Spark?

In a Japanese made game. Now compare KI, MK, and other previous Western made fighters. Unless they're specifically trying to evoke something like SF or etc, the characters don't have call-outs to their moves. And, Sonic Boom, Psycho Crusher, and Soul Spark are also the same names in Japanese, so that wasn't an attempt made at localization or anything.

Just now, TekkamanArk said:

In a Japanese made game. Now compare KI, MK, and other previous Western made fighters. Unless they're specifically trying to evoke something like SF or etc, the characters don't have call-outs to their moves. And, Sonic Boom, Psycho Crusher, and Soul Spark are also the same names in Japanese, so that wasn't an attempt made at localization or anything.

IF the move is Iconic enough to do so. You telling me that when you hear "Get over here!!' You don't know who that is? The calling out of moves is one of the reasons Street Fighter is so mainstream. Since Most of the cast in MK, KI etc. don't call out the names of their moves is the reason their moves are not globally known. Can you imagine Sol not saying "Gun Flame" after using his projectile? Shoryuken.com wasn't given that name for fun. It's an identity just like a comic book character's symbol.