Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

2 minutes ago, solidscheme said:

IF the move is Iconic enough to do so. You telling me that when you hear "Get over here!!' You don't know who that is? The calling out of moves is one of the reasons Street Fighter is so mainstream. Since Most of the cast in MK, KI etc. don't call out the names of their moves is the reason their moves are not globally known. Can you imagine Sol not saying "Gun Flame" after using his projectile? Shoryuken.com wasn't given that name for fun. It's an identity just like a comic book character's symbol.

Shoryuken isn't memorable because of it's name, it's memorable because of what SF accomplished, with Ryu as it's main character, so all of his moves are immediately recognizable. All of the moves of all of the SF2 characters are immediately recognizable. Now, if you took the new people added to Alpha, 3, 4, or 5, and asked some random person on the street what their moves were, you might not get an answer. It's more of a testament to SF2's success than anything related to Ryu being iconic by himself. If SF hadn't spawned the fighting game genre basically, and something else had, Ryu'd be a generic karate guy that no one cared about. In Project X Zone, where Ryu and Akira were in the same game, Akira was changed to another costume to distinguish him from Ryu, because SF is just more recognizable than VF.

Sol not saying Gun Flame would be weird, but, that's also a Japanese developed game, again. Nothing was changed in the localization for it, but, the only GG games to use English voices (GG2 and Xrd Sign) were also rated poorly and sold poorly.

Yeah, this really isn't the place for this. Complaining about the exclusion of a dub here isn't going change anything. ArcSys has already made their decision on this, if you have a problem with it, take it up with them on their Twitter or whatever. All you're doing here is filling up pages with a pointless argument until a mod inevitably yells at us.

6 minutes ago, TekkamanArk said:

Shoryuken isn't memorable because of it's name, it's memorable because of what SF accomplished, with Ryu as it's main character, so all of his moves are immediately recognizable. All of the moves of all of the SF2 characters are immediately recognizable. Now, if you took the new people added to Alpha, 3, 4, or 5, and asked some random person on the street what their moves were, you might not get an answer. It's more of a testament to SF2's success than anything related to Ryu being iconic by himself. If SF hadn't spawned the fighting game genre basically, and something else had, Ryu'd be a generic karate guy that no one cared about. In Project X Zone, where Ryu and Akira were in the same game, Akira was changed to another costume to distinguish him from Ryu, because SF is just more recognizable than VF.

Sol not saying Gun Flame would be weird, but, that's also a Japanese developed game, again. Nothing was changed in the localization for it, but, the only GG games to use English voices (GG2 and Xrd Sign) were also rated poorly and sold poorly.

That doesn't change the fact that his move names are well known. Do you think people would have any connection to the shoryuken if Ryu stayed silent during the move? If  someone randomly started saying Tiger, Tiger, what comes to mind?

guilty gear is niche - i guarantee the majority of people buying revelator could care less that there's no english dub

street fighter on the other hand is iconic - ryu is literally the fighting game character and his moves have influenced the development of the whole genre 

12 minutes ago, Vashimus said:

Yeah, this really isn't the place for this. Complaining about the exclusion of a dub here isn't going change anything. ArcSys has already made their decision on this, if you have a problem with it, take it up with them on their Twitter or whatever. All you're doing here is filling up pages with a pointless argument until a mod inevitably yells at us.

Ok, last thing I'll say about this: There's a definite Japanese/Asian bias:

1. Only Japan got to vote on the character being added.

2. America got barely any marketing/promotion for Revelator (especially if you play on PS3).

3. There's no limited edition for NA or EU regions.

4. Not just the story mode, but the entire game is being shipped to NA, EU and China in Japanese with subs.

5. What happened to the "something special" for NA customers they spoke about? This game come out in less than 2 weeks.

2 minutes ago, solidscheme said:

3. There's no limited edition for NA or EU regions.

4. Not just the story mode, but the entire game is being shipped to NA, EU and China in Japanese with subs.

5. What happened to the "something special" for NA customers they spoke about? This game come out in less than 2 weeks.

There's a limited edition for Europe that comes with a vinyl soundtrack collection, and that edition is the sole reason one of my friends is even picking it up to play with me.

A game being released with Japanese voices with appropriate language subs isn't unusual by any means, though it is strange they removed the dub they just put in place. I suppose KOF12 had the same situation though.

The "something special" for NA customers was the free access to the Eclipse color pack, Raven automatic unlock, and Kum Haehyun.

5 hours ago, Kyosuke Kagami said:

Dudes, by any chance... has ASW announced any newer Xrd-R arcade stick or controller or anything? 

I'm a bit surprised they haven't released more merchandise for this game, though. When Sign was released they were selling shitloads of silly stuff like keychains and etc. And that glorious arcade stick that costed more than 300 monies.

I think there was an updated Ebten Sanwa stick announced earlier, but it might have been just artwork.

1 hour ago, TekkamanArk said:

The "something special" for NA customers was the free access to the Eclipse color pack, Raven automatic unlock, and Kum Haehyun.

No...

Also...

^Around the comments on the Aksys tweet there, somebody mentioned if the DLC was the "special announcement" or the "soonish" thing (which BTW, they're taking quite a while on that.), and apparently, no, its not that. But they better hurry, almost a week and a couple days to go.

12 hours ago, solidscheme said:

lol!! If Capcom was dumb enough to keep Street Fighter exclusively in the Japanese language, all of it's universal appeal wouldn't exist today. Do you disagree?

If anything, it seems the lack of single player modes.

12 hours ago, TekkamanArk said:

In Project X Zone, where Ryu and Akira were in the same game, Akira was changed to another costume to distinguish him from Ryu, because SF is just more recognizable than VF.

Incorrect. Akira has had that outfit since VF2. In VF1 he wore a black Gi. He didn't switch to default white until VF4.

So Aksys wants to reserve the surprise for the week of release maybe?

16 hours ago, Kyosuke Kagami said:

Damn, I haven't seen anything like that on Amiami or Play Asia :s I hope they confirm.

well...considering the stick was an ebten exclusive, I wouldn't expect to see it in other web stores.

2 hours ago, ChexGuy said:

well...considering the stick was an ebten exclusive, I wouldn't expect to see it in other web stores.

Play-Asia was also selling it. They were asking 200 USD for it.

20 hours ago, TekkamanArk said:

There's a limited edition for Europe that comes with a vinyl soundtrack collection, and that edition is the sole reason one of my friends is even picking it up to play with me.

A game being released with Japanese voices with appropriate language subs isn't unusual by any means, though it is strange they removed the dub they just put in place. I suppose KOF12 had the same situation though.

Actually, KoF XII didn't (its dub was included, and was terrible), but that was what happened with XIII (dub also bad, but ultimately omitted from the final release).

1 hour ago, Zedar90 said:

New patch is out(2.479GB), 1.01, the biggest thing from it is that it adds more story to the story mode.

I've been a bit out of the loop. Has Arcsys said anything about how many of these patches they are going to make and if they have any plans on releasing not just story, but gameplay-related content like DLC characters and more balance patches for the console version this time around?

1 hour ago, SQNR said:

I've been a bit out of the loop. Has Arcsys said anything about how many of these patches they are going to make and if they have any plans on releasing not just story, but gameplay-related content like DLC characters and more balance patches for the console version this time around?

They've never specified how many patches they plan to put out. That wouldn't even really be a good idea, since you never really know how many you'll need.

A balance patch is presumably a long ways off, but DLC characters get their data added via patches so that those who don't buy them can still play against them online. This was how players who didn't buy Leo were able to face those played him in Sign, as he was added in the day 0 patch, and Dizzy will handled the same way whenever she comes out.

1 minute ago, redsilversnake said:

They've never specified how many patches they plan to put out. That wouldn't even really be a good idea, since you never really know how many you'll need.

A balance patch is presumably a long ways off, but DLC characters get their data added via patches so that those who don't buy them can still play against them online. This was how players who didn't buy Leo were able to face those played him in Sign, as he was added in the day 0 patch, and Dizzy will handled the same way whenever she comes out.

Yeah, that was poorly phrased by me. I should probably have asked if they had announced that regular patches would be a thing with Revelator and if they had stated whether they would contain only be story-related things or not. With a few exceptions, Arcsys haven't exactly been big on post-launch DLC. I was wondering if they were going with a new business strategy.

Just now, SQNR said:

Yeah, that was poorly phrased by me. I should probably have asked if they had announced that regular patches would be a thing with Revelator and if they had stated whether they would contain only be story-related things or not. With a few exceptions, Arcsys haven't exactly been big on post-launch DLC. I was wondering if they were going with a new business strategy.

Only more story and Dizzy have been officially stated, I believe. But now it's only Dizzy probably, since this update added the rest of the story, unless they plan to add side stories.

2 minutes ago, Zedar90 said:

Only more story and Dizzy have been officially stated, I believe. But now it's only Dizzy probably, since this update added the rest of the story, unless they plan to add side stories.

I see. I haven't checked out the story mode so I wasn't sure if it was finished or if they planned on releasing even more parts. Thanks for the explanation.

I wonder about the DLC story, I don't think this patch will count as DLC,  is just one patch to add the rest of the story plus some general improvements, probably they couldn't finish everything on time before the game went gold.  We will see.