Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

51 minutes ago, RurouniLoneWolf said:

Sales aren't too bad considering everyone and their mother probably went digital this time to get the early demo.

While these charts do indeed not include digital, this isn't too likely, as Japan has apparently been slower to catch on to digital than western markets have, and most pre-orders for the sake of getting the demo were probably just hardcore fans and arcade players looking for more leisurely practice time.

Anyway, these numbers actually seem pretty typical for ASW revisions. I can only find numbers for BBCP, but the initial sales for Extend were far lower than for the vanilla release. And for GG specifically, Sign seems to have just had a slow grind, as the localization announcement said that it eventually sold over 100,000 (though it's unclear what the split was between Japanese and overseas sales).

1 hour ago, redsilversnake said:

While these charts do indeed not include digital, this isn't too likely, as Japan has apparently been slower to catch on to digital than western markets have, and most pre-orders for the sake of getting the demo were probably just hardcore fans and arcade players looking for more leisurely practice time.

Anyway, these numbers actually seem pretty typical for ASW revisions. I can only find numbers for BBCP, but the initial sales for Extend were far lower than for the vanilla release. And for GG specifically, Sign seems to have just had a slow grind, as the localization announcement said that it eventually sold over 100,000 (though it's unclear what the split was between Japanese and overseas sales).

Who would be excited about a game that's been fully playable in the arcade for months? Especially when it's not really that different. People are also waiting for the return of their main character(s)

GG will live or die by the profit they made in the arcades not in the console market. Those sales numbers are not very good in my opinion but only ASW knows if the franchise is worth their time when they put the profit from the arcades, merchandising and international markets together. 

I think BlazBlue is far more mainstream both in Japan and abroad, in part because, unlike GG, it was very much designed from the ground up to have a wider appeal. BB's characters, gameplay, story, and multimedia were very meticulously created to cater to a really diverse audience, whereas Guilty Gear has always sort of just been Ishiwatari going "this shit is fucking rad!" and throwing it out there.

I'd say that BlazBlue's fanbase is generally bigger, but Guilty Gear's fans are way more dedicated. As far as the FGC goes, Xrd is really the next generation anime fighter, while BlazBlue is on its way out (at least in its current iteration).

The general FGC usually holds the Guilty Gear series with the same respect, if not almost as much, as other heavy hitters like Street Fighter or Tekken. Other air dashers have a harder time penetrating the discrimination though. Good luck bringing up Nitroblasters during Wednesday Night Fights, whoo boy.

In Japan BB is huge and definitely more popular than GG.

In the West it largely depends.  The FGC treats GG better but outside of that the larger casual fans seem to like both or the preference seems to be split.

In my experience at Mexico... people here respects and likes Guilty Gear. Blazblue (and practically any other air dasher) is disregarded as "silly" and is not taken seriously. BB has its following, but... eh...

>>Released the same week as Dragon Quest Heroes II and Overwatch

lol well of course sales were low, not to mention the majority of Japanese consumers who buy console versions of fighters are casual fans who want to enjoy bonus content (i.e. story mode) with a small portion getting it for personal training time. So long as an arcade version exists and is supported, that is where you'll see a majority of activity (in both play and revenue) for Japan.

The sales numbers aren't stellar but understandable (and probably within projected margins). You guys are over thinking things a tad.

Those are not good numbers. In Costa Rica, GG has a bit more support than BB. However, I noted that the GG community is overall older (in age) than BB's community. Most of them, play GG because they played the old GGs before. So, older players went with GG, while newer players went with BB, and a very few of us went both. That's how the scene is here in Costa Rica.

In defense of GG, SFV sold quite low too, for a SF game. Maybe is a thing of the genre and not a thing with the game.

10 minutes ago, Ragnarok_F4 said:

In defense of GG, SFV sold quite low too, for a SF game. Maybe is a thing of the gender and not a thing with the game.

genre*

Here in the DR, BB is pretty much dead, GG is as niche as it gets, and the only fighters played and taken seriously are MK and SF.

I received my Revelator copy today, LE. Wow, loved it, probably not as good as the european one but I definitely loved what I got. The best extras were the bluray and the concert CD. Too bad, the art book didn't feature Dizzy at all (ARGH... :vbang: )

Won't use the disc, though, because I'm waiting for the digital MX copy to be enabled.

11 minutes ago, Grim-reaper said:

Little question, why can't i go beyond chapter 6 part A in story mode ?

Can you see the first half of chapter 6? In that case I don't know. I could see it all on my Japanese copy.
If it's after the ending of Chapter 5, it's because it's not on the disc. Chapter 6 - Final it needs to be downloaded through an update.

3 minutes ago, Grim-reaper said:

I can see the first part of chapter 6 indeed. But i get a " to be continued " and staff roll after that. Weird.

Huh, strange. Might be a bug then. I haven't heard it happen before(but I haven't looked if anyone have had it) and as I said I had no problem watching all the way to the end after downloading all of the 2GB patch 1.01.

Can anyone say whether the sound quality/leveling and textures have improved in the final product compared to the demo? Some of it was pretty egregious. I should not have to turn down the music to, like, 30 in order to make out what the characters are saying.

Anyone who put their pre-order on Amazon Canada and got a shipping estimate of June 14? Why the heck am I getting it a week late?

God, still no announcement from Aksys Games about the NA exclusive bonus for this game? Only 4 days away and they still haven't said anything about it. What gives?