Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

I'm really surprised ARC has not tried to tone down Johnny and Sin before Evo. I'm seeing many Japanese player switching to them just because of how they can be abused. You want Evo to be filled with all of the characters. Right now, those two aren't very healthy for the game. Jam could use some help as well. The game's been in the arcade for months. A small adjusting is all that's needed. Like MajinObama said, "I wanna set that place on fire on Sunday." You don't want bad publicity at the biggest tournament of the year.

2 hours ago, solidscheme said:

I'm really surprised ARC has not tried to tone down Johnny and Sin before Evo. I'm seeing many Japanese player switching to them just because of how they can be abused. You want Evo to be filled with all of the characters. Right now, those two aren't very healthy for the game. Jam could use some help as well. The game's been in the arcade for months. A small adjusting is all that's needed. Like MajinObama said, "I wanna set that place on fire on Sunday." You don't want bad publicity at the biggest tournament of the year.

Nu from Blazblue would like to say hello

Yu/Persho/Margaret would also like to say hello

I don't think it's bad publicity considering the other fighting scene games (such as Blazblue/Persona/Melty and even Smash.) There's always those few overpowered characters that everyone jumps on because they are OP. I'm surprised people are not complaining about El again.

2 hours ago, Epic said:

Arc doesn't really have a good track record of 'fixing' top tier characters.

Hmmm? XX - #R top tiers took some significant nerfs, then #R to Slash none of the top tiers were teh same.  AC had completely different mechanics, then from what I understand AC+R fixed a lot of AC's problems.

They also IMO did a great job on taking elphelt from stupid unbeatable to a very strong character in the 1.04 patch, and revelator indirectly nerfed many of the top tiers with the new blitz shield.  Don't worry, they will fix johnny soon enough, and I doubt many americans are really utilizing everything he has yet.

What I meant by that is that they go from one extreme to the other, overnerfing characters instead of fixing them. Robo Ky from R to /, Eddie from R to /, Ram etc. They pretty much went from overpowered to unplayable.

I'll give you Elphelt because that is a good example how to do it right, but to me that's just an exception.

Is the a good way to set up audio settings so that I can hear people's mics without using a headset? When I'm on a mic I'm red lining and most people say they can't hear me and the only way I can hear most people is when I'm using a headset. I dunno if there is a way to increase the audio for voice chat. It's a little frustrating when I'm trying to talk to people.

3 hours ago, Naotomato said:

Nu from Blazblue would like to say hello

Yu/Persho/Margaret would also like to say hello

I don't think it's bad publicity considering the other fighting scene games (such as Blazblue/Persona/Melty and even Smash.) There's always those few overpowered characters that everyone jumps on because they are OP. I'm surprised people are not complaining about El again.

Out of those games you've mentioned Blazblue: Calamity Trigger( Rachel Nu), Persona 4A (Mitsuru and Aigis), and even......... Smash Melee (Fox and Marth) caught flack for being competitively unplayable. I was trying to promote Calamity Trigger and people were like "Naw, I'm ok. I heard that game is broken".

Right now, there's a serious chance to grow the community and this could really hurt it. It's one thing not to know it's in need until a tournament exposes it and it's another to know and do absolutely nothing about it.

Does anyone Remember Super Street Fighter 4:AE at Evo 2011? Yun was broken to the point you even had Daigo, a Ryu main jump on the bandwagon. Most people were cheering against him It was a publicity mess:

The balance in Revelator is pretty good, imho. Just because a few Japanese players have been playing Johnny and Sin doesn't mean those characters are busted.

From my experience, more broken seems to generate more popularity. People like broken. Marvel, SF, etc are perfect examples of this. The more balanced it is, less people seem to like it. Look at Virtua Fighter which is one of the most balanced fighting games...no one plays it.

I tend to like games with a lot of creative freedom which is why I like air dashers as I feel they do this the best. But sometimes too much freedom can cause problems. Marvel is an example of that. Too much freedom and little to no limitations. Then you got the other end of the spectrum where it's too limited freedom and few options (i.e. SF). 

Arc System Works is notorious for balancing. Seems every iteration of a game comes down to "which characters are the broken flavor of the month". They nerf/balance characters sometimes so badly that they become unplayable. This is especially noted with BlazBlue.

Then you got those people who jump that flavor of the month because easy wins/OP. Those type of players I think are extremely toxic to a fighting game. It's not about playing the game, it's about winning and nothing else.

That's just my 2 cents.

Just now, heavymetalmixer said:

Still no 1.02 patch for PS3, damn.

You mean for those that got it digitally, right? Seems physical copies are still lucky to get the update.

17 minutes ago, NeoStrayCat said:

You mean for those that got it digitally, right? Seems physical copies are still lucky to get the update.

So only PS3 digital players are left behind? What did say ASW about this?

Edited by heavymetalmixer

I like how the game isn't balanced. U might fight someone s tier and ur char is like a b or c maybe worse and u win the fight..self gratification. I have a shitty char and out played the top tier char...IMO its a great feeling

2 hours ago, Orrax said:

The balance in Revelator is pretty good, imho. Just because a few Japanese players have been playing Johnny and Sin doesn't mean those characters are busted.

Why go through all of the set up with characters like Jack-O (Whose leveling progress when destroyed starts back at square one) or Raven (whose level 3 pain meter doesn't feel really different from his level 1) when you can have everything with no sacrifice?

Every character in this game is strong.

The rest doesn't matter. There is no balanced fighting game out there, otherwise we wouldn't bother with tier lists and stuff.

1 hour ago, solidscheme said:

Why go through all of the set up with characters like Jack-O (Whose leveling progress when destroyed starts back at square one) or Raven (whose level 3 pain meter doesn't feel really different from his level 1) when you can have everything with no sacrifice?

Sin sacrifices food meter for specials, and if he runs out, he's in trouble. Once Jack-O gets set up, she's very hard to deal with. It depends on what you want out of your play style; both Sin and Jack-O are proven tournament characters. I don't know much about Raven yet, but Kazunoko's performance with him looks promising.

And one video doesn't really prove much. I can't think of an iteration of Guilty Gear where Dogura blowing up GO1 is shocking -- Dogura is one of the best GG players since Accent Core, and GO1 is not a top Guilty Gear player (although he is amazing at other games). So, I don't really think using Dogura, who was dominating GG tournaments before he was using Sin, is a good way to prove that Sin is ridiculous.

In that video, Sin only had to guess right one time to kill Millia Around 90% off of her stamina in one combo. He was so bold, he was eating (faster than Jam's charges btw) right in front of her. Like, "Who cares if you hit me. I don't need much to end the round."

So what? That's always been Millia's weakness. It doesn't stop her from being one of the strongest characters in the game. And he ended combos with knockdown into eat; that's not particularly bold.

28 minutes ago, solidscheme said:

In that video, Sin only had to guess right one time to kill Millia Around 90% off of her stamina in one combo. He was so bold, he was eating (faster than Jam's charges btw) right in front of her. Like, "Who cares if you hit me. I don't need much to end the round."

Several right guesses if you include the whole block pressure beforehand that built RISC.

I wonder how much of the outrage about Sin is people not knowing what RISC does.

28 minutes ago, Banoffee said:

Several right guesses if you include the whole block pressure beforehand that built RISC.

I wonder how much of the outrage about Sin is people not knowing what RISC does.

So, at the start of the video she lost around 75% life when Risc had zero factor in the matter. I wonder if I'm talking to Sin/johnny players. Very curious.

1 hour ago, Orrax said:

Sin sacrifices food meter for specials, and if he runs out, he's in trouble. Once Jack-O gets set up, she's very hard to deal with. It depends on what you want out of your play style; both Sin and Jack-O are proven tournament characters. I don't know much about Raven yet, but Kazunoko's performance with him looks promising.

And one video doesn't really prove much. I can't think of an iteration of Guilty Gear where Dogura blowing up GO1 is shocking -- Dogura is one of the best GG players since Accent Core, and GO1 is not a top Guilty Gear player (although he is amazing at other games). So, I don't really think using Dogura, who was dominating GG tournaments before he was using Sin, is a good way to prove that Sin is ridiculous.

Did you really write that dude? You pretty much said on a professional level (tournament) a professional (player) exploiting the game doesn't mean much. Cognitive dissonance?

9 minutes ago, solidscheme said:

So, at the start of the video she lost around 75% life when Risc had zero factor in the matter. I wonder if I'm talking to Sin/johnny players. Very curious.

Well 75% and 100% are hugely different in this game because of strong guts. 70% is more like a real 40%. Slayer can do that and he's rubbish. You can't trust the life bar.