Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

15 hours ago, solidscheme said:

Him having invul on frame 1 could be balanced out by adding more recovery at the end. His teleport isn't anything like Dhalsim's or Akuma's where they fully control where they go. Ball placement is very important. You wouldn't want to teleport if the ball is right next to an opponent in the neutral (especially with the added frames of recovery). Without any ball, if he's in the corner when using it, he'll still be in the corner. He'll just have a chance to have the opponent's oki to wiff if they go into auto-pilot mode.

No, I don't believe he should be teleporting around all over the place like Harry Keogh, but there are things that are keeping s-tier in their position and I would like to see the gap shrink as far as they can get it. Ok, let's discuss that: What do all the non-s-ranked characters need to be more equipped to consistently take major tournaments? Like Rayplay said, I'm not qualified for this, but I'm sure some of you at least have some ideas. 

Even if you gave him recovery, he could still YRC. It's been covered by others why your idea isn't a good one by others, but to restate it again, it's like trying to stop pot's backdash, except he completely disappears to a random location, making it nigh impossible to pressure him.

Is there a place where the effect of Instant Blocking on tension gain/balance is explained in detail? How long it lasts, how much it increases etc. I know there is a section about it on the Wiki but it just mentions it briefly.

So I've had someone criticize GG for being a very setup heavy fighting game where every knockdown leads to a tossup mix up situation. They beleived that GG should have meterless escape options like ground techs/rolls. I like the setup nature of the game but is being setup heavy really a negative?

16 minutes ago, deadite said:

So I've had someone criticize GG for being a very setup heavy fighting game where every knockdown leads to a tossup mix up situation. They beleived that GG should have meterless escape options like ground techs/rolls. I like the setup nature of the game but is being setup heavy really a negative?

Not really, I like GG more than BB because of it, it's a matter of tastes.

27 minutes ago, deadite said:

Nah. Besides, it's not like GG is as limited as SF is when it comes to escape options.

1 hour ago, deadite said:

So I've had someone criticize GG for being a very setup heavy fighting game where every knockdown leads to a tossup mix up situation. They beleived that GG should have meterless escape options like ground techs/rolls.

Everyone in GG already has reversal backdash and reversal throw, and characters that are specifically bad at that (Chipp has a bad backdash and the lowest throw range) tend to have a meterless option (Chipp has a DP).  Venom is notable for having the least options even when including meter, and he still has decent enough options if you're patient enough to block.

I can get that at lower levels of play, some players want the ability to execute "X" action after knocked down to escape and go back to neutral, but that's not how this works.  Sometimes the other player has the initiative and you have to block, but you have plenty of options when blocking.

Tech rolls specifically have come up before and I've weighed in on them before.  What happens in BB is that you shift the oki from when you're knocked down to when the roll ends, and it adds a layer of mixup on rolling forward or backward (or waiting and standing up), the corner restricts your ability to escape since you have less space to work with.  High level players are going to be able to react and bait your roll most of the time anyway (either with a punish or by retaining initiative), so this is actually a very similar situation to baiting reversal throws and reversal backdashes.  Smash also has tech rolls, but at high level there's still a huge risk of being punished, especially for characters with slower rolls and/or against characters with high mobility.

I've actually had this conversation from the opposite perspective with BB players.  "Why do the backdashes tend to suck in this game?"  "So that you can't get out for free."  Uh... sure?  You can bait backdashes in GG, so they're missing the point.  I like GG's system more, but there are trade offs.  Lower level players are going to have an easier time playing around with BB's system because they have a wider margin to make errors and get away with it, and/or players coming from different games will adapt differently (Smash players would probably adapt to BB faster), but the system is also a little more convoluted at high levels because there are more options to deal with before you even factor in character specific options or what you're going to do once you start blocking.

I personally don't feel all that scared being knocked down against most characters.  It's not this end all death thing many new players tend to believe it is.

On 6/25/2016 at 1:51 PM, deadite said:

Yes. Everyone needs a meterless, frame 1 invincible, unblockable reversal that knocks your opponent to the other side of the screen. And the the reversal needs to have 90+ active frames and the hitbox has to take up the entire screen so that there's no way to bait it or dodge it. Because god forbid we actually encourage people to block on wakeup.

Anyways, being setup heavy isn't really a bad thing. Even if the mixup is unreactable you still have a 50/50 chance of correctly blocking it and sending your opponent back to the "pressure" stage. And tell your friend that everyone gets about 1 Burst per round and most characters have 50 meter reversals (not to mention Blitz). You have options to say no to wakeup shenanigans, you just don't have infinite ammo when using these options.

On 6/24/2016 at 6:55 PM, Epic said:

Is there a place where the effect of Instant Blocking on tension gain/balance is explained in detail? How long it lasts, how much it increases etc. I know there is a section about it on the Wiki but it just mentions it briefly.

Not as far as I know. There aren't any exact figures on the 4gamer wiki, and the seesaaw wiki only has data for AC, and even then it's only for the one time gain and not for tension pulse.

They still won't allow you to select Revelator's Mirror Match colors? Raven's is his GG2 colors. I would even pay for DLC to have access to all.

So did Aksys ever reveal what their sooper sekret exclusive bonus for US GG fans was? Because it's kind of starting to feel like maybe that was BS.

25 minutes ago, White Man said:

So did Aksys ever reveal what their sooper sekret exclusive bonus for US GG fans was? Because it's kind of starting to feel like maybe that was BS.

No, I should have said that at AX, but I didn't, but I'll probably get to that point soon, if I ask honestly.