Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

Hey, did someone ever wish that Guilty Gear gets a broadcast on a major TV channel? Well, now it is happening... somehow:

ASW announced that the major focus in the newest episode of "imagine-nation" will be Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-. There will behind-the-scenes footage, how the 3D models are formed and interviews with Daisuke Ishiwatari and top-players judging from the trailer. (http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/imagine/)

The episode will likely be viewable until a week later on the official website. (http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/imagine/)

EDIT: Seems that the archive of "imagine-nation"'s website has the videos much longer on demand than the normal archive (around 5 weeks) so there will be plenty of time to rewatch/archive it, although the quality is not as good as from the standart one. (Thanks to NeoStrayCat for pointing it out)
If someone wants to watch it as soon as possible they have a schedule which lists the times when the episode is on-air.

Edited by Danaiden
Added second archive link and schedule

To be honest, I was kinda hoping for more Story Episode videos from people who record the Arcade playthroughs (guys...? GUYS?)...

But exclusive stuff like interviews and "how it's done" explanations (hopefully with subtitles) would also be nice too.

Edit: it would also be nice if someone were to rip/mirror whatever videos that TV site is talking about... for archive purposes.

Edited by Blade

But exclusive stuff like interviews and "how it's done" explanations (hopefully with subtitles) would also be nice too.

NHK WORLD is an international broadcaster which main audience are people from abroad or business people. You don't have to worry, it will definitely have either English subtitles or voiceovers like every other program on this channel. Just follow the last link and you see their latest video which is completely in English.

EDIT: 
Edit: it would also be nice if someone were to rip/mirror whatever videos that TV site is talking about... for archive purposes.

Yes, it would be very nice if someone could do this since the video will only be available online until a week later, then it is gone.

Edited by Danaiden

So something I'm curious about..the odds are not likely but im wondering if arcsys had actually started working on some of these chars. We know raven n tuner have in game models..johnny n dizzy had the anime models not in game. .but just makes me wonder if these are the chars they had planned on releasing at some point (some I would say yes) eh..my brain drifting lol. Maybe concept art work drew up..who knows..but now wondering when updaylte will drop..maybe December sometime

GODDAMN IT, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. LET THE REMAINING TOP 4 AS CONSOLE CHARACTERS.

Dizzy wasn't enough?  Well I suppose that is true, but for now at least it should make quite a few thousand voters happy... at least until they decide to do another election (which is possible, given what they said about deciding characters' release 'based on popularity' in an older interview).

I think it would be a good idea to delegate popularity to the sidelines in favor of story-prominent characters with a single-character election slot per sequel, and might be the ideal way to go about it (at least until there's no more characters left to add).

So something I'm curious about..the odds are not likely but im wondering if arcsys had actually started working on some of these chars. We know raven n tuner have in game models..johnny n dizzy had the anime models not in game. .but just makes me wonder if these are the chars they had planned on releasing at some point (some I would say yes) eh..my brain drifting lol. Maybe concept art work drew up..who knows..but now wondering when updaylte will drop..maybe December sometime

Call it an educated hunch based on what we've seen so far.  ARCSys likes to showcase new characters whenever they get the chance, putting a new spin on the game.  And let's not forget all the stuff Pachi was mumbling about earlier... he really "could" implement those ideas of his.

I think it would be a good idea to delegate popularity to the sidelines in favor of story-prominent characters with a single-character election slot per sequel, and might be the ideal way to go about it (at least until there's no more characters left to add).

Holy shit no.  

with a single-character election slot per sequel, and might be the ideal way to go about it (at least until there's no more characters left to add).

I don't think this would really be a good idea because of the fact that people will just look at this first poll's results and assume Bridget, Baiken, or Order Sol are the only real choices. People that don't care for those characters probably won't care as much about participating and just sucks for characters that were in the lower half. First poll was a great idea because it was getting arcade players out there to spend more money so they could have a say in the game. I don't think you'll be able to replicate that hype now. Might as well just ask them to throw the characters in based on how they ranked on the poll.

For those wondering on the Guilty Gear Xrd-Rev episode of imagine-nation, don't worry about it, it won't be gone after a week, since the site page for it has an archive version of it that at least has it on a digest version which goes straight to the topic of the episode (and it seems to only list the last 5 episodes in the archive page of imagine-nation) so there's plenty of time to mirror it in the chance it gets removed someday. And as Danaiden says, it will be English subtitled and/or English VO's over the JP voices. (And yes, I've seen imagine-nation quite a while to understand.)

Other than that, you can also watch the episode as soon as its aired, since NHK World has its own 24/7 stream.

Holy shit no.  

I don't think this would really be a good idea because of the fact that people will just look at this first poll's results and assume Bridget, Baiken, or Order Sol are the only real choices. People that don't care for those characters probably won't care as much about participating and just sucks for characters that were in the lower half. First poll was a great idea because it was getting arcade players out there to spend more money so they could have a say in the game. I don't think you'll be able to replicate that hype now. Might as well just ask them to throw the characters in based on how they ranked on the poll.

You guys misunderstand.

Having 1 slot dedicated to player-choice opens up the rest to whatever choices the developers make.  If they did that for the rest, people would just choose whom they like just as you say.  That's why you limit the amount of "liked" characters in the roster in favor of characters that may not be AS liked in the poll, but still get a fair chance to be playable, at least until the goal of "all playable characters" is met.

The priority should still be story-oriented so things are coherent and make sense, though.

Okay I'll just clarify:

---1-slot dedicated to whomever the fans want in an election.
---Remainder slots dedicated to what's relevant in the story or whomever is left.

That way everybody gets a fair shake.

Edited by Blade

You guys misunderstand.

Having 1 slot dedicated to player-choice opens up the rest to whatever choices the developers make.  If they did that for the rest, people would just choose whom they like just as you say.  That's why you limit the amount of "liked" characters in the roster in favor of characters that may not be AS liked in the poll, but still get a fair chance to be playable, at least until the goal of "all playable characters" is met.

The priority should still be story-oriented so things are coherent and make sense, though.

Okay I'll just clarify:

---1-slot dedicated to whomever the fans want in an election.
---Remainder slots dedicated to what's relevant in the story or whomever is left.

That way everybody gets a fair shake.

Yes and while I agree I am pretty sure their point is fuck the story give me the characters we want all want, this should be a fighting game before a plot driven experience.

Too bad that's not how ARC System Works...

...Get it?

Having 1 slot for who you like should be satisfactory, and besides, anyone else will show up anyway... being spoiled whiners about it won't change anything in their plans.

Yes and while I agree I am pretty sure their point is fuck the story give me the characters we want all want, this should be a fighting game before a plot driven experience.

Well, me and a couple of friends are eagerly waiting just to know what the fuck is going to happen next with Elph's story and May's dissease; Also the character development on Zato now that he's back, what will Ky decide on this whole matter about Dizzy being his wife and that being prejudicial to his reputation as a king, etc.

Perhaps you don't like it, but there is quite the amount of people that actually enjoys GG's plot and just want to know what's next, I'd rather have one popular character per game and the rest be story driven characters than having 4 popularity driven characters and the story getting stalled because of that; Part of Guilty Gear's charm is his story, so you can't go "Fuck the story give me what I want" because like it or not, some people and even the game director itself loves the plot =)

Well, me and a couple of friends are eagerly waiting just to know what the fuck is going to happen next with Elph's story and May's dissease; Also the character development on Zato now that he's back, what will Ky decide on this whole matter about Dizzy being his wife and that being prejudicial to his reputation as a king, etc.
Perhaps you don't like it, but there is quite the amount of people that actually enjoys GG's plot and just want to know what's next, I'd rather have one popular character per game and the rest be story driven characters than having 4 popularity driven characters and the story getting stalled because of that; Part of Guilty Gear's charm is his story, so you can't go "Fuck the story give me what I want" because like it or not, some people and even the game director itself loves the plot =)

Since both you and Gear misunderstood, when I said while I agree, I meant agree with gear prioritizing the plot first (as I do like the plot narmy as it is). The post was intended to just summarize what I thought everyone else was saying since I though gear was misunderstanding their point :p

Edited by noct76

I just want to know what's with Potemkin and his new Armor. Where did he get it? We need to start some serious round table discussions and formulating some theories on the matter.

If we used the story as rules for who made it to the roster and who didn't then Xrd would have like 6 characters tops.  There's nothing wrong with using the story to introduce new characters since that's exactly what they did with Elphelt and Leo, but it should never be a rule of who gets in and who doesn't, because you can only have so many important characters to any given story.

Dizzy wasn't enough?  Well I suppose that is true, but for now at least it should make quite a few thousand voters happy... at least until they decide to do another election (which is possible, given what they said about deciding characters' release 'based on popularity' in an older interview).

Call it an educated hunch based on what we've seen so far.  ARCSys likes to showcase new characters whenever they get the chance, putting a new spin on the game.  And let's not forget all the stuff Pachi was mumbling about earlier... he really "could" implement those ideas of his.

Well, my main was Order Sol but I can see the fair share of Baiken an Bridget main over there. But I REALLY WANTED HOS in order to stop Millia from bullshitting her way in Xrd. HOS J.P and J.HS are 2 things that Millia hated the most.

I just want to know what's with Potemkin and his new Armor. Where did he get it? We need to start some serious round table discussions and formulating some theories on the matter.

"Keep pressure on that." :POT: (His Heat Gauntlets were a Birthday gift though.)

If we used the story as rules for who made it to the roster and who didn't then Xrd would have like 6 characters tops.  There's nothing wrong with using the story to introduce new characters since that's exactly what they did with Elphelt and Leo, but it should never be a rule of who gets in and who doesn't, because you can only have so many important characters to any given story.

You're not thinking outside the box.  It's not about who gets in and who doesn't... it's just who goes first and who has to wait.  Everyone gets in... just a matter of patience.  Who goes first should be decided based on what direction the story is going in because that would make the most sense (logistically that's going to happen anyway, whether you argue about it or not).  If you put in a random character who had nothing to do with immediate story (even if they're popular)... I mean, what exactly are they doing there?

Order-Sol is probably the oddest fruit of the bunch if we're talking story-relevance (even compared to Robo-Ky or hell, even Leopaldon)... but that doesn't mean he won't get in eventually or that they wouldn't find a way to "explain" why he's in there (he could just be a flashback excuse or something for all we know, like Kliff was in Accent Core Plus).

Using the poll to determine future characters besides the winner (Dizzy) would actually diminish the poll's meaning. They're more likely either do another poll or just decide on their own without external influence, the latter being way more likely than the former.

Edited by Tokkan

"Keep pressure on that." :POT: (His Heat Gauntlets were a Birthday gift though.)

You're not thinking outside the box.  It's not about who gets in and who doesn't... it's just who goes first and who has to wait.  Everyone gets in... just a matter of patience.  Who goes first should be decided based on what direction the story is going in because that would make the most sense (logistically that's going to happen anyway, whether you argue about it or not).  If you put in a random character who had nothing to do with immediate story (even if they're popular)... I mean, what exactly are they doing there?

Order-Sol is probably the oddest fruit of the bunch if we're talking story-relevance (even compared to Robo-Ky or hell, even Leopaldon)... but that doesn't mean he won't get in eventually or that they wouldn't find a way to "explain" why he's in there (he could just be a flashback excuse or something for all we know, like Kliff was in Accent Core Plus).

Actually, Order Sol could be used as an excuse that Sol was still alive during AC+ story because you know how much BS of a reason that Sol is still alive despite I-No murdered Order Sol.

It's pretty easy to tailor the story to the characters you add, though, especially when so much stuff is going on. Just put some plot lines aside and concentrate on the ones that new characters are involved in.

I don't think it's as easy to "tailor fit" the story as you say.  There's some elements that are so out in left field, I wonder sometimes how Daisuke manages to write the story and hold things together.

Maybe if you don't especially care one way or the other the story of certain characters wouldn't matter, but that's typically not how they do things.  There's always some angle, even if it's humor or intrigue (like in Zappa's case).

In fact, the way the story has been written so far has had it's complainers since the beginning.

---Evokes the "Corrupt Tournament Trope"
---Time Travel Abuse
---Canonical errors / sequence of events mistakes / Timestamp errors in Xrd
---Ignores the 6-year time-skip for May and other 'young characters'.
---Ignores the Deaths of many characters (Kliff, Order-Sol, Eddie, Testament)

I'm not listing these examples for the sake of 'complaining', I'm saying they're problematic to any story, and to keep the story compelling, they have to somehow bring this cast of misfits together in a coherent form.  Whether or not that "tailoring" is done well will determine whether or not the story is told better than previous games.

Even if you ignore some minor characters, minor characters still have to have something to go on in order to drum up interest.

The idea of not getting characters like Order Sol because on at least one path of the story mode (in a side story to a side story which may or may not be canon) I-No killed him is kinda garbage when Zato-1 got rezzed.

I can understand Dizzy being a shoo-in since she's meant to be important but I would hope they don't make the story a deciding factor at all for excluding characters.