Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

Well I wouldn't bust out the pitchforks just yet. There are a lot of months between now and Evo I don't see why the balance patch can't hit consoles before Evo. The only way I see this balance patch not hitting consoles before Evo is if they need to re-code the entire patch for it to work on consoles. I don't really see that being the case. Personally I just hope Axl get's some love :D

Tho really its all speculation as to whether or not console get's the patch the same month, 1 month after or months after Arcades do.

As a side note if the patch doesn't hit till after Evo people will still attend and people will have found ways out of what some people are calling OP. If the Japanese players don't make it out due to the patch then US players have a shot at winning Evo this year :P

If the Japanese players don't make it out due to the patch then US players have a shot at winning Evo this year :P

What a great achievement for the US to win when the Japanese aren't there.

Anyway, I asked this a page back...

So what are some good techniques for teching in the air? I really dislike mashing tech games (as opposed to holding down the button) and I'd like to know some way to get teching more consistent but also not come out swinging afterwards.

I tech with faultless defense at the moment, but it doesn't let me tech forward (since you need to be holding back). What else can I be doing?

When I say techniques, I'm referring to some kind of combination of inputs, maybe an option select.

Piano buttons right before you see/expect the next hit to hit you. Air teching has a bit of strike invul, so you should be able to FD in time when you see yourself tech.

It's not really a matter of whether or not the game is already balanced enough, this is simply business.

Arcades are customers of Arcsys as well, if they release the same game as the console version then there is no real point for players to play the game on arcades anymore, and arcades themselves get screwed.

Actually every new console release for such games is pretty much bad news for arcades, so they can't afford to have the console version being more up to date than the arcade one for too long.

So yeah, this cycle may seem stupid, but actually it makes sense if you look at how the Japanese market is and what the local player's habits are.

I agree with your assessment (I'm a 3S player and all I really care about is the arcade, lol). It's just that the success of a fighting game outside of Japan seems to be very sensitive to bad timing. Despite high viewership, UMvC3 tanked in sales largely because it was announced so soon after most people paid for the original. I don't care for Evo much myself, but I still think that good coordination between developers and big events would be a boon to a series that laypeople are really starting to have faith in and promote.

Could be just paranoia talking, but I don't want something bad to happen and end up with a KOF moment where it's like "yay KOF finally made it in the West!," then interest runs dry and the whole series goes off the radar right after that (for different reasons). I'm not familiar with BB at all so I can't predict any of ASW's scheduling habits based on that.

Is that so wrong? ;______;

If you buff his life you have to nerf other areas significantly. If you can live with that that's fine but other Chipp players would hang you for it.

Is that so wrong? ;______;

Dear Lord yes.  He's already a pain in the ass to combat as is with his superior mobility and good normals/mixup.  He's good enough, trust me.

I think everyone should keep in mind that the game has been out for a full year. Granted the game for the US has only been here for a month. Personally a year worth of playing time before any kind of re-balancing is perfectly reasonable. As for the re-balancing of the cast I don't see them having to do to much. My personal opinion is never nerf a top tier character but instead buff the characters that are low. GG has always been a series where every character is insane and I hope that trend stays with Xrd.

Again I would say before anyone starts tweeting hate about a balance patch. Please remember the game has been out for a year.

NO! Horrible way of balancing a game.

It will only create more BS. We don't need another Persona. 

What, you want Blazblue balancing where everyone gets nerfed every patch instead?

Guilty Gear has (almost) always followed the mentality of 'buff before nerf'. It is the way it is now because it buffs more than it nerfs. Bullshit is fun, people like having options.

What, you want Blazblue balancing where everyone gets random, arbitrary changes every patch instead?

Fixed for accuracy.

Glad there were some people who were knowledgeable enough to explain why ArcSys patches seem to be so unfortunately/annoyingly timed. I was wondering about that myself.

What, you want Blazblue balancing where everyone gets nerfed every patch instead?

Guilty Gear has (almost) always followed the mentality of 'buff before nerf'. It is the way it is now because it buffs more than it nerfs. Bullshit is fun, people like having options.

I don't disagree with this, but I think having options is a little different from bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or they could, you know, distribute small buffs and nerfs wisely, based on the current meta and context. Doesn't have to be nothing but nerfs or nothing but buffs. I think a little nerf to the more overbearing tactics some characters have is reasonable, lest we risk people getting fed up and frustrated with the game due to bullshit.

I don't feel one character runs complete train on the entire cast at this point.

I'd maybe buff Pot and Slayer, but everyone else is fine. Buffing the two of them is a tough task though---they already do a truckload of damage if they do confirm. Probably a matter of making a few things a bit safer for them, or various cancel options/links could work.

If Xrd 1.1 follows the trend set by AC+R 1.1 and CP 1.1 then I'm all for it.  Those were pretty reasonable updates in that the changes were designed to fix the most obvious issues with the cast while preserving the existing feel of the gameplay as much as possible.  Xrd is a pretty well balanced game, but it isn't perfect.  If they're smart in how they address the characters' strengths and weaknesses and make conservative adjustments based on user feedback, I could see the gameplay improving.

If it's 1.1, it'll be more fun; if it's 2.0, that's a big "HELL no!"

I want a little bit of both. 

Just buffing everyone is dumb and ridiculous logic. Bullshit is NOT fun. It's only gonna put people off from playing this series. 

Don't even bring up Blazblue that game is already in nait-nait tier. I don't think anyone really cares about that game anymore. Xrd however has a loyal following and stole a lot of bb players anyway. Let it die in peace guise.

I want a little bit of both.

Just buffing everyone is dumb and ridiculous logic. Bullshit is NOT fun. It's only gonna put people off from playing this series.

Not necessarily, it can achieve balance since everyone has access to same bullshit you cant really complain and gg in generally has always been an okizeme game meaning getting that kd was the game itself.

Besides that in the name of fun having ridiculous stuff does make things more enjoyable if its avaible to every one only characters that has suffer overtime is bridget.

On yrc matter i dont like its free style approach where it can be a tool for fixing mistakes by the player meaning turning a bad guess into a better situation isnt healthy.

Don't even bring up Blazblue that game is already in nait-nait tier. I don't think anyone really cares about that game anymore. Xrd however has a loyal following and stole a lot of bb players anyway. Let it die in peace guise.

Don't be preumptious. BlazBlue still has a large fan-base.

Just because some BB players started playing GG, it doesn't mean they'll give up on BB.

This is completely irrelevant to this thread anyway.

I'd rather get new bullshit to use with my character than attempt to weaken the top tier's bullshit that makes them top tier.

I think as a whole the YRC window on specials and some normals need to be shortened and would then turn into a PRC.  I mean Slayer's j.S will go to PRC almost immediately so does the window for YRC to PRC depend on when you try to RC from the start-up or when active frames start?

Also...Slayer 2H pls turn into AC+R range and vacuum on CH.

Well its just corny that the updates are going to give the japanese another advantage for evo since im going to go. Considering BBCP 1.1 took only 1 1/2 months to come to console i expect the P4 and GG updates to come to console before evo.

Here's hoping Bedman, Slayer and Potemkin get a couple of improvements, and Elphelt, Ramlethal, Sol, and possibly even Chipp eat some nerfs. Even if nothing happens, I'll still be playing Xrd, as I haven't had this much fun with a fighter in a long time.

As for the "just buff everyone" comments, that's a surefire way to evacuate every player from this game over time. Believe it or not, many people do not favor bullshit play over actually out-thinking an opponent. Unless you're cool with just playing against the 5 other guys that relish in bullshit play, then by all means, root for only buffs and no nerfs.

Here's hoping Bedman, Slayer and Potemkin get a couple of improvements, and Elphelt, Ramlethal, Sol, and possibly even Chipp eat some nerfs. Even if nothing happens, I'll still be playing Xrd, as I haven't had this much fun with a fighter in a long time.

As for the "just buff everyone" comments, that's a surefire way to evacuate every player from this game over time. Believe it or not, many people do not favor bullshit play over actually out-thinking an opponent. Unless you're cool with just playing against the 5 other guys that relish in bullshit play, then by all means, root for only buffs and no nerfs.

Hey now. AC+ and AC+R that I remember were full of bullshit and that didn't took anything from mind games. Imo GG kept balance between strong stuff that you just have to grind out and outsmarting your opponent that only came with match experience.

My wishlist for Bedman: (I don't think he should get ALL of those, but any would be welcome)

- 2S > 2D gatling

- Task A' no longer teleporting on Blitz Shield (this is just silly -.-)

- 4/5F less recovery on 1/2/3H

- Enable air FD on airdash (not instantly, imo 6/8/10F after startup)

- New move - 22X (or 22D > X) - raw X seal setup

- Extended range on 2nd hit of 5H

- fix 6H to always hit crossup if it crosses up

This one I separate because I bet some would find that outright crazy:

- Task A/A' no longer disappears if Bedman blocks an attack.