Anne

[Xrd] News & Gameplay Discussion 2 - Console is Out!

Version 1.02 update ?

Wtf ??

fixes netcode and some other bugs

Yeah... i noticed it went back to 2frame and some 4frame

Ahhhh feww now time for some axl action! Hahah . Time to get those chip players that love to run haha imma get ya!!!

Yeah, I tried a little online play for the first time earlier.  Got constant 2-4f delays and even a 1f delay at one point, but it felt sluggish like it didn't match the displayed delay.  Also got a bug where my game locked up with a "please wait" message that forced me to quit through the XMB.  I could still send PSN messages and such, but all of my in-game inputs were locked and I couldn't do anything other than sit on a cabinet taking up space.  Functionality loss is pretty bad, especially when you take up space and ruin stuff for other players.  :psyduck:

I was kinda surprised by the really low delay, but it felt inconsistent, which leads to it feeling unfair.  I just did a bunch of stuff a user suggested in a thread the other day about double checking connections for packet loss, making sure packet size was 1500 or whatever is appropriate for the user's connection type, and I changed some of my PS3 settings which brought my Nat type down to 2 from 3.  This is probably the best I can get without more expensive internet, which I can't afford.  Screw AT&T and their LA service.  Paying $46/mo for a 6Mbit connection that functions closer to 4Mbit most of the time, not including other services.

The lobby system is really cool though.  Better than what +R had.  I'll try online again later and hope for better results.

Yeah, I tried a little online play for the first time earlier.  Got constant 2-4f delays and even a 1f delay at one point, but it felt sluggish like it didn't match the displayed delay.  Also got a bug where my game locked up with a "please wait" message that forced me to quit through the XMB.  I could still send PSN messages and such, but all of my in-game inputs were locked and I couldn't do anything other than sit on a cabinet taking up space.  Functionality loss is pretty bad, especially when you take up space and ruin stuff for other players.  :psyduck:

I was kinda surprised by the really low delay, but it felt inconsistent, which leads to it feeling unfair.  I just did a bunch of stuff a user suggested in a thread the other day about double checking connections for packet loss, making sure packet size was 1500 or whatever is appropriate for the user's connection type, and I changed some of my PS3 settings which brought my Nat type down to 2 from 3.  This is probably the best I can get without more expensive internet, which I can't afford.  Screw AT&T and their LA service.  Paying $46/mo for a 6Mbit connection that functions closer to 4Mbit most of the time, not including other services.

The lobby system is really cool though.  Better than what +R had.  I'll try online again later and hope for better results.

When the please wait bug happens, just sign out of psn and sign back in. It's been in every online game ever and that fix has always worked.

Is anyone else getting people who constantly challenge then back out when waiting in ranked? It is pretty annoying imo that I can't just ignore them so they can stop spamming me

Is that a PS4 thing? I've been able to invite people no problem since I got the game (and I got the Japanese PS3 version)

I think JPN have patch 1.02 and NA not getting it until now is what caused bad frame delay the last few days. I managed to finally get good connections to people tonight from west-to-east coast NA. I was quite pleased with the delay in the matches I played tonight but I'm hoping it was just a one time thing. I'll do some more testing tomorrow.

Leo is out on the US store now, alongside alternate costumes for every member of the cast.

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of Leo's inputs.

He has both 236 and [46] moves for Slash and Heavy Slash, making it very easy to get the wrong attack. (I've had multiple occasions where I would try to use a projectile ([46]) only to rush straight at my opponent (236))

I'm also having a lot of trouble getting his rekkas to work. The timing is way too strict for my liking.

I'm really digging his design though, and his Brynhildr Stance is great.

I play on an arcade stick, but I found a solution that probably works on pad as well. If I want to do Leo's projectile, then I hold down-back and move stick to down-forward to launch it. I used to hold downback and move to forward when trying to do the Sonic Boom motion in other games, but this one makes me avoid doing Leo's rekka by accident.

Is anyone else still waiting on the LE for PS4? I had preordered mine at gamestop awhile back since i could just get it right after work. I know it was delayed till the 23rd, but my gamestop still says they dont have it.

I've had a similar experience. One thing that's weird, though, is that even though online feels sluggish, I'm not dropping that much stuff, and I'm blocking overheads. I'm not entirely sure what is going on.

Is this a patch for the US version? I have the JP version on PS3 and I still don't see any improvements.

It's the patch the JP version got a little while ago.

Haven't had the issues mentioned by others, but I have run into a bunch of other online-related problems that haven't been brought up.

On the first day that I had the game, I challenged a person in ranked, but when the match loaded, I had HIS name and character and I was playing against a completely different person whom I never challenged. I'm not sure if the outcome affected the stats for my actual account. A similar thing happened again another day, but the names were just switched. I still had my own character.

In general, I get a lot of random "are you ready for the challenge?" messages from the announcer while browsing search results in ranked. This seems to increase the probability that the game will glitch out and give me the wrong opponent or something. One time it got so bad that I left the online area and went into training mode, but even while in training mode, every 60 or so seconds the announcer would say that sample again for no reason, preceded by the little loading cog icon.

The game has never frozen for me, but once when I made a ranked lobby (by accident actually), the game shut off immediately and the XMB came up. Pretty sure I was getting that announcer message at the time.

If a patch came out today then I don't have it yet, so I'll see if it helps when I get around to it.

The netcode for this game makes sense. Getting variable frame delay actually displaying is better than simply winging it and letting the subjectivity let you think that netcode is any better than it actually is. The 5 frame buffer in BB and P4 doesn't help this either.

What confused me, though, is what happened to me on Sunday night. We're playing coast-to-coast, I host the room. I get 8f delay, he gets 2f. He switches to hosting, same story.

I'd always wondered how people could pull of BnBs in that kind of delay, and now it makes sense, because while I was swimming through molasses they were probably churning through melted butter.

Has anybody else ever experienced something like this?

The netcode for this game makes sense. Getting variable frame delay actually displaying is better than simply winging it and letting the subjectivity let you think that netcode is any better than it actually is. The 5 frame buffer in BB and P4 doesn't help this either.

What confused me, though, is what happened to me on Sunday night. We're playing coast-to-coast, I host the room. I get 8f delay, he gets 2f. He switches to hosting, same story.

I'd always wondered how people could pull of BnBs in that kind of delay, and now it makes sense, because while I was swimming through molasses they were probably churning through melted butter.

Has anybody else ever experienced something like this?

I have, but it was the opposite.

He was host, getting 9-12f delay and I was getting 2-3. We were also coast to coast

Man, that kind of delay in a fighting game is weird.  Sounds like most FPS where there's host advantage and everyone else is dealing with 20-200 ping.  Dealing with sub 100 ping in that situation isn't too much of a problem since you just lead your shots a little more and try to avoid head-to-head engagements with people that are significantly faster than you.  With a fighting game you're in a situation where one player can block overheads and maybe has enough precision to IB and punish in 1-frame windows while the other player can't block a full screen projectile on reaction.

Except that here we can get it where the host has the disadvantage.  I don't know enough about networking to speculate on a cause for that, but it sounds really odd.  You'd think that in a direct Peer-to-Peer connection you'd either have the host with an advantage or the delay would be set to make it fair for both players.  Maybe the game automatically determines that one player's connection is stronger than the other and makes them the host, even if someone else is hosting the room?  Given the way the lobby system works with 4 cabinets in a room, I wouldn't be surprised.

Man, that kind of delay in a fighting game is weird.  Sounds like most FPS where there's host advantage and everyone else is dealing with 20-200 ping.  Dealing with sub 100 ping in that situation isn't too much of a problem since you just lead your shots a little more and try to avoid head-to-head engagements with people that are significantly faster than you.  With a fighting game you're in a situation where one player can block overheads and maybe has enough precision to IB and punish in 1-frame windows while the other player can't block a full screen projectile on reaction.

Except that here we can get it where the host has the disadvantage.  I don't know enough about networking to speculate on a cause for that, but it sounds really odd.  You'd think that in a direct Peer-to-Peer connection you'd either have the host with an advantage or the delay would be set to make it fair for both players.  Maybe the game automatically determines that one player's connection is stronger than the other and makes them the host, even if someone else is hosting the room?  Given the way the lobby system works with 4 cabinets in a room, I wouldn't be surprised.

That could be the case. He isn't normally West Coast and is using some ehh wifi for the time being. I am using a wired connection with "nice" internet. So perhaps Xrd does pick whoever has the better connection to host, instead of giving it to whoever created the room.

Unreal Engine 3, do you remember that?

Unreal Engine 3, do you remember that?

MOTHER OF GOD :vbang:

So uh... did Unreal Engine 3 fix some of those old bugs from I think the original Unreal Engine or UE2 where you had stuff like guns shooting faster or your character running faster in online multiplayer if your framerate hit the right breakpoints?  IIRC what happened was that at some point in the back end calculations the game would round a value (probably to save memory and make future calculations easier), and the goal was to get your FPS at the point where the rounding was done in your favor.  I'm only thinking about it in case there's ever a PC version of Xrd.  It could be a problem, but then again tournament play would be done in-person with fair settings anyway.

As another note, I think I am only playing people from japan in ranked play? It would be nice if I could play someone from north america for once

I live in British Columbia, Canada