Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kumlekar

Vs. Anji

Does anyone have info on this matchup? I end up playing against anji quite a bit, and all I've really learned is to run from butterflies.

Does anyone have info on this matchup? I end up playing against anji quite a bit, and all I've really learned is to run from butterflies.

It really depends on the type of Anji you're playing against. There are those that love to spam fuujin and those that are deathly afraid of spamming fuujin. The ones that are deathly afraid of spamming fuujin you can make pretty quick work of, but it's a challenge getting there in the first place. Honestly, it all comes down to how good the Anji player is at reacting to the holes in your pressure and punishing your ass with fuujin. You, on the other hand, must recognize those situations and bait fuujin. The matchup is pretty much in Venom's favor because Anji always has to take risks to get in on you.

- You want to start the game by zoning. Utilize single ball formations and your far slash to keep Anji at bay. At some point, he'll try to super jump towards you. Never summon two balls at the same time unless you score a knockdown, cause that jump will always score him a counterhit. When that time happens, be ready with your 6P to score an anti-air. After the anti-air, don't worry about setting up into pressure unless you know he won't retaliate with fuujin. Instead, set up zoning formations and start spamming the screen with balls. I tend to use HS ball and warp a lot to escape his ghetto pressure before it even reaches me.

- When you want to go on the offensive, utilize more crossups to mess up his guard points and fuujins. Note that once the Anji player becomes more experienced in the matchup, every string that you end with either Dubious Curve or Stinger Aim or Carcass Raid CAN be reaction fuujined. That's why I prefer zoning for pretty much the entire match and only going for pressure after I've got them scared.

- Fuujin itself has some things you should take note of. There is a window of invincibility between its startup and before it finishes. With this in mind, you can throw out early 2Ds and 6HSs (or even a throw at that) to stuff it, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. Baiting fuujin can be done by proper warping. Another way to bait fuujin is to end a string with a cancelled Carcass Raid. Lastly, I like to leave balls lying around and go in for fake pressure, then Warping out after a short blockstring to try and draw out that fuujin.

- Anji's ground normals are pretty decent. Note that his 6P can straight out beat your 5S(f), so be wary when spamming that. Other guardpoint normals can be very annoying, which is why I spend most of the match jumping around, hitting balls forwards and backwards, and trying to catch him with an anti-air. Fat chance beating him in the air. Both his j.S and j.D will stuff out almost anything you have. You'll need to utilize 6P very well here since the move will generally stuff all of Anji's air-to-grounds.

The matchup is a lot like how you'd play vs any other character with a dragon punch. Just be smart and cover your ass when you have gaps in pressure.

The easiest way to beat fuujin is to hit a low attack (2K) after you see the water splash around Anji. Regardless of how close he is fuujin will lose. CR can also beat fuujin. IIRC you can throw fuujin while its in invincibility state. Anji's jD air game will mess up your AA timing so its best to avoid a jumping Anji unless you have balls near you that will fly into Anji once you use an AA (6P or c5S). I use ball seisei P,S / H,K as my best anti-air. Corner pressure To punish fuujin you have to stay away from its invincible frames. Most Anjis will fuujin when they see an opening/pause to your pressure so be sure to anticipate it with lows. IIRC carcass raid pressure is the best corner pressure against anji because Fuujin will always get hit by 2K (but sometimes if you 2k too early you'll get hit). 2S pressure loop is also a good tool to bait fuujin and teleport. Just remember to use lows to counter fuujin and you'll be alright. And like ajincris said ball teleport to avoid the corner. You don't want to deal with Anji's pressure game. Anji's corner pressure You can't do anything unless he decided to Fuujin after butterfly. IBing the first hit of butterfly followed by 2K to punish fuujin. But if he use 2k,2p,5k you will always get hit so I guess FD/DAA/Burst is your best way out so conserve your tension if you don't want to deal with his pressure. Anji's mixup Just play a lot of Anji matchup to get used to his mixup. Or use training mode to record mixups and moves you are not familiar with. Kai-P(used a lot for midscreen pressure, butterfly crossups), Kai-K(air-throwable), tk shin(impossible to block on reaction), 3P(overhead). -Rin and Rin FB is low punishable -Kou can't be punished, so stay away from its range -Sou can be punished by any move after the hop. -Nagiha punishable if they didn't use frc -IB buttefly then back dash (midscreen) -3P overhead -Shin fast overhead Zoning Just keep on spamming balls until he's driven into the corner. But you should remember to avoid getting cornered too. Zoning Balls -K,P -K,S -H,K,P -K,S,P -K,S,2P,SA cancel -K,S, 2P, dash, Summon (any ball can do as long it hits the other balls) Anti-air balls (AA balls that will add more pressure when you hit them with your AA) -K -H,K -P,S -K,S -K,P,S Corner Mixup balls -H,K -K,S -P,K

Corner pressure

To punish fuujin you have to stay away from its invincible frames. Most Anjis will fuujin when they see an opening/pause to your pressure so be sure to anticipate it with lows. IIRC carcass raid pressure is the best corner pressure against anji because Fuujin will always get hit by 2K (but sometimes if you 2k too early you'll get hit). 2S pressure loop is also a good tool to bait fuujin and teleport. Just remember to use lows to counter fuujin and you'll be alright.

Just wondering: why do you recommend lows to counter Fuujin? It is fully invincible for roughly the first half of its startup, not invincible only above the knees (unless you are talking about #Reload), so any delayed normal should be able to stuff it hard on anticipation.

Just wondering: why do you recommend lows to counter Fuujin? It is fully invincible for roughly the first half of its startup, not invincible only above the knees (unless you are talking about #Reload), so any delayed normal should be able to stuff it hard on anticipation.

Hmm IMO 2K is still the best move to anticipate fuujin in neutral situations. Its fast, safe to whiff. Other moves like 2S, 5K are good moves to anticipate fuujin but its slow recovery will cost you a lot of momentum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lngXxaFmUT4

ah, ty. I still don't know most of the move abbreviations and such.

Ask and you shall learn.

Reading the guide on the first page of the Venom Accent Core Thread might help with that too.