Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaRealZil

[Xrd] Leo Whitefang vs Zato-1

Here's a short set vs Flux, we're both still learning our characters but you can see that Drunkard Shade used right shuts down Leo's YRC rushdown, and due to 2S short range it's difficult to kill Eddie reliably.

You can use [4]6S in some situations but I had difficulty finding good times to charge without giving him too much control.   

Also J.H is good vs Zato-1 (and in general) but obviously overusing anything is a bad idea

My matches vs Zato-1 start the 4mn mark.

http://youtu.be/lrHRIv1Cdfo

I officially hate this matchup lol.

He controls the ground well with drills, shadow attacks and 2S so you can't really get in easily.
If you try to get in with a [4]6H he can reflect it...
His shadow ]S[, 6P and 2H are a nightmare vs Leo in the air. 2H too stronk vs air approaches.

He gets a knockdown - you have to react to 2 safe mixups, if you guess wrong, you eat an unblockable.

Fighting a good Zato is too much sodium for me. Can't wait for the Leo buffs and Zato nerfs :(

I also don't really like this matchup very much, like you said the neutral is very hard for Leo, if you happen to block, well that's the same shit for everyone against him and it's not good.

You can iad jK jH over drills when Eddie isn't there but you kinda need to anticipate it, you can end up being 6P'd if your prediction was wrong.

When he goes for an unblockable, always try to H flashkick it, you'll get hit by the last hit of the drill but if he happens to miss his safe jump (to be fair, I never got safe jumped once of any time i got my reversal out yet) that's quite less damage. You can also try to blitz but you have to guess high or low, also that way make sure your oppoent does his setups correctly, I've seen Zato players that pretty much always hit their setups the same way (always low first or always high first), if you can see a pattern, blitz gets a lot easier, and actually if there's such a pattern, you can block it.

Zato's normals are pretty slow, so he suffers a lot on defense and most players like to dead angle a lot, so look for it when he has meter by staggering your pressure, or doing YRC OS when you meter allows it, if you're feeling confident bt.D does work for that too. If you happen to block one, you can get a crouch combo for the punish.

When he does far drill and you block it, a lot of players like to summon Eddie from the puddle immediately after with shadow S, you can get a CH 236H in between (easier if you've IBd the drill) but it will lose to normal summon and normals.

Honestly this matchup feels the best amongst all of Leo's matchups against the top tiers. H Eisen Sturm has to be respected because it can very easily kill Eddie AND hit Zato. You can use 2P and 2K to kill the shadow besides 2S. Zato has no answers to Leo's offense besides Amorpheous and the normal options, and he's made out of paper so two good touches will put him down.

At max f.S range, f.S > 5HS won't combo on crouching Zato, but f.S > rekkas will.

You have to bait Zato's normal anti-airs with double jumps. If he guesses right and doesn't whiff a normal, then you either hold that and FD down to the ground, our you do a yolo j.D/j.D YRC to try to force your way in.

You can H Eisen Sturm out of the unblockables. He can safe jump it, but he doesn't want to do that because then he can't do the Shadow Gallery combo because of height restrictions. It's worth it to Eisen Sturm RRC to get out of the corner. Smart use of Eisen Sturm, FD, and Dead Angle are essentials to surviving the offense. That's all you can really hope to do is survive, because anything you do has to be a big guess. Zato's only really good mixup on the ground is throw or 2K (with P Shadow covering the gaps), so if you make a smart read on when he's going to command grab and 2P/6K/jump out/Eisen Sturm/Gold Burst, you've basically escaped. As for the buzzsaw/fuzzy jump mixup... just guess and hope that you're smarter than him. Or H Eisen Sturm and he'll probably get hit if you can get it out there.

A lot of not losing to Zato in neutral is A)Not getting hit with anti-air Nobiru (S Shadow) and B)Not running into drills on the ground. Besides that, just watch for the yolo j.K from Zato on resets/jumps. You can 6P it, but you have to throw out 6P very early. When he's flying above you, he's trying to bait the 6P to get you to whiff and punish, so either jump up and air throw, or blitz shield late, or H Eisen Sturm, or just block.