Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Watches

Axl Q&A thread

Way less aggressive for sure. With Rensen FRC at 50% meter and without the 2H-2D gatling, you're playing a lot more of a neutral-conversion game than an oki/pressure game. Neutral game is still heavily focused on staying in midrange and getting them into the air, but you don't really get your damage as often as you did in +R, making Axl a weaker character overall. What they did give us was a fuckin' sick DP, and the ability to abort any bad guess for 25% meter (If you threw out a long normal and didn't hit them immediately, it's a bad guess, YRC it). Axl was always a powerhouse in neutral and with a DP, that's even more true. What he lost was the strong offensive game he had in +R, but he gained the ability to break out of oki and tick throws, which I think is a valid choice for them to make, albeit one that puts him in a weaker metagame position than characters like Ky and Zato, who gained a lot from the Xrd changes.

That said, you do still have an offensive gameplan should you gain the advantage. Your pressure is about spacing them correctly and setting up frametraps, so the holes in your blockstring happen while they're not in their character's optimal range to hit you. This game is why Sol has such a hard time with good Axls.

New axl player, after testing the cast for afew weeks I think axl feels right, he got counters and dp + he's an English time traveler, gotta support your own right?

What are his bnbs and I can't tk bomber with 6239, what should I be doing. I didn't play ac axl, so I'm still becoming familiar with his move names. Could you give inputs please.

Way less aggressive for sure. With Rensen FRC at 50% meter and without the 2H-2D gatling, you're playing a lot more of a neutral-conversion game than an oki/pressure game. Neutral game is still heavily focused on staying in midrange and getting them into the air, but you don't really get your damage as often as you did in +R, making Axl a weaker character overall. What they did give us was a fuckin' sick DP, and the ability to abort any bad guess for 25% meter (If you threw out a long normal and didn't hit them immediately, it's a bad guess, YRC it). Axl was always a powerhouse in neutral and with a DP, that's even more true. What he lost was the strong offensive game he had in +R, but he gained the ability to break out of oki and tick throws, which I think is a valid choice for them to make, albeit one that puts him in a weaker metagame position than characters like Ky and Zato, who gained a lot from the Xrd changes.

That said, you do still have an offensive gameplan should you gain the advantage. Your pressure is about spacing them correctly and setting up frametraps, so the holes in your blockstring happen while they're not in their character's optimal range to hit you. This game is why Sol has such a hard time with good Axls.

Agreed 100%. I've noticed that my signals for aggression and risk-taking from +R have not served me well here. Getting the knockdown is becoming increasingly rare, sometimes so much that I don't know what to do when it does happen. I've gotten rid of most of my +R habits, but still taking time to repurpose some of his normals that don't have the same uses that they did in +R (2H being my main priority). My gameplan for now is to try to steal as much screen space from the opponent as I can and try to capture and react to their attempts to approach. I try to play for 50% tension, which is when I feel that Axl gets most of his damage, also giving me the two RC options in bad situations. Trying to also squeeze my DP into the small reversal window of Xrd; I'll be spending a lot of time on this as I do not like missing such a crucial move on wakeup.

I think the cool thing about Axl is that even though he can't go as ham as he used to, he still gets great damage with meter or air confirms (I actually don't mind spending an RC to continue a combo from 6K if I feel I'm too far away) but he also feels interesting in the neutral because the P vacuums are gone and some of his old blockstrings don't exist anymore; he feels like he requires a bit more quick thinking this time around. I really feel the pain from my mistakes more in Xrd, but also feel more satisfied when I can build a game around shutting the opponent down.

I'm at a low level still, so I see plenty of opportunities to use blitz shield, but I'm finding that grounded blitz shield makes a good followup quite expensive and aerial blitz shield can be replaced with other less risky moves like 6P, 5K or counter. Overall, I think Axl doesn't get too much out of it, at least the way I play, because I always want the meter for the confirm or the YRC.

New axl player, after testing the cast for afew weeks I think axl feels right, he got counters and dp + he's an English time traveler, gotta support your own right?

What are his bnbs and I can't tk bomber with 6239, what should I be doing. I didn't play ac axl, so I'm still becoming familiar with his move names. Could you give inputs please.

You can find very simple BnBs in Axl's challenge mode. Axl's combos only really get intricate once he has meter (I feel), so I think using those is plenty good for a start.

Regarding TK Bomber, I've had exceptional difficulty using conventional means to TK this move. Performing it off the ground is not hard, but it does not seem to follow traditional TK input rules. My suggestion is to either 1] jump and then Bomber immediately (9623K) or 2] start from down-forward and perform a 360 in any direction, ending in down-forward and press the button (I stole this by checking out and then simplifying the CPU's inputs for TK Bomber). Either one works fine, but you can imagine that method 1 takes a bit more finesse to pull off. If using method 2 from the ground, be careful if you choose to perform a 360 starting with the 3214... input pattern. If your inputs aren't clean, you can end up with Haitaka stance. I always prefer the 3698... input pattern.

My way of doing it is either 9623 or i do 923, which works if you do it fast, but it's harder to time the jump cancel, I jump between the too depending on how comfortable my hand is, but I've been having a lot of drops still getting used to it.

TK bomber is janky because there's a minimum height requirement on the move. This means that no matter what, if you're below a certain height, you get HS instead of Axl Bomber. Period. This means that you *can* TK it the traditional way, with 6239, but you have to delay the button press until you're at the correct height. Many find it easier to do a longer motion (e.g. 6321473) or a motion that jumps sooner (6923) because it's nice to have a consistent fluid motion to time, but basically what you need to know is that you're not hitting the button until a few frames after you leave the ground.

Ye tested 9623/923 seems to be the best by far. I like the starter > 6k > 2s j.h,d,bomber. I noticed only j.k is jump cancellable. Is it worth adding anywhere?

Also how do I extend this to make it worth 50%? I think I would prefer to use reversal super.

Can u combo from artemis dp without rc

Just realised there is some combos in the thread i was looking in the drop down boxes, which are empty.

So combos into bomber are tough, because there's kind of a balance between when they can tech out and when you won't be able to relaunch. If possible, you usually want to be pretty low when you do the bomber, and have them be pretty high, so you can land, recover, and connect with something before they hit the ground. Fortunately it's a little easier than #R in that you only are ever likely to get 1-2 additional reps at most. I haven't done enough science yet to say for sure.

Also, reversal super is useless. I see no point to it now that we have a DP that's safer, very invincible, and RCable. The only thing super has over DP RC is like, being a super, which I guess is nice if you need more burst-prevention than the fact that it's a combo with an RC in it, or really need to activate hellfire for some reason? Not a good use of meter. I'd rather have a combo-extending RC (From benten, from rensen-8, from 2H-6H into jD, or even like, shark strike from 5P as a combo option), and I'd definitely rather have two YRCs for movement or aborting bad guesses.

How are you guys finding 3P so far? I was watching gnu the other night and I like his use of it in blockstrings with 2H where, depending on the matchup, he seemed to be in just the right range to risk constantly pestering with 3P and 2H while also having enough time to react if the enemy moved forward or stuck something out.

I don't have the balls to 3P close enough to the opponent to get anything off of the move when it lands CH, though. Maybe it's good up close for moves that have long CH windows where you don't want to risk the c.S or 5H coming out too slowly (not likely)? I'm wondering if my mentality toward the move should change.

I love it. To me it's his best poke. Standing low, very fast, great recovery and it gives you + frames on block. The only flaw I see is the limited options you can gatling into.

After your opponent gets used to blocking your strings, between 5K, 2K, c.S, 3P and 2H, you have so many pokes in your arsenal for frame traps.

It's also a great tool to bait out DPs as you'll either clash with them or recover before they even become active.

Having a follow up if it hits on CH isn't bad either.

Not really. A standard jump into j.H, j.D does more damage then j.K, jc , j.H, j.D.

You can take a look at Ble's video. It has a lot of useful combos in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toOUmwdVVbM

I don't think you can do anything after a DP, even on counter hit.

Any chance at this being transcribed in English, at least notation-wise?

Have frame traps, will travel. If you're having trouble with dragon punches, space against their dragon punch (Like versus Ky, time meaty 2K to go under it. Versus Sol, space out 3P or 2H to make him whiff, etc.).

If people are just mashing non-invincible moves at you, you should be wrecking them. Keep your spacing such that fast attacks don't reach you, based on what character you're fighting. Your midrange pokes (f.S, 5K, 2K, 3P, 2H, etc) give you access to really strong frametraps, especially given that you now have a fast DP that you can also confirm into big damage. Spacing and frametraps are your pressure now, but it's actually a really good way to capitalize on someone trying to mash. Axl's normal gameplan is great for beating that particular kind of play.

Also, I'mna move your question and my response to the Q&A thread. Granted, it's slightly redundant to have discussion and Q&A be separate threads in the first place, but I think this makes sense there.

3P is #R status, which is to say Godlike. Fucking amazing. It's an absurdly good poke. It's a frame trap, a spacing trap, a launcher on counterhit, a decent blockstring starter, a low that goes into other lows and also overheads. It's amazing, basically. I use it a ton.

Any chance at this being transcribed in English, at least notation-wise?

I decided to transcribe that video for my own personal benefit, so I'll go ahead and post the transcription in the Axl combo thread since it probably belongs there moreso than here.

I decided to transcribe that video for my own personal benefit, so I'll go ahead and post the transcription in the Axl combo thread since it probably belongs there moreso than here.

I don't want to clutter up the combo thread, but thank you very much for this. I tried a Google Translate after having to convert the text used in the initial video's link, and it was an absolute mess to behold that gave me a bigger headache than I could have imagined. This is so very much appreciated.

couple things;

Axl can null potemkins slide head by doing his 623S.  

bomber loops feel a lot easier to do in this game than previous iterations. the 9623 technique is so nice. 

Can u combo from artemis dp without rc

nope. 

Yup. I love having something invuln that isn't that godawful super. 'Course, you could always do it with H-Benten, and Potemkin is basically a free matchup anyway... But hey, it's a DP, and that's awesome. Merry Christmas!

Real talk though, if you can see a slide head a little earlier, you can rensen it for the knockdown. Try to do that when you can.