Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Watches

Axl Q&A thread

Nah, I wouldn't say that other characters gaining range, even if true, has had a significant effect on Axl's tier placing. What he lost from +R was the ability to keep pressure on and the ability to cover multiple options. For one thing, Kokuugeki was an extremely strong move and is completely gone. And there's a reason they gave him 2H-2D in +R: Without it, his baseline mixup game is kind of lacking.

But honestly all of that is overcomable, and Axl got a few really nice tools this version in the form of YRCs and dragonpunch. The real problem I'd chalk up his tier placing to is lack of consistent meterless knockdown. It's always been true that most characters in this game have some kind of option that overpowers things Axl can do in <5 frames, so your game is to put yourself in positions Axl wins. The problem is, now the reward for doing that is like, a little damage and a reset to neutral in a huge number of situations unless you have 50% meter. The character worked because you got knockdown off those situations before, and could start your oki from effectively any range.

Counterhit grounded 5P from fullscreen? Your confirm is Rensen. Call out a projectile and beat it? Rensen. Midscreen confirm? Rensen. Stopped a grounded approach? Probably Rensen. I think that knocking down again is going to be important. If they'd give us KD on the dragonpunch too, that'd be great.

I completely agree that's y i feel that once the new patch comes we are back in the ball game. With throw combo ending in 5p rensen and yrc rensen, we're gonna be a real threat. And if I'm not mistaken we also have more hitstop ( I think is the term for this game) on bomber giving us a guaranteed third rep in the corner for knockdown. Our mission is to develop this oki and get this ball rolling. But i sure do miss 2h>2d

Hitstop or hitpause is just the amount of time both characters are frozen as soon as the attack hits. Hitstun or untech time (Since it's an aerial hit) is the term you're looking for,

Hitstop should never affect a combo unless projectiles are involved.

Anyway, I have some decent oki theory in this game already, especially at 25% meter. I think rensen KD and YRC are very big tools that will change neutral and conversion games significantly, so I'm guessing Axl will rise, especially given other characters' changes.

What are the Axl safe jumps again? In Xrd I only know the 2D into rising j.6p to falling j.k one. If I remember right there is also an iad j.S one but I forgot which knockdown uses it (tk Bomber?). 

Edit: I shouldn't have skimmed the thread, Watches already gave some good examples. Sorry.

Is there a secret to 6H > YRC Airdash? Can't seem to get it.

Yaxl does it around 1:44

You have to jump install to get the airdash after the 6H YRC.

Any examples in terms of inputs? Not familiar with JIs since i never needed them.

The long story short is you can jump install by jump canceling a normal, but chaining into another normal before you leave the ground.

In the video you linked, Yaxl uses the blockstring before the 6H YRC to jump install (probably jump installs the c.S, but it can be any jump cancelable normal) and then consumes the jump install after the airborne state of the 6H YRC.

An example input I used a lot in AC/+R is c.S-8H (The 8 gives you the jump install, since c.S is JCable, but you cancel into 5H before you leave the ground). 

So you could do 5K-c.S-82H-6H (YRC) Airdash, for example.

So what exactly is Axl's gameplan?

Is it just play a mid range zoning game or what?

Axl's gameplan is to keep your opponent out and frustrated. Having a strong keep away ground game that forces your opponent into the air and to make mistakes for Axl to take advantage of. Axl has strong AA buttons like 6K and 2S that he gets a lot of his damage off of. Mid Range Zoning is his strongest attribute IMO.

Axl's gameplan is to keep your opponent out and frustrated. Having a strong keep away ground game that forces your opponent into the air and to make mistakes for Axl to take advantage of. Axl has strong AA buttons like 6K and 2S that he gets a lot of his damage off of. Mid Range Zoning is his strongest attribute IMO.

Sounds great any advice against guys that can get in really fast like Chipp or Sol?

Sounds great any advice against guys that can get in really fast like Chipp or Sol?

Sol is a good fight for Axl IMO. You can control him and his movement pretty well to keep him out. Rensen negates Gunflame, You can use 5P, 5K to keep him from getting out once you force him to try to airdash in. Chipp on the otherhand is a problem. Chipp and Millia get in for free against you. Their movement options are way too strong. You're going to have to resort to a lot of guessing and hard reads against chipp because of his teleport. The upside is that a good guess can get you good damage against him. Honestly if i play against a nutty chipp i try to catch him off guard by being kinda nutty myself. It doesn't always work but i catching a chipp off guard and putting them on tilt can be enough to force them to play more at your speed.