Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poultrygeist

Bedman Q&A/FAQ thread: People play this guy I swear!

I'm going through and fixing up Bedman's page on the Guilty Gear wiki (not the dustloop one since I don't have access to that) and I thought to spruce up his "Gameplay" section. Would you say this is a pretty decent summary of how Bedman works? I'll be working on more things for the Bedman forums / all things Bedman related from here, but I just wanted some community input whilst doing this.

http://guilty-gear.wikia.com/wiki/Bedman#Gameplay

I hope you like my small contribution to our >ResidentSleeper.

Edit: Apologies if you notice grammar mistakes through that. I'm promptly fixing those up as I reread through the wiki page.

One thing to note is not to combo into hemi jack. 

That's the only thing I have to say about that super, combing into it removes the dizzy effect, and its damage is already a joke.

Also hemi jacks distance seems to vary a lil bit depending on where you use it, but don't quote me I very rarely use it. 

I'm finding with bedman we are better off spending more time messing with his neutral game and oki then trying to further optimize his combos. He can hit some HIGH numbers but everything over 200 pretty much requires preset seals, which isn't always ideal unless a 5C drags them into the right position.

Honestly I don't think his ground throw game is his focus...Bedman has more than enough tools to mix, using his airdashes. Mixup your airdash chains as well as your ground pressure.

What would you guys say is Bedman's best way out of a grab setup? I lnow jumping gets ypu out of the grab, but chances are theyre OSing you, so backdash maybe? Idk

Jump or mash depending on meter and how you think the foe will react. You can fd previous moves of you suspect a grab. His backdash is slow enough to be punished if expected but may get him out if the foe doesn't think he will do it and does something that loses to it. Dp works if they aren't already point blank.

I think bedman is a spacing and setup char. He initially needs space to set up tasks a b and c be it in neutral or as oki. He gets that by doing tricky air movement like triangle jumps to confuse the foe on the horizontal plane, and using his long range poke and anti air to get his oki started early on hit. If he gets a fraction of space to use task a he does it, matchup dependant. Once task a is out he plays timer with the foe, it's a great disruption tool fast, hits twice and forces certain movement from the foe or he/she risks getting set up on. He uses tasks a and 2/3h to get the foe respecting his game along with his anti airs. Then, if he can, he whiffs task b or c to have stronger options in neutral. Rinse and repeat. At any time he is threatened he hopes he has enough meter for fd, shield, yrc, overdrive. And hopes its enough.

On those he can't setup on he really sticks to strongest pokes (fs, js, 6p, task a) and air movement until he can get in or get a knockdown. Doesn't mean the rest of his moves are useless, dash parry can be decent in certain matchups, so can 6c and so on, really depends on the foes char. Basically the more moves you let bedman do the more screwed you are. So bedman has to keep moving so the foe would be more worried about how he is going to move instead of waiting to punish a predictable attack

I'm finding with bedman we are better off spending more time messing with his neutral game and oki then trying to further optimize his combos. He can hit some HIGH numbers but everything over 200 pretty much requires preset seals, which isn't always ideal unless a 5C drags them into the right position.

This is where I'm at too.  I'm comfortable with the damage I'm doing.  It is more time for me to work on good Oki and MUs (seriously, I feel like I have an exception to at least one combo going into every round).

I'm also trying to work on making sure I can turn stray hits into advantage.  Things like an A' that hit a jumping opponent often turn into a disadvantage.  Even the standard dust combo seems to put us at a disadvantage since they air tech after it, and we're often in the corner with no real answer but block (I'm trying D > 8 > jD > jD > jS > 88 > Task C... not sure if it will play out or not).

How do you mixup with Bedman? My pressure usually ends when my opponent blocks my dejavu's.

One thing I would suggest is not always using seals and tasks as method of direct attack.

Consider this little example. You confirm into task B, opponent will soon wake up and you have to do something about it:

- you can do DVB YRC and as he wakes up attempt some 8-way dash shanenigans. This way you can directly mix them up and hopefully confirm into another Task B or Task C ender. This is good and preferable at first, but the opponent will get used to it quickly and even if you're very familiar with your options it will be hard to catch him every time

- you can, however, DVB YRC, throw Task A and then just go in with blockstrings. It's a much easier situation for reversal bait and you now have two seals set up, plus Task A will cover you on its return if the enemy decides to block. From here you should be able to DVB again and after that maybe even have enough time for DVA to extend pressure even more.

- you could even DVB YRC, jump high up and fall down with air Task C, or jump task A into airdash into task C.

This can also be applied to a neutral game, for example jump Task A, then fish for either j.S or far S > 6H, if you time it well projectile return could give you enough time for DVA and again extend pressure. While we're at it - NEVER FORGET YOUR THROW.

I think if you work on having very solid token setup/returning Task A cover/Deja Vu cancel game you could pressure to the point where the enemy doesn't take much damage, but gets impatient from being on the defense. Then he will press the wrong button and you can score a lot of damage. While that sounds like dry theory I noticed that only when I started to utilize this approach I could legitimately annoy and exploit mistakes of solid players.

tl;dr - sometimes playing it safer and slower might open up many more mixup possibilities than going for obvious mixup chances.

After throwing the opp to the wall and i was outside clS or 5S juggle combo but at range of 5S.. what is my best option after it ??. when i cancel it to task A Prime if the opp just recovered without jumping or any other thing the task A Prim  he will block or get hit by it him whatever direction he choose to go.. or is it  better not to use the 5S and go for oki 

I'm kind of confused by your post. If you land a corner throw and you're in range to combo you should do it.

Edit: Necro is right that if you can't combo TK 236K is a good option

My usual combo off a corner throw is

5K>5S>j.P>j.S>*Up Dash*>j.K>j.S>Task B.

I don't use this too often though because they can tech forward at the end, leaving you in the corner. Also, for all the work put into doing it, a decent Oki layout could've been placed in exchange.

This combo is almost universal and leaves you in a MUUUUUCH better position

throw>5K>f.S>j.S>6j.S>c.S>236HS

You can vary it from person to person, on Millia and Elph (maybe a few others), take out the f.S. got about 125 damage on Sol I think

Hi there. New GG player and have decided to main Bedman. I have two questions:

First, what are Bedman's best air normals? The wiki didn't have info on any except j.k and j.D (which are both good). Are those the only two notable ones or are others good, too?

Second, I'm having trouble with the dust combo that goes 5D > j.D > j.D > j.S > Airdash (9) > j.S > 236S because sometimes the airdash doesn't work and when it does I have a hard time following up with the j.S. Is there a trick to pulling it off correctly or does it just take practice? Thanks.

His air normals are good enough, but not particularly overwhelming. From what I've played, there is no "press x and win" button, but j.P and j.S are good air to airs, while j.K and j.HS are good air to ground moves. j.D is only really good for instant overhead, but can be used for some gimmicky air dash pressure.

It just takes time. Some people say it's easier to get the hold the direction for the dash, but imo you should only ever use dust in the corner since Bedman's midscreen dust combos don't get him a lot. You could try doing j.P though before the j.S

I kinda think j.P is his best air normal.  It has really good range for a jump P though it's slightly slower than others (other characters have 5 frame j.P).  You can use it air to air and air to ground and it beats out a lot of things.  

His air normals are good enough, but not particularly overwhelming. From what I've played, there is no "press x and win" button, but j.P and j.S are good air to airs, while j.K and j.HS are good air to ground moves. j.D is only really good for instant overhead, but can be used for some gimmicky air dash pressure.

It just takes time. Some people say it's easier to get the hold the direction for the dash, but imo you should only ever use dust in the corner since Bedman's midscreen dust combos don't get him a lot. You could try doing j.P though before the j.S

I kinda think j.P is his best air normal.  It has really good range for a jump P though it's slightly slower than others (other characters have 5 frame j.P).  You can use it air to air and air to ground and it beats out a lot of things.  

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely use those normals and just keep practicing the dust combo. I know i'll get it eventually.

I started learning Bedman recently and have a few questions.

1. When doing the airdash into a low, should I do j.h for a smoother landing or does it not even matter?

2. What are some good 6h setups? I know one where you do 2p then delay chain to 6h, but that's all I got. Also is that move throw invul in 1.1?

3. What are some good oki choices against characters with reversals? What are the go to oki choices without Task B/C seals? 

4. I was testing dust combos and I think that certain ones don't work on Zato. Does j.d-j.d not work on certain characters? 

5. On defense what should I prioritize meter on? I usually go for guard cancel.  

1. j.H makes you land faster I think. Might as well, but probably not a huge deal.

2. It has late throw invul in 1.1. Some setups

Air throw 6H (this works even at corner)

236K walk 6H

214S DV walk 6H

214H DV yrc walk 6H

3. Task A' if you can. Safejump would be best otherwise. 6h can crossup some reversals.

4. J.D j.D should work on everyone if you're close enough.

5. DAA is good but expensive, so don't use it unless you are pretty sure you won't escape the corner without it. It doesn't hit above bedman very well so it works best when blocking a ground normal. Clock overdrive and blitz can be good too if you know when to use them. Depends on matchup and what moves the other player is using. If you can find a safe spot to superjump into air 236S yrc that's a good corner escape.

1. j.D is faster than j.H and accomplishes the same thing faster (ours doesnt have that pesky landing recovery) Edit: may need further testing on this, could be completely wrong xD

2. Tiamat covered this pretty well, just be careful until 1.1 cuz throw mashers can easily grab you out of 6H

3. Expanding off this, you can safejump all reversals after 2D and task C knockdowns. Some can be safejumped with task B, but its not universal

4. Like Tiamat sad, close enough. Sometimes its best to just go for j.S if you cant confirm into a j.D correctly.

5. We also have general system mechanics such as burst and FD There's also more unexpected defenses we have such as backdash and forward dash YRC. Clock overdrive is almost free though if you can confirm they cant throw you. Some times, if they plan on throwing you out if it and you have an extra 25 meter, you can YRC and eat their input

3. What are some good oki choices against characters with reversals? What are the go to oki choices without Task B/C seals? 

Something fairly simple yet very effective*, if you have a task C seal out, call the seal before they wake up. Stand just out of their throw range and block. If you confirm they don't throw out a reversal they're probably blocking. Walk up and throw. You have the fastest walk speed in the game. Or just start pressure. 

*Do this if you don't want to safejump. 

I never figured out how ppl manage to squeeze in those hit after the 3rd hit of task C. I know it's height specific but I never manage to get the timing to even close to being right... any tips?

And doing j.H on a 1 or 3 float will slightly alter your momentum, causing you to land a bit away from the point you normally land on , and also faster + it create an illusion for the opponent that you're doing something when you're not cause the j.H animation come out but the j.H didn't start up fully, making them think that you're doing an overhead but you actually isn't. One useful use of this is that it allow you to do your corner air YRC Task A setup safely if you get your height right cause normally when you try to go for a 2K, if the opp do an OS he can easily throw u no prob due to the normal float landing being too close, , but with j.H it would be perfectly safe

Air throw 6H (this works even at corner)

236K walk 6H

214S DV walk 6H

214H DV yrc walk 6H

I would add to 6H cross-up setups "works in hit or block..but you must be close"

1- AD jK.jS 6H

2- AD jH

I wanna ask:

1- After knocking opp down then doing non-yrc DVC. what are good options after it in middle of screen or corner in Hit/Block ?? i see some Japanese player do T"A ..the only thing that i found if both hit you can combo to clS...etc..anything else??

2-  Regarding instant jD overhead to( DV"A. clS ..etc)combos i didn't understand 2 situations after teleport ..

A- Standing DV"A is harder to follow-up than Air DV"A there a huge time normals can't came out.. (2P worked some times.)

B- If DV"A projectile came from behind of opp connecting combo is much easier..Why??

I'm not totally sure I understand the questions.

1.  You mean what do you do after DV Task B and DV Task C if you can't YRC?

A - You mean it doesn't let you attack right away from the teleport?  I have noticed it feels like there is lag time if you are already doing something when you teleport but I'm not sure on specifics.  Air DV A' is better because it won't miss them even if they are crouching.  

B - If Task A' or DV task A' connects from behind bedman will teleport closer to the opponent than he does from the front.  For example, from the front you can combo 2K to 5H (1 hit) but if it connected from behind you will be closer and 2K 5H (2 hit) will be possible.