Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alecmerkel

Millia Basics

Hello, I am  complete n00b to guilty gear. I've played Accent core and many other versions of it in Ps2 and played Blaze Blu as well, but could never get passed the button mashing phase.... I've always liked Millia and always wanted to learn to play her but I am clueless on how to even start learning her.

I've recently bought XRD and am attempting to go full retard. I would greatly appreciate any tips and advice anyone has on learning the game in general and even better some specific Millia advice. I know basic notation but some of these combos have things I've never seen like j.SD......

I have no idea how to do IADF = jump cancel into instant air dash forwards

IADB = jump cancel into instant air dash backwards or even jump cancels.... I drop all my aircombos after I 2H,... I feel hopeless. I've seen some videos and Millias seem to do lots of 236 H to instant Bad moon. HOW?? I keep trying and nothing. Do I need a fight-stick to get the inputs quicker??

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just tired of being a dirty nasty n00b. And really need help.

You have basically two "kinds" of IAD. You have the one in the tutorial, when you have to jump and immediatly dash, by pressing 89 (or 87). And with Millia, you often have to IAD just after j.D, which can be a little tricky at the beginning. All you have to do is "wait" a little during the move, to get the proper timing, and then you air dash. Using 99 (or 77) makes it easier, and you can briefly maintain the second 9.

Instant Bad Moon is in fact 2369(8)P, and not just j.236P. Generally speaking, I think execution is a question of feeling and about perfectly knowing the inputs. If you know what to do very well, without mashing or thinking too much, if it's clear in your head (even before having it mechanically in your fingers), it will be way easier to perform the combos. And sometimes, you will fail many times, and then, you will find a sensation or a trick, understand something, and you'll be able to perform them consistently. Of course, practice is the best way to improve, with watching videos (for Millia players, you have Woshige, Toruso, Nakamura, Satou etc...)

A lot of Millia's fundamentals going back to GGX involve using her crouching HS to air juggle the opponent and following up with attacks in the air, using air dash to extend the combos further. Silent Force (qcb S) allows you to get more float time on a juggled opponent and also can stun them when you're jumping or dashing in, although it has been significantly slowed in Xrd.

Millia also has some excellent mixup tools in her arsenal, like IA Bad Moon, Iron Saviour, and her 6K overhead. Her ground game involves getting a knockdown and then keeping your opponent in block state with HS Tandem Top or Secret Garden, forcing them to guess how to block.

Personally I am also a huge fan of her 6P, which staggers, but it has slow startup so watch out. I have also found that her 6HS seems to catch many people off guard in Xrd due to its extreme range on the second hit, and perhaps because it is a new move.

Anyway those are just some basics. I've played Millia for a long time but I'm hardly a pro.

edit: Her tandem top overdrive, Emerald Rain, is a pretty good use of meter. You can cancel normals and specials into it and it causes wall bounce, which allows you to combo afterwards.

Thanks for the tips.

I can almost do instant bad moon on command.

I still can't do her breed and butter and I'm finding a hard time finding openings while fighting. My fundamentals are crap. I don't know how to practice this in practice mode.

Honestly you might just want to try playing Arcade Mode for a while. The computer is somewhat predictable but it's a good mid-step between just doing practice mode and fighting skilled human players, which can be intimidating. Arcade Mode will give you a sense of how to use Millia's moves in context. Just keep practicing.

And despite what people say, you don't need to be doing instant air dash combos all the time. I feel like a lot of people get intimidated with games like Guilty Gear because the more pro players tend to have an attitude of "do the most perfect, most complicated, most optimal combos all the time or don't play the game until you can." That is a dumb mentality to have toward people who are just starting out. You need to learn the fundamentals first, and it will take a while, so don't worry about it or rush too much. Just have fun.

Hi, I'm new to GGXrd. 

With Millia I'm having a tough time figuring out how to get close to my opponent without getting smashed. Aside from Bad Mood, what are other good ways to get inside? 

I'm a newbie on GG and Millia, and want to know something (that maybe a lot of people want too):

Besides TK Bad Moon and 6B > 236S, which hig attacks are able to initiate combos?

AFAIK, these are your only combo-able high options outside of jumping normals.

6HS also hits overhead on the 2nd hit but it's going to start a combo at all.

Obviously TK BM is only going to start something when you RC it or when there's a ring on the to help follow-up.

AFAIK, these are your only combo-able high options outside of jumping normals.

6HS also hits overhead on the 2nd hit but it's going to start a combo at all.

Obviously TK BM is only going to start something when you RC it or when there's a ring on the to help follow-up.

I already now that, but my problem is that I see that every jumping normal has very little hitstun to be followed on a grounded opponent, is a timing problem? Or are they only followable with a very low air dash?

I already now that, but my problem is that I see that every jumping normal has very little hitstun to be followed on a grounded opponent, is a timing problem? Or are they only followable with a very low air dash?

Check out the video I posted. I'm pretty sure you can still hit confirm into Silent Force with j.S like that, which is an excellent way to get in.

Honestly though, if you can jump in with Millia and just force your opponent to block your air normal you are already winning. Most of the time you will be able to continue pressure when you land, and that's your opportunity to use her great mixup game.

For TK Moon (or any TK move in Xrd), just wait a little bit to push the button. Watch for the character to leave the floor. There is a minimal height for air specials (figured this out while learning Axl's TK bomber). Just calmly do 2369 and then calmly push the button. See if that works for you.

For TK Moon (or any TK move in Xrd), just wait a little bit to push the button. Watch for the character to leave the floor. There is a minimal height for air specials (figured this out while learning Axl's TK bomber). Just calmly do 2369 and then calmly push the button. See if that works for you.

To me,  it works to try to do the 2369 input "perfectly" before pressing P, because of the same thing, it can't be done too fast.

I see a lot of stuff about IAD after j.D, TK Bad Moon or Secret Garden with 4 inputs (and of course, the fact that combos is more important for her than some other characters). Is she a heavy execution character compared to the majority of the cast ?

I see a lot of stuff about IAD after j.D, TK Bad Moon or Secret Garden with 4 inputs (and of course, the fact that combos is more important for her than some other characters). Is she a heavy execution character compared to the majority of the cast ?

Not really, her execution is low, but her combos do low damage and her best combos need very little distance and some specific starters.

Yeah Millia isn't super execution heavy, though some of her stuff can be.  But she does require a strong knowledge of the neutral game, being able to analyze risk/reward options (ie. who you can get away with pressing buttons against), and being able to work with her limited normals to create openings.  For keeping the pressure on from non-corner knockdown situations, you need to be comfortable with the concept of giving up potential frame advantage to punish the enemy's escape habits or vice versa (playing Zato teaches you this skill really well too).

So in a nutshell, here's what you need to know to play Millia at mid-level and above:

• Knowing your moveset very well, to be able to choose from the best of several mediocre options (at neutral)
  • Having the ability to perform tight mixup strings with minimal gaps when you get that corner knockdown
  • Being able to execute her basic tools at least 80-90% consistently - these include being able to use Silent Force for relaunches by delaying j.H, executing TK Bad Moon consistently, being able to do IAD combos, proper Secret Garden control
  • Being able to adapt to people who decide to mash out of things when logic dictates that they shouldn't

At a higher level you'll want to do things like:

• Hitconfirm from various situations into an RC to corner carry combo (using pin if needed)
  • Use Secret Garden instead of 236H after pin knockdowns, and learn strings that allow for a mixup between each hit of SG
  • Use burst bait YRC option select strings to bait enemy bursts while comboing

Thanks a lot for the pointers in this thread... the whole 99 for IAD in her bread in butter helped a lot. cause i knew my execution wasn't this bad but this game takes a bit of getting used to. I come from a BB background so its been a transition 

Just patience with Millia.

Im a Noob in GG, first time ever playing the game and ive been doing for a week or so now.

Picked her up as i thought if fit my playstyle.

As commented in here before:

IAD combos are not essential at begginer level but if you want to progress with her, you need to be able to do them consistently.

I spent 6 hours my second day in training mode in order to get the muscle memory to be able to do them from both sides without thinking too much. timing is weird a the beggining, u need to delay it a bit. After 2HS add a JK before JS>JHS to leave the opponent higher so you can do IAD>S>HS>pin and the launch him again and repeat.

Learn her BnBs and how to use her Oki tools properly.

Tandem top is your best buddy after an IAD corner carry combo, if they get hit..... 2HS and go for another IAD combo

keep your distances at optimal range to hit with 5HS and RC to follow up with ur combo of choice, IAD combo if possible for corner carry and oki the hell out it.

TK Badmoon is actually easier than it seems, and is relatively safe on block if not completely safe, you can bully with it any char that has not an invincible reversal.

If you set the Disc too close and your timing is not perfect you are taking the risk of getting grab,  2k if you meaty it will beat throws and some reversals, you can J.K, or even TK Badmoon if you have time, if they are crouching the will get hit.

U can probably backdash and still be at HS or S range,

Or even Dust and get them by surprise.....Dust combos let you at perfect timing for another TT OKi if you dive after HS.

if close, 214K>K>6 or 4 HS......Double rolll into grab. Dont abuse it, only once in a while.

2k>5S>D will caught them by surprise if they are noobies, and to some others as well :P

in general keep them guessing.....it reminds me to Makoto from SF, which is my main...in the sense that if you get an opening and your execution is good, the guessing game starts and they are pretty much in 50/50 situation all the time, at neutral even at 30/30 if you add roll setups. And you know...if you condition them properly they hit the panic button and is game over.

Millia can be a blast to play, if you are able to keep the flow of her movement, is one of the most beautiful chars to play and watch.

some oki setups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prxjpKkO8O0

in this video skip to 3:40, there is some BnBs and some basic okis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4eFiaAkXQ

My advice?

Get to training, learn IAD combos, if it takes u 6 hours, its ok, but get her loops down if you really want to enjoy her and win some battles.

Dont play reckless, it goes nowhere with her, she has low life :(

And get your defense down, blocking perfectly with Millia is a must, she has no "free out of Jail" options like other chars, aside from her super and burst.

All the pros in here, feel free to correct me if im giving any completely messed up info. willing to learn as well.

After playing enough matches online (I think), my combo list for now is like this:

Usually I use the j.PH ender. On Ky, Potemkin, Chip and Venom use j.KPH instead, unless they're too high. I recommend you always use the j.KPH ender
for Potemkin (The Dust combo doesn't have these exceptions).

In Midscreen, if I know that me and the opponent won't make it to the corner with enough distance, I cancel the first hit of j.H into j. 236B (Fastfall) so
we stay at short distance and with enough time to set a 236H. If I want to set the 236H but without being close, I use j.236B after the second hit of j.H.

a) c.S(1) > 2H > jc > j.SD > iAD > j.PH (You can use both hits of c.S at zero distance and/or with dash momentum)

b) 66 5K/ 66 2K > c.S(1) > 2H > jc > j.SD > IAD > j.PH

c) Throw > RC > 6H(1) > jc > j.KSD > IAD > j.PH

d) Dust > [9] > j.DD > IAD > j.PH

e) 2D > RC > 66 2H > jc > j.SD > IAD > j.PH

f) antiair 2H (low and medium height) > jc > j.SD > IAD > j.PH

g) antiair 2H (high height) > jc > j.D > IAD > j.PH

h) Set 236H > 6B > 66 2H > jc > j.SD > IAD > j.SH

i) antiair 5K(K)/ 5P(P) > jc > j.PKD > IAD > j.PH (after the starter, skip j.P if they're too high)

j) Set 236H > TK j.236P/214P > 6H(1) > jc > j.SD > IAD > j.PH

k) 6B > 236S > 5K > jc > j.KSD > IAD > j.PH Corner-only.

l) (5K/2K/2P) > f.S > 5H I don't finish with 2D because most of the time it whiffs, unless the combo starts with dash momentum.

m) (5K/2K/2P) > c.S > 5H(1) > 2D (must be very close)

n) In the air: j.PP/j.KP/j.S > j.H > j.236K

o) xx > c.S(1/2)/f.S > 5H > RC > 66 c.S(2) > 2H > jc > j.SD > iAD > j.PH

p) j.S > j.214S > 66 c.S(1) > 2H > jc > j.SD > iAD > j.PH

q) IAD > j.S > c.S(1) > 2H > c.S(1) > 2H > jc > j.SD > iAD > j.PH

r) Set 236H > 6B > delayed 6H(1) > jc > j.SD > IAD > j.PH (this is the combo when the j.KPH ender is mostly needed).

That's some pretty solid week 1 advice, Himura_Rage.  Just watch out, you actually can be thrown out of meaty 2K if you're within the enemy's throw range, since throws activate instantly.  This is only really an issue at midscreen knockdown, where you often need to be within throw range to hit with 2K and be able to follow up if it hits, but once you condition the enemy to stop wakeup throwing (by doing rising j.K or jump/IAD across) then you can start using point blank meaty 2K as a mixup tool.  Most everything else you mentioned is correct for the most part.

Here's something simple to mess around with when learning Millia: Roll mixups!  

Any blockstring into 5H, on block, follow with 214K...

1. 214K -> H - Simple frame trap that hits people trying to mash or jump out immediately
  2. 214K -> K - Double roll into throw, good occasionally. Eventually people will learn that there's a timeframe where they can mash, after they would block Digitalis (H followup) but before they can be roll thrown.  When this happens...
  3. 214K -> D - Counterhit dust setup that can catch people trying to stop your roll throw with mashing
  4. 214K -> S - Similar to above, but leaves you more open to getting hit, and a strong followup isn't possible unless you burn 50% for RC.  But gives big advantage even if they block, so you can do a small dash back in and continue pressure.

There are a lot of little mindgames you can play with the roll and its followups, and they're more likely to work at lower levels since your enemy won't know the universal counters, and since your pressure game isn't developed yet.  Eventually you'll want to stop stringing to 5H on block and instead stop at either 5K or 2S since these moves have more viable options available than 5H, which pretty much limits you to just roll or 2D on block.  But this stuff is good to try out, to see how your opponents deal with each option.

Maybe this should go under the game play thread but here is what I have been applying to Millia.

Throw>5S> 5H>214K..

requires no meter but the most damaging universal option I've found so far. I like to do this to see which direction my opponent has a habit of recovering. For those who recover back while not in the corner I use the K extension to gain ground, for neutral H extension (whiffs most of the time but often gets those who try to air dash. Lastly 2H for those who recover forward.

Another thing I practice and recommend is buffering movement into dash. Take the string 2K>5S>5H(1)>2D, unless your in the corner 236H is out of range and while 66>236H seems like the solution, its better to to input 236 during the last frames of 2D then direction 6 with a delayed H. It will cause you to dash and slide for a portion of the start up on 236H. It's also the tool you will need to preform IK combos. (shout out to Maker for the advice)

Maybe this should go under the game play thread but here is what I have been applying to Millia.

Throw>5S> 5H>214K..

requires no meter but the most damaging universal option I've found so far. I like to do this to see which direction my opponent has a habit of recovering. For those who recover back while not in the corner I use the K extension to gain ground, for neutral H extension (whiffs most of the time but often gets those who try to air dash. Lastly 2H for those who recover forward.

Another thing I practice and recommend is buffering movement into dash. Take the string 2K>5S>5H(1)>2D, unless your in the corner 236H is out of range and while 66>236H seems like the solution, its better to to input 236 during the last frames of 2D then direction 6 with a delayed H. It will cause you to dash and slide for a portion of the start up on 236H. It's also the tool you will need to preform IK combos. (shout out to Maker for the advice)

Yes, 2366HS is great, though some might find it tricky at first.

After a grab or 2D knockdown, calmly input 236, and then just tap and hold 6. It might seem like you have to rush it, but even doing it slowly will work. 

That's some pretty solid week 1 advice, Himura_Rage.  Just watch out, you actually can be thrown out of meaty 2K if you're within the enemy's throw range, since throws activate instantly.  This is only really an issue at midscreen knockdown, where you often need to be within throw range to hit with 2K and be able to follow up if it hits, but once you condition the enemy to stop wakeup throwing (by doing rising j.K or jump/IAD across) then you can start using point blank meaty 2K as a mixup tool.  Most everything else you mentioned is correct for the most part.

Here's something simple to mess around with when learning Millia: Roll mixups!  

Any blockstring into 5H, on block, follow with 214K...

1. 214K -> H - Simple frame trap that hits people trying to mash or jump out immediately
  2. 214K -> K - Double roll into throw, good occasionally. Eventually people will learn that there's a timeframe where they can mash, after they would block Digitalis (H followup) but before they can be roll thrown.  When this happens...
  3. 214K -> D - Counterhit dust setup that can catch people trying to stop your roll throw with mashing
  4. 214K -> S - Similar to above, but leaves you more open to getting hit, and a strong followup isn't possible unless you burn 50% for RC.  But gives big advantage even if they block, so you can do a small dash back in and continue pressure.

There are a lot of little mindgames you can play with the roll and its followups, and they're more likely to work at lower levels since your enemy won't know the universal counters, and since your pressure game isn't developed yet.  Eventually you'll want to stop stringing to 5H on block and instead stop at either 5K or 2S since these moves have more viable options available than 5H, which pretty much limits you to just roll or 2D on block.  But this stuff is good to try out, to see how your opponents deal with each option.

Thanx man :)

i apreciate a lot the corrections. Trying to get better with Millia.

And with this info it is time to hit the lab :D

ill share my experience in here as soon as get those setups to work in a real match!

:D