Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alecmerkel

Millia Basics

Any advice on how to use 214H? No matter how many times I try to do it, I can't get more than three inputs for the orb (and a 5/6/2H in the process).

The moment the orb is formed you should already be doing inputs. It might feel very preemptive but that's how you get 4 inputs for the orb. Just experiment with the timing, mash the inputs as fast as possible as soon as the orb forms. Stick or pad by itself should not be the determining factor of whether an input is succesful or not, that is entirely personal preference. :p

Any advice on how to use 214H? No matter how many times I try to do it, I can't get more than three inputs for the orb (and a 5/6/2H in the process).

Everyone has their own way of doing it. I use a pad with analog sticks, but for SG inputs I use the D-Pad. Whether or not you are on stick doesn't really make a difference. Just dick around with it and you'll find your method.

So, I'm kind of having problems. I find that I'm quite good at choosing when to use which moves, when to pin, and generally playing head games with my opponent. If all I had to do was make the right choices at the right times, I would be winning a lot. But my problem is with my ground game, and with combos... I don't even drop combos, I just straight up don't do them. For some reason, despite doing the BnB over and over in training mode, I find that in real matches I mash P and K on the ground and push my opponent away before I can get a combo in. I also find that way, way too often I end up doing c.HS instead of H Disc because I'm mashing and trying to do my inputs too fast. I guess my problem is that I just need to relax... It's easy to do things in training mode with no pressure being applied, but the speed of matches in GG is so fast that I go into hyper-mashy mode when I actually play another person. I feel like it'd help if I had some in-person competition, instead of always playing people online, but I guess there's nothing to do but practice more and try to play without becoming stressed.

Oddly, I find that I mash way more as I become fatigued as well. Like today I did some ranked matches and in a couple of them I was extremely on-point and executing some combos properly in addition to choosing the right confirming hits at the right times, but after that I went into player matches and after 5-10 of those I was just losing all focus. Good to take breaks, I guess. Millia is not exactly a breeze to play...

So, I'm kind of having problems. I find that I'm quite good at choosing when to use which moves, when to pin, and generally playing head games with my opponent. If all I had to do was make the right choices at the right times, I would be winning a lot. But my problem is with my ground game, and with combos... I don't even drop combos, I just straight up don't do them. For some reason, despite doing the BnB over and over in training mode, I find that in real matches I mash P and K on the ground and push my opponent away before I can get a combo in. I also find that way, way too often I end up doing c.HS instead of H Disc because I'm mashing and trying to do my inputs too fast. I guess my problem is that I just need to relax... It's easy to do things in training mode with no pressure being applied, but the speed of matches in GG is so fast that I go into hyper-mashy mode when I actually play another person. I feel like it'd help if I had some in-person competition, instead of always playing people online, but I guess there's nothing to do but practice more and try to play without becoming stressed.

Oddly, I find that I mash way more as I become fatigued as well. Like today I did some ranked matches and in a couple of them I was extremely on-point and executing some combos properly in addition to choosing the right confirming hits at the right times, but after that I went into player matches and after 5-10 of those I was just losing all focus. Good to take breaks, I guess. Millia is not exactly a breeze to play...

Her execution is easy, but that's it, nothing else on her is easy xD

Just focus on one thing: get a knockdown.

Don't focus on doing a specific combo at all costs, just work on getting a knockdown in any way you can think of, even by just simply poking with 2D. With time you'll learn when it's the right moment to go for the right BnB after each type of hitconfirm you get. Now just think of how you can convert your stray hits into a knockdown. After you've gotten consistent with that start focusing on how you can get the best damage and best knockdown out of the same situations.

I've seen Millias online trying to dash in and do straight c.S>2HS when the opponent was clearly ready to block, probably because they've been practicing the combo in training mode and they are itching to do it asap.

No no no. You only do that after you have hitconfirmed first (either pin, or oki setups). But if you're in neutral you just need to focus on getting a knockdown, even if it's a simple hitconfirm off 2K/5S into 5H>2D, or an air hitconfirm into jH. That's what Millia is about. All the IAD combos and relaunch combos are a consequence of having first learned how to get your momentum going by properly setting up knockdown and oki.

Just focus on one thing: get a knockdown.

Don't focus on doing a specific combo at all costs, just work on getting a knockdown in any way you can think of, even by just simply poking with 2D. With time you'll learn when it's the right moment to go for the right BnB after each type of hitconfirm you get. Now just think of how you can convert your stray hits into a knockdown. After you've gotten consistent with that start focusing on how you can get the best damage and best knockdown out of the same situations.

I've seen Millias online trying to dash in and do straight c.S>2HS when the opponent was clearly ready to block, probably because they've been practicing the combo in training mode and they are itching to do it asap.

No no no. You only do that after you have hitconfirmed first (either pin, or oki setups). But if you're in neutral you just need to focus on getting a knockdown, even if it's a simple hitconfirm off 2K/5S into 5H>2D, or an air hitconfirm into jH. That's what Millia is about. All the IAD combos and relaunch combos are a consequence of having first learned how to get your momentum going by properly setting up knockdown and oki.

Given how much desperate I am for getting a knockdown lately, I tested 5K, 2K and 2P followed by 5H(1) > 2D. 5K gets the knockdown until certain distance, 2P has worse range than 5K so it doesn't matter, just follow it with 5H(1) > 2D, but . . . 2K doesn't cancel into 5H, why? I tried it 10 times and it didn't work. Well, at least now I have a reason to use 2P while not doing mixups.

think about it this way, if you could chain both 5K and 2K into 5H, would there ever be a situation where you'd want to use 5K? Since 2K is low and gives frame advantage it would outclass 5K in almost all situations. It's just a way to balance her moves. Note how most other characters can combo into their 2D directly from a fast P or K button while Millia can't. That's because a knockdown is just that much more powerful for her so it would be pretty ridiculous if she could do that.

Given how much desperate I am for getting a knockdown lately, I tested 5K, 2K and 2P followed by 5H(1) > 2D. 5K gets the knockdown until certain distance, 2P has worse range than 5K so it doesn't matter, just follow it with 5H(1) > 2D, but . . . 2K doesn't cancel into 5H, why? I tried it 10 times and it didn't work. Well, at least now I have a reason to use 2P while not doing mixups.

2K>5S>5H>2D

Or just poke with 5S>5H>2D if you think 2K is going to push your opponent out of range for the sweep. Or just simply poke with 2D (it's one of her best pokes). Don't get obsessed in using one normal in particular, think of what normals you can use in each matchup. 2K sometimes can be a good poke if you can quickly dash in but you'll also find out that it can be very risky if your opponent has good pokes. 

In the air just confirm any jP or jK into a small chain that you can end with jH. It's not easy but it's what you have to learn first before focusing on flashy combos. Learn to get the knockdown off as many situations as you can, work on tightening your oki and after that you can start thinking of how you can make the best in terms of damage and what are the the best combos you should be looking to do out of these situations.

Don't go autopilot trying to c.S>2H>air bnb in neutral, learn to do that only after you have succesfully hitconfirmed (either pin, CH air-to-air when you're close to the ground, pokes into RC, and obviously oki).

Just think "What can I do against this character to get in and score a knockdown?" Whether it's 5S, or a straight 2D, whether it's the pin, or a jP/jK. Focus on that, after a while you'll start recognizing yourself which are the situations where you can go for her IAD bnbs and whatnot.

If you need any reference just watch any of Woshige's matches. He's the player who likely embodies the concept of "knockdown first and foremost" more than anyone else.

2K>5S>5H>2D

Or just poke with 5S>5H>2D if you think 2K is going to push your opponent out of range for the sweep. Or just simply poke with 2D (it's one of her best pokes). Don't get obsessed in using one normal in particular, think of what normals you can use in each matchup. 2K sometimes can be a good poke if you can quickly dash in but you'll also find out that it can be very risky if your opponent has good pokes. 

In the air just confirm any jP or jK into a small chain that you can end with jH. It's not easy but it's what you have to learn first before focusing on flashy combos. Learn to get the knockdown off as many situations as you can, work on tightening your oki and after that you can start thinking of how you can make the best in terms of damage and what are the the best combos you should be looking to do out of these situations.

Don't go autopilot trying to c.S>2H>air bnb in neutral, learn to do that only after you have succesfully hitconfirmed (either pin, CH air-to-air when you're close to the ground, pokes into RC, and obviously oki).

Just think "What can I do against this character to get in and score a knockdown?" Whether it's 5S, or a straight 2D, whether it's the pin, or a jP/jK. Focus on that, after a while you'll start recognizing yourself which are the situations where you can go for her IAD bnbs and whatnot.

If you need any reference just watch any of Woshige's matches. He's the player who likely embodies the concept of "knockdown first and foremost" more than anyone else.

My proble isn't my goal with Millia (damage or knockdown), but getting any kind of knockdown: Even with 5K/2P > 5H(1) > 2D needs to be very close and usually you can do the Bnb from that distance. And while Millia isn't very close, she needs dash momentum to do a knockdown. That means that if a Millia player mash a fast button in a pressure hole, unless he/she uses 50 tension there won't be a knockdown at all, and can even be punished for whiffing 2D.

My proble isn't my goal with Millia (damage or knockdown), but getting any kind of knockdown: Even with 5K/2P > 5H(1) > 2D needs to be very close and usually you can do the Bnb from that distance. And while Millia isn't very close, she needs dash momentum to do a knockdown. That means that if a Millia player mash a fast button in a pressure hole, unless he/she uses 50 tension there won't be a knockdown at all, and can even be punished for whiffing 2D.

If you think 2D is going to whiff, then just do 2K -> 5S -> 2D. Knockdown. Although when I manage to squeeze out a 2K when I'm being pressured and it hits, you can actually just go into your air bnb.

It's kind of a balancing factor that Millia can't get clean confirms too often, otherwise the character may be broken

If you think 2D is going to whiff, then just do 2K -> 5S -> 2D. Knockdown. Although when I manage to squeeze out a 2K when I'm being pressured and it hits, you can actually just go into your air bnb.

It's kind of a balancing factor that Millia can't get clean confirms too often, otherwise the character may be broken

f.S doesn't cancel into 2D, only c.S, and with c.S is better to do the Bnb.

Just think "What can I do against this character to get in and score a knockdown?" Whether it's 5S, or a straight 2D, whether it's the pin, or a jP/jK.

Gospel

There are times when S© will not combo to 2H, but in those situations, 5H-2D will connect.

Any advices on Millia's neutral game? I disgusted seeing that everyone chooses characters with good range or run and jump a lot when I try to hit them.

Any advices on Millia's neutral game? I disgusted seeing that everyone chooses characters with good range or run and jump a lot when I try to hit them.

It various between matches. I think u maybe having problems with approaches from the way u word ur words. Different buttons do different things in different matches.

I'm fairly new to the GG series in general, but I was watching a lot of matches and I realized I really  like Millia. I'm puzzled as to how disc oki works though. Can't they easily disrespect with mash or reversals, if you get them with just a 2d for knockdown midscreen? And what's to stop mash in the corner? I know I don't have the timing down yet, but so far 6k is the only thing stopping mash, and even that has to be spaced. Am I missing something? Is that why people tend to only start setups after the IAD combo? Feel free to explain it as blunt as possible, I'm pretty much the definition of new to this series.

I'm fairly new to the GG series in general, but I was watching a lot of matches and I realized I really  like Millia. I'm puzzled as to how disc oki works though. Can't they easily disrespect with mash or reversals, if you get them with just a 2d for knockdown midscreen? And what's to stop mash in the corner? I know I don't have the timing down yet, but so far 6k is the only thing stopping mash, and even that has to be spaced. Am I missing something? Is that why people tend to only start setups after the IAD combo? Feel free to explain it as blunt as possible, I'm pretty much the definition of new to this series.

From what I've seen, you have to bait them first so the get scared of mashing anything. I think you can bait them with back dash or jump neutral (with FD if they have DP or a 5P antiair), then in the next disc setup you can do mixups. The problem is that people online are too YOLO, so you better get used to bait a lot.

It all depends on:

1) What type of knockdown you get (face-down, face-up). 2D gives a face-up face down knowdown while most other things (most importantly throw, j.H) will give a face-down face-up knockdown. Generally face-down face-up takes the opponent longer to get up (aka you have more advantage).

2) When you set disc. If you set it later, it will obviously delay your next action, which might give the opponent enough time to mash out. So generally the earlier you can set it, the better.

For 2D knockdown: It gives you very little advantage because you have to close the gap between you and the opponent before setting the disc (either canceling into roll or letting it recover and doing a dashing disc with 2366H). For this reason it's easy for them to mash or jump out if you do a slow mixup (an overhead for example). To beat this, you can use 2K, and once you've conditioned them to stay still you can use other mixups.

j.H midscreen: same, since you have to dash before the disc,

j.H corner: You can set the disc as soon as you land, and it will give you enough advantage that your opponent absolutely cannot mash or jump out of your mixup if you do not mess up, unless he uses an invincible reversal.

Any time you set the disc you can YRC it to give yourself more advantage. Because of the slowdown it takes the opponent longer to get up. This is a good workaround for those disc setups that normally aren't as advantageous.

advantage advantage advantage advantage advantage advantage advantage advantage

Ok that makes a lot more sense. Didn't even know about the different kds. So how does she set up off the first knockdown? Usual shenans in iad buttons on wakeup or is it usually some sort of pressure string? Is it possible to get the knockdown and run them to the corner?  I'm just trying to set up a better than barebones game plan for training. I get the knockdown first combo after deal, but I'm not understanding what's to stop people from mashing, off of 2d in particular. Meaty pressure to condition vs mash, then opening them up for proper mixups?

Sorry if I come off daft, I'm just confused since risk reward seems to be in their favor usually considering millia has crap health.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. Didn't even know about the different kds. So how does she set up off the first knockdown? Usual shenans in iad buttons on wakeup or is it usually some sort of pressure string? Is it possible to get the knockdown and run them to the corner?  I'm just trying to set up a better than barebones game plan for training. I get the knockdown first combo after deal, but I'm not understanding what's to stop people from mashing, off of 2d in particular. Meaty pressure to condition vs mash, then opening them up for proper mixups? Sorry if I come off daft, I'm just confused since risk reward seems to be in their favor usually considering millia has crap health.

I'm pretty new to GG myself, but I'll try my best to be of help.

Midscreen, if you set the disc off of 2D and then either use meaty 2k or IAD crossup, if the disc connects you can convert it into a full air combo ending in a corner knockdown. If they try to mash they will lose to both of these, eat the disc, get combo'd, and end up trapped in the corner. Being knocked down in the corner against Millia is one of the worst possible positions to be in, so they might think twice before mashing next time. Once you've established that you know what you're doing, then you can add TK Bad Moon to your midscreen mixups giving you a proper high/low/crossup, but only after you've convinced them it's not in their interest to mash.

In the corner your mixups should always be meaty unless you're baiting a reversal (j.H air combo finisher gives you enough time to set the disk and then do a meaty 2D/6K/214P/2369P), that way they are forced to take your mixup and guess block. If they have a reversal then it's a bit different, because a DP will beat your mixup, so you have to bait those and punish accordingly. I believe there are some character specific setups that are safe from certain reversals, but don't quote me on that.

Hopefully somebody can correct me if I got anything wrong. I hope this helps.

they should be able to get out of the cross up easier then get out of IAD cross up IMO. you can easily OS the cross up and low if u have a dp

Has a good Millia primer come along anywhere yet? I'm looking for the standard: low opener mid screen, overhead opener mid screen (aerials and ground overheads), low started corner combo, overhead started corner combo (both aerial and ground overheads), basic oki theory and most important buttons to press in neutral.

Just looking for something concise somewhat comprehensive. Anything yet? Thanks a lot. 

- Kimosabae