Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

[Xrd] Venom Formations and Ball Setups Thread

Eshi ur videos are pretty interesting man. some nice Mix ups their for sure. solid stuff :)

Miss around with P,HS~ CR setups? maybe u will be able to find more stuff than i do. i commented on ur videos. a lot of ur stuff are escapable, so i presume u showed them as non guarenteed  mix ups correct? though never the less, they are really nice mind games, enjoy them a lot!

stuff

imo, much better this vid Teef! I'll add it to the first post (which I need to update) when you transcribe it a bit since it covers lots of different formations.

Add this to the vid description btw from your post to help those that found it via other means: "the video Starts with 1 ball Oki formations >> multiple and sequential oki formations Mid Screen >> 2 balls oki formation mid screens >> Corner oki formation >> Ball Formations in general >> Miscs."

Another phenomenal (Venom-inal? Heh) video teef. These setups reek of all the best parts of #R Venom. I actually liked that at certain points you showed where there was a gap for the opponent to escape by jumping out.

Eshi ur videos are pretty interesting man. some nice Mix ups their for sure. solid stuff :)

Miss around with P,HS~ CR setups? maybe u will be able to find more stuff than i do. i commented on ur videos. a lot of ur stuff are escapable, so i presume u showed them as non guarenteed  mix ups correct? though never the less, they are really nice mind games, enjoy them a lot!

I'm new to Venom so I'm learning ball formation stuff in order, starting with 50/50 knockdown situations. I have no video editing software & only a smart phone for recording so I have to selectively upload stuff. When my capture card arrives in the mail tomorrow, I can go much more in-depth with the setups! Especially his YRC shenanigans.

I only just learned this past Sunday how to properly execute [2] > 5S > carcass raid and 5P/S > 5H > carcass raid, so I haven't yet experimented with it. 

Your videos are very nice, I love the zoning formations and teleport setups. Where are you from/what's your gamertag? You definitely don't come across as a new Venom player.

@daiandOh

Hey man. Ya sure i will add the Transcript later today. glad u liked it. i shall do the  Youtube thing, sure :)

@Eshi

Hey man. Ya sure. it really doesnt matter vid quality to be honest, it's all bout editing lol, but gratz anyways! i bit the video quality will be dope. i just like where u are going with what u are doing even if ur new to Venom. "u remind me of myself actually if ur new to venom, especially if to Fighting games in general" so i am happy truly to see people like you Focusing on Tech and experimenting for fun and trying to crack down the chars. just dont forget that Tech is really nothing in my opinion, it's all bout Reaction, reading and matchup haha. 

thank you, my vids arent that good man (ur exaggerating), but i am trying to show what can be helpful as much as i can! so am glad you liked them and hope u guys come up with stuff that shits on mine for sure. yea i live in Philly Eshi, my gamer tag is the same (xxteefxx). and boy how i despise mirror matches >_>

keep up your vids i shall be looking u up!

@SnowMonkeyFunky 

lol Venominal. thank you. see now your exaggerating haha. glad u liked it ;) and yes, they are as much as possible old school/ classical basics

That is just so true , 'tech' is really the easiest part of playing venom ,IMO. the matchups are the hardest part  cause neutral changes constantly depending on what balls you have out and who you are fighting. Especially on netplay where trying to charge is a joke 

Arguably true. The characters that give Venom the most trouble are those that can get around or absolutely shut down ball set in neutral. Those kinds of matchups become games where whoever lands the first clean hit dictates the pace of the match. I mentioned this specifically in the vs. Zato thread because of how drills can eliminate so many of Venom's options, but it also applies to Millia, Chipp, etc. Dai put it best when he said it's just the nature of how Venom plays.

Going back to teef's video, one particular setup shocked me with how simple and effective it is. Specifically: Stuff > 2D xx K ball xx HS ball, meaty fS xx teleport into 50/50. I actually burst out laughing when I got this down in training. I'd imagine it can be Blitz Shielded, but it's so unique and whacky that the blitz option won't occur to most players. EDIT: I just realized how similar it is in concept to the one discussed earlier by GodPress and Poultrygeist. Teef's seem simpler albeit not as air tight.

I recently decided to test out characters' different wake-up timings with certain ball setups. I'll try to make a longer video to demonstrate it soon but, the moral of the story is to learn them all. Things like the safe jump setup don't work correctly on Chipp when it's done too quickly because he has the slowest face-up wakeup in the game and the jH misses. On the other hand, Venom has the fastest face-up wakeup and that allows him to jump out of some of his own setups. 

For reference, character wakeup times are listed here: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=System_Data_(GGXRD)

Most moves knockdown face up, but sweeps knockdown face down. Venom is actually unique - the first hit of his 2D knocks down face down, but the second hit face up.

Some notes to add to the s ball, h ball formation is that it can be used for oki as well. I like to teleport after and you go to the h ball's location, at which point you can hit the s ball, air dash in, ground dash in for a low or do tick throw setups

One thing I didn't notice for the p>k formation is jumping and hitting the k ball with j.K or j s then coming down and doing a block string with enough pushback to hit the the p ball. That seems to be one of the more popular corner uses.

Also, you can slap both balls with jump s

Yeah, I really like the KP formation. I've been meaning to do a small write up on it for a while now but slacked on making a supplementary video, a lack of capture tools is a reason for this. No-one likes potato quality.

With that said, here's a potato quality video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6BeAOphto

K-P formation
I'm increasingly finding myself using this formation more often, especially on characters with a poor reversal game. I will be the first to say that giving up your corner positioning for the cross-up is risky and for the most part I'd advise against it however, it can be just what you need to close out that game.
It also has applications as a same side 50/50 high low as Fino shows (in Eshi's link above) and also crossup/noncrossup applications midscreen off of short confirms too. 

So lets go over the crossup and how this works. The placement of the P ball determines whether or not you will crossup on the teleport or not. Look at where the ball is placed in relation to your opponents body and you should be able to tell whether or not you will teleport infront or behind. For the most part you will teleport infront on wide bodies and crouchers. 

Routes from midscreen for this:
2K > 5S(1) > 2D(1) > K-P set > 5P(BH) > Teleport. (Crossup)
2K > 5S(1) > f.S > 2D(1) > K-P set > 5P(BH) > Teleport. (Non-crossup) 

Corner routes:
2K > 5S(3) > IAD JSHSD > 6H > KQV > P Set > 5P > Teleport (Non-Crossup)
                                                            > P Set > 5P > Dash j.K > Madstruggle / Low(Fino setup) 
                                                            > walk forward P set > 5P > Teleport.  (Crossup)

I'll clean the post up tomorrow. 

hello all. so ya i will get back to cycle of life on the 15th of jan..and sadly i wont have any time to play . maybe like once a week or so. anyways i got some info to share and videos and stuff. the info in here guys some of them are really solid.   i would like to participate in all ,but sadly i dont have time so i will mention somestuff

first  i shall write the transcript hopefully today and post it. maybe u all and daiandoh would like.. secondly , here's something i noticed nobody mentioned. i noticed u guys mentioned ending combos with QV's, which ive been doing so it's good people are aware of it. some stuff i learned from fighting Blacksnake were stuffing in QV charged in ball formation, and ohh god it does wonders!!

the bishop runout is VERY VERY important! it's truly usefull when used correctly! u have to start using it due to the bounce and specially when hit with Dust for wall bounces. the easiest formations and completely safe would be >> after knock down, summon two ball, Bishop~ CR.HS

to move on, u guys aware of the corner setup HS ball, S ball? 

so try this for example, in corner 2k,5S(3), IAD S,HS,Dust, 6HS~ QVHS, S ball summon. jump in place S, Air dash forward.

the whole idea is THIS will plant an exact setup like the P>k S,HS~ CR.S . i shall post a vid for it as well as others so u can visually see it. a simple follow up would be >>

- jump S(hit ball) AD S,HS, land S(1)~ CR.S. dash in S,HS~ CR.S . complete  block stun setup cannot be escaped. u can also dash in S,HS~ ball summon. HS will hit the ball and u will have time to summon

other stuff like >> After knock down mid screen, S>P ball. Dash P(hit ball) SUmmon P>HS ball. Dash in jump P,HS or mix ups whatever u want.

-Other stuff is how to pressure three ball setup in combos. P>k>HS Does wonders!! try it. P> K >HS after hitting P to hit one ball, it wont collide when any other. make u able to TP behind opponent.

lots of stuff anyways that i will share hopefully unless u guys discovered it already :S lol. i shall post vids of me fighting the following:

-Lostsouls

-Shine_IS_dead

-MarvinPie

-Blacksnake

-KBnova

-Symvicious

PS: you guys  know who are those :)?

the reasons is to show some setups specific to each chars. we play lots of matches , so i will post tops two each (one i win, other they win)

later for now. just wanted to say hi, and good stuff in these forums ;) great job

Summon s, summon p hs stinger aim yrc teleport: its a good way to go to the other side of the screen because you teleport to the ball infront of your opponents face. Epecially useful if your opponents is cornered and you wanna get in there without committing to an air dash. Best thing is you can still air dash after teleport, or hit the ball or go low or whatever

hello everyone. so i came up with some stuff and wanted to post them. i shall post the newest tactics, giving 3 different examples. sadly i dont have time to record everything, but i recorded the most solid examples. I talked about how Useful 3 balls setup are, and so i decided to show how and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MqWkjhEVRs

enjoy the vids

the other is enhanced versions with complete guarenteed pressure on opponent with Oki using HS>S and P>K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGT6gzjXxrI

i shall write the transcript breifly

hello everyone. so i came up with some stuff and wanted to post them. i shall post the newest tactics, giving 3 different examples. sadly i dont have time to record everything, but i recorded the most solid examples. I talked about how Useful 3 balls setup are, and so i decided to show how and why.

enjoy the vids

the other is enhanced versions with complete guarenteed pressure on opponent with Oki using HS>S and P>K

i shall write the transcript breifly

Dig the 3 ball stuff, very nice.

3 balls setups vid:

HS> S corner Oki example

1- In here it’s done after a simple: 2k,S(3)~IAD S,HS,Dust, land 6HS~ HSQV, Sball.

Afterwards, jump in place S, AIR dash S,HS >> land S(1)~ CR.s

Followed by a simple low mixup to show oppurutnities

2- The same exact example but ending in S,HS~ CR.S

3 Ball Setups: corner only

1-  in corner, 2K, Standing S(3)~ SQV. Dash jump K,S,HS,Dust. Land 6HS~ KQV, P ball summon

This will simply give the options of Multiple ball teleport. It’s guaranteed with the first follow up until the first TP. In this example you can TP twice.

The guaranteed follow up is Hit  Ball with P. re summon P ball. 2S~ TP

Feel free to do whatever you want. You can cr.S~ Stinger AIM(YRC) TP for further guaranteed enhanced setup, and will still reward you another two TP’s afterwards, though it cause ¼ meter

2- IN corner, 2K,Standing S(3)~ HSQV. Dash jump in K,S,HS,Dust. Land 6HS~ KQV, summon S ball

This will works exactly as the same setup HS>S with an extra Ball setup for your leasure. Complete Guarenteed OKI pressure

In the example it’s followed up by : Jump in Place S. Air dash, S,HS. Land S(1),HS~ CR.S. Backward jump S to hit the last ball into air dash

You can do TONS or variations. Like in the example of the other vid I am posting with this one. You can follow up with prolonged mix up or Air dash S,HS, Land S(1)~ CR.S into low mix ups or another pressure of S,HS~CR.S (watch the green barrier for push).

Or you can simply jump dust…whatever option u like. Experiment and have fun

3-Non Corner 3 ball setup: S>P>K

This is for fun. After ball carry which I will mention later, you can prolong your balls ofcourse for mixups. This one I use it a lot against Pot and chars that are more easily to be pressured by venom. The ball formation is S>P>K

One of many useful ball carry 3 balls setups

4-Funzies in corner using Bishop Runout:

Same exact 3 ball setup, but ending with Bishop runout. Trust me it DOES scare people and it does GOOD!! Really good pressure when used correctly (Props to Blacksnake)

HS>S and P>K enhanced OKI

This is just miscs in general. The standing K is guaranteed and can act as HS with late ball hit property. The good part about standing K is that it’s Jump cancellable. So enjoy your pressure with more varieties now.

1-corner: 2K,Standing S(3), IAD, S,HS,Dust. Land 6HS. Ball summon P>K

All the examples here are quick. Basically works fine with slight prolongation of combos or after throw.

The follow up example is : Dash jump in K(hit ball), late land S. Land S(1)~ Carcass raid.S. Dash in K(Ball hit)~ into IAD

The kick is fast, stuffs opponent and completely guaranteed free pressure . giving you option of IAD for High mixups

2-Corner: 2K,Standing S(3)~ IAD S,HS,Dust. Land 6HS~ HSQV, s ball summon

The follow up is simple and very effective. Guaranteed tell the K hitting ball part like the previous example , thus the IAD is a mixup.

The follow up is: Jump in place S, AD, S,HS. Land S(1) Carcass raid.S, dash in K(hit ball)~IAD

3- Corner: 2K,Standing S(3)~ IAD S,HS,Dust. Land 6HS~ HSQV, s ball summon

The follow up is : Jump in place S, AD S,HS. Land S(1)~ Carcass raid.S , dash in K,HS~Carcass raid S

Yes you can K,HS~ Carcassraid. The whole trick is that you have to run so you can early buffer, otherwise it’s REALLY hard to perform just standing. Not hard to excute, fairly same like S,HS~ CR.S

4--corner: 2K,Standing S(3), IAD, S,HS,Dust. Land 6HS. Ball summon P>K

Last example with aguarenteed pressure for the entire combo.

The follow up is: Dash in Jump K(hit ball), before landing S. Standing S(1)~ Carcass raid.S. Dash in K~ Mad struggle