Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teyah

[Xrd] Millia - Chroming Rose thread

Chroming Rose is Millia's new super in Xrd, and it can be pretty ridiculous.  Use this thread to discuss potential applications for this new install.

Move property changes:

Turbofall: Causes a large trail of roses to cover your descent, putting your enemy into blockstun or punishing them if they try to attack you.  Be careful not to land in throw range.

Run: Roses activate every 6 frames of your run, beginning on frame 13.  Great way to lock down enemies who take to the air to avoid you when CR is active.  Also serves as a shield of sorts when running at the enemy, as they are fairly likely to run into a rose if they stick a hitbox out.

Iron Saviour: Same idea as running, a trail of roses appears behind you.  Also provides you with a way to hit people while you're moving, but leaves you open to being hit as well.  Haircar also goes from -13 on block / knockdown on hit, to +21 on block and +33 on hit (in corner).  There is a small gap between the haircar hitting and the rose appearing, though.

Bad Moon: Your primary go-to for Chroming Rose oki.  With Chroming Rose activated, TK Bad Moon goes from -15 on block / knockdown on hit, to +15 on block / +39 on hit.  This lets you set up repeated TKBM for lockdown, and you can opt for Iron Saviour for a mixup at any time.  Both options covert to full combo.

Throw: After throwing the enemy with CR active, 3 roses appear and launch the enemy allowing for followup.  Your max damage option from this is to simply loop TK Bad Moon over and over.  From a full timer of Chroming Rose, you can deal roughly 160 damage on Sol, which is pretty impressive for a throw combo.  Or for a traditional air combo, you have more than enough time to do a running 6H and go to the standard corner carry combo from there.  For a combination of both, I would recommend doing 2 reps of TKBM (3 reps is tougher, as j.K will no longer combo to j.S), then converting to a corner combo from there.  This nets ~130 damage and a corner knockdown.

Roll -> Digitalis: At the correct spacing (round start and a bit farther back), Digitalis and its followup rose becomes a true blockstring, turning this from -8 on block to +5 on block.  You can attempt to repeat this sequence if you have the enemy scared, as it does good chip damage and is pretty low risk.

Uses for combos:

Bad Moon Loop:
- Your bread and butter, max damage tensionless Chroming Rose combo (~175 on Sol).  In close range, simply repeat TKBM ad infinitum.  Since you get pushed out slowly, after the first couple TKBMs, you can start doing normal jump BMs to continue; this will often knockdown as well, as the last rose should appear low to the ground.

Meatier Secret Garden:
- Any combo ending in Silent Force, land, backdash, 5K xx 214H.  Backdash activates a rose, which combos after 5K and causes a knockdown, allowing for SG to hit more quickly and allows for Millia to recover faster.

Uses for mixup:

Run up 5Sc -> TKBM/2S/Haircar
- Allows for a 50/50 that lets you combo afterwards for no meter.  If you choose to go to TKBM, you can repeat the mixup since TKBM is inescapable and +15 on block; knowing this, your option should be TKBM the majority of the time.  Just don't get too predictable.

IAD, late AD (j.K > j.S)
- This can be used after a blocked 2S when the enemy is cornered, or on its own after a corner knockdown -> activate Chroming Rose.  The idea is to bait the enemy to pressing a button with the late IAD, and if they don't press anything, you get huge frame advantage from the roses that appear.

Corner setups:

Air combo to Silent Force knockdown -> activate Chroming Rose -> TK Turbofall
- Pin knockdown gives you the most setup time.  TK Turbofall floods them with roses as they get up, and you can begin TKBM/low mixup immediately.

Air combo to Silent Force knockdown -> 236H Disc -> activate Chroming Rose
- Similar to the above.  Leaves you at ~+10 to +15 frame advantage.  The great thing about this setup is that during the post-super freeze of Chroming Rose, the disc continues to appear while you and the enemy are still frozen.  This causes the disc to hit meaty, so the only danger here is a perfectly timed reversal throw, but all you have to do is avoid it and the disc will take care of the rest.

Air combo to Silent Force, 6H knockdown xx Chroming Rose -> run up -> backdash -> run up -> 5Sc
- A really versatile starter.  Builds lots of meter before the install, backdash can be used to bait wakeup mash / wakeup DP / wakeup jump.  Run up close 5Sc(2 hits) will antiair them if they tried to jump and got caught by the first rose, which you can confirm to a combo.  Otherwise you can confirm that they've blocked, and go to repeated TKBM/low mixup.

Downsides to Chroming Rose:

- Requires a knockdown to be most effective; using it at neutral is mostly a waste unless time is running low or the enemy has very low HP.
- Meter gain is nearly eliminated when Chroming Rose is active.
- Is absolutely not a comeback mechanic / can only be used when at advantage.  Avoid using it when you are losing, as it halts your momentum heavily (no meter gain, opponent gets burst back quickly during combos).
- Setups and execution need to be tight to make the most use of it.  Make sure you're able to TKBM with at least 80-90% accuracy, as you'll be doing this move - a lot.

Chroming Rose is such a dumb super. It's like 8s of free AC blue disc. If you haven't been using this super yet you should do so now.

It's so gonna get nerfed in the next version :X

Can we talk about how to use Chroming Rose? To me it seems like it only triggers when dashing and on specials, and I am not personally seeing how people are getting so much use out of it. What kinds of setups, traps or combos are most optimal while it's active?

edit: Is this an ideal example? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B_0ssd8dyY#t=44

Looks like it involves a lot of Bad Moon spam.

Can we talk about how to use Chroming Rose? To me it seems like it only triggers when dashing and on specials, and I am not personally seeing how people are getting so much use out of it. What kinds of setups, traps or combos are most optimal while it's active?

edit: Is this an ideal example? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B_0ssd8dyY#t=44

Looks like it involves a lot of Bad Moon spam.

wooo!!!!

Lab time, need to add those my arsenal....the more i play her the more i love the character :)

I usually use it after any knockdown in the corner if I have 50 tension then spam a lot of TK badmoon/haircar and go into her normal bnb if it hits. If the first or second mixup hits right away you still have enough time to use it for the next wakeup. I don't see how it's situational, you can use it pretty much every time you could use a disc. Except flowers stay out if the opponent bursts or deadangles so they can't even properly retaliate :x

Any tips on performing TK Bad Moon with a stick? So far I haven't been able to do it at all, but I've been doing tiger knee motions on a pad for years...

Practice and more practice, it will become muscle memory eventually. Make sure you're doing the full 2369 before pressing P. As you may know delaying or an early P causes TK to come out at different heights. Start off slow if you have to, then tighten up your movements once you're comfortable.

Nice. I wonder what kind of stick he's using. It looks like it requires a lot less effort to dash with than a JLF.

If I'm not mistaken, I have the same stick, it's the HORI Soul Calibur V

Practice and more practice, it will become muscle memory eventually. Make sure you're doing the full 2369 before pressing P. As you may know delaying or an early P causes TK to come out at different heights. Start off slow if you have to, then tighten up your movements once you're comfortable.

I think maybe the main problem is I'm using an octo gate, which makes it a lot harder to find that 9 corner. I'm planning to swap it back to a square, and then I guess I'll just keep trying the motion slowly and hopefully eventually it'll happen...

If I'm not mistaken, I have the same stick, it's the HORI Soul Calibur V

Cool, thanks! When I get PS4 Xrd I think I'm gonna try that blue V4 Hayabusa.

edit: and thanks for making this thread, Teyah. It's very helpful.

Cool, thanks! When I get PS4 Xrd I think I'm gonna try that blue V4 Hayabusa.

I actually own two hayabusas, The hori fighting edge and the RAP V4 for PS4....

The stick suppose to improve execution, it is true that it feels smoother and a tiny bit shorter than the classic sanwa....

so far has gave me pretty good results.

One thing that happened to me with GG is that i change my grip compared to when i play  SF or KOF......

Some people that has execution problems sometimes solve them just changing the way they hold the stick.

just give it a try...you might be surprised, i can TK B-moon's like nobodies business now. and my IAD are 98% consistent.....i was very surprise because i had been using the same grip for almost 10 years, and now have realized that this new one fits me way better....

Himura, I got my Hayabusa yesterday (the Midnight Blue one with the optical lever) and it improved my execution for sure! I was using a bat top with my JLF (and an octo-gate), so that could be part of what was hindering me. I did change my grip style on the Hayabusa because of the ball top. But I think the stick itself is just more accurate, and it definitely requires far less effort to perform motions, especially dashing motions.

I think the entire time I was trying to TK Bad Moon on the JLF I only pulled it off one or two times, basically by accident, whereas on the Hayabusa I was immediately able to do it on at least half my attempts, and I finally pulled off the air BnB combo with the IAD that I was having trouble with. The difference I've experienced is huge, and that was only on the first day! I'm going to keep training with this thing and I know I will improve vastly. :)

Himura, I got my Hayabusa yesterday (the Midnight Blue one with the optical lever) and it improved my execution for sure! I was using a bat top with my JLF (and an octo-gate), so that could be part of what was hindering me. I did change my grip style on the Hayabusa because of the ball top. But I think the stick itself is just more accurate, and it definitely requires far less effort to perform motions, especially dashing motions.

I think the entire time I was trying to TK Bad Moon on the JLF I only pulled it off one or two times, basically by accident, whereas on the Hayabusa I was immediately able to do it on at least half my attempts, and I finally pulled off the air BnB combo with the IAD that I was having trouble with. The difference I've experienced is huge, and that was only on the first day! I'm going to keep training with this thing and I know I will improve vastly. :)

WOOOOOOOOO!!!

that is great news!!!

congratulations!!

really happy to hear it. Keep training, the best is yet to come....once you get those in a real match and make some people hit the panic button...u know, there is not a better feeling :P

welcome to the millia IAD TK BM guild :D

Weirdly, the one issue I'm having with this stick is doing 214 motions... For example, it seems very hard to perform Winger when facing right, as I keep only hitting 1 and not going all the way to 4 on the first part of the motion. I guess I just need to get used to the lever.

I never played on a Hayabusa (it's so fancy! I already knoooow) but you shouldn't need to roll the stick past 1. for example i input winger like 2436H and chroming rose as 2424s. I recommend learning this motion if you don't do so already. Maybe it's just me, but too many fluid motion take a toll on my wrist.

Wow, I had no idea you could simplify the inputs like that! I can do Winger every time now with this stick. And I think you're right, it's easier on the wrist. It is nice for Chroming Rose too.

Can TK Bad Moon be simplified in this way somehow?

I do the full motion for tk moves so I'm not sure if they could be simplified. I don't know why you would try to though, TK moves just need practice to be done with ease, where as connecting winger or emerald rain after a move like 5S can be a handful. 

Yeah, I guess. I'm just having difficulty with the TK because the timing window is so small. I can do it about half the time, and I have streaks where I do it in a row and then can't do it for a while. Guess there's nothing to do but practice.

Off topic, but How are you holding the stick? If I could make a suggestion place it between your finger tips. You may have to feel the directions, your stick is relatively silent, where as mine is an hrap3 everything is stock so I listen.

You mean with my hand cupped underneath it, like holding a wineglass? I can try that... I was using an overhand grip, with my fingers scooping down around the ball like you would hold a stick shift in a car.

I've heard before that an underhanded grip is good. Is it just easier to be accurate that way?

You mean with my hand cupped underneath it, like holding a wineglass? I can try that... I was using an overhand grip, with my fingers scooping down around the ball like you would hold a stick shift in a car.

I've heard before that an underhanded grip is good. Is it just easier to be accurate that way?

Everyone has their own joystick and grip preference. Personally I use the alternate wineglass grip aka Daigo grip (Shaft between ring and pinky finger) Try multiple grips before committing to one. Same with joysticks if you can. JLF may be the standard but I wouldn't worry about it if you aren't using other people's sticks frequently.

I found the most success with having the shaft between my pinky and ring finger. I like it because all I need to do is flick my wrist for left inputs and I can use my fingers for right inputs.

Hm. The pinky and ring finger grip does sound pretty good. I'm gonna try that today, along with the index-and-middle one.

I was watching Woshige play and I noticed that he uses a very loose overhand grip, which is basically the style I've been using. It seems like he just barely touches the stick when he's not actively doing a motion. I imagine there are advantages and disadvantages to this style...

You can see what I mean here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqa1wX8u1js#t=1207

ive been using Daigo style grip for ten years, but now i use the same grip as haitani, notice it  after seeing him playing GG in the video Margatroid just posted, i didnt know....basically no fingers in between the stick and it works perfect for me

my inputs are way more accurate now :)

it all depends on the size of your hand and fingers.....there is not a perfect grip.